Let’s All Bing It While We Search Online and Get Rewarded

BING It Today

Last week many bloggers, SEO specialists and small online businesses were really upset with Google – myself included. Why don’t we all just Bing it and forget it!  Maybe Bing would account for more searches and help us all get more out of Bing vs. Google. Plus look how pretty their homepage is. And isn’t this one ironic with these Panda’s? Love it!

Bing it

Searching Online

How often do you use search in a day? 21% of our time online is spent searching. That is #2 behind time on social networks at 22% of the time.  3rd is reading content online at 20% of our time online. Google alone acounts for over 1 billion searches per day. Bing and Yahoo are right behind Google and Facebook for daily visits. (*Stats from Comscore, Nielson, TNS Digital Life and Pew)

The Bing Advantage

1. You can see what your friends like on Facebook  when you log in. You can see their referrals. Just log in via Facebook on Bing.
  2. You can also sign in via Microsoft.
  3. You can earn REWARDS via their Bing Awards.

Bing Rewards

Bing Awards are easy to do. Everytime you search you get reward points.  You earn 1 credit per 2 Bing searches and up to 15 credits a day. That is 30 searchers per day that you can earn rewards from. When you have enough rewards you visit their redemption center to claim your rewards. You can earn Starbucks cards, Amazon cards and more. How nice is that! Is Google rewarding you for searching? They also offer sweepstakes that you can enter to win prizes when you sign up.

What others were saying about Google’s recent changes:

Nancy Cawley Jean – a Communications and Media Relations Pro blogged about the Google Reader changes a few days ago.

Google, you have gone too far. You’ve become a cyberbully! Yes, that’s exactly it. You’ve become a big, bloated, egotistical bully…… You can read more on Nancy’s blog.

Ana Hoffman from the Traffic Generation Cafe did a slideshare on the death of the Google Reader (You can click on image below to read more from her SlideShare)

“Google is on a killing spree 70+ dead products and counting….”

death of Google reader

SEO Updates via Google

SEO Panda update

Hubspot did an eye opening post the other day on the SEO Panda updates and it wasn’t pretty. It confirmed my suspicions on an Google update as one of my sites was tanking just on Google for the past 5 days.  (I believe messy coding was the cause, more to come.) Some of the comments on Hubspot’s blog on the topic included:

It is a shame when a regular site created for anyone that is interested in that content gets hit. A regular site being the everyday business person not knowing much about algorithm’s and such builds a site to help his business along creating no foul play or black hat tactics…..

My website has 2,200+ pages of original content written by experts, minimal ads (in a narrow right column), NO duplicate pages, NO purchased links, NO empty pages. But, still, Panda took my traffic from 22,000 visitors on a good day to 8,000 on a good day. Killing my revenue and losing me my expert contributors…..  Read more on their blog on this SEO topic.

Will you be switching to Bing for your searches and earn their rewards?

Have you noticed a change in your traffic from Google in the past week or two?

Check out my guest post today too over at Adrienne’s Place.

98 Responses to Let’s All Bing It While We Search Online and Get Rewarded

• Angela McCall

Lisa, I’m so sorry that I haven’t been here quite often. Enough to learn more from you. You are GREAT in spilling this out for us. Thank you very much. I am now converted to use “Bing Webmaster Tools” from now on.

I use Google Keyword Tools before when I search for keywords for my headline and that’s about it. But never thought about BING. Dang. Where are we? Goodbye Google….

Have a great night my friend.

Angela
    Angela McCall recently posted…The Left Brain vs. The Right BrainMy Profile

• Ana Hoffman says:

You had me at “rewards”, Lisa.

Does Bing really do that? Good for them! Of course, they just might run themselves out of business if they continue with it, but keep’em coming! 🙂

And thanks so much for embedding my Slideshare.

I’m really starting to detest Google. I like them from a consumer standpoint in that I really like their integration with Gmail and Android, and such. But as somebody trying to build an online identity, I’m tired of them changing the rules on a whim. I get that they’re trying to penalize those who are not playing nice, but too many of the good guys are getting whacked in the process.

This level of collateral damage would be totally unacceptable in just about any other industry, but it’s seemingly acceptable in Google’s eyes. I don’t get it.

