5 Lazy Social Media Moves to Avoid Today

The Lazy Social Media Moves

Do you get lazy managing your social media like this cat? It would look like you have fallen asleep with your smartphone or tablet and you can’t get up. I’ve been noticing that on Twitter more often lately and began to wonder how laziness happens across the various social media platforms. I will admit, I do some of the following examples as well. Why not, it’s easier! Let’s see what we do that is lazy social media and how we can overcome that laziness or easy way out. We don’t want to look like this cat and have our picture taken like that now, do we?

Facebook

Likes vs. Comments

You know the easy way here, just like away a post or two here, post your stuff and you are done, right? Not really. Did you know comments are much more valuable than likes? But they do take more TIME! When your own posts get more comments or shares, you will get more clicks over to your post or website. Isn’t that what you want? Recently the folks at Edgerank Checker analyzed how many clicks a post received against each of the major metrics (likes, comments, impressions). They found that for every post that received a like it got 3.1 clicks. For each comment the post received it got 14.678 clicks. That is more than 4x the likes! Does that give you a reason not to be a lazy social media person?

Twitter

RT’s vs. RT’s with Comments

Do you receive RT’s that are generic? Do you appreciate a RT that has a comment with it? Or do you see added words that add something with more value to the original post when someone shares it? Sometimes we go so fast or on our mobile and can’t quite find the way to RT without taking more time. Check out the following RT or share. Do you see the difference?

Corina added her own sentence before the actual tweet and gave it more Zing! Corina is not a lazy social media person. I’ve seen her do it on various social networks too. I’ve learned on mobile now with the Twitter app you can use the Quote feature to do this. Or you can use Tweetcaster makes it easy with their re-tweet feature. Hootsuite has the option too with their RT. How about peeps that only re-tweet stuff you have tweeted with their links? What’s up with that?

Google +

Google+ is similar to Twitter when one shares a post. Do you just share as is or do you add your commentary to it? Do you give it more reasons for others to open the post and read it? I know, it’s easy to hit the plus button and forget about it. Let’s not be that lazy social media person on Google+!

LinkedIn

LinkedIn – Another place that I see many will like a post but not comment as often. I see it more there than any other social site and maybe because it’s the platform. Do you fear your employer seeing your comments? That could explain why it’s different on that platform.

Pinterest

Pinterest is a little different from the others but receiving comments may lead to more re-pins and followers. Some pins are so moving or so adorable – how can you not leave a comment?

Lazy Social Media – It’s the easy way out. But it’s not really being social now, is it? We must remember why we are on social media, to engage with others. Giving something a like does not engage. Like’s are still nice. But leaving comments and going back and forth with someone via a conversation – that’s engagement.

What do you feel are lazy social media moves?

Image of cat courtesy of koratmember at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

She has 20+ years experience in marketing/advertising with 4 years experience blogging, social media and SEO. Get her new eBook Tweeting Like It's 2nd Nature Today!

68 Responses to 5 Lazy Social Media Moves to Avoid Today

• Evan

Actually I used to be one of those people who got carried away and had set up automated direct messages to users that follow me. But it only took me about a week to realise that this was not the right strategy and I stopped it.
    Evan recently posted…Best WordPress Beauty Salon themesMy Profile

Hi Evan, don’t those automated messages drive you crazy? They do to me know and I’m often surprised how many still use them. Maybe the set them up and forgot about them. Glad to read you stopped yours :) Have a great week ahead Evan.

• Martin

That happens with me. I go onto Twitter and someone has followed me, I follow them back because they are a blogger like me to and then I get a direct message straight away. It drives me crazy and I (as well as others, I presume) just see it as spam and then do not view the link.

