Twitter Share Count Is Gone – Do You Really Care?

Are You Missing the Twitter Share Count Button?

Twitter Share CountIt’s been a few weeks now and the Twitter Share Count Button is really gone. It disappeared on a Friday. Some people knew in advance by reading the Twitter blog. Others were taken aback by the move. They were surprised one day to notice on their websites that the share count # went missing. It just disappeared.

Many people in the Twitterverse felt the Twitter Share Count gave them social proof and validated their Twitter presence.

Social proof is also known as informational social influence, is a psychological phenomenon where people assume the actions of others in an attempt to reflect correct behavior for a given situation.  (Social Proof According to Wikipedia)

Social Proof – Is It Enough To Measure?

Does social proof truly measure our content’s ability to be read and acted upon? I say NO. What really counts is who reads the content from clicking on the links in their Twitter Feed. Adrian Jock of  Adrian Jock’s Internet Tips recently wrote about this the other week. He shows the amount of clicks per tweet is a better measurement of our success on Twitter. You can check it out via the Twitter analytics in your Twitter account. (See my sample below).

Twitter Links

Are the people that send links to your tweets the best measurement tool you can use for your Twitter Analytics? It’s probably the best one thus far today. That’s why you are tweeting right? To get people to your blog or website is what counts!

Now if you do Twitter ads you can measure the conversion rate which is another great way to see who is clicking on your paid links in the Twitter feed.

Thanks to my top Twitter linkers above!

Twitter Engagement

How about the tweets with the most engagement? How does it compare? Engagement is key to overall success on Twitter so it must be considered too. You can also see your most engaged tweet like mine below in the Twitter Analytics section of your Twitter account.

Thank you Melissa for the share!

Top Tweets – Do They Count?Top Tweet

What about your top tweet? It gets engagement and links together. How can we analyze that Twitter data? This one got links and engagement as well as retweets. This can give you clues on what your audience likes to see you tweet about. Analytics like this can replace that Twitter Share Count for you. But only you can see it, not your audience. How will you be able to show your social proof on Twitter now? I think the answer may be that the third party developers at plugins use the TOTAL share count button vs. each individual social network count. Some developers can pay big bucks to get the Twitter count via Gnip. But I think if we really want it – it will cost us in one way or another eventually. Twitter has to make money, right? If you are really against the Twitter Share Count no longer being available you can join the protest on Twitter via the hashtag #SaveOurShareCounts.

So were you surprised to see the Twitter Share Count gone a few Fridays ago?

Are you lost without the share count button or have you not even noticed yet?

Top Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

33 Responses to Twitter Share Count Is Gone – Do You Really Care?

• Pritam .N says:

I hope all is going great for you and you have a fantastic success in your life . Be safe. Keep getting stronger and hope you are healing well still. : )

• Angellina Lear says:

I was one who got bent out of shape about it, at first. But now that it’s missing, it doesn’t bother me as much. I’m forced to look more at my Google Analytics to see what traffic is coming from Twitter versus how I used to judge by the shares. It’s actually a Win-Win for me now. Good to know that there is a way to get it back though. I’ll be passing this one along.

• Purushottam Thakur says:

I hate anything that makes the web less transparent. While I agree with others that share count data isn’t the only metric that matters, and certainly not the most important, it does serve as at least a relative indicator of content that is resonating with an audience.

• Ravi Chahar

I didn’t even notice it. I mean it’s hard to notice that Twitter count has disappeared. It may affect many people who have many followers and the total number of counts were high. But somehow it doesn’t matter when you have loyal readers who share your blog posts.

I know it would not be good for many people. But it is the new trend and we have to move with it.
    Thanks for letting me know.
    Enjoy your day.
    ~Ravi
    Ravi Chahar recently posted…How To Stop Featured Image Appearing Twice In The Post?My Profile

• Raphael says:

Hello Lisa,
    When i first noticed this, i thought my social share plugin had suddenly gone bad. It was days later that i read this somewhere (can’t really recall where exactly). I really don’t know the motive behind this, especially for the fact that twitter happens to be my favourite social network and i love to see the numbers there.

