SEO vs social media – which is your favorite method to use for blogging?
Have you ever thought about where you should spend your time getting traffic to your website? I joked a few years ago with Robert Caruso from Fandola on Twitter as some would say “Social is the New SEO”, but is it really?
Have you thought about the differences between SEO vs social media to drive traffic to your blog or website?
In the beginning (back around 2010) I focused on SEO only for the retail website I used to manage. Then I got started with tweets and RT’s and social media became the focus as sales were coming from both. Once the SEO was done, it was done, right?
Well, Google began to work at a much faster pace with changes as time went on. So then the focus shifts to SEO to clean it up to Google’s liking. Then, I wondered, “should the focus go back to SEO vs social media?”
Knowing when to change lanes is key!Knowing when to change lanes is key! #websitetraffic Click To Tweet
SEO = Search Everything Online
When one searches online for something they are ready to purchase or read about something. If they find what they are looking for you are golden, right?
That’s what you want when you build a website or blog. Have people search and find your stuff. That’s the perfect scenario.
The SEO Benefit – SEO vs Social Media
SEO lasts much longer online. Remember the time frames of a tweet or a Facebook post? (24 minutes for a Twitter post and 5 hours for a Facebook post.)
Well, a great post or website will last much longer than those social posts any day hands down. Your website will last as long as you own the domain name and continue to host the website.
Even Google likes to see your domain name registered for 10 years vs just one or two years. They want to be sure you will be a staple online, not just a fly-by-the-night type of website.
When Google recommends you, you will be found!
9 Reasons Why is SEO So Hard!
- It takes a lot of time and patience.
- SEO takes testing, and re-testing, over and over.
- It must be consistent – you have to continue to build quality content and links. You cannot do it once and forget about it. If you do, Google will forget about you too!
- You must read up on the latest SEO techniques and changes via Google and the other search engines. What worked last year may not work this year. Check out bloggers’ passion posts about where to learn more about the ever-changing SEO landscape today.
- Then, you need to analyze stats often and re-adjust SEO techniques.
- Once you learn, you must re-learn it and re-do.
- It’s like housework, it is NEVER done.
- SEO can be a real downer when your stats sink and they can sink fast too!
- Finally, SEO can be expensive! If you do PPC ads you will quickly run through hundreds of dollars.
Why is SEO Great for Your Blog or Website?
- It keeps you more focused. SEO gets results over the long haul. It will not happen quickly and that is why many people get so discouraged. Search engine optimization takes a lot of time and patience. SEO should be called “TPO – Time Patience Optimization.”
- SEO creates an audience – by showing up on the first pages of Google or other search engines when people are searching, you are creating an audience. You don’t have to build an audience as you do with social media.
- You can generate more local traffic for a small business with local SEO tactics.
Why Do People Love Social vs SEO?
- Social media is easier to do once you get the hang of it.
- Next, social media is more fun – who doesn’t like to hang out with their friends and peers?
- It is quicker than SEO, you see immediate results if you get RT’s, shares, etc. via social network sites.
- Social media can be an ego boost for those with egos. Psychology Today wrote about this a few years back.
What Is Hard About Social Media?
- You must build an audience – you won’t get shares if you don’t have an audience. Building an audience organically takes a lot of time and effort. You can purchase ads to build one and that will cost you money over the long run.
- Then, you must be available at all times to respond to people on social media. Who wants to wait today for an answer?
- Today there are more social websites to be on than back in 2013 when I first wrote this post. That was 6 years ago! Back in 2013, it was mostly Twitter and Facebook.
- Now we have Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Snapchat as well as Pinterest, and the new TikTok to name a few of the popular ones! Each one has its own algorithm and audience.
- You must create content for each of the social networks. Each has its own different audience and each has different size requirements for images. It’s a graphic designer’s dream!
SEO vs. Social to Drive Traffic Today
We saw it once with Facebook when they decided which likes on pages were fake and took them away. Then they made the algorithm for Facebook pages go down to 2-3% of your entire audience. Today we have to use their Creator Studio just to post to our pages!
Others have been put in Twitter Jail and lost their Twitter accounts. That’s why I believe we can never put our eggs, social or SEO, in any one basket.
The debate will rage on- SEO vs social media. The social media specialists will say social is the new SEO, SEO specialists will say SEO is the main driver of traffic.
I believe one must have SEO in place before they do social to gain traffic to their blog or website.
A perfect combo of the two methods would be the ideal situation for your blog or website. I’d love to hear your thoughts on SEO vs social media.
How to Gain More Traffic via Seo vs Social
- Research keywords – use tools to research your keywords for your updated or new content.
- Writing guest blog posts on other well-read blogs.
- Update old blog posts with more content and updated information.
- Research what the competition is doing who rank well.
- Use graphics with alt image text.
- Insert some videos in your blog posts.
- Write some lengthy informative blog posts that answer questions for your readers.
Which method do you prefer for driving traffic to your blog or website, SEO vs. social media? Please let me know in the comments below.
- Best Paraphrasing Tools Free for 2023 To Save You Money - January 31, 2023
- Instagram Saves: How To Leverage IG Saves For Engagement - January 27, 2023
- All You Need To Know About How To Save Live Photos As Video - January 26, 2023