Can Tweeting Make You Happy When You Are Feeling Down?

tweeting happy

Can Tweeting Make You Happy As You Tweet?

The other night I had a little meltdown. You know I’ve had a lot going on offline. Once I picked myself up I began to tweet. Tweeting made me feel better. I got to wonder, can tweeting make you happy?  I started to feel happy once connecting with friends via Twitter. Is it any different than connecting with other friends via the telephone, text or via email? What was it about tweeting? 76,000 tweets later you’d think I would know. What I do know is that Twitter can distract you from feeling sad or lonely. Many times I’ve eaten lunch alone but I don’t feel alone as I’m tweeting away with friends near and far.

5 Ways Twitter Can Make You Happy

1. Connecting With Others. People are happier when they have strong social bonds. This doesn’t mean just tweeting with others. Being with people tops all social connections. Tweeting does give you connections to others when your offline friends / family are not around.
      2. Helping Others. Many times you can help others on Twitter. You may find friends asking questions or others seeking help on topics that you can help them with. It feels good to help others when you can. Be careful not to overextend yourself with this one!
      3. Making New Friends. Friendships are the bonds in life that can make us happy. Be sure to pick happy friends and not ones that will drag you down. Check out someone’s tweets before you begin to follow them. If they are always being negative be weary!
      4. Losing Track of Time. – Happy people don’t know what time it is most of the time. They are so busy doing things and enjoying life that they don’t keep track of time. I find myself lost in time while on Twitter.
      5. Having a Good Laugh. Happier people laugh more. Why not follow some funny people on Twitter ? You will surely laugh and smile when you read their tweets.

Twitter Can Tell When We Are Happy

Twitter can tell via their tweets data the days we are the happiest or not on Twitter. You can check out the stats on Mashable’s latest story on it.  It’s surprising to see that Friday and Saturdays in March people are the happiest. You would think summer days would be the happiest for most people. The saddest days seemed to be more frequent in December. Not only is it getting colder and darker but those stressful holidays are upon us as well.

Zappos CEO Found Twitter Can Make You a Better and Happier Person

Back in 2009 the CEO of Zappos, Tony H, did a blog post on how Twitter made him a better and happier person. He actually thanked Twitter for helping him grow as a person in his post. Tony claims:

A lot of people use Twitter to complain or vent, but I generally try to avoid doing so because it’s not in line with our core values. What I’ve noticed is that it’s also caused me to complain a lot less in real life, and because of that, I’ve found that my own personal happiness level has gone up.”

TWEET THIS: A lot of people use Twitter to complain or vent, but I generally try to avoid doing so and I’ve noticed in real life I complain a lot less via @Lisapatb

But Does Using Facebook Make Us Sad?

Facebook
With over a billion people on Facebook it is changing the way we all interact with one another. Over 1/2 of the billion people log in every day to Facebook. Research was done by Plos One with 82 people in the Michigan area. Participants were given $20 and a chance to win an iPad. They need to have a Facebook account and a smartphone with a touch screen to participate. They had to answer a questionnaire and then were text messaged 5 times per day for 14 days. They had to answer 5 questions like how they felt right now, etc. The more they used Facebook the worse they felt.

Last they were returned to a lab for questioning. 3 participants did not complete the entire study. The participants were also asked how they felt after interacting with people directly vs. on Facebook. It was found that people who had direct interaction with others over time felt better. These analyses also indicated that Facebook use predicts declines in the two components of subjective well-being: how people feel moment to moment and how satisfied they are with their lives. A number of other studies indicate that whether interacting with the internet predicts changes in well-being depends on how you use it (i.e., what sites you visit) and who you interact with.

So What Is The Difference Between the 2 Social Networks?