Thanks for sharing! I think Bing is on the way up and will continue to grow.

I hope you have an outstanding week!

~Barry
    Barry Overstreet recently posted…What Is Ann Sieg’s Daily Marketing CoachMy Profile

Hi Barry, yes I do love my Android and I understand their “quality content” but the rules and regulations with products and other webmaster functions make it so hard for small businesses to compete with other large businesses that have their own large SEO departments, etc. Thanks for taking the time to comment and I hope your week is a great one Barry.
      Lisa recently posted…Link Shy After The Latest Google Panda WorkingsMy Profile

• HI Lisa,

I am coming to your site via Mayura4ever. 🙂

Absolutely. The secret to become success is…Put more effort. I believe Bing on the right track top compete with Google as what they put during initial time. Ofcourse we cannot blame both service since all business driven and both have the thrust to capture the market.

From my view, anything comes from Microsoft always business centric when compare Google little community centric. Hope that might not match for all. But still. I see Microsoft products from 95 and till .net driven cloud approach…and they pitch everything if that really gives better returns. Business! 🙂

Indeed, Google does the same but might in different style 🙂 I believe HTML5 2014 version should resolve and bring more solutions for your FeedBurner project. Wow..9 sites..Sounds really good and I can feel the effort how you need to add 🙂

Thanks for sharing the post Lisa.
    Manickam Vijayabanu recently posted…YouTube Introduces A New Redesign – One ChannelMy Profile

• Sue Neal

Sure do, Lisa – I took the desktop off for a while because I had a problem with my pc freezing and I was just getting rid of anything and everything that might have been causing it, but it’s behaving itself now so I’m very happy to have my Bing pics back – they’re wonderful.
    Sue Neal recently posted…Google Reader Rest In Peace: Long Live Feedly!My Profile

• Sue Neal

I’ve occasionally used Bing for searching but Google’s such a habit – but the incentives you’ve told us about here will encourage me to use Bing more frequently.

I entirely share your frustrations with Google – it’s basically like having one big, unaccountable tyrant in charge of the whole show, with summary executions for sites that unwittingly break the ‘law’.

Sue

• Aayna says:

This is great information. I never tried Bing, I am a loyal user of Google. But reading this post, I realized its not bad to give Bing a whirl. Thanks for sharing this post, it was like an eye opener for me.

• Adam

Lisa, I think you’re right – we all need to BING it.

Despite the huge number of people that wouldn’t stop using Google, us bloggers could take a pretty big chunk out of their earnings.

They really do need to be careful .. they bought up services and then made us all reliant on them, got our details and data (probably some off my wi-fi knowing them too) and now they’re kicking all the services that made them great to the curb.

Come on Bing!!!
    Adam recently posted…8 Best WordPress Backup Plugins for Complete Peace of MindMy Profile

• Sapna

HI Lisa,

My apologies for being late on your post, I almost missed this one.

Coming to your post , Google has monopolized the search. They have become a part and parcel of our search queries. As a Microsoft software developer I had to search many things and google for me is the best option or I can say I’ve not tried Bing too often for my searches. I think I can explore Bing.

Thanks for this great share.

Sapna
    Sapna recently posted…My Blogging Report Card of my first 5 months in blogosphereMy Profile

• Astro Gremlin says:

It took awhile, but my site started getting hits from Bing and Yahoo. Google searches are appended by a page or so of results of the ads, products and sites the company is promoting, which gets old.

When a company sells ads AND runs a search engine, the temptation is kind of like World Book Encyclopedia selling space to sponsors of certain beetle species — the encyclopedia article on “beetles” is going to have just a little more material on stag beetles and june bugs. That makes for a crummy encyclopedia.
    Astro Gremlin recently posted…Walt Disney BiographyMy Profile

• Joy Healey

Yes, you’re right. Let’s try Bing. I’ve signed up for the account to collect my reward points, and see how I go.

I had a perfectly innocent site that was on the first page of Google for a couple of years. I didn’t do anything naughty (well, not knowingly) and it plummeted to “goodness knows where” last year, and sales with it.

I just looked up those main keywords on Bing and I’m there on page one. So I’m all in favor of your Bing campaign!