This is one method I would never do.
        Martin recently posted…Promotion forums – Good or useless?My Profile

Hi Martin – that drives me nuts too! I was guilty of it in the very beginning and would direct them to my FB page, no longer. It’s been over a year I stopped because I did not like getting them myself anymore. It’s much better to follow other pages and leave comments on FB or tweet out some things from your FB page to generate interest. I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend Martin!
          Lisa recently posted…The Benefits of Searching For Jobs In LinkedInMy Profile

Loved the post :)

Yes indeed, some people ARE lazy, and there is nothing you can do to make them overcome their laziness as it’s part of their habit or attitude I’d say. Well, speaking of myself, I do take a lot of time on the various social media platforms, whether it’s tweets, retweets, or the comments. Why? Because it’s always more about others and being social than yourself. Perhaps that’s why I still have a few pending comments left at my blog ;)

Yes, comments ARE my major time takers, and I always share the posts where I leave a comment – have never been in the favor of just liking and leaving, unless it’s on G+ communities, where again there is a lot of interaction and commenting going on, so it all depends on how much time you are ready to devote into it all.

Adding a little value, just as Corina did above to the tweets, or the FB shares, or even if you share someones post on G+, or anywhere else, makes it more valueable and you personalize your share too. I think it has much more meaning than anything else. And now that you said that folks at Edgerank Checker also recommend to going a step further – what’s there to stop us?

Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week ahead :)
    Harleena Singh recently posted…Alcoholic Parents: Family Problems and SolutionsMy Profile

Thank you Harleena, I guess you are right some people – it’s in their attitude. You sure are not lazy online Harleena – especially with comments. I’ve always admireed yours and Mayura for their insights and length. Something I do not do as well. I’m more of a short and to the point type of person most of the time. The only thing left to stop us may be time. It all does take time. Have a great week ahead Harleena and thanks for your input and sharing.

• Enstine Muki

This is like sprinkling drops on cold water on an almost sleeping blogger. I didn’t know I was getting lazy on social media ;)
    Last week, I liked few posts and did few comments. Can’t even remember if I did some RT & comments.

Now, I’m getting up. No more laziness ;)
    Enstine Muki recently posted…ProBlogging Action Plan review ~ What It Takes To Build A Successful BlogMy Profile

LOL, love that analogy Enstine. I hope you are wide awake and up now :) I’ve done some of these myself Enstine. But when you start to think about it – it does make you realize it’s about engagement and do you ever engage with likes on Facebook or comments? See how easy that is? I hope you have a great week Enstine and thanks for your comment today that made me smile.
      Lisa recently posted…5 Lazy Social Media Moves to Avoid TodayMy Profile

Good morning Lisa! Happy Monday!

What a wonderful surprise to see my mug as I”m reading along the post, thanks so much for the mention :). I’m all about the shares, it’s part of being social and second to creating great content. I like adding the extra stuff to entice the click, guess I still have some marketing blood left in me :)

I was reading your reply to Harleena’s comment about commenting and I’m like you in that I like to keep things short, sweet and to the point. Having worked in a fast-paced environment it was say what you have to say in as little words as possible and keep going. :)

I’ve seen my share of tweeps RT’ing their RTs….that’s crazy right there and they have no shame doing it either. I tried to share an example of what could be construed as lazy but it’s more of working smarter but if I had to pick one it would be the automated direct messages in Twitter…it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if I didn’t get these :)

Great post Lisa, gives us a chance to sit back and think what kind of social media reputation we have :) Have a great week!
    Corina Ramos recently posted…How A Mystery Shopper Makes MoneyMy Profile

You are welcome Corina, you are the queen of the RT and sharing on Twitter :) That explains it, I’ve always been on deadlines and saying little words as possible helps to meet them. I often wondered why. I do not like those automated DM’s anymore at all! It would not hurt my feelings either, that’s for sure Corina. Thank you for coming by, for your input and for your great shares in the social uniververse. I hope you have a wonderful week and catch up with in the socialsphere.

• Theodore Nwangene

Happy new week Lisa,
    I really enjoyed this post because, i also do the liking stuff a lot. Most often, i normally use my phone to access my social media profiles and, i always like ,more than comment.

But, the reason why i agree with you that comment is more valuable than likes si because i know how happy i use to be when someone left a comment on my own status so.

I am going to start engaging more with my social media friends via commenting and liking on their status the more.

Thanks a lot for opening my eyes :).

Do have a great week.
    Theodore Nwangene recently posted…If You Don’t Use Images on Your Blog, You’ll Hate Yourself LaterMy Profile

• Reginald

Nice write up. Personally, I am using all except for Pinterest. Doesn’t really hit the type of niche I am doing but again, still trying to get the hang of it.