Could it be people log into Facebook when they feel bad? Is it the jealousy factor? Everyone seems to be having the time of their lives on Facebook. Everyone looks thinner, happier and having a good time. It can make your life look downright boring. Twitter on the other hand is a quicker paced social network. You can choose more people to interact with, you don’t need to be friends with them. You can make new friends with similar likes and interests. You can seek out happier people to interact with. On Facebook it’s your family and friends you know, you must be friended first or if you wish you could follow some people. You will then see their posts in your newsfeed. Some will allow you to comments and others will not. I think the difference is that Facebook is more passive. What are your thoughts on the differences between Twitter and Facebook on your happiness?

How does tweeting make you feel? Can tweeting make you happy too?

Does Facebook ever make you sad?

Lady Image courtesy of Gualberto107 / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

65 Responses to Can Tweeting Make You Happy When You Are Feeling Down?

• Brijesh Gohil

Hey Lisa great post, I have heard from many doctors that, Sleeping is the best medicine to any disease. Well If I talk about myself than I take a short nap whenever I feel down :) No doubt talking with friends or to any one who is close to you will make you happy too.
    Brijesh Gohil recently posted…Best Laptops between 500 to 1000 dollarsMy Profile

• Sheshnath says:

First I would like to thank you for this post.

I had never given a thought about, whether Facebook or twitter which makes me feel good? But frankly speaking I don’t use twitter a lot, I use Facebook most of the time.

Whenever I feel sad or alone I log into facebook and talk to my internet fans, whom I have never met and it make me feel good.

So it is not true in my case 😀 .

Hi Sheshnath, welcome to Inspire to Thrive. You are welcome. You should try to use Twitter more and see what happens :) Is Facebook mostly for your family and friends you’ve known a long time? On Twitter I’ve made many new friends, that’s why I find it different. Thanks for your input and have a great day!
      Lisa recently posted…Do You Know Your Social Media Etiquette Today? My Profile

• Hey Lisa, I found two things helping me, Practically. First one is that ‘Helping Others’. When I feel low then I start talking to the newbie bloggers in my contact, clearing their doubts so that they can learn new things in blogging and my experience can help them.
    Second thing is that I try to forget about the bad thing just happened and simply try to stay as busy as I can. Once we get free time then we start thinking and that’s what we need to stay away. I start writing as while doing that I’m completely busy with the work rather than any current problem. 😳
    Pawan Kumar Kukarwal recently posted…Get Grindr for PC Download (Free) – App for Windows (8/7/XP) & MacMy Profile

Pawan, me too! I love helping new people out on Twitter with Twitter or their blogs. I remember how it was when I started out and there was so much to learn. Staying busy is really good too. I love digging into work and not dwelling on things that were bothering me. Later I realize many of these were not “big” deals….Thanks for 2 great additions to this one Pawan on ways to be happier when down. Have a great rest of your day.
      Lisa recently posted…IFTTT Will Help You Achieve These 5 GoalsMy Profile

• Sudipto

Nice post and Yes, Social media sites really helps in overcoming bad feeling and made us feel better. Connecting with others, communication with them really helps in improving mood and also make relations good with other. I really enjoyed this post while reading.
    Sudipto recently posted…Flappy Bird FOR PC / Computer / WINDOWS 7/8, MAC AndroidMy Profile

Thank you Sudipto. I really believe it is the connecting part that makes us happy. Whether its in person, on phone or online it’s still making a connection with others. I just found that Twitter was great for it and for keeping it more positive that Facebook can be. Thanks for your input and have a great rest of the weekend.
      Lisa recently posted…IFTTT Will Help You Achieve These 5 GoalsMy Profile

• Mary Stephenson

Never thought much about whether one was a happy place or not. But you are right it is so much easier to connect with Twitter and now that I just learned how to make it really work it seems more interesting. Facebook was easy enough to post on. I find that too many people are foolishly posting stuff that never should be shared on such a platform. One just has to say “can’t say anything because people that I know can read this”. How dumb can you be, just saying something like that sets you up for questionable behavior. Especially if you are looking for employment. If anyone wants a job and has any social media account they need to be careful what they say and who they are friends with. Some people’s profile pictures are not very good and makes others wonder what kind of circle you hang out with. Better to delete as much as possible and have access for friends only, which I see many smart ones have done so.