Joy
    Joy Healey recently posted…What is in a Hair Mineral Analysis ReportMy Profile

Isn’t it amazing Joy? And frustrating. I’m starting to think Google rewards those with big AdWords dollars. Sad. Have a great day and thanks for commenting on this one.

• Sofiya says:

I am also having the same problem as Nikos except when I accidentaly hit submit by pressing the enter button to quickinly on confirmation page for my reward, a utofill put in one of my room mates information, thus i got a email saying my account was closed, and yes my room mate uses Bing Rewards too
    Sofiya recently posted…How to practice sustainable fishingMy Profile

• Babanature says:

Hello Lisa,
    i have not used bing before but the time i tried using it they were having problem with their login page. As at then, i was trying to use their analytic page for my analysis.
    Now that you have mentioned the reword part i better go participate. But aside their login issues, they have great and beautiful interface. thanks
    Babanature recently posted…How To Create A Self Hosted CDN For W3 TOTAL CACHEMy Profile

• Hiten says:

This was a very interesting post as Bing is something I’ve haven’t paid much attention to, yet. This is probably because Google has been the major search engine.

I really liked the idea of Bing Rewards. Thanks for sharing.

• Wow, Lisa I meant to get hear earlier, but…. time time time issues.

I love, love, love this post and you definitely made me want to use Bing. Wow, Amazon discount? I certainly don’t care for Strarbucks but if I win that I’ll pass it on to you 😉

I think that the term “bully” is starting to fit Google more an more. You know even the biggest of the biggest can fall if they don’t watch their acts. I think they’d better watch it! Karma’s for everyone!

Thanks so much for this great info!
    Sylviane Nuccio recently posted…Is Google Not Liking Blog Comments?My Profile

Very informative blog post about Google’s changes. They do need a jolt to realize they do not have a total monopoly.
    Google and now Facebook suffer from the same too big for their britches syndrome.
    It’s really frustrating to know we…the little guys have no voice.
    Maybe it is the right time to go where you’re welcome.
    Thanks,
    Tonya
    Tonya Stephens recently posted…Warning! Blogging Can Expand Your Mind!My Profile

• Julie says:

Super smart of Bing to come up with a program like that. I need to remember to use them when I search.

I am sad about Google Reader…I know things change on the Internet but that one makes me sad.

• Liz M3O says:

I guess Bing is a really big competitor these days. Though I have to admit that I find it more useful to use Google because of the organized results. When I used Bing, I get different search result. I wish it is more reliable. By then, maybe I can forget everything about Google!

• Nothing to say about Google Inc.
    But Bing rewards is a wonderful scope to do something online. Bing the Microsoft search engine provide this service to use user search quarries and cookies to modify their products. So, here is no privacy.

So, be careful with your search when you sign in for Bing rewards.
    Majharul Hossain recently posted…How to monetize your blog perfectly.My Profile

Shall I state your favorite quote now? ~ Never put all your eggs in one basket 😉

I’ve experienced that Bing offers better results with more relevancy. I mean, more relevant results on first pages. The rewarding system is very cool news for everyone. Microsoft trying to embrace the searchers.

I don’t blame Google or Microsoft. They are businesses, not our friend or enemy. We have seen how Google cut down favorite products and services, and how Microsoft trying to monopolize the PC market. It’s people who resist to change and claim it as loyalty. Actually it’s not loyalty but being obsessed with it or relying too much.

Personally, I believe the end of Google Reader is start of something new with official release of HTML5 in 2014. I’m not sure. But could be a long shot of Google as RSS won’t be with us anymore in future Lisa 🙂 As I know, Google plans for big money. Will see what to come 🙂

Mayura recently posted…3 Reasons to Use SlideShare to Promote Your BlogMy Profile

Great points Mayura. They are a business trying to make even more money. I will miss FeedBurner and must plan ahead for that one. Geez, I use it for 9 blogs. Major project, huh? Tell me more on HTLM in 2014 or via a post 🙂 thanks for coming by, know you are super busy these days.

• Marc Zazeela

Lisa,

Thanks for your ideas. I really dislike when someone, or some entity becomes so big that they think they can control your activities AND your thoughts.

