Oh No Twitter Not the Hashtags & Other Twitter Changes

Twitter Changes and No Hashtags?

Have you been reading the news about the new Twitter changes online or on Twitter itself? The talk revolves around no more #hashtags on Twitter along with other several big changes. Can you imagine what Twitter would be like without hashtags? What would the Twitter chats end up looking like? How would they work? The talk also claimed that Twitter was looking to get rid of the @ replies. This would not be the same Twitter you and I have come to know and love!

Twitter – If It Ain’t Broke Don’t Fix It!

Isn’t that the saying? If it ain’t broke why fix it? Why does every social network site think they have to make changes just because Facebook is constantly changing things?

The Number of Tweets Seen – That’s A Nice One!

One change Twitter is playing with is seeing how many tweets of yours are being seen by how many of your followers. Now that’s a nice feature! They are currently testing this one for their advertisers. It is a new view’s item that would show beneath your Twitter posts on how many people actually saw your tweet in their stream. Would you really want to know?

Overall I think it would be a very nice feature to have. It would be another way to see which type of tweets are working well. If you have signed up for the Twitter ad program when they sent a FREE $50 trial, there is a place on that dashboard that shows how many retweets, favorites, etc each of your tweets gets. (It’s available even after the FREE trial). After researching more on this particular Twitter change on Buzz Feed it appears it may only show to the person tweeting not the general Twitter public. The example I found showed the views but when I went on the Twitter stream for that particular person I could not see their views. Interesting how it looks to be similar to Facebook insights for pages. I think many will like that feature to be kept private and not public.

Twitter Music Gone For Now

The Twitter music from the Apple app store will no longer be available starting April 18. Twitter is looking at other ways to bring content for music into Twitter. It will be interesting to see what they come up with for this type of Twitter changes. According to the Wall St. Journal there will be some new music Twitter app coming soon. Stay tuned for more Twitter changes.

Twitter Mobile Updates

Twitter also updated their mobile site by placing favorites and retweets more predominately on the mobile site. This has increased both favorites and retweets by 35%! Have you noticed a difference from your Tweets? The only thing the mobile app does not allow is to comment prior to a retweet. I have to use Tweetcaster for that one still.

Twitter Photo Tagging

Twitter will be adding photo tagging. It will allow you to tag up to 10 people in a photo on Twitter. The tagging will not add more characters to the 140 character count allowed via Twitter. This new feature is being rolled out to Android and iPhone users first. If you don’t want to be tagged in photos via Twitter check out the privacy settings and adjust them so you cannot be tagged. People who have their Twitter accounts set to private can only be tagged by those that follow them. This twitter change sounds like Facebook doesn’t it?

More Twitter Changes with Twitter Collage Feature

Twitter will also allow you to use up to 4 photos in a single tweet as a collage. Photos have really added a lot into the Twitter stream the past few months and this new feature will only take it a step further. Start snapping those photos away now!

What other Twitter changes would you like to see happen? Which are your favorite new Twitter changes?

Since writing this post Twitter has come out with new Twitter Profiles – they are slowly rolling it out to users.

They will look more like Facebook profiles.

She has 20+ years experience in marketing/advertising with 4 years experience blogging, social media and SEO. Get her new eBook Tweeting Like It's 2nd Nature Today!
p5rn7vb

62 Responses to Oh No Twitter Not the Hashtags & Other Twitter Changes

• Ileane

Hi Lisa, thanks for sharing the breaking news in a way that I could understand it.
    I was getting bits and pieces from tweets here and there but you gave us the full run down. I think getting rid of hashtags is silly and I can’t understand the reasoning behind that idea. But some of the other changes might be nice.

