Twitter Lists Help You Stay Focused on Twitter
Updated September 26, 2015 – (Original Post from October 2011.)
I have been putting people on Twitter in lists for years now and not fully using these lists to their potential until about a year ago. I had built up quite a following on my own Twitter account. When I wanted to see what was on Twitter, it became difficult to find my focus on my main Twitter feed.
When I teach people how to use Twitter I always recommend them starting out using lists. It can seem overwhelming to them at first but in the long run it will save them time on Twitter.
It took me years to learn this Twitter tip. When something is happening locally I now follow my local folks list. This is great during weather events or any other type of local news stories that is breaking. I also have a list for SEO and when there is talk of a new Google update I’m there using that list to follow the latest SEO news. I use another list for customers of mine in Real Estate. This helps me keep up with their world and what’s happening in the real estate world. I have a total of 282 lists, some of which I subscribed to or am a member of.
It’s fun to get creative with lists. I also tell people to have fun on Twitter so that they use it often. Find your interests and start creating those lists.
5 WaysTo Use Twitter Lists Now!
1) Put all your favorite tweeps on lists, not just one but several if applicable.
2) When you are in your Twitter stream, right click on the lists, see which lists you have created, then click on the one you choose to read. This keeps you focused when on Twitter and saves you much needed TIME. Otherwise you could be on Twitter for hours on end.
3) Subscribe to others lists that include you, it’s like following them on Twitter.
4) You can add yourself to your lists too if you want to be included in a particular group. You must use Tweetdeck or Hootsuite to do this.
5) Create a list for an event. If you are running an event or going to one, create a list. Great way to connect with others!
Twitter List Updates
Remember, you can now have up to 1,000 lists, no more of the old 20! You can have up to 5,000 users on the lists too – no longer just 500. That’s a big improvement on Twitter lists! Remember, you can mention and reply on lists. You can also check out Twitter’s help center for more on lists. Twitter lists are a MUST today if you use Twitter!
Can you see yourself saving time with these Twitter lists? If you use Twitter lists in other ways I’d love to know in the comments below and how many Twitter lists you currently have.