Make Your Facebook Feed Work Absolutely Wonderful For You

Your Facebook Feed – What You Need To Know

Your Facebook FeedI met a woman I’ll call Sally about a year ago. She is a customer of mine and only used Facebook minimally. She wanted to grow her business and realized she really needed to have a Facebook page and more knowledge of using Facebook herself.

It really helped me to understand how non-bloggers and non-marketers use Facebook. They may look for photos of family members and post rarely themselves. They use it as a personal news source.

It’s more of a communications necessity vs. using it as a marketing tool or as a business.

As Sally and I went over how to use Facebook she had no idea how lists worked or why even to create them and use them. I went on to explain that her family members might not want to see her postings related to her real estate business. Or her real estate customers may not want to see pictures of her with friends vacationing, etc. She was getting excited!

How to Use Facebook Lists

You can create lists out of your Facebook friends so that you don’t share everything to everyone. You can share to these lists. You can also create “interest” lists. Things that you are interested in and use the lists likewise. It’s also a great way to see what people in your lists post. You can go to your list and see just that feed instead of your mainstream Facebook Feed. It can save you a lot of time. (Just as Twitter lists do!)

Close Friends – When you make someone a close friend you will see their posts in your feed almost every time and in your notifications. Sally really liked this feature and wondered why she hadn’t been seeing some of her friends posts. She would see them in person and they would ask her if she saw about this or that on Facebook. She was dumbfounded.

Acquaintances – When you don’t want to see someone’s every post, this is a great option. You know the person who shares everything with everyone? You no longer have to see it all. Nice!

Restricted Friends – This is for people like your parents, kids, bosses that you want to be friends with but don’t want them seeing your posts. A little sneaky but it works.

Other Ways to Change Your Facebook Feed

See First OptionDid you know you could change whose posts and pages you see first? You can choose up to 30 pages and people whose posts you will see first in your Facebook feed… Click To TweetYou can choose up to 30 pages and people whose posts you will see first in your Facebook feed above all the others. See the Slideshare below for more details. This is a great way to see posts from pages that tend to get lost in your Facebook feed.  Sally may use this one for her new Facebook Page so her fans can see all of her posts.

Notifications – If you don’t click turn on notifications you won’t see them in your notifications. That’s usually what I look at first. And if you set your mobile to make a noise or vibration you will be notified instantly. You may want to be extremely selective in which you choose to use notifications. Notifications can get annoying if you have too many.

Click on Posts – If you are seeing posts that don’t interest you – you have an option. You can click on the right side of them and see the selection of choices. Some choices include: Hide Post, Unfollow XYZ, Hide All From XYZ, or turn ON notifications.

Story Preferences – You can change what you see from people with this option. You can customize by life events, photos, games, etc. Nice if you want to avoid seeing games that your friends are playing and yet want to see their new photo updates.

You really can have more control of your Facebook Feed and save yourself valuable time when on Facebook. These options are available on desktop and mobile as well.

Facebook Algorithm Changes

There are over 1.5 billion people now using Facebook. Facebook has over the years had to change the ways in which people view their Facebook feeds. An average Facebook user looks at 300 posts per day. It would really be impossible to see everything  everyone posted. Even if you had a just a few friends and liked several pages. There are now sponsored posts and related posts. There are over 100,000 different factors now that play into the Facebook Algorithm. A few top ones to take note of are:

• Engagement – If you comment on a friends post or a pages post you will more likely see more from them.
  • Relevancy – If topics are relevant to what you post about, etc you may see their posts more often.
  • Sharing – If a post is shared by you, you may see more posts from that person or page.
  • Time – How much time one spends reading a post is also a factor in your Facebook feed. The more time you spend reading one, the more likely you will see more like it in the future in your Facebook feed.
  • Liking a Post – Likes have decreased in value over time but are still a small factor.
  • Hiding a Post – This will likely show you less from that person or page in the future on your Facebook feed.
  • Links – How you post a link may also impact how many people see it. It’s best if you can start with a comment about it, share the link url and image. Uploading your own image sometimes helps too, especially if it is larger than one from the website. If you are sharing a link it is best to use the link preview format. If you are sharing just a photo it’s best not to post a link within a caption.

Of course this may all change the next time Facebook makes changes to it’s algorithm. They have become more like Google with constant changes of how we view things online and how one can get their links and stories shared across the web.

Do you use Lists often when sharing?
What is your favorite thing about your Facebook feed that you can customize?
What other advice would you have for Sally?
Top Image courtesy of arztsamui at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

24 Responses to Make Your Facebook Feed Work Absolutely Wonderful For You

• Ravi Roshan Jaiswal says:

Hello Lisa Ma,am!
    Nice to be here!

You have shared great informative article, and it is really a great knowledge about Facebook.

Generally, people use the Facebook, even I also but do not care about these small things which is really great beneficial idea.

I hope you will come back with some more idea ma,am…
    Waiting..

Thanks a lot for sharing :)
    – Ravi.

• Belina says:

Lisa this is a really nice article I quickly shared it. I really learnt a lot I didn’t ever know there was such a thing as restricted friends. At least now I know I can segment my list

• Robin khokhar

The tips about facebook are good. I regularly use Facebook but was not knowing about these things. So, thanks for share. 😛
    Robin khokhar recently posted…10 Online Grammar Checker Tools To Avoid Grammatical ErrorsMy Profile

• Mansi Padhya says:

Great information about using lists. There is a lot I need to learn about Facebook. Your slideshow is awesome!
    Thanks for sharing this. :-)

• This is awesome Lisa!