Have a great weekend Lisa. Chat soon!
    Ileane recently posted…The Complete Guide To Using Twitter Lists Like a ProMy Profile

Hi Ileane, nice to see you here. Yes, the last 2 tidbits just came about after I started to write this post so I was glad I took my time and could put it all together. I do like the changes on the photos and seeing how many people see your tweets. But the hashtags – I can’t imagine Twitter without them! Thanks for your input and have a great weekend Ileane.
      Lisa recently posted…Oh No Twitter Not the Hashtags & Other Twitter ChangesMy Profile

:sad: My thoughts are, if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it! Why? Just Why? I don’t know if I’ll like the changes but hey, like with any change, you either get used to it or dump it. I love Twitter too much to dump it. I look forward to seeing what they do and just hope it’s for the better. I don’t get the no #hashtag use though? :neutral: Thanks for shedding some light on this Lisa. I guess we’ll all be sitting back and waiting.
    Bren recently posted…Accept Your Past MistakesMy Profile

Hi Bren – yes. I can’t imagine dumping Twitter but I hope they really don’t get rid of hashtags. It would be ironic since they started them and all other social media sites followed suit. The other changes I think are good. The photo tagging may be controversial but you can change your settings if you are uncomfortable about it. Thanks for coming by Bren and have a great weekend – it’s finally here!

This is certainly news! I just read about the changes on Twitter even at Carolyn’s blog and was just wondering what more is in store because one’s been hearing about all of these changes coming up slowly, but you explained it well here :)

Yes, like Ileane mentioned, I wonder what our tweets will look like without Hashtags! And is this official or are they still testing things around, or what happens even if we continue to use Hastags I wonder? I hardly use any photos in my tweets, but now one would have to rethink on that one as well.

Thanks for sharing all of this with us. Have a nice weekend :)
    Harleena Singh recently posted…Don’t Miss These Tips on Home Safety for SeniorsMy Profile

Hi Harleena, they are just in the thinking stage on the hashtags – I can’t imagine they would really get rid of them! (they started them overall). Some of the other features are going out to the advertisers first and they tend to do a rollout like Facebook and not everyone at once. I hope they don’t change things too quickly and confuse many users who may get frustrated to never return. Thanks for coming by Harleena and have yourself a wonderful weekend!

• Brian Hawkins

I was reading it like hashtags would still be used but not shown, similar to meta data but I could be wrong. Big changes either way, that’s for sure.
    Brian Hawkins recently posted…What is Hashtag Hijacking? Using Trending Hashtags For More ExposureMy Profile

• Hi Lisa!

I totally agree with you…if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I can’t believe Twitter is actually considering removing the Hashtag…that is silly like Ileane said.

I like some of the changes they’re making. I’ve been sharing more photos lately so the new collage feature will be cool to use.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I hadn’t been on Twitter lately and missed this news…as always you come through and keep us in the know!

TGIF Lisa! Have a great day. Any plans for the weekend?
    Corina Ramos recently posted…Friday Round Up: Work-from-Home Job Leads 03-28-14My Profile

Hi Corina, thanks. Like Brian commented it may still exist but be invisible? Odd indeed! I like the new changes too and hope they roll them out slowly. It is hard to keep up on all the news and I’m glad I worked on this post over a few days as new stuff kept coming out and I could add it to the post. I don’t have any set plans, kinda like that kind of a weekend. I hope to get in a walk before the rains hit and finish working on house. I also hope to work on a video for an upcoming post. I had a goal of doing it by March 31st. Tick-tock goes the clock! I hope you have a nice weekend Corina and see you back on Twitter!

• donna merrill

This came just in time for me. I know Twitter is hot, but I’m not active. Now that it is getting more social, I NEED to be in the game. I have a meeting with a VA next week to discuss what I want to do. This sure is on my list!

Thanks so much for the info girl!
    donna merrill recently posted…How To Deal With Going Off Line For A WeekMy Profile

• Carol B

Oh no, say it ain’t so! I feel like I finally got the hang of the hashtag. So what will replace the hashtag? But I guess, if you don’t keep changing, change might just pass you by.

