How to get backlinks to your website can be mysterious to many website owners and bloggers. You really don’t have full control over them. There are some things you can do to help generate them, but in the end, you can’t be sure if someone will link back to your content.
Therefore, the only thing you can control is the links you generate from your blog or website to another. These types of links are called outbound links. You can choose which content to link to but not from. However, you may also control your internal link structure.
Now, you may write the best quality content but you will still need backlinks to get higher up in the results from the search engines.
Therefore, I’m going to share some tips to help you generate links from other websites or blogs to your own.There are some things you can do to help generate some but in the end, you can't be sure if someone will link to your content. #SEO Click To Tweet
What Are Backlinks?
Backlinks are links that come into your website or blog from another. Another site is giving your site reference to their readers from your website or blog.
- Incoming links from another website.
- Websites that link to you with follow or no follow attributes.
- Also called inbound links – in case you hear that terminology and are not sure – it is one in the same word.
- Links from another website that can point to any page of your website from any page of their website.
- Backlinks should not be bought – even back in 2005 Matt Cutts spoke about buying them and that they do you no good.
How Can You Generate Backlinks to Your Website or Blog?
- Participation in Communities – If you visit other blogs, forums, etc., and participate and they have an interest in yours they will link back to your website.
- Blog Commenting – Some blogs will offer backlinks, those with Thrive Comments (here on Inspire To Thrive) or CommentLuv do provide backlinks when you leave a comment.
- Teach – If you can teach something in a post that is valuable – others will link to your post and share it with their friends and colleagues.
- Give away your own product – a product or service like an eBook, or a new plug-in or app.
- Videos – Making your own video that provides valuable content or unique content. Some people prefer watching videos to reading posts.
- Debate – Have a debate on your post – sometimes writing a bad review or debate about it can generate a lot of back and forth to your post.
- Social Media – Sharing your content via social media is another way to generate links to your site. Creative headlines can help expedite this tactic.
- Newsletters – If viewers have your newsletter in their email that links to your site they may link to your website for that information.
- Guest Posting – When you write for other blogs you generate a backlink back to your own site.
Find Other Broken Links on Other Relevant Websites
Many SEO experts recommend that if you can other broken lines on relevant websites you can contact the owner to replace them with your webpage that is relevant.
Where do you find other broken links?
By using tools like SEMRush or Ahrefs for broken links you can find others backlinks and learn which are broken. (These tools do cost some money.) But you can try out Ubersuggest for FREE for 7 days as well.
Many website owners do not want broken links as they can hurt their SEO efforts. They will gladly replace a broken link with another that makes sense for their readers.
However, this process can take some time – especially to find out who the correct person is to email and ask for them to replace that link with yours.
They will gladly replace a broken link with another that makes sense for their readers. #SEOtips Click To Tweet
Why Are Backlinks So Important?
- Backlinks are one of the top ways to be found on Google.
- They are the building blocks of SEO.
- Spiders crawl the web via links – the more links to your site the more authority your site has and will show up first in search.
- These types of links give your website domain authority. This score can be used by advertisers of ads and sponsored posts on your website.
How Many Backlinks Does Your Site Have?
Do you know how you can check your backlinks? By using the Google search console you can see how many links are going to your website.
Go to Links and then see your external links that are links to your site. Of course, you may also use Bing webmaster tools as well.
What Other Tools Can You Use?
There are many other tools you can use to further view backlinks and see backlinks that your competitors have. For example, Ubbersuggest, Ahrefs, DeadLinkChecker, SEMrush are among many of them you can use to check out backlinks of others websites.
You will notice changes from time to time as some link more or some link away from your site. It’s a great way to know who links to you. Now, there is a newer feature that shows you your latest links as well.
To have your backlinks ranked faster by the search engines, check out this article from my blogger friend Moss Clement —-> Index Backlinks Quicker.There are many other tools you can use to further view backlinks and see backlinks that your competitors have. #SEOTips Click To Tweet
Fixing Your Internal and External Broken Links
I love using a plugin to find my own internal links, do you use one as well? The broken link checker is a plugin. It is easy to use and helps you keep your broken links down to zero.
You can either unlink the link or replace it with another in a matter of seconds.
Your Tips For Us
What other ways do you get backlinks to your website or blog? I’d love to know your tips on generating backlinks in the comments below.
(This blog post has been updated as it originally appeared back in 2012!)
- BuyEssayFriend.com: The Best Option to Buy Essays Now - January 22, 2022
- Best Business Investments for a Brighter Future - January 21, 2022
- Small Business Ideas From Home To Inspire You To Thrive - January 19, 2022