Inactive Twitter Followers
Inactive Twitter followers are being swept away now more than ever before. No matter the season, the Twitter cleaning continues. Why follow peeps who have not tweeted in weeks or months?
There are several reasons to unfollow them on your Twitter account.
If peeps are not active on the social networking service, it is time to say Goodbye!
No matter the season, why follow peeps who have not tweeted in weeks or months? There are several reasons to unfollow them. #Twittertips Click To Tweet
3 Great Ways to Unfollow Inactive Twitter Accounts
There are some great tools you can use to check who isn’t following and how long since they last tweeted. Why waste your stream with folks that are inactive and/or irrelevant to your tweets?
Most of these Twitter tools below have a free and paid version.
- Commun.it – This is a great tool as it recommends which peeps to follow or unfollow. You can also see when they last tweeted and/or interacted with you on Twitter. The best feature is seeing who is not following you as it goes back in history as the inactive Twitter followers.
- Tweepi – When I did not find enough to unfollow I went to Tweepi. A great way to see who has tweeted in the last week or month. It was amazing to see how many peeps just tweeted in minutes while I was on their site checking it out.
- Tweetsmap – You can have emails sent daily or weekly. Then, you set up how often to receive them. Finally, you can find the user quickly on Twitter and unfollow if they have recently unfollowed you. However, if they have value in their tweets I will continue to follow them. (Like I still follow Neil Patel as you see in an example below.)
I would not recommend going right from the email to Twitter. Twitter does not like 3rd party apps for following and unfollowing and could lock you out!
How Agorapulse Shows You Who Follows and More!
However, if you are using Agorapulse you can see right in the dashboard who is following you or not on Twitter today! Agorapulse will also tell you who is an ambassador for your account.
Not only that but Aograpulse shows you who is engaged with you on the Twitter network. There is another section that gives you even more info on a peep such as their profile. In addition, how many retweets they have given you as well as how many direct messages between you.
However, if you are using Agorapulse you can see right in the dashboard who is following you or not on Twitter today! Agorapulse will also tell you who is an ambassador for your account. #Twittertips Click To Tweet
The New Twitter Layout Shows Who Follows You or Not Now
When Twitter changed their layout a few months back they gave us a new feature right on the Twitter stream.
As you can see in the example below Neil Patel is not following me back on Twitter. Do note as well, that you can see who else is following from your peeps that you follow.
But as you can see below Bad Red Head Media is following me back and notice how you can see who else is following back:
This is a much better way to see who follows you. In addition, it will keep you from being locked out of Twitter as Twitter doesn’t like those 3rd party apps!
And then there is a new service for Twitter that Ileane Smith tweeted about today:
— Ileane (@Ileane) November 14, 2019
And a bonus tip from Ileane today:
Oh boy!! There are tons of apps that I need to remove. Go here to see how long your list is ?https://t.co/t29ool3e1u
— Ileane (@Ileane) August 3, 2020
Followers – Be Careful How Many You Unfollow In A Day
Twitter has rules about how many you can follow and unfollow in a day. You must be careful not to be seen as churning spam, particularly by automated means. If you are one to follow and unfollow daily you may get noticed by Twitter and could be a cause for concern.
Today you can follow up to 400 people per day. But, if your Twitter account is verified that number climbs to 1,000 people that you may follow.
In addition, every Twitter account can follow up to 5,000 accounts. Once you reach that number, you may need to wait until your account has more followers before you can follow additional accounts.
This number is different for each account and is automatically calculated based on your unique ratio of followers to following according to Twitter.
So be careful not to constantly follow and unfollow. You must also read my eBook so you don’t end up in Twitter jail – it really exists! My updated version will be out soon.
You must be careful not to be seen as churning spam particularly by automated means. #Twittertips Click To Tweet
6 Reasons To Stop Following Old Twitter Followers
- They haven’t tweeted in weeks or months.
- People don’t tweet in your areas of interest, why continue to follow them?
- They do not interact with you when you tweet or retweet them.
- Other accounts don’t have a face or icon associated with their account – why did you follow in the first place?
- No profile – What are these Twitter peeps about? What is their purpose for being on Twitter? Fill out the bio completely!
- Lastly, they tweet constantly – filling up your stream with not so great content. Maybe they should use Aograpulse to schedule their tweets out.
How often do you clean up your inactive Twitter followers on Twitter and do you have other reasons to unfollow peeps on Twitter?
If you still want to keep tabs on some of these folks on Twitter you can easily put them in a Twitter list.
I’d love to know more in the comments below on how you go about unfollowing others on Twitter!