Wow, there is a lot I need to learn about Facebook. I guess because it’s my least favorite social media site that I don’t take the time to learn all their features but you pointed out some important ones that would be useful for me.

Your slideshow is awesome! Thanks for taking the time to put this together for us. Forget Twitter Queen, you’re the Social Media Queen! :)

Happy Tuesday!

Cori
    Corina Ramos recently posted…The Sticky-Note Mom’s Guide to Calendar PlanningMy Profile

Hi Corina, thank you. I’m just more cautious on Facebook. It amazes me sometimes I’d post something and coworkers would comment to me on purpose but never on FB. Another reason I use the groups. I also get tired of some folks who overpost and don’t want to unfriendly them but I can control how much I now see of their posts. Crazy how complicated it has become Corina. Thanks for coming by and glad you found it helpful. Have a great rest of the week.

• Brenda P

I love having Lists on Facebook. I don’t always share content to specific lists for fear of excluding someone who may want to see what I’m sharing. However, I do use lists to keep certain topics together and scan them periodically. For example, I have a List for Bloggers and Furbabies. All my blogging buddies go into, of course, the Bloggers list. There are times when I will ask a Blogger List specific question. I’ll do the same with my Furbabies one as well. However, like I said previously, for sharing, I generally share to all and make it public. That way, it gets shared directly to my Twitter as well.

It’s great that you help “Sally” understand lists. There are so many people that don’t even know that awesome option is available. You know I’ll be passing this one along as it can help so many, including my husband.

Happy Monday!
    Brenda P recently posted…What Can Social Media Do For Your Small BusinessMy Profile

Hi Brenda, interesting how you use your lists. I’m so afraid of posting too much and am careful what I share. I don’t like all posts going to Twitter either. When I’m on Twitter I think, if I wanted to be on Facebook now I’d be there …lol that’s just me. I occasionally do the public option and let it go to Twitter. Amazing how much thinking we have to do with this stuff. It keeps on getting more complicated. Thanks for coming by, sharing your input and this post. Hope your Tuesday is going well.

Hi LIsa

Great information about using lists. I didn’t know how to use them.

I get frustrated every time I see a post on my phone that I want to read, forget to save it then look for it on my computer and not be able to find it. I have been using the F.B. Purity extension, which helps.

Thanks again for what you do. Even though I don’t comment all the time, I still read your articles in my feed and share them.
    Lauren

Hi Lauren, thank you so much. Glad you found it helpful. It really is not easy staying up to date with the changes on the various social media networks. Soon as you get used to one, there are new changes. I really appreciate your sharing my posts too. I hope you have a great rest of the week Lauren!

• Adrian Jock

Awesome guide. I use Facebook like I use Twitter: I never check my home feed. Only the lists.

Regarding the sharing with groups of people (instead of public posts), I’ve seen it used by Harleena, but I’m not very sure it’s a good idea. It’s a double edge sword – there are also disadvantages. I won’t enter into details though :)
    Adrian Jock recently posted…Did Your Blog Monetization Fail? Food for ThoughtMy Profile

• Sunday William

There are quite a lot of Facebook features we ignore. These are powerful marketing promotional tools. I use list a lot but a lot of marketers don’t use it wonder why they aren’t getting better results with Facebook. Another option I utilize effectively is Facebook Groups. This is readily helps to drive target traffic for conversion. Your post is well explained!
    Sunday William recently posted…Why You Need a Content Library for Leads Generation and ConversionMy Profile

Hi Sunday, we, many people do ignore all those features. It can get overwhelming if you don’t spend much time there. I just downloaded the Facebook group apps a few weeks ago to stay a little more organized but being in 20+ groups is still overwhelming. I have to cut them down to maybe a dozen. How many are you in Sunday? Thanks for coming by and have a great week!
      Lisa recently posted…Make Your Facebook Feed Work Absolutely Wonderful For YouMy Profile

• Adrienne says:

That was so nice of you to help Sally out. I know that anyone just coming online can be very confused by how all of these different platforms work. My poor Mom, it’s always over her head when I open up Facebook and try to show her some pictures. That newsfeed just goes way too fast for her and of course she doesn’t understand how it all works.

Explaining lists to her I’m sure was very helpful. That has been a life saver for me since we know that not all of our Facebook friends want to see everything we post.

Facebook is constantly changing and updating things just like everyone else too so we have to stay on top of things so we don’t get left behind either. I’m just thrilled there are people who are helping me stay on top of all those changes like you. It can be overwhelming at times.

Thanks for this post and I’ll be sure to share this as well. I’m sure I have some friends on Facebook who are still a little confused about how this all works too.

Enjoy your week and stay warm.

Hi Adrienne, I felt bad when she didn’t understand how to do some of the things that would help her. Aparently she isn’t the only one as I got a comment on Triberr and email about others unaware of those Facebook feed options. It is hard to stay on top of it all if you are not logged in daily. I love the use of lists on both Facebook and Twitter and I love the see first option now on Facebook too. We can really taylor our feeds to our liking :) Thanks Adrienne and the sun is at least warm here…..

• Harleena

Interesting indeed :)

Yes, just like Twitter, even Facebook keeps changing, and is becoming more like G+, though they have their own audience and kind of people.

You are right about all that we can enable on FB and the feeds we wish to see. I think lists are wonderful there, and I have made mine long back, so sharing becomes more focused and with the relevant kind of people. You can make many of those if you’d like, and even share your posts with them at various times, depending on the time zone. I think the best thing about the FB feed is to customize the posts you want to see foremost, so you don’t have to go to the end to check out the ones related to you.

Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week ahead :)
    Harleena recently posted…5 Steps To Turn Your Blog Posts Into An Online CourseMy Profile