Thanks for the stats on this subject.

Mary

Hi Mary, yes, I find it more interesting too on Twitter. So many different topics and things to follow and people to meet along the way. I always wondered why some did post crazy stuff on FB – I think the younger generation doesn’t realize the effect it could have on future jobs for them. You are welcome on the stats – I find them fascinating myself. Thank you for coming by Mary and have a wonderful weekend ahead.
      Lisa recently posted…IFTTT Will Help You Achieve These 5 GoalsMy Profile

• Shivkumar

Finding happiness at everywhere is human tendency. 😉

It doesn’t matter how one become happy when he/she is feeling low.
    When I feel low I used to here musics specially on radio which make me feel that I am talking to my friend. Similarly messaging, twitting and calling friends makes that time fabulous.
    Shivkumar recently posted…Managing all email ID is now easier using myMail Android ApplicationMy Profile

Hi Shivkumar, not everyone seeks happiness, some seem to like being miserable at times, no? That’s what I see a lot over on Facebook. Music is a great way to feel better and communicating with friends in any of the communication forms does help. Life without friends would not be so sweet. Thanks for coming by and welcome to Inspire to Thrive.
      Lisa recently posted…IFTTT Will Help You Achieve These 5 GoalsMy Profile

• Shivkumar

Hello Lisa Mam,

First of all thanks for welcoming me on Inspire To Thrive, I am glad to follow this blog. 😎

Yes, you are right! People like to show their feeling on facebook but I personally feel that instead of showing our feeling on facebook where hardly anyone cares about it, 😥 we should talk to our close friend or our parents. At least they we take priceless efforts to look after us. Am I right?

And I agree with your point >> ‘Life without friends would not be so sweet.’ Awesome :smile: :smile:

• Cole Wiebe says:

For me, tweeting has always been about business. The 140 character limit is so restrictive, on Twitter, I’ve never been able to express myself well enough to feel any sense of connection. Maybe it’s my age, because I don’t enjoy messaging on a phone either. :-)

Commenting on blogs, however, does allow me to feel like I’m part of a conversation, particularly after a long day of writing client content or web development.

– Cole

Hi Cole, have you ever tried to get a little personal and engage with others on Twitter? I love text messaging as well. Saves me time with some long winded family/friends and love the instantness of it. (and I bet I’m older than you…) Commenting is great Cole – it’s probably the highest form of engagement we can have online. It does help us to get to know our readers better and connect with them. Many times it helps me to create new posts for them too. Thanks for coming by Cole and for your input on this topic. Have a wonderful Wednesday!
      Lisa recently posted…Can Tweeting Make You Happy When You Are Feeling Down? My Profile

• amiti

I won’t go into too much depth, as not everything has to be expanded upon. Interacting on Twitter (and other social sites) can be a blast and helps me disconnect from other things for a bit of time.
    amiti recently posted…Feedweb Reviews from the NetMy Profile

• Geri Richmond

Tweeting is fun and it does make me happy. The problem is ya know, time.

Sometimes I wish I could just do blog commenting, forum marketing and Twitter all day. :mrgreen: I realize that right now, that’s a dream. :roll: Those are some phenomenal numbers.

Thanks for a great post.
    P.S. You, Adrienne, Donna, Sylviane, Harleena are all in my private blogging circle. 😆
    Have a great day!
    Geri
    Geri Richmond recently posted…Basic List Building ChecklistMy Profile

Very late in the game here, but it’s because I’ve had my own meltdown as well, so I totally understand. I really see you as a Twitter expert, and it seems that you really know what you’re doing, and get great results form it.