Is this the time for a Google revolution? Perhaps they need to be taught a lesson. Businesses cannot work in a vacuum and expect to be successful in the long term.

High time I gave Bing a try.

Cheers
    Marc

• Annie André

This post really made me angry at google. I know a lot of people, regular everyday people who don’t do any black hat tricks who got hit by all the recent changes. I some how was spared somehow. I have no idea where or how. it makes the whole process of optimizing my site impossible. I need to try to use Bing more often but honestly, i get very little traffic from Bing and i’m not seeing a lot of people switch over despite their strong campaign “bing it on”. Scary to think how much power google has..
    Annie André recently posted…How To Pack Light Without Sacrificing Style Or Comfort: A Guide For Women InfographicMy Profile

Hi Annie, I know. Still scratching my head over it. Very frustrating. I do get visits and sales via Bing but about 30% of what I was from Google. I feel bad for businesses who did not use black hat tactics and lost traffic and money. Kinda sad.

I didn’t know about Bing’s reward system either. That sounds really cool. I’ve never really used Bing but I may now give it a go!

I can see how Google don’t want to maintain too many free things, but there are so many other programs that are integrated with Google Reader and rely on it.

The RSS reader I use, for example, is a standalone PC program and it uses Google Reader. I’m not sure if you can use it without Google Reader. I’ll have to find out.
    Tim Bonner recently posted…DoFollow Or NoFollow? That Is The QuestionMy Profile

Hi Tim, thanks for coming by. That will be tough on people when they get rid of feedburner. Looks like they want more revenues. Like the stock isn’t high enough 🙂
      I know its a business but if enough get upset and don’t spend a dime or time on their site it could make a difference.

• Des says:

I was never aware about this Bing Rewards. I’d better search more about this later today.
    Honestly, I am not an Bing user so I am quite blind about this great reward.
    Anyway thanks about that. I am also upset about the upcoming shutdown of Google Reader, I am looking for alternatives now.

Des

• Disha

I heared that Bing is also nice & most popular search engine but I don’t use Bing. I just love to Google search engine. I read this short article for Bing. I really like Bing Advantage.

• Dita says:

I guess out of the habit I always use Google to search when I do research. After reading your article and some of the comments here I am going to explore Bing as well.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Cheers,

Dita

• Chasing Joy

i did not know about the reward program on Bing. I can always count on your blog to learn something. I may not understand all of the technical stuff but I am understanding more and more from reading your posts.
    Chasing Joy recently posted…What Does Your Ring Back Tone Say About You?My Profile

• Jens P. Berget

I must admit that I haven’t hardly used Bing at all. I tested it a while ago, when Carolyn wrote a post about one of their marketing campaigns, and I was impressed by the search engine and how beautiful it looked. But, I guess I am just too used to searching Google, and it has become a habit. Now, I’ll most likely be testing Bing again, because of your post, and it’s going to be interesting to see if I’ll stick with it this time 🙂
    Jens P. Berget recently posted…The War of Art – Keep FightingMy Profile

• Theodore Nwangene

I really agree with that guy that said that Google is becoming a Cyber Bully. I normally use Bing to perform some of my searches some times but I’m never aware of their rewards.

Google is really getting out of hand these days and the earlier we starting looking out for an alternative, the better for us. And yes, i also noticed a drop on my traffic last week but never suspected anything until now.

Thanks for sharing Lisa and do have a pleasant week.
    Theodore Nwangene recently posted…Danger! Your Backup Folder Might Be Visible To The PublicMy Profile

• Martin says:

I switched to mainly using Bing over a year ago now. I say mainly because it’s good enough the large majority of the time, but once in a while I’ll use Google, e.g. for image search (Bing lacks for this still). But otherwise Bing quietly got pretty darn good.

I think Bing Reward only applies to the US though?

• Kita says:

There have been times when google did not work and I had to search for things. I have had to go to bing. I think if Bing can get a little more Bang and maybe offer something similar to google reader they might give google a run for their money.
    Kita recently posted…Beef Stir FryMy Profile

• Atish Ranjan says:

I love bing when I need to search images and yes the inerface of bing is quite good which keeps on changing the images. As a webmaster I would hate Google for sometime but as a normal user I still like Google because of its awesome Serach quality. 🙂
    Atish Ranjan recently posted…Top 10 Free Video Chatting SitesMy Profile

I forgot I had a Bing account. I took a quick peek and I have points there 🙂 …I can get a $5 Amazon gift card YAY! That’s certainly an incentive to be more active on Bing…those rewards add up quick.