Well, it doesn’t seem to have changed anything, just a matter of time and it’ll seem normal. I like that you pointed out the fact, what really counts is not the shares but the clicks.

We miss the count tho, but we’ve also learnt to embrace development.

Have a nice weekend Lisa, thanks for sharing this post.

Hi Raphael, there are some new apps that came out since I wrote this post and they may be able to help show the count again if even for only the past 7 days. I may do a follow up soon as I’m seeing more and more of them coming out now. Some are FREE others cost money. I think that’s what Twitter may have wanted, to make some revenue via it. Time will tell. It’s still my favorite place. After all Facebook makes money off ads so Pages and posts and get views since they changed their alogorithm and not everyone can see everything anymore there. We knew social media could not always be FREE. Thanks for your input on this one Raphael!
      Lisa recently posted…Twitter Share Count Is Gone – Do You Really Care?My Profile

• Adrianna Roosey says:

I’m shocked!
    Won’t Twitter lose a lot of traffic this way? I mean if you tot up all blogs and their sharing of posts on Twitter through the sharebars- this would amount to a huge daily volume of traffic.

I see that you’ve taken Twitter off your sharebar. If all bloggers do this it should be a significant loss for Twitter.

Is there a way we can tell Twitter about our dismay?

Otherwise an impressive and interesting inforamtion about Twitter and I really enjoyed to reading this post.

Adrianna

• Irish Carter

Honestly, I didn’t even notice it was gone until others started talking about it. I like all the other methods you shared to identify how tweets are getting measured and used.

I hope all is going great for you and you have a fantastic holiday. Be safe. Keep getting stronger and hope you are healing well still. : )

Irish
    Irish Carter recently posted…How to Build Your Self EsteemMy Profile

How did I miss this post? I can’t believe this one is from last month and I’m just now getting over here. Oh wow, I’ve been SO lax lately so I apologize.

I was forewarned about this change as you know. I’m only upset about this because as Adrian mentioned above, not everyone understands totally how all of this works so in their minds they see those numbers and the interaction on your blog and then they determine whether or not you’re someone they should listen to. Are the numbers always right? No numbers are 100% right but it’s a good gauge to go by. Should the content speak for itself? It should but it doesn’t always.

I understand with the new guy at the wheel that things were going to change. I also understand that they’re not like Facebook and are going to start making you pay for things we’ve been able to get for free for all these years. Like with Facebook, some people are more than willing to do that while others are not. I do understand that the expense is very high to put all of this back into place so I’m not sure what this will mean for a lot of people but I have already read a few statistics that has shown their drop in Twitter sharing and engagement since this change.

We can never expect things to stay the same so we now have to learn to go with the flow right! Only time will tell what kind of affect this will have for people who counted on those numbers.

Appreciate this share and I know you’re enjoying your December. Have a great holiday my dear.

Adrienne recently posted…Special Announcement, Happy Birthday Wish, Your Holiday GiftMy Profile

Hi Adrienne, no apologies needed, I’m way behind this month between vacation and holidays coming up. (it’s never too late!) Oh yes, they did probably to make money, that’s why I think Twitter made the change. You may have seen via Adrian today that there is a new FREE service to get your shares back, you must have certain plugins or add the code yourself to your site to do it. I’m testing it out. I also saw on Twitter today via our tweets together that there is another service too as well. So they will be popping out all over the place I bet. I guess social media can’t all be FREE right? They are in business to make money too. Thanks for coming by and I hope you have a great rest of the week and a wonderful holiday too Adrienne.

• Glenn Shepherd

Well thanks for sharing this – if it hadn’t have been for reading this I would have still been in the dark! I was hosting a webinar last week and I actually pointed out to the attendees that I knew for a fact that the post that i was showing on the screen had most definitely been shared, yet it was displaying zero and I didn’t know why. No-on on the webinar offered an explanation, so the likelihood is that none of them were aware of it either!

