How Twitter Has Improved and Made Itself Simple

Twitter Has Improved and is Now More Simple!

Twitter Has Improved
Twitter is now a little easier to use with their latest update of their Twitter feed. Twitter is making conversations on Twitter much easier now to follow and participate in. (Twitter revealed this yesterday on their blog). Many newbies on Twitter complain they just don’t get it or understand how to use this micro-blogging / social networking site. They don’t know how to see replies to their tweets with the messy format of replies and conversations on Twitter. You will be able to click view other replies as well in conversations.

Twitter realizes it must make it easier  for the “average joe’s” to use Twitter. The “average joe’s” found Facebook easy to use but not Twitter. There are a billion registered users but only 302 million active users on Twitter. (Via Expanded Ramblings.)

Twitter is about to change that! This new feature on Twitter will show a line between each tweet that is part of a conversation. It is NOT yet available on mobile but it soon will be.

Twitter Conversations

See the red line above? (The color may vary depending how you set your Twitter design). That’s how conversations will start to look in your Twitter feed. A little easier to follow, right? The view other will appear on the bottom right hand side of a tweet conversation. That is where you can view others replies to the tweet as well.

Other Ways Twitter Has Improved Lately

Re-Tweets – This is easy to do on your desktop now. I was able to with my Droid for some time (via quote) but now it’s a great option on your desktop, tablet or smartphone. It’s a personal way to add your comments to a re-tweet and make it a much more effective re-tweet! You can also go beyond the Twitter standard 140 character count. See the sample below from Mitch Mitchell who does many a retweet with a great comment.

Extra Characters to Tweet

You can go over the 140 character count on Twitter now via:

• Retweets. This feature now does not count towards your Twitter character count. Nice! This is another great reason Twitter has improved.
  • Tagging People. When you tag people the tags do not count as characters thus lengthening the tweet without using the 140 count.
  • Apps. There are many apps that can help you make your tweets fit with over 140 characters like Tall Tweets. It makes your tweets either in an image or in a sequence of tweets.
  • Twitter Cards. Twitter cards allows you to have a description with the image. Learn more on Twitter cards here if you haven’t used them. See below for my sample Twitter card via a tweet.

Do you like how Twitter has improved? What do you like best about the latest Twitter updates?

Twitter pic from http://www.iconspedia.com/

41 Responses to How Twitter Has Improved and Made Itself Simple

• Hi Lisa, I had noticed this change and it does make Twitter easier to read and conversations easier to follow. My favorite recent update is the Quote Tweet update that gives you more characters and makes it clear when you’re replying to someone.

I hope Twitter keeps getting better so more people start using it.
    Carolyn Nicander Mohr recently posted…The 8 Surprising Ways I’m Using My Apple WatchMy Profile

• Siddaiah says:

Twitter is improving its functionalities and these comment threads, Twitter cards are really helping publishers to reach more audiences, thank you for sharing these unknown information to me, because I am using Twitter only on mobile, from today onward I will try to open and use it on Desktop as well.
    Siddaiah recently posted…List Of Freelancing Sites In India For Freelance Writing JobsMy Profile

• Nataly Auger

Great info! I hadn’t noticed that we could write over 140 characters in retweet. I’ll check it out later! I also like the new line between each tweet of a same conversation. I think this will be much more visual!

I love Twitter. It is one of my favorite social media, with Facebook.

Thanks for sharing these updates with us! Hope you’re having a great week! 😛
    Nataly Auger recently posted…Comment on Let Zakia’s Moroccan Ghassoul Clay Pamper You #Review #Giveaway by Nataly AugerMy Profile

• Anja Skrba

Oh I adore the new Twitter app! I don’t know if you noticed Lisa but they upgraded it and now you can handle multiple accounts at once! I hated before how I had to login and logout every minute just to check my private and my business Twitter! They’ve definitely improved it in every possible way.

Kind regards
    Anja

• Smachizo says:

I really likes those new improvments from twitter.
    It’s now easy to RT a tweet and to embed on a website.

• Hey Lisa,

When I first saw twitter I was quite confused and didn’t understand the buzz behind it. That was until I put the twitter up on my android and for some reason it made a lot more sense to me versus on my laptop. The read line will definitely make even more sense to users who are confused by it. I reminds me of Triberr’s set up. I also found out in July twitter is going to break the 140 character limit even more which I believe will I believe a lot of people will be happy about. I know I will although it has help me write better copy as far as headlines 😉

Thanks for sharing Lisa! I hope you’re enjoying your weekend!