Nonetheless, I think this is an excellent post and definitely deserve a share.

Reginald
    Reginald recently posted…HostGator Review – Possibly The Best Low Budget Web Hosting?My Profile

Thanks Reginald. I’ve been doing well with Pinterest on my retail site and lately on this one too. One you pick up steam it keeps rolling as long as you stay active on it, and for 5 minutes 2x daily is only what you need to do. Of course sometimes a few pins will really catch your interest and you may linger on there. Have a great week!
      Lisa recently posted…5 Lazy Social Media Moves to Avoid TodayMy Profile

Did you just call me lazy? :shock: I take total offense to this! :smile: Seriously, I am guilty of doing it sometimes but there aren’t enough hours in the day when you work all day then go home to needy people and animals. They way I see it, it’s better to get it shared, than not shared at all.

Thanks for bringing this to light Lisa. Happy bla bla Monday!
    Bren recently posted…No-Kill Shelter Struggling in Delaware: Fate of Animals UnknownMy Profile

LOL – Not you Brenda, no way. I hear you loud and clear, I live in that same universe with you Bren. But I’m tring a tad harder to share tweets with a little extra and comment more on FB rather than just liking. Lets’s see if it lasts :) Have a better rest of the week ahead Bren. Monday is almost over.

• Ian Cleary says:

Great point Lisa. I try to even put one word in front of an article I’m share e.g. useful, interesting etc. I think this shows you are actually reading the content!

• Pamela Morse says:

LinkedIn does not generate comments for posts generally. Group discussions are about the only way to get interaction there, in my experience. I just heard a shocking statistic about men on FB..I am not sure of the exact number but around 47% of all men on FB never like anything..made me think..hmm… styles are different.

Hi Pamela, yes, I was thinking that too – women are more social on the social sites – but that’s no surprise right? We speak a lot more words too. Just human nature. You may be right on LinkedIn, I will be going back there to double check. Ah, – you can comment now in the stream on LinkedIn, that is fairly new :) Thanks for coming by and for your input, have a great week ahead Pamela.

• Pramod

Hi Lisa !
    Social Media might be an useful source of web traffic for most of the webmasters ..but not for me . I check out my social media accounts regularly for updates from the pages i like and from my friends .The hilarious pages/profiles i follow makes my day ..hence the first thing i do on getting up is log into my FB/Twitter profile from my smartphone and check for the updates that i mentioned above .

-Pramod
    Pramod recently posted…Ubuntu Edge:Dual Boot Ubuntu Smartphone with 128GB SSD and 4GB RAMMy Profile

• raj

I loved the post as I too used to be the same lazy guy some times in the past. But soon I realized the loss & start being alert while on social media. Now I am quite active in social media specially Facebook & twitter. One should be loyal to its friends & followers when it comes to replying to them sincerely. Social media has now become a most powerful tool to attract more traffic & if one is not being regular to it, he/she may lose a significant amount of traffic.
    raj recently posted…Shazam for PC Download,Shazam for Windows7/8/Vista Computer,Shazam Para PCMy Profile

• Silviu

HI Lisa,

“We must remember why we are on social media, to engage with others.” Well it seems you are right. Unfortunately. People are more and more lazy with social media. The reasons can only be guessed. As for me I think the huge competition for attention triggers an enormous amount of work. After you done it for a long period of time and see the results are miserable you start to be lazy. Let’s see Facebook.

In 1 year I posted about 1000 posts on my profile page. The number of likes is probably 10 times higher. I remember posting and liking and commenting day after day, night after night, asking questions, challenging people. There were time when I simply asked that person if she is alive and OK because it was extremely silent. I tried even to be impolite sometimes just to see if people react. No or little reaction. Everything looked like an autistic world.
    As for Pinterest I have already presented the case in post of mine. It is hopeless.

It seems that social media is approaching a kind of peak and people slowly start to get tired and bored. What were they thinking? Maybe they thought social media is a kind of Savior that will make them money and entertain them and keep them satisfied and solve their problems. Social media is work and people hate this word. 1 billion users on facebook? What’s the use if only 10% are active?