It seems totally barmy to me that they removed it. As James said above, why fix something that isn’t broken? I, too, can’t see any possible benefits for it’s removal. All it does now is make things look odd, as Jason mentioned. Someone may have, for example, 45 Facebook shares, 10 Pinterest shares, 5 Stumbleupon shares, 15 LinkedIn shares and then 0 Twitter shares. Considering that Facebook and Twitter are usually the top two social media shares that we see on a blog post, it looks very odd indeed to see a big, fat zero by the Twitter button.

Also, I’ve noticed that some social sharing plugins don’t even display a 0, so you have all these buttons with little tabs attached to them and then the Twitter one that just looks faulty!

As has been mentioned, the most important thing is what actually comes from sharing content on and interacting with people via Twitter, but I do hope that they reinstate the count functionality because it serves no purpose at all to not have it, so far as I can see. Whether they will actually listen to their users or ‘do a Google/Facebook’ and completely ignore what people want, remains to be seen.

Thanks again for sharing this info, I now understand the reason why my Twitter shares haven’t been showing up even if I don’t understand Twitter’s reasoning behind it! 😐

»Glenn«
    Glenn Shepherd recently posted…What Hiking Can Teach You about Online BusinessMy Profile

• Jason Benway

I miss it more on other people’s sites than my own.
    It just looks odd to see the shares from facebook then nothing on twitter. Plus I like to find new hidden post that not everyone has already tweeted about. Now I don’t have a quick way to tell if the post is old news or not :)
    Jason Benway recently posted…A wonderful year for comic book moviesMy Profile

• Mitch Mitchell

Truthfully, until I knew Twitter was taking the numbers away I hadn’t paid them much attention. Now… well, I kind of miss those numbers, but I get more enjoyment seeing how many people are sharing the articles on Twitter instead. I know it doesn’t necessarily translate into more visits but then neither did the Twitter counts. So… I’m good! 😉
    Mitch Mitchell recently posted…The Proliferation Of “Fake” On Social MediaMy Profile

Hi Mitch, LOL, sometimes you don’t miss something til it’s no longer there (part of human nature). It is sort of a fake sense of security I think. The share #’s gave us something to hang on to. I wonder if the other networks will follow suite, maybe their will be a new measurement of sorts. Thanks for coming by Mitch and enjoy the warm weather in these parts this weekend!

• Hi Lisa!

I have to admit, I’m not all that happy about the change. Really, I don’t see any benefits that have come from it and I’m not a fan of fixing something that’s not broken. I’m sure Twitter had their own reasons but it doesn’t help us marketers much.

I agree with Harleena in the idea that the real connections and interactions are what matter most. Still, having a large number of Twitter shares did help a bit in terms of credibility and proved to new people that our articles are being talked about, so this update is disappointing.

Fortunately, I have just begun building my prescense up on Facebook so if this change was bound to come, I’m glad it came now.
    James McAllister recently posted…These 5 Things Are Distracting You From Achieving Your Blogging GoalsMy Profile

Hi James, sorry for late response, was on vacation. I agree – I don’t see “real” benefits – just info we like to see for our own “sake”. I think credibility is the key issue for many people. I wonder if the other social networks will follow suite though James? Interesting ….thanks for coming by and for your input on this topic. Have a great weekend ahead James!

• Karen Woodham

I have to say at first I was annoyed, having a “total shares” counter on my buttons to show the total across the networks, took a massive hit when Twitter decided to remove the counts, the majority of my articles have had the biggest numbers from Twitter. But then after a few moments of screaming at the screen, I decided to calm down.

Yes it does show a big impact when visitors come to the site and see nothing on the Twitter counter, but then again I can still get the stats via the analytics etc. But having the counter there for possible advertisers to see was pretty darn useful!
    Karen Woodham recently posted…Right Said Fred to release new album with PledgeMusicMy Profile

Hi Karen, Yes, it sure did look nice when the Twitter share count was there. I agree with the advertisers, hopefully they will be aware of the Twitter changes and not be so judgemental. Would you like to see a one share count for all social media? I’m thinking that could be a possible solution. Or Twitter could be coming up with a way to charge for that metric in the future. Thanks Karen for your input on this one! Have a great week.