I just changed my privacy setting so that only people who follow me can tag images. Don’t really like the idea of anyone being able to tag me in an image.
    Have a great weekend Lisa.
    Carol B recently posted…Exploring Mayan Masterpieces – Belize Family Travel SeriesMy Profile

Hi Carol, I know, me too. I think as Brian noted in comments it may be there but it may become invisible. They are still in the “considering” stages so we will have to see. I like your quote about change :)
      I haven’t done that yet but may. It will be interesting to see how these new Twitter changes will play out Carol. You too, have a great weekend and thanks for coming by!

• Ryan Biddulph says:

Agreed Lisa! Oh no indeed! I have no clue why twitter would ditch @replies; tried to figure it out after the news broke. Why fix something that works? I dig it, and never felt confused about how to use twitter, despite how some believe that these are necessary changes for user experience.

Tweeted through Triberr!

Hi Ryan, me too – never confused on Twitter, it’s like home to me. Facebook, another story! I like some of the changes like seeing how many people see your tweets in the stream and the photo collage. It will be very interesting to see how these changes pan out if they go ahead with them. Gotta love Triberr! Thanks for coming by Ryan, enjoy your weekend.

Interesting times ahead for Twitter Lisa.

I don’t use hashtags much but I can see why they’re useful. I don’t know that I’d miss them though.

@replies I think I would miss. I think they work really well and make Twitter feel more unique to me in that regard.

I haven’t used too many photos on Twitter but the collage feature sounds great. I must make more use of it!

I don’t like tagging particularly. My wife and I tag each other on Facebook but at least you can then decide whether you want it in your timeline or not.

The number of Tweets seen sounds like another great feature. I think I’d like that one a lot!
    Tim Bonner recently posted…Should You Publish A Blog Post Every Day?My Profile

Hi Tim, oh yes, that is for sure! I would miss them, especially when searching on Twitter. I think I’ll love the collage feature. Tagging can be both good and bad. And the number of tweets feature if they keep it private will be a great addition. I hope they don’t continue to make changes fast and furious like Facebook has. Slow and steady is good for the users. Thanks for coming by Tim and have a great new week ahead!

• Sherryl Perry

Thanks for sharing! It’s great to be able to come over here and get a quick recap like this.

I would love to see the number of tweets that are seen by our followers but I would like that feature to be private not public. As for hashtags, I sure hope Brian is right about Twitter continuing to use them for meta data. I would really miss them.
    Sherryl Perry recently posted…Google Manual Web Spam Actions and Penalties #FridayFindsMy Profile

You are welcome Sherryl. The changes kept coming as I was preparing this post, glad I took my time on it. I believe Twitter intends to keep that feature private, thank goodness. Me too and Brian may have a good point there in his comment. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out Sherryl. Have a great new week and new month that begins tomorrow!

• I. C. Daniel

Wow… for sure this changes will have an impact, will see how is going to affect Twitter.
    To be frank I’m not very active on Twitter yet, I share once awhile new topics from my upcoming forum.
    I. C. Daniel recently posted…Who is Cheapest Domain Names Registrar ?My Profile

It’s interesting that Twitter is thinking of ending hashtags right around the time Google Plus started using hashtags. Will Google Plus end hashtags, too?

Thanks for the info on Tweetcaster. I’ve bookmarked the site and will download the app on my iPhone.
    Lauren recently posted…A Blogger Looks Back to 2009 and Asks, Why Am I Here?My Profile

LOL Lauren, I was thinking the same thing. Most all of the social networks started to use them. I think Brian in his comment had a point, Twitter may use the hashtags in medadata so we won’t see it but it will still be there, like invisible. I do like using Tweetcaster along with the regular Twitter app on my Droid. Thanks for coming by and I hope you were able to keep dry this weekend. Have a great new week!

