Twitter Celebrating It’s 10th Year – What You Should Know
Twitter – It all began just over 10 years ago. An all day brainstorming session by the board of directors at Odeo (a podcasting company) where Jack Dorsey was an undergraduate student worked. It was there that a short message service idea was born.
Twitters name at first first was twtt. It meant “a short burst of inconsequential information”.
Twitter wasn’t sure of itself in the very beginning, was it a social networking site or a microblogging system? As time went on it also become an information network as well.
Today folks still wonder what Twitter actually is. Many have struggled to learn how to use Twitter while many others have embraced it and used it in all 3 ways.
The 3 Ways of Using Twitter
- A Social Network,
- A Microblogging system and
- An Information Network at it’s best.
It was 10 years ago today the first ever tweet was sent out by one of it’s founders Jack Dorsey.
just setting up my twttr
— Jack (@jack) March 21, 2006
10 Valuable Twitter Tidbits as Twitter Celebrates 10 Years!
- Making Twitter More Useful – The Wall St. Journal’s post on Twitter being more useful was recently published with some great ways to use Twitter more as a news network. Many Twitter non-users really miss out on this one Twitter feature.
- Twitter is Sticking With 140 Characters YAY! I was very excited to read this latest news about Twitter. I think they listened to their active users on this one. It was back in January 2016 when rumors were flying around about Twitters 140 character count being expanded on. This will keep Twitter as a microblogging system.
- Personalized Twitter Timelines Are Now Available. – You can go to your settings under Content and check off the box for “show me the best tweets first”. These tweets were chosen by Twitter based on accounts you interact with most, Tweets you engage with, and more. You can uncheck this box at any time to go back to the original Twitter timeline if you want.
- GIF Images – You can now post with GIF images on Twitter. This is a recent change to the Twitterverse. It’s only been a month and Carol from The Wonder of Tech explains in her post how you can easily do it yourself now. Another good reason for Twitter celebrating today.
- Tweet Deck for Windows Going Away – For those of you I know that use TweetDeck via Windows, it will be going away! You will be able to use the web version. They will also no longer requiring users to log in to TweetDeck separately. That is, if you have the Twitter website open and are already logged in, you will be able to skip the log-in process on TweetDeck.
And there’s more!
- Can you guess the most popular hashtag on Twitter? It is #FF (for follow Friday) and has over 539 million mentions according to recode.net. That hashtag has been around quite some time. It is a great way to thank your followers on a Friday.
- Twitter Predicting Hurricane Damage. If you are a Hurricane watcher you may be interested to know how Twitter is becoming in the forefront of predicting hurricane damage via Science.og. Their article Twitter can predict hurricane damage as well as emergency agencies explains. I know when storms come around my area, Twitter is the first place I go to.
- Twitter Moments. These have been around for a few months now but it really makes them more focused on news on the following categories; news, election 2016, sports, entertainment and fun. They do add in other specials like NCAA when it’s current. It makes it so much easier for you to follow events as they happen.
- Twitter Lists. I am so glad Twitter has kept this feature the same for us. They had expanded how many we can have over the years. If you are still not using them – read this and set some Twitter lists up today! They will make you a Twitter power user.
- Twitter Anticipation – What will be next for Twitter in the coming years? Will Twitter continue to evolve and change or will they keep many of the features as they are now? There are so many articles today on Twitter’s demise but Twitter continues to stay in the top 5 of the social networks that people log into day after day.
— Lisa (@Lisapatb) March 20, 2016
See Twitter celebrating it’s 10th birthday on their timeline:
Starting in ?? on 3/21 and moving across the ?, we thank you for 10 incredible years.
— Twitter (@twitter) March 20, 2016
Are you celebrating Twitter on it’s 10th birthday? What are your favorite things about Twitter today?
What what do you want to see Twitter celebrating next?
Twitter birthday image courtesy of digitalart at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
- 6 Ways to Improve and Market an Online Course That Isn’t Selling - September 28, 2022
- 10 B2B Marketing Strategies To Grow Your Business - September 27, 2022
- How to Start and Maintain a Successful YouTube Channel - September 26, 2022