Have a nice day
    Silviu recently posted…Viral Content Contest Case Study 1My Profile

Hi Silviu, well many are also known as “lurkers” – they do not particpate, they sit on the sidelines and watch. Isn’t it that way with many things? I notice that a lot on FB, many commenters on mine are bloggers. But when I go to day job someone will refer to something I posted on FB though they never commented or liked it. Pinterest, not totally hopeless :) 10% of a billion is 100 million. That’s a pretty good number Silviu! Is the glass half empty or half full? LOL. Thanks for your insightful comment and we do agree on the 10% number. Do enjoy the rest of your day.

• Andrea says:

Alright I’ll confess. :razz:

I only log into facebook once every 3 months or so, and only because some whiney person in real life feels like I knifed her because she’s had a friend request up for 2 1/2 months and I haven’t accepted.

That’s my lazy social media move :D

• Chadrack

If these are really want makes anyone lazy on social media then I’m most laziest! :) I really login to twitter in an average week not to talk of retweeting any post. The same goes for facebook and LinkedIn. Yes, on LinkedIn I sometimes post comments but rarely like or tweet any.

The truth is social media is one thing that I have not been able to bring myself to really using the way it should be. I’ve tried a few times to put up a strategy to help but after a few tries I always revert to old ways. My one problem with social media is that the traffic is not as converting for me as traffic from the search engines which is the area I focus most of my efforts. Maybe when I find a better way for my social media activities I will be able to do more and not be lazy there! :)

Thanks for sharing.
    Chadrack recently posted…SEO Optimization: How Do Search Engines Really Work?My Profile

Hi Chadrack, it sounds like you need to focus on just one social media site for a while and see if changes. Is your site/blog all on SEO? I would recommend Twitter and really partipcate there for a few months. I bet you would notice a difference. Love to know if you do….Good luck and thanks for coming by to share with us on this topic.

• Dana

I definitely prefer seeing RTs with a comment. It makes it look as though the person sharing the info agrees with it enough to suggest it to others. Like a personal recommendation.

Facebook is a little funny to me. I do love reading and making comments – but I DON’T love their lack of privacy – so I’m not always as eager to participate on that platform.

I can say that I do add some type of blurb to whatever I’m sharing. And I’ve discovered that one great way to be ‘lazy’ about it – if you can’t think of something in specific to say (which sometimes I’m too lazy to do as well) – is to copy and paste an related sentence in the post itself and use this as the share blurb…lol
    Dana recently posted…Change the Way You Look at ThingsMy Profile

Hi Dana, thanks for coming by and commenting on this one. I’ve been trying harder to that myself now on Twitter. I’ve been doing it more on FB, I don’t think we really have any privacy anymore with everything online. If you say it, think it could be on national news. (That’s how I think about it.) I like your suggestion about copy and paste – have a great day there.
      Lisa recently posted…5 Lazy Social Media Moves to Avoid TodayMy Profile

I think a personal touch works well with everything, including social media. Well stated.
    Lauren recently posted…I Don’t CareMy Profile

• Ana

VERY good points, Lisa, and I am ashamed to admit I am guilty of a lot of them.

On the other hand, an RT without a personal comment is still better than no RT…
    Ana recently posted…Search Engine Traffic: The Ultimate GuideMy Profile

Thank you Ana. Oh yes, we all are at times. There have been days I’ve been in a rush and could not even think no less add something meaningful to a few tweets. I would agree an RT without a comment is better than NO RT at all :) Appreciate you coming by with input on this one Ana, enjoy the rest of your week. (I’ve been loving your SlideShares!)

Ha ha… Love the cat image in your post! :lol:

I believe spending quality time with more interactions on social networks dear :) That’s what about being socialize. Isn’t it? Well, mostly I spend time with my friends and respond to folks who are kind enough to send love for my stuff. Plus, those who share interesting stuff too. But commenting on anything and everything is not the way to go as I guess.

I’d comment on things that I feel I should comment on or else I go liking, +1ing or RTing :) I just follow my heart. However we can’t expect everyone to do it as they are stuck in busy lives. But if someone contribute more of their time for these little things, I believe they will strength the relationship between ‘em.