I hope everything gets better for you, and have a wonderful week ahead.
    Sylviane Nuccio recently posted…Blogging Magic – Did You Catch The Blogging Fever Yet?My Profile

• Okay, I must be officially weird. I don’t get happier from Twitter, I get happier from Facebook! I recently had acute bronchitis and posted that information to Facebook. I was 100% cheered up by all of the well wishes. Yesterday was my birthday and I got so many wonderful birthday wishes from around the world!

I generally use Twitter for news and Facebook for friends. The news rarely makes me happy.
    Carolyn Nicander Mohr recently posted…SumAll — Your Social Media Report Card!My Profile

• Lisa, I haven’t sincerely given thought to your premise, looking back though I seem to be happier on twitter as I am most active there.

And since most times my connection on twitter is basically with the movers and shakers of society, whenever one of them follows me my state of happiness increases compared to that of facebook.

You know connecting with people like Jon, Brian Dean and being able to develop sincere conversation makes me feel so happy. So based on your premise, I sincerely believe twitter makes me more happy than facebook.

On a foot note thanks for sharing this topic
    Peter Kanayo recently posted…51 Awesome Benefit Of Blogging To You and Your BusinessMy Profile

Hi Peter, excellent point too! We can connect with anyone on Twitter by sending a tweet or RT and even a DM now if you so desired. (Same for Google+ too I may add). But Facebook you can only follow them and some do NOT let you engage or share their posts. (all depends on their settings). You are welcome. I thought it would be an interesting topic and to see how other felts too about the social networks. Have a wonderful day Peter.

• Ashley says:

I love Twitter’s ability to pass on information quickly and directly interact with people around the world. I have made so many great connections as a result of Twitter.
    Facebook, is great for friends, but it is really not somewhere I find I get direct interaction and mostly it is about how amazing people are (no reality in there for most people). So I am kinda getting sick of it.
    Twitter makes me happy!
    ashley

Hi Ashley, YES! I so agree. I’ve met so many wonderful folks on Twitter and then met some of them in real life too. Others like yourself from other countries. It’s great to get know other like minded people along the way via Twitter. On Facebook you usually already know them unless of course you met them on Twitter and then move on to Facebook. Thanks for coming by Ashley and I hope things are well your way and that you have a great rest of your week there.

• Yes Of course Lisa. Tweeting always make me happy. It’s best, when compare to FB.

In FB, lot of ads, images, videos etc… There we have to worry about, if the posted image didn’t get any comments or like or shares. In twitter, not like that, we can easily get more friends to chat. We can share anything from your mind.

I like tweeting more than posting in FB. Have a nice day.
    Nirmal Anandh recently posted…Jagadguru Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati Swamigal – Mahaangalum AdhisayangalumMy Profile

Hi Nirmal, I think too we have to worry about what our families see especially if they disagree with you on things, etc and comment. It can cause friction. Twitter moves fast and most of our families or immediate circles may not be on there as regularly as we are. We can tweet with more like minded people and follow the positive ones. I so agree. Thanks for coming by and welcome to Inspire to Thrive. Hope to see you back here again.

• Emmanuel

Hello Madam Lisa,

There is no doubt that Tweeting can make you happier. I was using twitter just for promoting my posts but I have realiesed there is more to it than just promoting.

It is just great to connecting more with people on twitter.
    Emmanuel recently posted…Those Sins of BloggingMy Profile

Hi Emmanuel, it amazes me that many start out that way on Twitter – just promoting their stuff. They don’t realize how much they are missing out in unless they start engaging with other like minded indviduals. I’ve met so many wonderful people there and then met them in real life too. I hope Twitter doesn’t change much like Facebook has since it began. Thanks for your input and for coming by. Have a great rest of the week.

• That is certainly interesting 😀

Twitter and happiness makes kind of sense (they even have a built in happiness filter within their advanced search – it filters tweets based on the emoticons used..or something along those lines). Okay, maybe that doesn’t have a direct connection, but to me, twitter seems like the joyful and playful child 😀

I am not sure how I view FB…I use it to keep myself updated on news…that’s the only thing I use FB for, at least now.