• Okto

I’ve been missed a lot about twitter but thanks for this post. The recap saves a lot of times to understand the progress on twitter.
    Okto recently posted…The Days When SEO Began To Catch the EyesMy Profile

• Hi Lisa, Twitter’s announcements seem to be contradictory about whether they’re getting rid of #hashtags. This article by Mashable shows that Twitter is going back and forth with their information about @replies and #hashtags: http://mashable.com/2014/03/20/twitter-eliminating-at-replies-hashtags/ I can see why Twitter wants to make its service easier to use to grow its user base, but getting rid of hashtags would be a big mistake.

Hashtags are now used by other sites, such as Facebook and Pinterest, so the world at large is getting used to them. #Hashtags can make searching and being found much easier. I only dislike #hashtags when they’re overused, such as in titles of blog posts.

Thanks for this excellent rundown on Twitter news, Lisa!
    Carolyn Nicander Mohr recently posted…Twitter News and the Setting You May Want to Change Right NowMy Profile

Hi Carolyn, yes that is for sure, a big mistake to get rid of hashtags. But maybe like Brian left in his comment, they may be in the form of a metatag and be invisible on the surface. They can be overused even in tweets and other places like Instagram. Sometimes you can see 10 or 15, Overkill! Thanks for coming by Carolyn and have a great day!

• Lisa thanks so much for the update, i just hope twitter is joking concerning the hash tag update. as for the others I give them a thumb up especially that of number of views. Frankly speaking that will be lovely
    Peter Kanayo recently posted…Building Your Audience: The Anatomy of a Blogging GeneralMy Profile

Crap! Seriously? Okay, I might not be the biggest hashtag person but I’ve been trying lately and the @replies will really tick me off. I really don’t understand some of these platforms when they change things up so much. Just like you said, if it ain’t broke then why fix it! It’s working just fine the way it is. Sure, add some improvements but don’t change what’s already working.

Guess we’ll just have to wait and see right!

Appreciate the update Lisa.

Adrienne recently posted…How To Create Images That Stand OutMy Profile

Hi Adrienne, I know huh? And Twitter has had the least amount of changes compared to all the other social networks especially Facebook who changes more than we change our own underwear. I hope they really reconsider the hashtags and replies. Time will sure tell. You are welcome and have a great day Adrienne. Awaiting some sunshine here today!

• William Butler

I think it will be interesting to see what Twitter does with the music. I like that we will be able to upload 4 photos at one time. While tagging can be a useful feature, I also see how photo tagging could be used by spammers.

Have a nice week!
    Bill
    William Butler recently posted…Helen Keller: A Rich Legacy of Wise WordsMy Profile

• Dave Lucas says:

twitter is probably following the example set by Google. Google’s mantra is ” If It Ain’t Broke FIX It!” – something they have steamrolled over users time after time. In the end, like a dictator, Google always wins. If twitter makes ANY changes, you may yell and holler and protest, but eventually you will understand you have NO VOICE because twitter is NOT a democracy!

• Glenn Shepherd

Thanks for sharing this info. I actually wasn’t even aware that there are going to be changes until I read this post!

I am definitely in the camp of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” Facebook, YouTube, Twitter… all constantly thinking that they know what’s best for their users and herding through changes despite any feedback that shows they’re not welcome.

I’m actually curious to see what they come up with in this instance though, as I’ve never really completely ‘got’ Twitter. I think the most important thing is that whatever they implement in replacement actually works as, so often with these type of scenarios, there was nothing wrong in the first place and as soon as the ‘improvements’ come along then things start to break left, right and centre.

It’ll be interesting to see if Facebook, after not so long ago introducing the use of hashtags, will end up dropping them too…. :wink:

»Glenn«
    Glenn Shepherd recently posted…The Great Traffic IllusionMy Profile

Hi Glenn, What did you not get about Twitter? (I will have to send you my eBook on Twitter.) I am not so sure they will completely drop the hashtags, they may end up as metatag as Brian mentioned in his comment here. It sure would be odd without them or the replies. Let’s hope they really think long and hard on those 2. The other changes are more than welcomed. Twitter has been the social site with the least amount of changes over the years. Facebook it seems changes daily. Thanks for coming by Glenn and have a great day.