• Adrian Jock

1) Thank you for the mention and the link.

2) From a reader’s perspective, I don’t value the share counts. My decisions whether to read an article or not and whether to share an article or not aren’t based on the shares count of that article. I never check that metric.

3) From marketing point of view, the share count tells me nothing.

I still keep in my files the screen capture of a tweet where a certain person shared one of my articles. That tweet got 252 retweets within 17 minutes. Zero clicks. Definitely 252 bot-retweets. I have tons of different examples that convinced me that the number of retweets don’t prove anything.

Another example: Maybe you remember my article “5 Reasons Why Not to Retweet Using Twitter’s Native Button” Every time I share it and I add a certain hashtag, some gurus :roll: retweet it automatically. Based on that hashtag. It’s funny seeing how they retweet an article that says not to do what they just did.

If I replace that article with the text – “Name of that Guru” is stupid – plus that magic hashtag, those gurus will retweet it too. Because many retweets aren’t based on the value of the article. They are automatic retweets based on hashtags.

What’s the value of these retweets? I can keep giving you different examples. The situations are different, but the conclusion isn’t different.

4) Do I show the share count on my blogs? Of course I show them. Why? Because many people don’t think like me. So… while I didn’t plan to convince anyone that the share counts are pretty useless, I give the people what they want. If they wanna see the share count, I show the share count :mrgreen:

Have a great week ahead, Lisa!
    Adrian Jock recently posted…Twitter Myth: URL Shorteners Save Space – Busted!My Profile

Hi Adrian, you are welcome. I would agree from the readers perspective it doesn’t really matter. I think on the marketing end the share count gave us a sense of social proof, whether or not accurate is debatable of course. Many people don’t do well with change and this is another change for Twitter. I like your examples Adrian, thanks for sharing those with us. Great point that you still show them for other people who do care, very smart move on your part! You too Adrian, enjoy the rest of your week.

• Brenda Pace

Glad to see you talking about this. I, for one, miss seeing that little number next to my Tweet button. :) Rarely do I go into my Twitter analytics. I always forget. I’m so angry about it, I’ve been contemplating leaving Twitter altogether! haha No, not really. You know I couldn’t do that. But some people really did enjoy having that count there. I just don’t understand the reasoning behind Twitter removing it. I say bad move but who am I?

Did it bother you? Hope you’re having a great Monday!

B
    Brenda Pace recently posted…Will the Blog Sharing Madness Ever End?My Profile

Hi Brenda, I could not help myself :) I thought so at first too but after I read more and learned more it’s not so bad. It is just that we were used to it being there and it gave us a little guidance – even if false in a way. I think they will find a way to make money by bringing it back or another form of social proof? It bothered me at first but I’m okay with it now. Yes, and getting into vacation mode. Have a great rest of the week Brenda, thanks for coming by and taking the time to comment.

• Debbie D.

Hi, Lisa; I did notice, and actually thought there was some kind of a glitch! Then I did a Google search (always helpful) and found out the truth. It wouldn’t bother me, except the Facebook button beside it still shows shares. It would be better if that was eliminated as well, then.
    Debbie D. recently posted…ALMOST CUT MY HAIR!My Profile

• Harleena

Oh yes! I think most of us noticed it, especially bloggers and those who have a huge Twitter following and count :)

I think it’s tough to not notice! The total number of shares per post is certainly affected and those of us who are also on Triberr and Justretweet etc, it’s noticeable all the more.

However, one doesn’t have to let it really affect you, as the real things that matter, as you mentioned in the real interactions and connections you make on Twitter, which helps the click through rate. The only thing that shows is the reduced share count, otherwise I don’t see much of a difference, even in the interaction or the number of tweets – they are all the same. And you never know, they might just be back :)

Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week ahead :)
    Harleena recently posted…Understanding and Managing Emotions Using Your Inner VoiceMy Profile