But, it’s certainly interesting that people are unhappier (perhaps because they are obsessed with likes? Same thing could be applicable for Twitter, with RTs, but I think RTs aren’t as popular as likes, especially among the general populace).

Anyways, thank you for sharing this, Lisa :) Appreciate it!
    Jeevan Jacob John recently posted…Want to be more Creative? Just be bored!My Profile

Hi Jeevan, yes, very cool on their happiness filter. I think it’s more of who you associate with the on the networks too Jeevan. I hadn’t thought about the like factor, not sure if that is a factor as much anymore as getting comments, etc. (engagement). I do see more arguments happening on Facebook vs. Twitter. Very few that I am following on Twitter air out their dirty laundry but Facebook – that is another story. Thanks for your input Jeevan and have a great week ahead there.

• Allie says:

Lisa,

Not in my wildest dreams would I think about going onto Twitter to make me feel better. I guess because I don’t view it as much of a social platform as I do FB. But deep down I know it is. I mean, really, I have chats there, I share pictures of my life and even talk to people here and there. I never feel bad when I go on Twitter, but I do sometimes on FB. All those friends loosing weight and having romantic evenings with their husbands and their perfect kids. I am not the jealous type but there are days I think “I KNOW she is not THAT perfect!” LOL.

So now you helped me think about this Twitter theory of helping me feel better seriously. Next time I need a pick me up, I may head over there.

OH! Pinterest cheers me up every time. Maybe because I follow travel and inspiring people and accounts there. But some of those DIY people drive me crazy! lol. But they don’t bring me down.

~Allie

You bring up a very interesting question in this post. I think your idea that the Facebook platform is more passive, while Twitters’ is faster paced and users must actively interact to even be noticed there. This may cause Twitter users to (as you said) lose track of time and, subsequently, lose focus on themselves and anything bad going on in their lives.

Whereas, a person can browse the streams of their FB friends and those they follow for as long as they wish without engaging. Users still get lots of image stimulation and reading of content, but it’s easier to avoid conversing with others there and still feel as if you’re “participating” in the scene to some extent.

I like what the Zappos CEO said about not complaining about personal (or even professional) troubles on Twitter and how this caused him to then complain less in his “real” life. I tend to agree. While I have a business presence on FB, I use it mostly for personal interactions and casual business engagement with friends. Still, I am very private when it comes to my personal life on social media. If I need to vent, I’ll do it via private message, email, phone, or face to face.

Great thought-provoking post, Lisa!
    Samantha Gluck recently posted…Who Else Wants a Spanking for Imbecilic Word Usage?My Profile

Hi Samantha, excellent point about the “lurkers” on Facebook too. Amazes me sometimes I will be at work and someone mentions something from FB but they never like or comment on any of my stuff. Didn’t know they had even seen it. I so agree, if you need to vent do it privately! It’s not the place to air our dirty laundry. I also find agreements can come about via Facebook and not so with Twitter. I think once I came across on Twitter in the 4+ years I’ve been there. Facebook almost monthly. Glad you enjoyed the post Samantha and have a great week ahead there!

• James Frost says:

I’m that kind of a person who always remain happy and so it doesn’t make any difference to me but still the post as it was something unique to read about. 😎

• Lisa Magoulas

Huh,
    Ya know Lisa, I never really thought about my mood when using any social media platform. All though, I take that back. Because Facebook allows more characters, I sometimes feel I can express myself better to people. I just like the interaction over all. It doesn’t restrict my social circle and I’ve been so happy to meet like minded people all over the world. It’s really very comforting. I see a big difference in my connections. You’re right – Facebook is more family and friends. Twitter seems to be random people, or people I have met through network marketing. It’s pretty cool. :) Have a good night, Lisa
    Lisa Magoulas recently posted…Quinoa Stuffed ArtichokesMy Profile