I found your post on kingged.com under the category of Social Media
    Sherman Smith recently posted…How To Make Blogging Less Time ConsumingMy Profile

Hi Sherman, yes, I think that does make a difference! In most cases it is easier on the Droid than desktop. The only thing on my Droid I don’t see conversations, I have to go to desktop for those. I hope Twitter updates that in the near future. It is amazing how many different ways we can use Twitter too between devices and apps. Weather was beautiful here this weekend, I hope yours was good too. Have a great new week Sherman. Thanks for coming by!
      Lisa recently posted…How Twitter Has Improved and Made Itself SimpleMy Profile

• Shobha Ponnappa says:

Yes, Facebook is surely a lot easier to use and much better in interface in general.

However, good to see twitter improve. Another thing I recently noticed that they have changed the hashtag page. It now has more features and is much more organized too.

Good to see Re-tweets don’t count towards the characters anymore. I remember people used to leave some characters for the re-tweets so that people can add their opinion about the tweet. Good to know that the hashtag don’t count towards the characters too, that is another great update. Hopefully the images will stop counting to the characters as well in the future.

I hope they continue to improve the conversation, even with the changes it still don’t look that good as an interface.

Hi Shobha, welcome to Inspire to Thrive. It’s funny because I find Twitter easier to use but I think it’s because I spend more time there. Hashtag page? What do you mean by that? Yes, I’m happy about that with the re-tweets.
      Thank you for coming by and sharing your input on Twitter with us here. Have a great day!
      Lisa recently posted…How Twitter Has Improved and Made Itself SimpleMy Profile

• These are some great improvements in my opinion. I really like the fact that you will be able to replies to your tweets a lot easier and that you can go over the twitter character count in some instances. I use twitter on a daily basis, so I may not be the “average joe” when it comes to twitter, but I know these improvements will still be beneficial. Twitter is a popular social media platform and the more improvements they continue to make, the more popular it will become.
    Lawrence Berry recently posted…Key Steps To Reaching Out, Responding To, And Following Up With Job RecruitersMy Profile

Hi Lawrence, welcome to Inspire to Thrive. Glad to hear you use Twitter a lot. I think you are right the more improvements they make the more popular it will become. It is just getting those not so “average Joe’s” to tweet daily 🙂 Thanks for coming by and adding your input on this one. Have a great day Lawrence!
      Lisa recently posted…How Twitter Has Improved and Made Itself SimpleMy Profile

I love Twitter. It’s my favorite social site. I noticed the quote via retweet just the other day. I mainly tweet from Hootsuite so it was a sweet surprise to see that. I’m going to sign on and see how the conversation bar looks like and play with the colors. 🙂

Thanks for always keeping us updated with the latest in social media! You rock lady!

Hope you’re having a great week!

Cori
    Corina Ramos recently posted…Play #DoubleDownCasino and Escape from the Daily GrindMy Profile

• metz

Hello Lisa,

I’m actively using Twitter and yes, I’ve noticed the improvement. I am of the same opinion it is simple to use not like before, easier to follow people, Retweeting also changed and I love it. It is almost the same as re-sharing a post on Facebook.

The changing of theme colors is awesome too. This is just right for people who wants to make their account more attractive to.

The only problem I have is that I can’t share videos or clip-arts like others. I tried it on PC and on my phone but seem it won’t allow me to add one.

Thanks for sharing Lisa! Know I know that we can go beyond 140 characters now even we’ll tag people. Haven’t noticed that one. 🙂
    metz recently posted…Why You’re Losing Social Media Followers?My Profile

Hi Metz, glad to hear you did notice the changes and that it is easier for you. I like the color change too. Strange on the video, do you use Vine or the other Periscope? Those work well with video on Twitter. I’ll have to double check on that one 🙂
      You are welcome and thanks for coming by Metz, have a great new week!
      Lisa recently posted…How Twitter Has Improved and Made Itself SimpleMy Profile

• Rachel Kruse says:

Twitter Inc. belongs to the social media network giants along with the company is performing almost everything to make sure that people start to sign up more on it instead of looking for Facebook. Cool features !! keep it up !