I feel like I”ll never catch up with all things Google, there’s always a change coming out. I don’t use Google reader myself but I have seen a hit on my traffic. Google is making lots of people unhappy and they’re rocking the boat with their loyal followers/users.

I’m curious to see what happens next…Have a great week Lisa 🙂
    Corina Ramos recently posted…The Three Best Types Of Work from Home JobsMy Profile

• Mary Stephenson

Wow rewards for using Bing…well I guess that would be an incentive to check them out more seriously. Just so in the habit of using Google since they do control so much of what goes on. With gmail, Google+ and YouTube, it is pretty hard to totally cut them lose.

But I shall go take a look at Bing and see how I feel about it. I could just add another bookmark to my list and use them for awhile.

Thank you for the information.

Mary

• Carolyn

Hi Lisa, This is great news! I’m all for competition and I know Microsoft is trying hard to give Google a run for its money. Old habits die hard but rewards are a great way to help people change their behavior.

Thanks for letting us know about this, Lisa!
    Carolyn recently posted…Grab Yourself a Gravatar!My Profile

• Rashmi Sinha

Just learned something new!!!

Great share Lisa. I am so addicted to Google that I almost thought internet means Google, that’s it 😀
    I am happy I landed here. Bing is going to be my adventure toy from today 😆

Thanks for the share.
    Rashmi Sinha recently posted…Review on Avira: Freeware Anti-Virus specifically made for your PC!My Profile

😳 OOPS! After reading through this post I realized how conditioned I am to use Google for everything. Is it loyalty? No I seared my inner self and found out it was conditioning.

What an eye opener this is. I am going to start using Bing! Hey, I cannot pass a good deal and didn’t know they gave rewards.

Thanks so much for explaining this and also thank you for the big wake up call I had within myself. Did Google brainwash me? he he he

Donna
    Donna Merrill recently posted…Plan Your DayMy Profile

Google pulling their Google Reader has been a real bite in my bum and I’m not happy about it. 👿 I’ve tried several since the announcement and none, imo, are to my liking. I especially had issues this a.m. trying to scroll through new blog posts via what? No reader! Hmpf! So if there alternative to searches? I’m game! I’ve already moved 2 of my gmail accounts to hotmail, so what’s another search enginer change? I’ll definitely give BING a check. I wonder if that means G+ will be going away too?
    Bren recently posted…So, You Wanna Host Your First Giveaway?My Profile

Hi Bren, I’v heard many going to Feedly. I like the app for it and may go that route. I still get a lot of blogs via email and Triberr. Do you like hotmail? I’ve never used that one. I’m not ready to give up on G+ yet but if they keep killing me with rank I’ll re-think it 🙂
      Lisa recently posted…Let’s All Bing It While We Search Online and Get RewardedMy Profile

Hotmail is getting ready to upgrade to Outlook.com. More features! I’m not too fond of feedly yet. I’m hoping someone will taking over Google Reader so I won’t have to force myself to using email for blog subscriptions. 🙁 Yes, G+ is soooo slow for me. I get so much more out of facebook, twitter, and triberr but I’m definitely going to check out Bing and see what it has to offer me. :mrgreen:

I’m not crazy about outlook. Had it for years at work. I have not checked feedly out but will. Good luck on the new email.

I don’t like the Outlook app either but on the web, it’s kinda cool looking. I use Windows Live Mail on my pc to filter my mail. Good luck with Feedly. Maybe it’s my phone, which gets upgraded this summer, but I don’t like the app. Right now I can’t read my blog feeds on my phone which is major bummer 🙁

So how are you getting to read blogs? I still rely on email and Tribber.

