Self Hosting Your Blog
It’s been a few days since I decided to dive into the self-hosted blogging world. I actually did transfer my other infectious disease blog from WordPress.com to self-hosting a few weeks ago and that switch was pretty easy. I went with Selby Media and Val there was wonderful getting me set up.
The switch from blogger to self-hosted WordPress was not so easy. Vanita did a wonderful job on the theme she created for me and her how to videos were wonderful to follow. The only thing I missed was step 4. Oops. Poor Vanita – I can’t tell you how many times I emailed her. I would recommend if you do make a switch to have someone else with you to check off each step as you go and be sure not to skip a step like I did! I bet I can soon do a post on what NOT to DO.
I had to find out for myself if it is all true about self-hosting. I wanted to learn more and no better way to learn than by just doing it. It has made me feel technically challenged this week. I have feed issues now. If anyone is a feed wizard please let me know.
But each day I do learn more. I’m getting familiar with the plug-ins. I am amazed at just how many they are – thousands! How do I choose plug-ins?
- Read others posts about their top choices for plug-ins like this one from Basic Blog Tips
- Read the reviews and ratings of each plug-in before use
- You can always unplug them – deactivate and delete!
So what made me switch? I have read so many things about how much better self-hosting is for your blog.
- More Options – With themes and layouts
- SEO – The blog is better optimized for SEO and you can be found more easily organically on search engines
- Advertising – You can have more ad options and advertisers willing to run ads on your site with a self-hosted site
- Professional – With the themes and plug-ins available your blog can look more professional
I still have more work to finish up the blog – adding pages that I had and other links. If you were on my blogroll and are missing just let me know! I have not been reading as many blogs as I have liked to with the transition so if I missed something good send me a tweet!
If you are not on a self-hosted blog are you considering the move over?
20 Super Easy Blog Ideas for Students To Make Extra Money On The SideWhether you are a student looking for some extra money on the side, or a new or seasoned blogger, you won't mind learning about ideas to help make extra money on the side, would you? Click here to read this and am sure you will be surprised at how awesome and easy it is to make extra money on the side as a blogger.
Powered by Kingged.com
Where Quality Content Is King!