10 Blogs with Great White Space Design Today

White Space Design For Your Blog To Stand Out

white space designDo you feel more at home when you visit a blog or website that has plenty of white space design? White space is also known as negative space. It makes it easier on your eyes when scanning a page whether in print or online.

Many advertisers try to cram a lot of info into their advertisements both in print and online thinking they want to use every inch to spend their money wisely. In reality they are not!  Over the 20+ years I’ve spent working in marketing and advertising I’ve seen this over and over again. Can you add this to our ad? Can you put in one more sentence without increasing the size of the ad?

White space is an investment for advertisers and content publishers as readers will likely spend more time reading their content either online or in print. It makes it so much easier to readers to see the copy clearly.

I find myself more at home reading blogs with white space and spending more time on them. If I land on one that is overly cluttered I will not stay. That would include several pop-ups as well. It is too confusing to try to read! Have you ever had that happen to you?

10 Blogs with Great White Space Design

Dukeo – Stephen at Dukeo is back and I loved his new design. It’s fresh and easy to read with plenty of white space.

Basic Blog Tips – Ms. Ileane has changed her look as well at her blog. She used to have more things crowded on the sidebars and her posts now have a shorter width. This makes her posts more pleasing on the eyes.

Hot Blog Tips – I hadn’t visited Brian’s blog in a while and was surprised to see how different it looked – and it too was neater and easier to read with the use of white space.

Shade of Info via Andrew Warner – This blog has a nice fresh white space look and feel to it. I also love the look of the typeface and size of the typeface. Sure makes it easy to read!

Byte of Data – I came by this blog in researching blogs with white space. This blog is extremely clean especially in the header and the blue color stands out against the white.

Blogn with Meghan – I found this new blog by Meghan via using Just Retweet. I landed on a very clean looking blog that I had to include this one on my list here of blogs with clean white space design.

Barbara Charles – Barbara Charles had updated her blog a few months ago and it’s so refreshing to land there and experience all the white space design and crisp typeface. It makes it so much easier and enjoyable to read.

Flying the Nest – I found this travel blog via Bloglovin. It has beautiful white space along with large photos. This blog is by an Australian couple who travel the world.

Just Like  A Fine Wine – Brenda has come up with more white space in her latest theme and a blog that has a multi niche category. That is not an easy task with a multi niche blog category. Those blogs tend to have the least amount of white space.

Living on the Fault Lines – I discovered this blog via Irish Carters blog. Not only did I discover the white space design but an important blog to help others who have experienced the loss of loved ones through suicide.

What Other Designs Makes Blogs Look Pleasing to the Eyes?

Websites ColorThe colors that are used on a website can make a difference in how a blog or website looks. The colors can even determine how much money it will make!  Ever wonder why Victoria Secrets is in Pink? Ladies purchase more when they see pink.

Websites Font – The font size can truly make a difference in how longer a reader will stick around. Older readers really need a larger font size  as well as an easy to read style front. Verdana, Trebuchet MS and the serif font Georgia are considered easy to read on computer screens.

Are you using white space design on your blog or do you crowd your sidebars and footers with ads and other materials?

Is it a big turn off for you if you visit a crowded website or blog?  I”d love to know via comments!

Top Image courtesy of tiramisustudio at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

43 Responses to 10 Blogs with Great White Space Design Today

• Kimsea Sok

Lisa, thanks for sharing…!

Actually, I’m currently using free of “Humen themse”. I am not really appreciate with that same because the low contrast and white make my readers a bit hard in reading. I got some compliant about that.

I have purchase KlEO premium theme, but I’m not able to use that because my hosting service is a bit slow thus I need to change my hosting service first.

Thanks for sharing some ideas to make better designation of white space of our blog. I think that some time white space is not really important. I love Basic Blog Tips theme.

Have nice weekend..
    Kimsea Sok recently posted…6 Monster Blog Marketing Mistakes You Have to Stop ItMy Profile

• Zac Johnson says:

Great collection of sites — many of which I’ve visited and read. Congrats on your blog and the awesome community/engagement you have going on here!