Hi Lisa, really? I found that Facebook can be tricky with family feuds once a while or friends being a little crazy at times. Just like in life we can’t choose our family but we can choose our friends, we can choose who to connect with on Twitter. With Facebook they must accept your friend request or you could just follow. I’ve also found Google+ to be a learning social network for me – following some great minds and very technical savvy people. It sure is interesting to see how the different social channels have different types of personalities. Thanks for coming by Lisa and for your input on this topic. Have a wonderful day!

• Akaahan Terungwa

Hello Lisa,

Your analysis are quite thorough and I am exceedingly happy Twitter helps you change your mood for the better. Sadly, I am used to a social media in particular, so my answers may be biased.

Personally, I prefer using FB because of the ‘reunions’ it ensures. Most of my friends, sadly, hate Twitter outright. I simply had to create a Twitter account for the business connections and not really for personal use.

Always,
    Terungwa
    Akaahan Terungwa recently posted…LIVING THE INTERNET LIFESTYLE: 3 THINGS YOU SHOULDN’T MISSMy Profile

Hi Akaahan, thanks. You should try to use your business account in a little more personal way, I think you would enjoy it more and make your business better too. People like to see the “real” person behind the business along with their personality. All of my family is on FB and none on Twitter, I haven’t been able to convince them yet. Thanks for your input on this one and have a great day.

• donna merrill

First, thanks for those stats! There is nothing worse than looking at people venting or complaining. BORING!!! You can get a lot of that on Facebook. When I get too much of that from a person, I have to block them.

Now that Twitter has those funny pictures, like above, it can raise spirits. I think Twitter trends right now are growing like wildfire. I just need to get on there more often. 😛

Thanks so much,

donna merrill recently posted…10 WordPress Security Holes You Must Close To Protect Yourself OnlineMy Profile

• Katherine James says:

I have read that one of the ways to boost your happiness is to genuinely thank one person everyday.

It doesn’t matter if it is done via email, face to face, or in a twitter direct message… as long as your thanks is genuine, your mind gets a little bit of a happiness boost from letting that person know.

• Liz McGee says:

Just connecting with friends can make us happy so I like Twitter for that.

But I also like what Tony H of Zappos said about using Twitter or FB to complain or vent. That’s not in line with our core values as he says, but it’s also not what social platforms are all about. If we’re to make friends, influence others and make a difference in the world, complaining and showing our unhappiness isn’t the way to do it.

Twitter can make me a happier person because I have to become a happier person to use it. Give yourself happy thoughts and you become happier, right?

Awesome post Lisa. Thanks!
    Liz

Most of my offline friends don’t use Twitter Lisa, just Facebook so I tend to only use Twitter for blogging.

I much prefer using Twitter to Facebook though, although I do find it hard to keep up!

Facebook used to be where I hung out a lot but over the last couple of years it’s become less of a focus.

I guess I just felt like I was wasting my life away using it so much :-).
    Tim Bonner recently posted…GetResponse Has Reinvigorated My Interest In Email MarketingMy Profile

• Nancy Jean

Another fab post, Lisa! I love your take on things. The timing on this is unbelievable. I just showed my hubby (who is completely opposed to and does not understand the value of social media, even though it’s my job!) something on Facebook. It was a photo on a friend’s page that just got to me. I always try to be grateful for all the blessings in my life, but then you see things that other people post and, well, you can’t help but be envious! Now I know that the grass is not always greener and everyone has things they deal with, but sometimes I think it’s good to take a break from Facebook. I never feel that way about Twitter though. It’s always my first stop in the morning. I catch up on all the accounts I manage, I get my news there, and I browse through to see what’s on people’s minds. And I think Twitter is not so much a place to brag, as Facebook often is, but just to say what you’re thinking, or eating, or reading that might be interesting to others. It’s a place to share, not brag. I believe it’s a more honest platform too. So does it surprise me that Twitter makes you happier? Not at all!!! And it’s easy enough to just not follow someone if they’re a downer, unlike the horror of “unfriending” someone on Facebook. HA! Thanks for this fab post that gets people thinking, as most of yours do! And here’s to NO more meltdowns.
    Nancy Jean recently posted…Communicating with patients; stick with the tried and trueMy Profile

