Twitter Edits Will Make You Happy This Year Tweeting

Twitter Edits May Be Coming This Year

twitter-edits-coming-3

Twitter edits have been talked about for a long time. As a result this piece on Twitter Edits was started on December 1st but it was never completed. You know a little vacation and then the holidays somehow got in the way of writing.

Many folks using Twitter have been wanting Twitter edits for years now. You’ve experienced it: typing too fast on your mobile to respond to a tweet and then you see the nasty typo. Now what? You can send another tweet with a correction or update or choose to ignore it. Finally, this may change soon!

Then I saw this tweet last week and most of all I got really excited! Did you see this tweet by the CEO of Twitter Jack Dorsey? He asked US on Twitter what WE, the users, would like to see improved for Twitter in 2017.

What Will You Do With Twitter Edits?

First of all, Twitter edits should be quick and easy. Twitter is the fastest pace social network. Therefore having the ability to quickly change a tweet within a quick time period (seconds) would be key for many users.

How Twitter Edits Can Be Complicated

First of all it seemed Twitter edits would be a perfect change for Twitter. But then you read more on the topic and realize, it’s not so easy. It could change how Twitter is used. They would have to be some hard rules on what constitues an edit, how to edit and when an edit could be done.

Tweets As Public Records

So you’ve heard it all before right? It could be complicated! Yes, even with Twitter edits. Twitter is of a public record. According to the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, most states’ public records law likely includes social media. Therefore, this means that all Tweets, including those mistaken or offensive ones, are subject to the same laws governing the government’s and public officials’ email or physical records. This means tweets can be used in court cases, etc. So if Tweets are edited, what will it do to that public record? In addition even Jack the CEO refers to it in another tweet on the matter.

Therefore have you ever wonder what your first tweet was? You can check it out by reading this quick Twitter post.  Want to see your full archived tweets? Check this out to get yours today. Most of all it is a great way to see what you tweeted about years ago if you have been on the Twitter network for some time. A great way to use tweets in court cases too if necessary.

Embedded Tweets

Many news organizations use embedded tweets on their digital websites and in print. If one was to edit a tweet would that update the embedded tweet? That seems like it would become a technical nightmare for many news organizations and websites.

Twitter Edit Time Stamps

Since everything on Twitter is mostly in chronically order (depending on your Twitter feed set up) would the new Twitter edit get a new time stamp?  That would have to be a must in my Twitter play book. Furthermore what about notifications? Would your followers be notified when you made an edit? Another technical hurdle to overcome for Twitter with a new edit feature.

Retweets

In addition to the above, what about retweets? A Twitter user makes a great point on this tweet below on retweets: Retweets are considered just like tweets. Because of this retweets should include the edits somehow.

So even all retweets are of public record. As a result any Twitter edits have to be carefully considered. Another reason maybe Jack’s job is a lot harder than any of us may have imagined. It will be interesting to see how this edit feature unfolds in 2017.

Facebook’s Edit Optionfacebook edits

Yet Facebook allows editing – you may be wondering why. Their way around editing is this: “any post that has undergone delayed modification will brandish a small type that says “Edited,” and when that is clicked on, it reveals the editing history of the post in question.” via Digitaltrends. You can also view your Facebook archive similar to Twitter’s here. Seems like Twitter should try to follow in Facebook’s footsteps in this one. If you have been a reader here at Inspire to Thrive for a while you know I don’t want Twitter to be like Facebook but they could use a few of their tried and true tactics.

Because of the complications do you think Twitter should allow Twitter Edits?

How will you be using Twitter edits if they do become available this year? I’d love know more in the comments below!

Don’t forget to sign up for your updates from Inspire To Thrive today!

You can see the results of my quick Twitter poll on Twitter edits below:

24 Responses to Twitter Edits Will Make You Happy This Year Tweeting

• Cori Ramos

I agree with Donna, Lisa, you always teach me something new about Twitter. If it weren’t for your blog posts, I wouldn’t know what the heck is going on with them. 🙂

I for one am happy about this change. I’ve goofed up a couple times myself and tweeted something with a misspelled word. 🙂

Thanks for always sharing the 411 about Twitter! Hope you’re having a great day. Have a great weekend.

Cori
    Cori Ramos recently posted…Five Tools Every Beginner Blogger NeedsMy Profile

You always teach me something new when it comes to Twitter. Anything we do online becomes public as soon as we hit that send button.

This is going to be so interesting to see how it works out.

Thanks again!

Donna Merrill recently posted…You Are What You Tweet | With Germany KentMy Profile

• Hey Lisa,
    Happy New Year!

Thanks for the interesting Twitter news – as always!
    I think we’ve all made typos in our haste to respond on Twitter. My initial reaction was that this would be a good move. I’ve taken advantage of the Edit facility on Facebook, and I think it would be useful on Twitter too. But I see there might be difficulties.

Please keep us posted, Lisa.