• Carol Amato

Hi, Lisa,

What a great topic for discussion. I’m so glad that you put a lot of importance on the blog design having plenty of white space. For me, it’s a must-have!

In fact, about a year ago I met someone who was offering website design services whose own blog was a horrible example of the “whitespace rule” so his services didn’t look very appealing, and it seemed as if he was a ‘hypocrite.’

You’ve listed some gems, and I appreciate many of these blog owners and their blog designs with plenty of whitespace. However, I need to check out a few like Living on the Fault Lines. I had never heard of this before, so thanks for the heads up!
    :-)

Hope you can have a relaxing weekend, and that the weather is great for you.

Take care,
    ˜Carol
    Carol Amato recently posted…Best 5 Tips To Make Images Work For YouMy Profile

Hi Carol, thank you. Yes, I get frustrated when I land on websites that are so cluttered you can’t read a thing on them. So when I found some really nice ones I thought I would share as many were redoing their websites for mobile. I’m glad you found a new one too. I love when that happens when I read other’s posts. Weekend was good, weather okay too (at least no snow – LOL). Have a great new week Carol!
      Lisa recently posted…How To Get More Social Shares Today with a Magic NumberMy Profile

• Irish Carter

I would love to know more about the colors and what are the best ones to use. : ) I use alot of purple in my site because it is a spiritually calming color.

I struggle with this because I clean up my website and then within just a few months its back cluttered again.

Thanks for the info.

Irish
    Irish Carter recently posted…Dedicated 2 Life’s Passionate People of 2015 Picks – Group Seven! – Who Gets Your Vote?My Profile

• Napster Raza says:

Nice Post Lisa ! Good Work And yes using the Right White backgrounds theme is really good for reader and dont harshes them 😉

Thanks for sharing your thoughts !

Hi Don, yes, the colors look great – one thing – could you make text a tad bigger? The white really looks great against the gray areas of the site.
    Clutter is hard to control when one has a lot to put on their website and homepage. I know I’ve kept deleting things along the way here on the sidebar. It’s hard sometimes to decide on placements and sizes.
    Thanks for coming by Don and I appreciate the shares in the socialverse too!
    Lisa recently posted…10 Blogs with Great White Space Design TodayMy Profile

• Don Purdum

As you may know, I just redesigned my site very recently. I went for clean, easy and chose a color pallet that was bold but nicely done.

The content area is all white, but the background uses a grey. Mixed with the oranges and reds that brand with my logo instill confidence and trust.

But you are so right… the site still has to be clean and easy to read. Clutter is a serious problem on many sites and are a major distraction.

Thanks for writing about this issue. I will be sharing it as many to read your wise words in this post!

~ Don Purdum
    Don Purdum recently posted…How Can I Find the Right Web Designer for My Business?My Profile

• Mi Muba

This is the biggest benefit of sharing a list post where one finds at least a few new things as I found a few blogs quite new to me as obviously it is hard to keep eye on all because of millions of blogs in blogosphere. So thanks for sharing this amazing list.

I fully agree with you that white space offers a sense of relief while reading a post with a huge content of text and images.
    Have a nice rest of the week.
    Mi Muba recently posted…How to create a high-priced product to earn money massively?My Profile

Hi Mi – I like that too when I come across a list post of other blogs. It’s great to find some new ones to add into your reading. You are welcome. Yes, it sure does help the eyes to have that white space online. Even more so if the length of posts are long. Thanks for coming by and enjoy the rest of your week as well.
      Lisa recently posted…10 Blogs with Great White Space Design TodayMy Profile

Great examples Lisa and I love Barbara’s new theme too.

As Sherryl had said, we are both searching for new themes. Ready to turn in the old and start with some new. It’s been awhile now since I’ve had an update and boy am I ever ready.

I like Dukeo’s new look as well as Ileane’s too. I don’t think you can go wrong when you keep it clean and simple.

Thanks for sharing these, just more to go through to see if one catches my eye. 😉

Hope you’re doing well.

