Why do social realtors protect their wonderful valuable tweets?

Social Realtors – Why Protect Your Tweets?

social realtorsI noticed the other day a realtor tweeting away but then something strange happened when I went to follow them. They had protected tweets. It got me thinking. Why do some people especially those in business protect their tweets?

Social realtors you think would want everyone to see their tweets, right? That’s one of the benefits of being on Twitter, getting to meet new people.

I’ve seen it over the years with small businesses and others on Twitter. Why be there if you are going to protect your tweets? Unless you are new and want to get familiar with it first, I can understand.

What are Protected Tweets vs. Public Tweets?

Protected tweets are only shown to people that you allow to follow you. Public tweets can be seen by anyone even people not on Twitter if they do a search on Google. The default option on Twitter is set to public unless you change it to protected. If you have it set to protected and change it back to public all your protected tweets from the past can be displayed for anyone to see (just something to think about!).

Why Protect Your Tweets?

• You are new to twitter and you just want to learn the ropes.
  • You are an elementary school teacher and you and your students are only allowed to follow each other for classroom activities.
  • You are a criminal.
  • You are being stalked – but in that case you could just block the one person.

Why You Should NOT Protect Your Tweets

• To let other others see your tweets and get your message out there.
  • To market yourself,  your small business, etc.
  • To let others follow you and read your tweets.
  • To grow your Twitter following.
  • To freely engage with others on the Twitter network.

Here is an example of what a protected tweet account looks like:

protected tweets

Some people may forget that the protected their tweets and later realize it when called out on it. They can easily change their settings back to the default public option. Anyone in business like social realtors should really allow others to follow them and engage with them on the Twitter network. That’s really what it’s all about. If you are going to tweet let others see what you are tweeting. It would be like going to a networking event but hiding under the table all night. Why be there, right?

Here is what other peeps think of Protected Tweets

Do you follow people on Twitter that protect their tweets?

Would you for any reason protect your tweets? I’d love to know in the comments!

Top Lock Image courtesy of lekkyjustdoit at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

32 Responses to Why do social realtors protect their wonderful valuable tweets?

• Bill Gassett says:

As a group real estate agents are among the least social savvy people so it is not surprising at all to see someone screwing up their settings. Most see social media as a place to sell and forget it is about building relationships.

Very interesting Bill. I guess that is an excellent point, I’ve noticed many with inactive accounts. They don’t know what they are missing. I appreciate you coming by to comment on this one Bill.

• Tom Southern says:

This is an interesting post because I’ve not come across Protected Tweets. Like @Sherman said above, having them as a kind of Private Twitter Group, like a Private Facebook Group, is a good idea to exchange ideas, etc that are between you and other group members.

Or, it could be an in-house, or in-trade/profession sharing exchange.

Twitter is a great way of networking and getting to know others. I’ve met my mentors through Twitter and its brought most of my readers and students to me.

It’s a social sharing platform. Protected Tweets tend to stray away from this.

– Tom

• Hey Lisa,

Long time no see!

I equate having protected tweets with have private facebook groups. You may only want a targeted group of people to engage with.

But besides that. I think you will be losing out on a lot traffic, social proof, potential subscribers and customers. One thing great about twitter is that it can be used as a search engine as well. If people can’t find you then that defeats the purpose.

Thanks for sharing Lisa! Have a great day!
    Sherman Smith recently posted…Google URL Builder: Quick And Easy Way Of Tracking Your Sites’ PerformanceMy Profile

Hi Sherman, I know huh? Hope all is well your way Sherman. That’s a good analogy to a private Facebook group. I still look at Twitter and Facebook as two totally different animals. They are so different. You must know people on Facebbook first but not on Twitter to interact with them. Though Facebook I believe lets you send messages now to non-friends as well. It wasn’t like that there for years though. Thanks for coming by Sherman and for your input on this one. Have a great weekend ahead.
      Lisa recently posted…Why do social realtors protect their wonderful valuable tweets?My Profile

Great topic! I don’t know why in the world people would do that. Heck, it’s a social site and we are on that platform to be social. To have “protected tweets” doesn’t make any sense.