Like Corina, I’ve seen how you modify tweets and buffer ‘em :) I try to add something to tweets when sharing but I admit that I’d buffer ‘em away when I’m in a hurry. But I need to be more focused. As you know, I take more time when I can, to assure I add more value. So I won’t regret it later on :)

LinkedIn and Pinterest are networks yet I’m not much active Lisa :) Sometimes I do comment on pins, but mostly I go with liking and repinning. You are right about LinkedIn. I see more likes rather than comments. But when it comes to groups, I find more comments being added :)

Now you convinced me to be more lazy on social networks Lisa ;) Oh NO NO! More productive :D lol…

You have a productive week there dear!

Mayura recently posted…How to Embed Instagram Photos or Videos on Your WebsiteMy Profile

Thanks Mayura, you are definately not a lazy social media person! Yes time is of the essense now isn’t it? There are days I don’t even make it to the Buffer – imagine? But then I do use Triberr daily – it’s a little quicker and with those you cannot add anything. So glad to see you in my Triberr stream now too Mayura. I’m sure your week will be productive and I hope you have some downtime too :) Thanks for coming by and your input on this one.

Hi Lisa!

You are absolutely correct! Lazy social media will get you nowhere. A simple Like won’t do much, but while you are there, a sentence and/or share on Facebook can be a world of difference.

Sharing others posts on the social sites are great if you do put a little zing into it. Personalize it a bit in your introduction and see that it can be a conversation getter!

On Twitter, all you need to do is what Corina has done. Heck, if you are going to share something, put that personal touch to it or ask a question about it. I have received more conversations on Twitter by doing something like this.

You can’t expect all to follow along, but surprisingly lots of folks do.

Thanks for spreading the word how we need to keep social media social!

Donna Merrill recently posted…The Blogger’s RolodexMy Profile

Thank you Donna. Yes, once you get in the happen of doing it, it really doesn’t take much time – as long as you can think quick :) It sure does add to some conversations and exchanges on the social sites too. Thanks for coming by and for your input on this keep social in social media. I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead Donna.

• Debbie

I’ve been guilty of this too, especially on Twitter, but I figure any RT is better than none. Lots of shares are from Triberr and, as mentioned, nothing can be added. There just aren’t enough hours in the day! I do love Corina’s personal touch and sometimes add my own comments, but most of my commenting time is spent on others’ blogs and responding to people who comment on mine. I try to be a s social as time permits. :-) Thanks for the reminder though, Lisa.
    Debbie recently posted…REFLECTIONS OF PUERTO DE LA CRUZ AND THE SAHARA DESERTMy Profile

Hi Debbie, that is true, an RT is better than no RT :) True about Triberr, I wonder if that will change in the future? Once you get doing it, it doesn’t take much time as long as you can think quick. Last night I was so tired I could not think and finally just shut the computer off. We do need more hours in the day for this stuff don’t we Debbie? Thank you for coming by and taking time to comment!

• Barry Wells

Well said :)

I see lazy people all over the place and they do tend to grind me a little. Personally I like to add some form of comments to posts I share. If on Facebook, G+ or LinkedIn I like to say what I liked about the post and how it can help people. I have to be honest though and admit that I use the same comment for all 3 of them… Well it is to 3 different audiences (that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it) :)

Twitter is my baby, I love Twitter. I try to add a couple of hash-tags to keywords in the post title and if there’s room I’ll add a few words.

One of my pet peeves about Twitter is some of the people that ONLY RT the tweets with their links and they NEVER come and thank me. I watch these people and see whether they’re tweeting other peoples content, thanking people and getting in the mix. If they don’t then I refuse to tweet their content again.

Triberr. I like Triberr and try to get in there every day to send tweets. One thing that winds me up is those that think it’s ok for everyone to tweet their content but they never tweet anyone else’s.

Again I watch these people and decide whether it’s worth tweeting their’s again. I often get a tweet with many names in say thanks for the tweets, which is good. But I notice they never tweet other peoples work. I simply reply saying you’re welcome It’s what Triberr’s all about.

