How To Avoid Getting The Mute on Twitter Now
How Not To Get The Mute On Twitter
Will you get the new updated mute on Twitter? Will your keywords or phrases be eliminated by your followers?
Twitter rolled out the mute button feature over 2 years ago. That meant your Twitter followers could turn your tweets off to mute. I’m not sure if many peeps have used this mute feature in the past 2 years. I know I used it a few times myself instead of unfollowing someone.
How Will The Expanded Mute Feature Work On Twitter Now?
Like most new features on Twitter this expanded mute feature will roll out to various users at various times in the coming weeks. People will be able to mute your tweets so they don’t show up in their stream. You will not know if you’ve been muted. If someone unfollowed you there are ways you can check to see who unfollows you. But not knowing if you are muted by a user is not a really a good thing in my book.
You will now be able to mute not just followers but tweets with words you don’t want to see in your Twitter stream. Yes, you can choose keywords that you do not want to see! You will now be able to mute keywords, phrases, and even entire conversations you don’t want to see… Click To Tweet
Twitter has done this to try to eliminate some of the online abuse that goes on their social network. This came about after the United States presidential election brought out some of the worst in people. People were becoming abusive to one another on social media. Twitter found a way to eliminate it for those that it bothered. They did not want them to leave their social network. Smart!
How to Mute on Twitter via N0tifications
Just go to your Twitter settings – You will find muted words under muted accounts near the bottom of the list. Click on Muted Words and enter. It’s as simple as that! You can also unmute the words at anytime as well.
You can still mute users by clicking on the more button of any tweet. You can easily uncheck it at any time. You may also mute a user from a Tweet on your iOS or Android device or on Twitter for web tap more and then mute @username. To mute someone from their profile page, tap the gear icon on that page and choose mute @username.
They (the muted users) will still be able to retweet you and favorite your tweets. They will also be able to reply to any of your tweets. This gives the users more flexibility on the network today.
9 Ways to Avoid Getting the Mute on Twitter
- Don’t Over Tweet – Know your limit for the number of tweets you churn out vs. how many followers you have. If you share too often you will see followers drop. You can see the unfollows via JustUnfollow or Commun.it to name a few programs out there. (There are so many programs that can do this!)
- Be Sure to Tweet! This is the oppositve of over tweeting. If someone checks your profile out and you haven’t tweeted in a year or for a length of time they may mute or unfollow you.
- Tweet in Your Niche – Don’t tweet out just anything to fill in the Twitter stream. Be more careful what you share. Do share personal stories at times. People do like to know more about you when they follow you.
- Keep Your Tweets Simple – Don’t use all 140 characters each time you tweet. Keeping your tweets short makes it easier for followers to read your tweets. It makes your tweets easier to share too.
- Make Sure Your Profile is Up to Date – Your Twitter profile and your favorite tweet should be current. If you profile information is old you may get the mute on Twitter or be unfollowed. Make sure you have a photo and not an egghead. Many users will not follow eggheads today.
- Let Users Know When You Will Do Twitter Chats – Your followers may want to mute you just during the Twitter chats. (That would be the one of the times I would consider muting a user).
- Watch Your Language – Be careful about using foul language on Twitter. People will now be able to mute those words out of their streams. Many people may be offended by foul language. They now have a tool they can use to mute this type of foul language from their Twitter stream. IF only we could do that one on Facebook too.
- Don’t Be Too Salesy! If you are always trying to sell something on Twitter users will surely mute you like I did the one here in the example.
- Interact! – This one is key. Don’t just tweet your own stuff and never interact with others on Twitter. Twitter is all about engaging with others. If you don’t want to engage you should be advertising instead, right? Learn from Twitter greats like Kim Garst, Sam Hurley, or Neal Schaffer.
@Lisapatb Lisa, thanks for RT’ing! How are things in your world today?
— Kim Garst ツ (@kimgarst) May 12, 2014
— Sam Hurley ??? (@Sam___Hurley) November 17, 2016
— Neal Schaffer (@NealSchaffer) November 12, 2016
How do you feel about the expanded mute on Twitter coming soon to your Twitter features?
Will you be using it?
I’d love to know more on your thoughts on this in the comments.
Walrus Image courtesy of Hal Brindley / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
She has 20+ years experience in marketing/advertising with 5+ years experience blogging, social media & SEO. Get her new eBook "Tweeting Like It's 2nd Nature" Today!
Latest posts by Lisa (see all)
- 9 Ways President Trump Will Teach You To Tweet Smarter - February 12, 2017
- See How ADZbuzz Ublock Will Be Valuable To Bloggers Today - January 26, 2017
- Twitter Edits Will Make You Happy This Year Tweeting - January 9, 2017