Pinterest Pins Last Much Longer Than Tweets or Other Posts

Pinterest Pins Last!

Pinterest pins really last longer than any other social share. Have you ever checked out a referral from your Google analytics to find it was a pin from months ago or even more than a year? Would that ever happen via a month old tweet or Facebook post?

Pinterest Pins

Facebook Posts

The average Facebook post lasts 3 hours. That’s it! Of course it depends on the algorithm and how many followers or fans you may have at that time. A good rule of thumb is not to post more than 1x every 3 hours. You can now use the auto scheduling right on Facebook or use the The Buffer or Hootsuite. There are many tools out there for scheduling your social media posts.

A Tweets LifeCycle tweets per hour

Tweets last for 18 minutes on average according to data from Moz. No wonder we can tweet a lot more vs. posting over at Facebook. Just be careful not to tweet too much within 18 minutes. 1x is enough. Do the math: 1440 minutes per day / 18 minutes = 80 times per day or 3.3 tweets per hour. (That would not count your conversations via Twitter or Re-Tweets.)

Stumbles Life cycle

Stumble Upon stumbles can last up to 400 hours. That is 16.6 days. But beware – if you  get a lot of traffic from there it can kill your bounce rate. You will have more than balls bouncing from your website. Google will not like the high bounce rate and may punish your website for it.

Google+ Posts

I could not find info on this one but learned that if you share a post public it can be shared from others and seen by anyone on Google. You can read more of  the Google+ update on Mashable.  That could add some extra zing to those posts! If anyone knows the life cycle of a Google+ post post I will add it here with your info and a link.

one pinterest pinThe Staying Power of Pinterest Pins and How Pinterest Pins Last!

Pinterest Pins can last for months and even years. You can arrange your pin boards to show off an old pin as your cover to get more repins. When you pin new pins and new visitors come to your pinboard, they can find old pins quickly and easily.

Not so with any other social network web site!

You have more control with Pinterest vs. any other social network site. You get to choose where to place your pins. You cannot do that via Twitter or Facebook. They go into an automatic feed.

Search Engine Journal recommends to be active on Pinterest to pin anywhere from 5-30 pins per day.  I do notice when I pin about 5 per day I get more repins and some are from months or even a year or more old.  Again be careful not to pin them all at once. (You can use Pinography to schedule them) If I see a lot from one user that I don’t like I may unfollow them. And remember the Pinterest app for mobile makes it easy, it’s the best social media mobile app out there!

Need more reasons to pin?

Check out this infographic via The Sandbox.

Are you using Pinterest Pins in your marketing plan?

Have you found your pins from long ago still being re-pinned today?

58 Responses to Pinterest Pins Last Much Longer Than Tweets or Other Posts

• Charmie

By far I have now come to know that why it is recommended to keep on resharing and retweeting your stuffs rather than leaving it once posted. I never knew pinterest statistics related the life time of our postings.
    Thanks for making me aware.
    Charmie recently posted…DigiHawker Review – The Right Strategy To Make Money OnlineMy Profile

• Michelle

The fact that Pinterest allows this to be possible is amazing. Pinterest is a top social media site for many reasons, this being one of them.
    Michelle recently posted…ADK brides & grooms: join the conversation!My Profile

• Tom Jamieson

Hey Lisa, great info here. I had no idea Pinterest pins had such a long life cycle, although I guess Pinterest still has a stigma for being marketed towards women more than men. I recently came across GentleMint, which is basically a Pinterest for men. HA! Have a great day!
    Tom Jamieson recently posted…The Great Benefits Of Search Engine OptimizationMy Profile

• Lindsay says:

I agree. They seem to last longer and when you hit the top pins, you really gain a lot of followers.

• Sylviane Nuccio

I had missed that post and found it on Biz Sugar.

I know many people who are still not using Pinterest, but there are definitely some advantages in using this social media tool.

I don’t have the time to investigate further at this time, but this social media certainly has lots of potentials. I had no idea about the numbers you’re talking about here. A new info for me.