• Glenn Shepherd

When I first discovered it I just couldn’t see the point of it. I could see all these people jumping on it but I was like, “Okay, but what does it actually DO and what is it actually FOR?”. To this day I don’t really use it other than for marketing exposure and since discovering Tweetdeck I’m now finding it much easier to keep on top of, especially when it comes to interacting with people who have tagged me, RT, etc.

I agree, I can’t see them dropping tagging altogether, it just wouldn’t serve any purpose. If they end up dropping the actual hashtag approach they’ll have to replace it with something else. Of course that begs the question, as has already been addressed, why bother in the first place? Anyhoo, it’ll be interesting to see how things pan out.

I look forward to going through your ebook, I’m sure it will prove to be helpful :-)

»Glenn«
        Glenn Shepherd recently posted…The Great Traffic IllusionMy Profile

Hi Glenn, thanks for coming back to explain. I really think they will rethink the hashtag drop unless like Brian commented that they may use it as a metatag and it will appear invisible. Do you also use lists on Twitter Glenn? I find those extremely helpful to keep on top of things there. I hope you enjoy the eBook and have a great day ahead.
          Lisa recently posted…WIFI – Is Your Mobile, Tablet or Laptop Safe Online?My Profile

Thanks for this new info. I just found out yesterday that Twitter was making changing. I think I like the one where you can see who sees your tweets! I think that’s pretty cool. As far as the other changes, I use Twitter but not as effectively as I could because it is a bit hard to comprehend. I got the minimum. :)

Thanks for this update. Maybe now I can look more into it.

Regards,
    Barbara

Hi Barbara, you are welcome :) I like that one too and like the idea that it will also be private vs public. Have you checkedo out my eBook “Tweeting Like It’s Second Nature?” It’s free with email subscription. I like that Twitter has been slow to make changes vs Facebook which changes daily. I also love the idea of 4 photos on a tweet. I can’t wait to see how those will look. Thanks for coming by Barbara!

• Hey Lisa,

You know I just start recently using twitter more although I had an account for over 5 years. I figure I would add the app to my phone so that I can be more engaging, which is working by the way! Now you’re mention that they are going to be changing some things, especially getting rid of the hashtag. That’s amazing since that is the popular feature, so now I’m wondering what are all the twitter users going to do without them? Thanks for sharing this info.!
    Sherman Smith recently posted…How To Be Hip On Social Media So You Can Pop Your Collar!My Profile

Hi Sherman, oh yes I could not imagine using Twitter without my Droid! It will be interesting to see if they do or if they make it a metatag which would be invisible like Brian mentioned in his comment. The replies is the other feature I would hate to see go. Let’s hope they don’t mess with those 2 – I do like the idea of 4 photos to make a collage in a tweet and see how many see our tweets in our streams. Thanks for coming by Sherman and have a wonderful day!

• Wow. Most of these changes sound AWFUL to me! No hashtags? No @ replies? That’s just crazy! The tweet views sounds ok, but I don’t really care one way or another. I’m disheartened by this. Already, I’ve all but abandoned Facebook for business purposes because of their changes and money-grubbing for ads. I have to be on for client pages and I do engage there personally, but as a business tool, I despise Facebook for all the changes they’ve made.

Sadly, it sounds like Twitter may be going down the same road. I was fairly certain this would happen once they went public (or even began talking about going public). It looks like I’ll be using Google Plus more than ever if Twitter goes the way of FB. Ugh.
    Samantha Gluck recently posted…How to Be the King (or Queen) of HeadlinesMy Profile

Hi Samantha, I think they will rethink the hashtags or as Brian mentioned hashtags may become metatags (and appear invisible) I’m not leaving Twitter by anymeans. I’ve tried to do more on Google+ this year and less on Facebook. I don’t stress over my FB page at all anymore. I share there via the Buffer and occasionally comment on other pages when I have spare time (not often). So don’t give up on Twitter just yet Samantha, let’s see what they actually do! Have a great rest of your week and miss you!