Cheers
    – David
    David Hartshorne recently posted…3 Ways To Comply With Google’s Mobile Friendly Content UpdateMy Profile

• Amar kumar

Glad to read your interesting post and I totally agree with your points. If a tweet is widely shared but then edited significantly, this could complicate the experience for those who share it, which from a user experience and product standpoint, could become problematic for both new and engaged users.

Sharing other people’s content and tagging them is a sure-fire way to get on their radar.This is an important step in cultivating mutually beneficial relationships. Eventually, thanks for sharing your best facts regarding this topic.

With best wishes,

Amar kumar
    Amar kumar recently posted…13 Ways to Easily Update Your Website Content for 2017My Profile

• Mi Muba

It will surely give a great help to its users who work on mini devices and commit mistakes while typing to correct it after sending their tweet.

But the tweets that get viral can’t be edited in one go and it seems almost impossible to incorporate the edit to all the reshared tweets.

Many thanks for sharing this very informative post.
    Mi Muba recently posted…9 accurate ways to monitor your email campaign like a bossMy Profile

• Martin Lindeskog

Lisa: Instead of editing a tweet, how about deleting a tweet and write a new one?

All the Best,

Martin
    Martin Lindeskog recently posted…I Have a MessageMy Profile

• Hi Lisa, I think once the tweet has been liked, retweeted or embedded it should not be editable. There is too much potential for changing the entire meaning of the tweet with an edit.

Tweeters can always delete their tweet and post a new tweet if they have an embarrassing typo or change their minds.
    Carolyn Nicander Mohr recently posted…3 Easy Ways to Unsubscribe from Email ListsMy Profile

• Adrian Jock

Happy New Year!

I disagree with your “Retweets are considered just like tweets. Because of this retweets should include the edits somehow.”

When you retweet one of my tweets using the retweet button, you don’t create a new tweet but the system copies and pastes my tweet on your timeline. That retweet shows MY text and it shows ME as the author of the tweet. Nothing belongs to you. It’s like quoting me.

Therefore there is no point in you having the right to edit the words attributed to me. If you modify a quote, that’s not a quote anymore 😉

And if you’re not convinced by the theoretical part, here’s the practical part: a VIP tweets “I love X” then you retweet that tweet but edit the text like this: “I hate X” (or other inappropriate words or pics) The first consequence: your retweet shown to your followers is a fake that claims that the VIP tweeted something contrary to what the VIP tweeted. The next consequences: you can discover them by yourself.

Of course you won’t make such modifications. But others will do it for sure. And it cannot be allowed coz it may create huge troubles.

As for me having the right to edit my tweet that has been already retweeted, sure, why not? Even if I make a big change to my tweet, I’m still responsible for what I tweeted. And it’s my right to change my opinion. Sure the person who retweeted that tweet may not like my change, but it has the power to cancel the retweet and to never ever retweet me again.
    Adrian Jock recently posted…3 Little Known Blogging Issues Affecting Email DeliverabilityMy Profile

Hi Adrian, Nice to see you back here. I understand your point about it being different and it belongs to the person who did the original tweet. But wouldn’t it be better if after you edit it the rest of the retweets reflect it? Just a thought. I sure got a lot more complicated after I did the research on what edits could do to Twitter and the public records. No wonder they have not done it yet. But I think they will come up with something on it this year Adrian according to the CEO. It will be interesting. Thanks for your comment and explanation Adrian. Always a pleasure, have a great day!
      Lisa recently posted…Twitter Edits Will Make You Happy This Year TweetingMy Profile

• Adrian Jock

“But wouldn’t it be better if after you edit it the rest of the retweets reflect it?”

Here’s my view that was indirectly included in my previous comment:

Any retweet is the exact copy of the original tweet. Otherwise isn’t a retweet. Therefore if the original is edited, then all retweets will show the latest version of the original tweet – the one that I edited.

That’s why I said, “the person who retweeted that tweet may not like my change, but it has the power to cancel the retweet and to never ever retweet me again”

It referred to the fact that I tweet something, someone retweets it, then I edit the original tweet and the person who retweeted may not like my change that is now reposted on her or his timeline. This is the only disadvantage I can see for the moment.

For me it’s not a disadvantage though. Usually I don’t retweet using Twitter’s button 🙂

• Bren Pace

Hey Lisa! Happy Monday!

This is definitely an interesting topic. Should edits be allowed? 😕 On one hand, I say yes, however, when it comes to RT’s, I wouldn’t want my original content altered. I think this could be a pretty hairy one for Twitter, especially from a legal standpoint. Will definitely be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

B
    Bren Pace recently posted…Helping Startups and Small Businesses is My RewardMy Profile

Hi Brenda, thanks. Our first full week of 2017. I would agree. At first I thought great, edits are coming. But after doing research it doesn’t sound easy or as feasible yet Facebook has a way with it and public records. It will be very interesting to see how this develops. Thanks for coming by.