Have a great Sunday 🙂
    Sylviane Nuccio recently posted…How To Become A Money Magnet – Part TwoMy Profile

• Ashutosh

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful and informative post about Pinterest. I am a new user and still getting my eyes and min conversant with the navigations and its values. Your article is quite motivative and I am sure it si going to help me get well along with Pinterest. Thanks once again.
    Ashutosh recently posted…Successful Small Business Ideas – Inception to ImplementationMy Profile

Interesting data. Thanks for sharing it with the BizSugar community. I think one of the most important takeaways when looking at the impact of any social media platform is to ask the question, what is this channel most effective at accomplishing? I dislike trying to answer questions about which social channel is best. The real question is, the best at what? What is it you are trying to accomplish? Once you answer that question, you can make more effective decisions about the best channels to use.
    Heather Stone recently posted…Pinterest Pins Last Much Longer Than Tweets or Other PostsMy Profile

• Aisha says:

This is a very interesting read. The truth is that ‘Likes’ are cheap but pinboard real estate is in limited supply. That’s because liking a few things doesn’t make you what we call ‘relevance player’…someone people look to to set trends or provide insight not found elsewhere.

• yogesh pant

I have been using pinterest for hardly some time.
    That means I am quite new in this and do not know the related advantages.
    It was good to know that pinterest has much to offer than twitter or even facebook.
    I shall give it a try. Lets see what it can do for me!

• Margarita

Lisa,

such a great information. I have never thought before about the duration on each social media status update. I am disappointed with Facebook and impressed by Pinterest. When I repin a post, is it necessary to paste the link in the description? Also, do we have to pin only priginal images. When you say that you pin 5 times, is it a different post or pic every time or you can pin the same post may be with different description.

Thank you! Loved the information. 🙂
    Margarita recently posted…How To Get Out Of Your Rut? | Hamster Wheel For SaleMy Profile

• Arleen says:

I have to agree with that the Pins do last much longer and are shared much more than any of the Facebook posts or even on Twitter or anywhere else. It is funny yesterday I was looking on the internet and found one of my tote bags so I clicked on it and was surprised that it was pinned. The more I looked the more I saw that many of the products I sell were pinned. I was telling my web designer we need to look into to this more. Your article reconfirmed that idea.

Stats comes into play here 😉 I can see you have did your homework again.

Actually I’m not very active on Pinterest lately but still I can see traffic flowing from there Lisa 🙂 You are right. Twitter, Facebook and Google+ bury updates and gives priority for latest content due to their top to bottom approach. But when you stop by on a Pinterest profile, you can access and view what sorts of pins being pinned over there. Even the first one. Everything scattered into one place. Discoverable 🙂

One thing I liked with new Google+ update is now it shows recommendations from friends in the stream. That will help get our posts shown by our friends, but yet they get buried though. Sometimes I feel Google+ posts staying more time on the stream than Facebook. But they all have peak time periods.

Ha ha… Pinterest always being loved by women and I’ve seen 68% Google+ users are men. I know a lot who just play games there 😉

If we consider YouTube, in that case no one can beat it, right? 😉 Wondering about LinkedIn too.

You have a wonderful day there! 🙂

Mayura recently posted…Resolve Blogger Compatibility Issues with Microsoft Internet ExplorerMy Profile

Hi Lisa!

Pinterest has come a long way! Reading this makes me want to jump back on. I had to shave down some social sites this year because I couldn’t keep up with them all. Between product creation and design, coaching, and keep up my blog, it was a business choice I had to make.

But now, after reading this post and finding out that I can use Pinography to schedule pins…you have my wheels turning in my head. It makes total sense to be on a platform that lasts longer than a few minutes or an hour or two.

Thanks Lisa, you have opened up my eyes once again!

Donna Merrill recently posted…Marketing Lesson From Get ResponseMy Profile

• raj

hey lisa nice post. i have heard a lot about pinterest and i have an account but i never used it as my site is not image related an pinterest works better for image related sites. but i did not know these facts. its really inspirational. i will be using pinterest from today. hope i get some success and i see you everywhere on blogosphere. how did you get so much time to be engaged on other blogs?
    raj recently posted…Line for PC Download Official | Line Para PC | Line for Windows7/8/XP/Vista/Mac ComputerMy Profile

• Jeremy Norton says:

I have just started using Pinterest and I was impressed by it. Though, I still find Twitter very useful and very direct to use.
    Jeremy Norton recently posted…Help with Setting up a BusinessMy Profile

• Pst Bless

I think you are correct, Pinterest pins really last longer than any other social share. Thanks for this eye opening post.

• Angela McCall

I love Pinterest. Better than Tumblr. At least Pinterest is pretty self- explanatory. What you see is what you get. However, it’s the LEAST social media I use. Sometimes I pin when I remember it. And many times I forget.

But I didn’t know that my pin last longer in my Pinterest, that’s AWESOME!!!! I should do this more often. Thank you so much for telling us this wonderful news. I hope you have a great week my friend.