Hi Nancy, thank you for that. I must have read your mind too. The grass always appears greener on the other side but most of the time it is just an illusion. It’s what others let us see only. I feel much more comfortable on Twitter – I do like to read up on things there moreso than any other social network. Great point, it’s about sharing and not bragging! I hope no more meltdowns Nancy but I’m sure at some point there will, it can refresh you too to have one every once in a while. As long as they are not a daily occurance. Thanks for your comment and have a great weekend ahead, it’s almost here and NO SNOW in the forecast for it too!

Okay, that was interesting and I’ve never given that much thought either. Whenever I’m down or dealing with a lot of “stuff”, I usually don’t get online. If I need someone to talk to I’ll call a friend and that always does make me feel better.

Overall though I’m a very happy person so I don’t encounter those things with Facebook and I’ll tell you why. I have an extension installed and I can block anything that’s written about certain topics. I’ve got a whole list of them because 1) it doesn’t interest me at all and 2) I don’t want to hear their complaints. I just shut it all out.

I love chatting with my friends online no matter what platform I’m on but I’m SO glad that Twitter helped you during your difficult time. I know you’ve had your hands full and I’m just so glad it helped you.

Thanks for sharing this though because I’m sure a lot of people will have their own views as well.

Adrienne recently posted…Inside Scoop On A Really Cool New BlogMy Profile

Hi Adrienne, wow, you got it all covered there on Facebook girl! Does that extension slow down your browser at all? I’m always afraid of too many of them for that reason. But I like the reasoning behind your using it. I don’t spend as much time on FB for that reason. If my “real” friends and family were not there I may not be there either. I feel much more at home on Twitter. It will be interesting to see what others have to say too on this Adrienne. Thanks for your comment and have a wonderful weekend ahead. It’s almost here!

Fabulous post Lisa!

Twitter can absolutely make ME happier, especially on my worst days. Even if I’m not tweeting back and forth with someone, I find it therapeutic to just tweet away; as do I on Tumblr now as well. :mrgreen:

Facebook on the other hand, is a mixed box of chocolates. It has it’s funny moments and it’s depressing moments. Thankfully, I’m getting accustomed to who the downers and the smilies are and have put into similar lists. I LOVE using Lists! It helps me categorize people I have one called Animal Lovers, however, a lot of times they should very sad pictures a lot of times. I know the saddness is out there but it tears me up. With that list, I don’t have to view it all the time. I have a List called “Girly” and yes, everything girly is in there as well as provocative stuff that is guaranteed to make me smile.

I would just add Tumblr to your list as well Lisa. As you know, I am using it quite frequently lately. There is soooo much happiness there! Between the beautiful quotes, flowers, scenery, log homes, etc., there is just sooo much happiness I find there! It’s truly been a therapeutic tool for me since I started using it daily. It’s my first turn to when I’m feeling a need a “pick me up” now. 😛

Great post again, Lisa. Social media can be your best friend or your worst nightmare. If you choose carefully and set it up the way you want to use it, I think it can be totally happiness, when your real time world isn’t accessible.
    Bren recently posted…Apparently, I’m Still HauntedMy Profile

Thank you Bren. Oh yes, you are doing that a lot on Tumblr now. And good stuff too! Using those lists are great both on Facebook and Twitter too. Funny about Tumblr, when I first used it, I saw so much porn that I almost shut it all down. If you follow the right people you are correct. I’m loving the quotes on Tumblr. It is a very interesting site. Some people don’t realize it’s a social media network and not just a blog. It is interesting to see how others use it. And what many are missing out on too. Thanks for your input Bren and I hope you have a wonderful Friday and weekend coming up!