Adrienne recently posted…The Most Exciting Thing I Heard About #SMMW15My Profile

Hi Adrienne, thanks. I’m glad you liked this one. I keep on tweaking mine here to make it look better – sometimes changes so small that they are not quite noticeable. I just love landing on neat and clean websites and blogs. They make it easier to look around and read as you go along.
      I can’t wait to see what you come up with Adrienne, you have made several changes now in the past few years :)
      I hope the rest of the week goes great and talk soon!
      Lisa recently posted…10 Blogs with Great White Space Design TodayMy Profile

Thank you so much for including Byte Of Data in your list of ‘white space design blogs’ – I was totally surprised!

I hope your readers can appreciate what you are saying about white space and not making things cluttered on their web pages. I’m using the Focusblog Theme from Thrive Themes and I’m very pleased with it.

You’ve introduced me to a few more sites I’m not familiar with so I shall go and investigate now 😆

Thanks
    – David
    David Hartshorne recently posted…Google Update – Do You Have a Mobile Friendly Website?My Profile

• Hey Lisa,

Having a lot of white space is definitely pleasing to the eyes! I tell you that I started reading posts on my mobile phone this year and it really does make a difference versus just having a bunch of text.

Right now I’m doing A/B testing and my blog may look a little cluttered now, but I will clean this up so that I don’t scare my visitors away LOL.. But I know some of the blogs you mentioned but I will make a point to visit the one’s I dont know about! Thanks for sharing! Have a great rest of the week!
    Sherman Smith recently posted…5 Power Driven Elements To Focus On To Generate Email SubscribersMy Profile

Hi Sherman, oh yes, it certainly does. I would love to learn how to do that testing, always read about it but wasn’t sure how to do one one way and another another way. I need a simple instruction on that one. I’m sure you will find a couple of new great blogs here too. Thanks for coming by Sherman and I hope you enjoy the rest of your week.
      Lisa recently posted…10 Blogs with Great White Space Design TodayMy Profile

• Hi Lisa, Yes, there is a huge difference when you arrive at a website with a lot of white space. I’m also a fan of fonts and find small fonts very difficult to read, especially on mobile. I’m actually happy that Google is insisting on larger fonts to be mobile-friendly.

All of the design elements you mention make a site look better on mobile.

So happy Dukeo is back!!!
    Carolyn Nicander Mohr recently posted…Twitter’s New Feature That Helps You Be More Social!My Profile

• Wow thanks, Lisa.

I appreciate the mention. A few months back, I started realizing the importance of white space. It’s something not to take lightly.

I find it almost impossible to read a post that’s all crammed and formatted incorrectly. If it’s too jammed, I can’t read it. I’m going to check out these other posts as well that you mentioned. Not only to appreciate the fact they use white space, but perhaps to find some interesting new content and blogs as well.

– Andrew
    Andrew M. Warner recently posted…3 Optimization Experiments To Growth Hack My Blog (and Why You Should Do Them Too)My Profile

Like Ileane, I was using Playcast Pro by Appendipity. I’ve since switched back to the StudioPress Eleven40 Child Theme on Genesis and I’m pretty happy with it so far.

Its so hard to resist the temptation to include all of the cool stuff we have to share on our blogs and sidebars.

Not only does heavy content affect page load time, it also distracts from the post’s overall message.

Offer too many options and most people leave without doing a thing. It’s just too overwhelming.

Thank you for using Hot Blog Tips as an example. :)

I had to laugh at your design example. Like they say, no one is a designer until they hire one.

I worked on a handful of site design projects where I wanted to fire the client because they wanted to ruin what they had hired me to do,
    Brian D. Hawkins recently posted…Blog Post Length: How Long Should Your Blog Posts Be?My Profile

Hi Brian, what made you switch back? I know, you make a good point, it is HARD to eliminate some of that stuff on the sidebar. And that loading time is very important too to consider.
      You are welcome Brian, I hadn’t been by in a little while I guess as I found it looks quite different :) Better, of course!
      I bet your clients wanted to jam everything in right?
      Thank for the visit Brian and have a great week ahead….
      Lisa recently posted…10 Blogs with Great White Space Design TodayMy Profile

• Megan Cooper says:

HI, Lisa! This is a wonderful list of blogs with great white-space design. I am definitely honored you included my blog in your list. I always found websites with a simple design and more white space to be the most attractive and find that they are easier to read as well.