Angela
    Angela McCall recently posted…How to Save Your Business in the Clouds?My Profile

• Manny says:

Oh no! Pinterest is becoming a threat to twitter! But it is essential to know though that each social networking site has a different function. And users have preferences. Thanks!
    Manny recently posted…MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 2013 Plus Coupon Code: 40% DiscountMy Profile

• Silviu

There is no doubt in my mind that Pinterest pins last longer. They last even longer than the time span you presented here. Let’s say that after 2 years of pinning you decided to close your account. Does this mean that your pins are gone forever? No. Some marks, some traces will remain and people will know that you repinned a pin even years after your account passed into oblivion. The copyright hunters will know that, too.
    Another good point for Pinterest: you can create a board dedicated to your blog. Whenever you write a new post you can upload a pin to pinterest with a link to that post. You will get a backlink from a social network that is among the 50 biggest sites in the world (according to Alexa) and a very stable one.
    Finally, you have more control with Pinterest than with any other social network. Agree.
    The only thing that sucks with Pinterest is the results you get in terms of followers and traffic. At least, for me it didn’t work. And I cannot say I don’t like Pinterest. I was a huge fan of Pinterest.
    Now I am more calm and realistic. You need to reach success outside Pinterest. Then you can go there and do wonderful things and get an army of followers as well.

Have a nice day
    Silviu recently posted…Bye bye Pinterest Account. It was Nice to Meet YouMy Profile

Hi Silviu, Interesting about that note after closing Pinterest. Our digital traces always remain, don’t they? Yes, it does give a great backlink. Yes, you must have some following on other networks too to make it work. I try to share any of the pins with Twitter or Facebook and it gives them more “zing”. I’ve also noticed more followers from Twitter from pinning. It works both ways. Pinterest at 48 on Alexa, wonder how far they will climb? Thanks for coming by and taking time to comment on this one Silviu on Pinterest.
      Lisa recently posted…Pinterest Pins Last Much Longer Than Tweets or Other PostsMy Profile

I’ve only recently been active on Pinterest and I love it so far. But after reading some of the comments by Sue and Bren, it looks like I have some more to learn. I have seen an increase in traffic through Pinterest and that has motivated me to pay a little more attention to my account 🙂

Those are some interesting numbers you shared with us Lisa and after going through the infographic I can see why more businesses are using it.

Thanks for sharing these stats with us. Can’t wait to see the life cycle of Google Plus.
    Corina Ramos recently posted…Monday Work from Home Job Lead Madness 07-15-13My Profile

Hi Corina, we always have more to learn, don’t we? I find it works more too if you share via the tweet and Facebook share button too. Others will come by to check them out. I haven’t heard from anyone yet on that, I will reach out again today on Google plus. Getting behind, need more hours in the day 🙂 Have a great Tuesday Corina and thanks for coming by and taking time to comment.

• Babanature says:

Hello Lisa,
    This is indeed a valuable post and a nice read as well.
    I have never for once have the luck of getting pinterest traffic. i have tried all ways but none has proven healthy, but i’d like you to recommend to me on how to effectively get traffic through pinterest or do a post on what’s work for you… I just want to know the ropes behind it 🙂
    Thanks and God bless
    Babanature recently posted…The Perfect Logo Design For Your Blog To Boost Your BusinessMy Profile

Thanks Babanature, well good images that people will like and quotes are big on Pinterest. SO is food and anything with infographics or directions. I’d recommend you pin or repin 5 things per day and comment on a few – you should see the results slowly begin to grow from there. Don’t forget to share your pins easily via the Tweet or Facedbook share button. (That helps quite a bit too!) I just checked yours out and you don’t really have much activity. You could create more boards too 🙂 Thanks for coming by and let me know how you make out with the progress.

I deleted my Pinterest account awhile back and recently reactivated it specifically for Pibbles & Me and sharing our posts from there, which btw, are totally all my posts. I’m not using it for my other blog nor is there a PinIt button on MGP. The whole “getting busted” thing kind of creeps me out.

Interesting stats though. Never thought about the longevity of a post on social networks.
    Bren recently posted…Travelling Made A Little EasierMy Profile

Hi Bren, pet stuff does very well on Pinterest. I had repinned some of yours and got so many repins! I know, about the whole busted thing – just be sure you pin from folks you know. I had been noticing more things getting repinnned from a long time away when I started to pin more. Also means to remove pins that may cause broken links. (Happens more for me with retail sites). Thanks for coming by Bren and have a terrific Tuesday and stay cool 🙂

I’m just not using Pinterest Lisa!