It works some times :)

Thanks Lisa,
    Have a great weekend,
    Barry
    Barry Wells recently posted…Is This The Most Important Factor Of Working OnlineMy Profile

Hi Barry, Love your excuse, LOL. Yes, I see that too Barry and it irks me too. Oh yes, there are always a few rotten eggs everywhere even on Triberr. I really like Triberr. I do see how you add words everytime you share Barry – no laziness in you! I finally figured out on mobile how to add them via Twitter app, I use the quote and I can add there. Otherwise I had to go to Tweetcaster to do it and that took more time. Phew. It’s tough not being lazy! I hope you have a great weekend too Barry and how’s the grandchild? Haven’t seen any pics in a while…
      Lisa recently posted…The Benefits of Searching For Jobs In LinkedInMy Profile

• Emmanuel

Hello Madam Lisa,
    I read the post with some sort of reservation. Hahaha
    I’m somehow guilty as well.
    Emmanuel recently posted…What Really Causes Blogging Failure?My Profile

• I am a share-o-lic I get upset when people don’t have commentluv premium and I can’t find thier share buttons. I love to share as you can probably tell by all the comments I left on your blog so far. But when I share my own posts in google + or facebook groups or what have you I do comment back and get invovled. Same with on my website it makes all the difference. Look at you Lisa! You talk back and nobody can ask for more than that. – Scott Craighead
    Scott Craighead recently posted…The Last Of Us Top 10 Moments!My Profile

• Reginald

Thanks for sharing this. Yes in fact I’m seeing many bloggers (and friends) doing that. I used to be rather …. lazy but nowadays, I try to hit up at least some words before pressing the send button.

It’s hard as old habit die hard but at least, I try :)

Thanks for sharing this.

Reginald
    Reginald recently posted…What Did BizSugar Taught Me About List Building?My Profile

• I’m curious about the Facebook stat. The thing with them is that if you like something and I’m connected with you, it’s going to show up in my stream. If you comment on something it also shows up in the stream, but if someone else engages they engage in your stream, not on the page post, because they’re not members, or haven’t “liked” it yet. At least that’s what I thought.
    Mitch Mitchell recently posted…What Does It Take To Be An Expert?My Profile

• Hello Lisa,

Great post!

I agree with you on everything.

Wouldn’t it be nice if everybody finally understood that the word “social” is in social media for a reason? ;-)
    Cendrine Marrouat recently posted…LinkedIn Company Pages get brand new set of analytics (Video)My Profile

• Ashutosh

Lazy. ;) Yes, we all seem to be lazy at times but we must not forget that social media is not only about liking but engaging, as clearly mentioned in your post.

Engaging the audience is the basic motive behind every Blogger and being a Blogger, I somehow love interacting with people. It adds a personal attention and there is no doubt that through an engaging conversation, we can evolve and learn a lot from others. Everyone has learned something in this blogging world and by sharing our thoughts, we are not only helping others but helping ourselves too.

Thanks for another thought provoking post Lisa :)
    Ashutosh recently posted…What To Do After Class 12!My Profile

You are welcome Ashutosh, glad you really liked this post. We do go through phases or times where we just don’t have the extra time (myself included). I think we learn too when we help others out. It’s amazing how that works but it really does. Maybe we forgot some things and then when we go to help someone it all comes back. Have a great weekend and thanks for taking time to come by and leave a comment Ashutosh.
      Lisa recently posted…The Benefits of Searching For Jobs In LinkedInMy Profile

• Priyathakur says:

• Lisa says:

Hello

thank you for sharing that. Yes comments are better. Plus its good reading what other’s think of what you wrote.

love the cat picture too.

Kind regards

Lisa :razz:

• Nancy Jean

OK, just throw the cuffs on me and haul me away. I’m TOTALLY guilty of all of the above, but I try to mix it up. Great post, as always! ;) :wink:

• I am super guilty with this laziness. I used to have automated messages but I stopped it right away after realizing it is not doing good for me.
    Jeremy Norton recently posted…Help with Setting up a BusinessMy Profile

• Gregory J. Urbano says:

There just seem to be too many venues for commenting and liking and rting!