• Nirmala

You’ve well explained the fresh Twitter features, Lisa. I’m rare Twitter user and thus I didn’t look at these changes specifically the red line. Good to know the increase in tweeting count through RT.

Twitter is becoming smart by introducing some innovative features and thanks for consolidating for us.

I’ve landed here from Kingged.com and left my comment over there too 😛
    Nirmala recently posted…Why Are You Losing Social Media Followers?My Profile

• Sunday

Its good to know that we can extend beyond the 140 characters using the retweet features of Twitter. Indeed Twitter has improved and made itself simple to use.

Many marketers are sure of taking advantage of these simple features to improve their social marketing.

Twitter has come to stay and its changing the face of social marketing pretty fast!

I left the above comment in kingged.com as well.

• Mitch Mitchell

Good stuff! I wanted to first thank you for using my example above; publicity is always nice. 😀 Second, I use TweetDeck, which is owned by Twitter, and when they made the change to the website they did the same thing there. Course, they’ve always had the “conversation” link you could click but this might work better. I do like the ability to add something to a RT from time to time. What I miss though is the ability to alter the previous tweet, because sometimes you’d like to remove a few people you don’t know from the conversation.
    Mitch Mitchell recently posted…The Process Of Writing Leadership Is/Isn’t EasyMy Profile

Hi Mitch, thanks. Of course you are welcome – you are good with doing that often, adding a personal message to the RT’s. I just logged into TweetDeck, it reminds me more of Hootsuite now. I’m so glad they got rid of that annoying bird chirping sound it once had. Oh yes, you have to do it manually if you want when you reply. I’d love ability to edit tweets, some day! Thanks for coming by Mitch and have a terrific Thursday.
      Lisa recently posted…How Twitter Has Improved and Made Itself SimpleMy Profile

Since I’m rarely on Twitter I hadn’t noticed these changes. I just jumped over there before leaving this comment and I guess they’re not noticeable at this moment in the tweet stream.

I’m still using TweetDeck so you can just click on an icon and the conversation will open up so that’s always been really nice. I like that you can now tweet several people and those won’t count as characters. I hate when I want to say something to a lot of people yet they all count with the original tweet.

Thank you for staying on top of the changes at Twitter. You’re our go to girl for all the new scoop. Love it Lisa and thank you so much.

Adrienne recently posted…How To Blog Your Way Out Of A JobMy Profile

Hi Adrienne, Twitter usually does it in a rollout, I’ve seen it on several conversations which is why I made the screenshot. And it’s not yet on mobile, just desktop. Thanks for reminding to check out Tweetdeck again. That’s how it is with the tagging now too, nice! You are welcome Adrienne and I appreciate your coming by today. Enjoy the rest of your week 🙂
      Lisa recently posted…How Twitter Has Improved and Made Itself SimpleMy Profile

• Adrian Jock

I haven’t seen yet the red lines, but I don’ think that they help me in any way. So no big loss 🙂

As for the retweet with comment, you consider that feature an improvement. I consider it a disaster from marketing point of view. Different perspectives 😉
    Adrian Jock recently posted…Retweet with Comment Punches Marketers in the FaceMy Profile

LOL Adrian, why am I not surprised? I caught them on a few now. I guess it’s a rollout. I do like that feature, I like being able to add something to make the RT more personal. Oh yes, I do remember your post about that a while back. I see the link here too. You always do have a different take, keeps it interesting, right? If we all thougth the same way it sure would be boring. Thanks for coming by Adrian and for your input 🙂
      Lisa recently posted…How Twitter Has Improved and Made Itself SimpleMy Profile

• Debbie D.

Great news about the character count! I’m one of those who finds Twitter somewhat confusing, even after a couple of years. 😛 Still trying to figure out the Twitter cards. They look so cool! One of these days I’ll revisit that topic, for sure! Thanks for the info, Lisa.
    Debbie D. recently posted…SCREAMMy Profile

• Brenda Lee

Hey Twitter Queen! I noticed this on my web Twitter not too long ago and was soooooo happy about it! I can’t wait for it to come out on mobile. Twitter is making some pretty awesome changes imo. I remember when I first got on Twitter, pre blogging, and just spread pit bull awareness there. It was an awesome tool to utilize and still is.

Thanks for sharing this awesome new feature. Now please tell them to hurry up and get on mobile! 😉

Happy Tuesday!