You know they always say chose a couple social platform you really like and are having success with and stick with them. I just don’t have time to go to yet one more site and mess with it.

I have an account but I’m hardly ever on there. I’m actually thinking of deleting my account because the whole mess with sharing photos just makes me nervous. I’ve mentioned that before and it still does. Barry did some research about that too but Pinterest couldn’t guarantee that something couldn’t happen to you if you shared something that someone else didn’t like you sharing so I think in that case, better safe then sorry.

The stats are interesting but I often times wonder how accurate those are too! I think it depends on the account but I don’t doubt that the images are shared a heck of a lot more then anything else. You’re probably spot on with that girl. People just love Pinterest and love looking at all the cool stuff.

Thanks for sharing, great info.

Adrienne recently posted…WordPress Plugins, Concerns and AdviceMy Profile

• Sue Neal

I know what you mean about the relative durability of posts and what a strong player Pinterest is in this regard, but I recently closed my account due to concerns and uncertainty about image copyright on the site, which I think is a minefield – it’s just one worry I can do without. For example, I discovered it’s not permissible to ‘pin’ even some images you’ve purchased – I have images I’ve bought from sites like bigstockphoto and istockphoto and they say you can only ‘pin’ the watermarked image from their site, which is no use at all.

I did used to get some traffic from Pinterest, but it was of the fairly bouncy variety, so I’m not sure I’m missing much – I was also aware I didn’t have enough time to commit to it, on top of all the other social media networks, so I’ve felt ok about letting it go for now. I may review my decision in future, but for the time being I’m afraid I’m a Pinterest-free zone 😉

Sue
    Sue Neal recently posted…Are Your Blog Posts Missing This Vital Ingredient?My Profile

I started going onto Pinterest weekly for a while and posting, liking and sharing pins.

I don’t think I was active enough on there though to gain anything from it.

I’m wondering whether retails sites are more suited to using Pinterest rather than a blog about blogging?
    Tim Bonner recently posted…Does Getting Blog Comments Matter?My Profile

Hi Pin, I can tell you from my own experience yes, retail site is generating more. You do have to be active there but I really only spend 5-10 minutes per day per site on Pinterest. Sometiems I can it via mobel, love their app! I do combo between re-shares, pinning and comments. I will be monitoring it more carefully for this blog but retail has much better referrals – I checked my analytics again before answering you 🙂 Thanks for the input and coming by Tim. Have a great week ahead.

• Kita says:

I love pinterest but I have a hard time with the new format of embedding the posts do you know of any tutorials on how to embed it? I am lost and have had to copy and paste into my post
    Kita recently posted…Bangles Beads and BowsMy Profile

• Ellen M. Gregg

Lisa, I’m constantly amazed by the recycling effect of Pinterest. Pins from months – even a year! – ago will see a resurgence because a new follower discovered it, repinned it, and it gets notice by her followers and their followers. It’s fascinating and fun. 🙂

• Enstine Muki

This post is on a subject that came in my mind some weeks back. I can vividly remember I was thinking how long does it take for a Facebook post or a tweet to be visible. While stirring at my TweetDeck screen, I was marveled by the speed at while tweets scroll down and get lost. Pinterest and Stumble Upon never came to my mind though, probably because I’m not so active on them.

Not active on Pinterest! am I missing something?
    Enstine Muki recently posted…5 Top Reasons Your Blog Doesn’t Make MoneyMy Profile

You are SO right here – the Pins do last much longer and are shared much more than any of the FB posts or even on Twitter or anywhere else.

I didn’t know how long the post lasted on FB or on Twitter, though I think if they are reshared, perhaps their life would be longer. Pinterest has become all the more better in the last week I think and now the pins are clearer and visible than before. It’s become my second source of traffic after FB now. Just the post I came with today has been pinned 113 times! Gosh! I too was surprised seeing that.

I’d also like to add that adding tags to your pins, just like we do on Twitter, G+, and FB, makes a lot of difference as they reach a wider audience. I too have no idea about G+, but I do know joining the G+ communities is doing wonders, more so they are supposed to be DoFollow links, if I’m not mistaken.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Have a nice week ahead 🙂
    Harleena Singh recently posted…65 Age Appropriate Chores For KidsMy Profile

Hi Harleena, yes, I noticed it more on our retail site but starting with Inspire now too. The more you use the more you will results. Just like with anything else right? 113 pins, that’s great Harleena! Yes Do follow links but not sure of life span. I can’t wait to see if there is an answer out there to it. Thanks for coming by and for your input and experience with pins with us – Enjoy your day there!