Actually I haven’t ran across this myself, and it is good to know. Boggles my mind because it just defeats the purpose of being on Twitter.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Mi Muba

Very well explained the concept, pros and cons of protected tweets.

The best of this kind of tweets is one can stay focused while approaching his target audience and can convey his message without any leakage or missing.

Sometimes we get comments of very irrelevant people on our tweets and instead of getting any good impact many other onlookers get distracted by them.

Thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful way of doing social media optimization for more results.
    Mi Muba recently posted…100 bloggers reveal causes of not creating their own productMy Profile

• Brian Hawkins

Hi Lisa, When I get new followers, I look at their profile before deciding to add them back or not. I try anyway, I get behind. :) When I see a protected account, I never ask to follow. It doesn’t make sense for either of us.

I have a 12 year old grandson on Twitter and he has his acct protected. That makes sense because it is just him and a handful of friends that send one another tweets.
    Brian Hawkins recently posted…Stop Crying About Popups, Blogging Isn’t Just For Kids – Silly RabbitMy Profile

• Enstine Muki

Except we are a private group where we want out tweets to be protected, I really don’t see the place for this on Twitter. Private groups can use this feature maybe to discuss group related points.

Does Twitter also allow protected follow? that is, no one follows you until you without your approval 😉
    Enstine Muki recently posted…Hostgator 60% discount code Limited Time Promotion!My Profile

• Nikhil Narkhede says:

Very good topic you have raised. Thanks for enlightening everyone about the public and protected tweets. For any business owner/ business I recommend to keep the tweets public as it helps in marketing their services/products.

But there are people who like to have personal and private life different. So they only want to share the information to their closed ones, such people only should use the protected tweets option. :)

• Don Purdum

I run across this every now and then and wonder why in the world they are choosing to lose out on free networking opportunities?

I used to run across this mentality a few years ago when businesses were deathly afraid that people would steal their “stuff.”

I had bad news, if they want to steal your “stuff” because it’s that good then wish them the best of luck.

Why?

Because they aren’t you and will never be you… and you are what people buy.

Instead of worrying about what everyone else is doing maybe we ought to be focused more on being who we are and the best that we can absolutely be!

Just a thought.

I love the list you provided… there are definitely some people who need to protect their tweets for professional reasons. But not if you’re a business or a business owner; or marketer.

Have an awesome week Lisa!!!

~ Don Purdum
    Don Purdum recently posted…How To Build an Amazing Business Through Networking That Really Works!My Profile

Hi Don, yes, that was my thought exactly on those protected accounts, why? I just read a quote about that from Adrienne about being your best and not worrying what others are doing. “The Only Way to Succeed Is To Not Worry About What Anyone Else Is Doing” – It is so true. And if they steal it – it is like a compliment, right? Thanks for coming by Don and have a great rest of the week.

• Jenifer Soflous says:

Interesting ! Realtors may think to hide their deals from the Competitors or few Sellers / Buyer and their Reviews about them.

Hi Jenifer, welcome to Inspire To Thrive. If they do that they also hide from potential clients. Interesting take though. Thank you for your input on this one. Have a great week ahead Jenifer.

Hm, I had never heard of protecting tweets but like I had the same thought as the examples you shared above why be on Twitter if your tweets are going to be protected then I read the reasons why you would protect your tweets so it makes sense.

I don’t follow anyone who protects their tweets and for me, I wouldn’t protect my tweets either.

Thanks for sharing this Lisa. Hope all is well!

Cori
    Corina Ramos recently posted…A Realistic and Guilt Free Weekly ScheduleMy Profile

• Brenda Pace

Glad to see you talking about this. When I first started on Twitter, years ago, I did use a protected account simply because I didn’t want my employer reading my tweets. Then I created a second for my blog and haven’t turned back since. There are a lot of people who are curious about Twitter but don’t like the fact that just anyone can read your tweets. I know some of these people. These are also those that are on Facebook and never post publicly. They feel a sense of security by these measures. However, they also are promoting a business or a blog and are just “hobbyists”.

I can see both sides of the equation but for a business, I have to agree Protected Tweets are a big No-No.

