Self Hosting Your Blog
It’s been a few days since I decided to dive into the self-hosted blogging world. I actually did transfer my other infectious disease blog from WordPress.com to self-hosting a few weeks ago and that switch was pretty easy. I went with Selby Media and Val there was wonderful getting me set up.
The switch from blogger to self-hosted WordPress was not so easy. Vanita did a wonderful job on the theme she created for me and her how to videos were wonderful to follow. The only thing I missed was step 4. Oops. Poor Vanita – I can’t tell you how many times I emailed her. I would recommend if you do make a switch to have someone else with you to check off each step as you go and be sure not to skip a step like I did! I bet I can soon do a post on what NOT to DO.
I had to find out for myself if it is all true about self-hosting. I wanted to learn more and no better way to learn than by just doing it. It has made me feel technically challenged this week. I have feed issues now. If anyone is a feed wizard please let me know.
But each day I do learn more. I’m getting familiar with the plug-ins. I am amazed at just how many they are – thousands! How do I choose plug-ins?
- Read others posts about their top choices for plug-ins like this one from Basic Blog Tips
- Read the reviews and ratings of each plug-in before use
- You can always unplug them – deactivate and delete!
So what made me switch? I have read so many things about how much better self-hosting is for your blog.
- More Options – With themes and layouts
- SEO – The blog is better optimized for SEO and you can be found more easily organically on search engines
- Advertising – You can have more ad options and advertisers willing to run ads on your site with a self-hosted site
- Professional – With the themes and plug-ins available your blog can look more professional
I still have more work to finish up the blog – adding pages that I had and other links. If you were on my blogroll and are missing just let me know! I have not been reading as many blogs as I have liked to with the transition so if I missed something good send me a tweet!
If you are not on a self-hosted blog are you considering the move over?