Always looking out for Twitter changes ;) Aren’t you? Nice to find Twitter updates in one place. I like the new tagging and collage features.

Eventhough I’m not a big fan of hashtags, I see how other tweeps love having ‘em. May be they are trying to follow Google+ and hashtag tweets automatically? However I’ve been through Vivian Schiller’s Twitter profile and a reporter wanna confirm the rumors. But she asked to contact their team before publishing and that newspaper has no recent topic about Twitter changes either. May be it’s under discussion with the response of Twitter users?

I love Twitter for what it is and agree with you about fixing what’s not broken. Can’t they just add new cool features to stay ahead of the competition? I like their new UI and been a huge fan of their official Twitter app (Not the new icon though) too. Let’s await for other changes to come.

You know, we always have to go with what they offer and get used to ‘em over time though :)

You have a wonderful wee there dear :)

Mayura recently posted…Show Related Posts on Blogger with LinkWithinMy Profile

You know it Mayura! I do too and if tagging gets out of hand – we can change our privacy settings. That’s an interesting point Mayura, inserting them automatically. I think they are still thinking it over. True, we have to go with the flow and get used to it. You too – have a great rest of the week and it’s almost the weekend on your side of the world Mayura, enjoy!

• Nirmala

Nice post Lisa :)

Even I’ve published a post related to twitter updates under the topic “New Twitter Features” last week. Like others, i don’t like the removal of hash tags, @ replies and RT features. Twitter is well-known with these features and it would be fruitless without them.

Thanks for the updates, do check my post too if you find time.
    Nirmala recently posted…Keep Yourself Updated With New Twitter FeaturesMy Profile

• Geri Richmond says:

Hey congrats on making the best blogs list, that is Awesome!

I like the idea of seeing the stats on the tweets and the photos. I haven’t used the photos yet, but I know I will.

Thanks for the low down on Twitter, I appreciate it.
    Geri

• Ashley says:

Ah Twitter, what should you do now you have done an IPO and need money?
    Well advertising is fair enough! But removing Hashtags. One of the fundamentals of twitter, I don’t think so.
    If that were to happen, I would be spending a lot more time on Google+ I think.
    I hope they realise the backlash they would incur should they choose to accept this mission! boom
    Anyway, my rant for the day.
    Thanks for keeping us up to date lisa!
    ashley

• Kumar Gauraw

I am late to the party but I guess it’s worth coming here! Thanks for these updates and yes, photo tagging sounds very exciting :-) just like Facebook!

I don’t think Twitter will be able to get rid of hashtags afer Facebook and Google+ have put this in their mainstream. Probably this will be like a hoax coming and going?

Have a great week!

Regards,
    Kumar
    Kumar Gauraw recently posted…4 Awesome Plugins For Advanced WordPress BloggersMy Profile

Kumar, it’s never to late to come here :) You are welcome. Yes, the tagging will be like Facebook and watch out for those spammers. You can always block them. I agree, I don’t think it will actually happen or we will all be in shock. You too Kumar, have a great rest of the week and weekend ahead! Can’t believe the first week of April is passing us by so quickly.

• Charmie

Well the recent updations with which twitter is coming and has been coming is little disappointing for me. And now removing these hashtags is something wierd.
    Charmie recently posted…Listen, Learn and Lead : 3 Step to an Inevitable BloggingMy Profile

• amiti

I am glad that they are looking into what can be done to get better. Some times playing the waiting game is what kills you off (MySpace). It would be unfortunate to get rid of the #, as it is their signature, but the other moves look like they might be okay.
    amiti recently posted…Albert Einstein would Thrive at Publishing ContentMy Profile

• Samir says:

OMG, I really don’t know about this news. Seems like twitter has done a great changed.

Thanks for update.
    Samir recently posted…Download Free Illinois Withholding Income Tax Return FormMy Profile