Thanks for sharing this!
    Brenda Pace recently posted…Landing Your First Client With CautionMy Profile

Hi Brenda, Interesting. I’m always careful what I tweet and retweet, that’s why I can’t always tweet your blog posts – some of them can be a bit racey :) Not that I don’t read them though!
      True about those on Facebook – lurkers they are called there :) I know some too, people I see in person who will mention something about what I posted but never commented on Facebook itself, only in real life, LOL.
      Thanks for your input since you had done this Brenda, not a bad reason really. Enjoy the rest of your week!

I also agree that if you’re a business owner then you shouldn’t be protecting your tweets. I can see for reasons you shared like for teachers who are just using it for school reasons and it’s only those that they are connected with who see them. That makes perfect sense but I would love to hear the logic behind that realtor and why he has his protected. That makes totally no sense at all.

As always, thanks for the Twitter info because I’m sure some people really aren’t sure about this topic.

Great share, thanks Lisa and hope you’re enjoying your week.

Adrienne recently posted…How To Get Your Audience To Buy From YouMy Profile

• Adrian Jock

If you’re a blogger or if you’re running any type of online business, it doesn’t make sense to limit your audience by protecting your accounts. It’s shooting yourself in the foot. But I’m sure that they have a reason. So let me guess it…

Some people mix business with personal things. (That’s wrong if you ask me). And they want to protect their personal stuff. So they protect everything instead of having two separate accounts.

And if you think that my guess is just a guess, without any facts to prove it, let’s talk about Facebook…

Don’t tell me that you haven’t seen bloggers or marketers who share their blog posts or marketing posts with a limited audience, other than “Public.” There’s no difference between these people and the people who protect their tweets. All of them shoot themselves in the foot. When I try to reshare their blog articles, I cannot do it. Or I can reshare the articles only with the two or three mutual friends. So many times I wanted to share an article, but I wasn’t able to do it.

Now if you ask the people who use Facebook like that, they’ll find a reason for their shooting in the foot – such as, “My family isn’t interested in my business posts, so I share those posts only with some of my friends.”

If you ask me, that’s not how you run a business. If you ask them, well, ask them. Some of them are common friends who comment frequently on your blog. Maybe they’ll see my comment. They don’t have to understand that I criticize them. How they run their blog marketing or their business … is none of my business.

My comment is just a friendly piece of advice: that’s not how you run a business! That’s all :)
    Adrian Jock recently posted…Email Marketing Services: The Deliverability MythMy Profile

Hi Adrian, you make some interesting points. I say have two seperate accounts.
      I do on both platforms but use my personal Twitter for everything. I’m more personal on FB as that’s where family and more friends are. But I have a Facebook Page for my blogging business.
      I really treat those two social networks very differently. But that’s just me :)
      Thanks for your input on this one Adrian. I can always count on you for a different perspective! (It’s a good thing…)

• Adrian Jock

Hmm… I’m back. I’m not very sure what is that perspective of mine that is different from yours.

My point: Limiting the audience of your business posts is bad. Period. Irrespective of the network you use.

Is your perspective different? Do you mean that your point is… limiting the audience of your business posts is bad on Twitter and it’s good on Facebook? :mrgreen:
        Adrian Jock recently posted…How to Get Your Twitter Share Count BackMy Profile

Hi Adrian, I think you got it – My point is… limiting the audience of your business posts is bad on Twitter and it’s good on Facebook? I look at the two networks quite differently. I have more real friends and family on FB and not many on Twitter. Many on FB would find my blogging stuff boring. Or my real estate info boring. So I try to seperate them most of the time, not ALL of the time as some posts are made for a broader audience. Thanks for coming back Adrian. Hope that clarifies it.

I always learn something interesting when I visit your blog! Protected tweets – who would have thought and it doesn’t make sense to me. Your reasons to protect tweets kind of says it all. It is a social platform. My thing is why would you want to protect them. Isn’t that defeating the purpose of Twitter. Anyway, just my thoughts. Love your information!

Hope you are well.
    Regards,
    Barbara

Thank you Barbara. Yes, there are only a few reasons why someone would protect their tweets. I don’t see why small businesses like realtors would. Hope to hear from one. Thanks for coming by Barbara. Doing well, hope you are too.