• Wow, Lisa. Such a thought-provoking post, especially as I’m fasting from my personal Facebook for Lent.

Does Tweeting make me happy? No, not really. Could it? Maybe, but I’m guessing no, not really, on that one, too.

Does Facebook ever make me sad? No, not really.

I think what the questions are triggering is the deep-seated knowledge that nothing and nobody can make me sad without my permission.

At the same time, I can absolutely acknowledge that if people are into posting negative statuses and links and images on their timeline, and it shows up in my feed, that can be a drag. That’s when I use the “hide” or “don’t show in newsfeed” functions. If that happens on Twitter, I un-follow the culprit.

I will say, I’m enjoying my fast. And while I’ve been on Twitter a tiny bit more, I’m discovering that I’m more likely to do something creative offline, or read a book I’ve been meaning to get to for too many months, get ahead on my schoolwork than siphon what would have been Facebook time into another social network.

I suspect I’ll be thinking on this some more between now and Easter. Who knows what that’ll mean! lol 😉

Hi Ellen, oh really? You gave up Facebook for Lent? Interesting. I like that, no one can make you sad without your permission. I must remember that one. I do the same on Twitter, I would unfollow for sure! I’d love to know how you make out after Easter. Could be a follow up post maybe? Good for you on the schoolwork Ellen, you are inspriring! Thanks for coming by and for your input on this one too. Have a nice weekend ahead.

Those are pretty great stats I must say :)

I had never actually given such a deep thought to which of the two social network really makes me happy, but you gave me enough to think about I must say. Yes, Twitter certainly is better if you are feeling low, provided you the the time in hand to mix and meet new friends, while Facebook let’s you vent out and have fun with the people you know, and sometimes you need that too. I guess to each his/her own.

Honestly speaking, I hardly get the time to visit either of them, except for work or my post promotion, and sometimes it doesn’t even happen as often I’d want to. But yes, when you meet friends, it certainly makes you smile and feel better. After all they are all the friends we online people have, isn’t it?

Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week ahead :)
    Harleena Singh recently posted…Can Prayer For Healing Really WorkMy Profile

Hi Harleena, Thank you. Wow, you don’t really interact there much? I enjoy that part of it the best. Sometimes when feeling down I do stay offline all together but I did find it helps when I stay connected with others to get me through tougher times. I can’t imagine a life without friends Harleena, they sure do make a difference. Thanks for coming by and taking the time to comment. Enjoy the rest of your week!

• Kumar Gauraw

Hello Harleena,

I kind of tend to agree with you as I am pretty much of the same engagement level with both these networks. If a friend or even a prospect wants to discuss something, I take them through email channel as soon as possible because I don’t like to stay on Facebook or chat or share personal things.

Lisa – I do a bit more than just post promotions on Facebook though. I do things, share and interact with people that can help me built and maintain my personal brand image while keeping the engagements going.

So, I really never thought of the aspect where I could feel happier or otherwise on either of these social networks. But definitely it is an interesting topic and I will watch for it hence :-)

Thank you for sharing!

Regards,
      Kumar
      Kumar Gauraw recently posted…Blazing Fast And Secure Website Using MaxCDN And CloudFlare [Updated]My Profile

Hi Kumar, Right but I find that harder on Facebook. You have to be connected with them and you don’t want to have your other friends unfriend you for so many posts in their FB stream, though I do lists there now all the time. I find Twitter to be the happier place, less people complaining and whining about life there. Maybe it’s who we hang with right Kumar? Thanks for your input on this one and love to hear more feedback if you spend more time on Twitter.
        Lisa recently posted…IFTTT Will Help You Achieve These 5 GoalsMy Profile