Believe it or not, the answer was sitting under my big nose the whole time! 🙄 Bloglovin’ imported from my Google Reader, the android app is fabulous, AND there’s a Chrome extension! I’m back in service! Woohoo!! :mrgreen:

• First, I have to claim being obtuse today, because while I linked to your guest post from your email this morning, I neglected to get that the gorgeous Bing screenshot was a link to your own blog. D’oh! Obtuse, I tell you. 😉

Anyway, while I don’t pay a whole lot of attention to Google’s analytics (I know, I know), I have been hearing a whole lot of rumbling in regards to the the fast-approaching demise of Google Reader. Happily, I don’t use it. But for those who do… Ouch!

As for Bing, I have yet to use it, but I’m intrigued now, thanks to your post. I’ll be taking a look either today or tomorrow. 🙂

• Khaja Moin

I don`t like Google because of it`s regular changes, bans on affiliate links, sponsored links, redesigned image search and lot more.
    I`d love to try DuckDuckgo.com, not always but I search on Duckduckgo.com
    Anyway I don`t find much difference between Google and Bing (atleast for those what I search) , so I think bing works for me.

~@Khajamoin1
    Khaja Moin recently posted…5 Tips to Avoid Problems While Link BuildingMy Profile

Google is a cyberbully! I was unhappy when they discontinued FriendConnect for WordPress sites. Every time I become comfortable with one of their products, they pull the plug on it. There is no security with Google. They can kill a beloved product on a whim. Bing is definitely worth trying. I have many more Bing back links than Google.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Lauren recently posted…Paradise LostMy Profile

• Josh says:

I suppose I look at this differently, but since it is a free service I tend not to get too upset. I rarely if ever look at the ads they run, let alone buy so I am primarily a consumer of the service.

We could make a case that I help build their numbers and provide a foundation for them to sell ads and what not, but…

I figure if there is another service out there I like better and/or find more useful I will just switch.

Josh, do you have people come to your site via Google? If so has your traffic changed? Even as a user I like that Bing offers rewards. Thanks for coming by today.

• Valerie says:

WOW! Had no idea…Google is my go to search engine out of habit. After reading your Blog I will give BING a try. Who wouldn’t want to receive rewards? As always, Lisa, great information. Thank you!

I actually did a post some time last year comparing Bing to Google and for the things I was searching for Bing won hands down. I’ve found myself using them more and more over time because Google just makes me mad thinking they have all the control.

My visitors have dropped too according to Google Analytics and I haven’t done anything wrong. That’s what I hate the most about Google. Here are these innocent people doing what’s asked of them yet we get punished. And for what? Now they are taking away Google Reader and I’m really ticked about that. I’m going to find another RSS feed too since I’m going to try and weed myself off of a lot of Google’s so called tools. They don’t deserve my attention any longer.

Thanks for the post and I’m so thrilled to have you as a guest today over on my blog. So you guys stop by and check out Lisa’s post. More awesome content.

Adrienne recently posted…You Can Write But Can You BlogMy Profile

Hi Adrienne, I know. I’ve been frrustated with one of our retail sites, killing me! They change so often and make it extremely hard for small businesses to keep up, sad!
      Maybe Bing will find a way to help small businesses and gain market share. I can’t wait to start earning rewards.
      Thanks for your input on this one Adrienne.

• Nancy Jean says:

Great post, as always, Lisa! And thanks ofr including me. It IS scary to think that they can, on a whim, just change the way everyone does things. A bit too much power? Only time will tell. Sigh.

Thanks Nancy, your post inspired me. I know, they keep making changes but do they ask their users what they would like or depend on? Thanks for your comment Nancy and enjoy your Monday before we get more snow in RI.

Informative post Lisa!

Nice to know about the reward and referral system of Bing – I never knew that. Last I read about Bing was at Carolyn’s post where she had shown the comparison of Google and Bing, other than that I guess most of us as a habit are just onto Google to google up and search for things.

I did try out Bing, but just off and on, not as a regular search engine. I would surely be checking out all that you mentioned, which sounds rather interesting. I guess you can collect a lot of points this way, as my work does involve a lot of research being in the writing niche.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Have a great week ahead 🙂
    Harleena Singh recently posted…How to Create Life Options for YourselfMy Profile

Hi Harleena and I love their images too. I had gotten away from using them. And to get rewards with it, what’s better than that? Thanks for your input Harleena and let me know what you thing after signing into Bing.