• Jens P. Berget

I agree with you. If there are too many ads, or just too much of everything, I’ll end up someplace else fairly fast. Or, if the text is important enough I’ll save the article to Pocket so that I can focus on the text.

At the moment, what makes me most interesting is the font of a website. So much is happening with fonts and some sites have really awesome fonts that makes me just want to keep reading, like Danny Brown’s blog.
    Jens P. Berget recently posted…A business model that converts one-time buyers into loyal customersMy Profile

Hi Jens, nice to see you back here! That’s a good idea – save for later if text is that important. But if the text is really small or tahtbad I would not even know!
      I would agree with font and Danny Brown’s blog. It is easy to read. (and great content surely helps).
      I hope things have been well with you and I’ll be by soon to catch up at your place. Have a great new week!
      Lisa recently posted…10 Blogs with Great White Space Design TodayMy Profile

• Brenda Lee

Hey Lisa! What a fabulous line up of “white space” blogs! Thanks for the JLAFW shout-out. MGP is rocking the same theme. I’m like the others in that I don’t like darker themes nor small fonts. A clean, crisp theme that isn’t overly cluttered and one that you can easily find what you’re looking for.

You posted some “new to me” blogs up there so I better get clicking!

Are you thinking of a theme change? If so, might I interest in you a Genesis platform? 😉

Have a great weekend!
    Brenda Lee recently posted…What Does It Mean To Be A Contributor?My Profile

Hi Brenda, you are welcome. Remember how cluttered our blogs were when we first started years ago? :) Keeping it simple and easy is important. I did quite a bit of research looking for some new ones. Not yet, I need to be up to speed and with one arm I don’t see that happening yet. It finally was a beautiful weekend as far as weather goes here. Hope you enjoyed yours!
      Lisa recently posted…10 Blogs with Great White Space Design TodayMy Profile

When I had my blog re-done, I went with white space because it gives a clean crisp look. There is nothing worse for me to try to get through reading a blog that is black with white wording. I actually get dizzy.

I also like blogs that are not cluttered with blinking things and crazy designs. For me, to read a blog with white space is easy on the eyes and is quicker to read.

Donna Merrill recently posted…How To Write Blog Posts Like CrazyMy Profile

Hi Donna, funny while I was researching for new blogs I came across some that made me dizzy – zig zag backgrounds – imagine that?
      I can’t agree more with you on that Donna, we need it easier on the eyes to read – otherwise it’s on to what’s next. Thank you for coming by and hope you have a great new week!
      Lisa recently posted…10 Blogs with Great White Space Design TodayMy Profile

• Rachel says:

I’ve just recently changed my theme and am still in the process of setting it up exactly how I like it. At the moment I do have quite a lot of white space and that’s something that a couple of people have mentioned that they like. I’m not sure about the font though; it’s in italics and I’m not convinced that it’s so easy to read. Once I’ve worked out how to do that, I think I’m going to change it. I’ll check out some of the websites that you mentioned. It’s always good to get more blogging ideas. Thank you.

The biggest turn off for me is a dark color background and small fonts. I’ve been to a blog that has both and while I love reading the content, it’s hard on the eyes. :)

You have shared some great blogs here. Some I haven’t been to but I plan on checking them out.

Have a great weekend!
    Corina Ramos recently posted…Buh-bye Other Brand-I Love Neutrogena Naturals Make-Up Remover Cleansing TowelettesMy Profile

• Sherryl Perry

Your timing is perfect. I’m tired of my blog design (or lack thereof) and am ready to launch a new clean updated version. So, I’ll go through each and everyone of these sites over the weekend (for inspiration and ideas).

I’ve already noticed Stephen’s redesign at Dukeo. Although I’ve been following him for years (and consistently sharing his content), i don’t believe I had ever left a comment for him. Well, his new design must have really caught my eye because I finally left him one. :)

Now, I’m looking forward to visiting all the sites you included. Thanks and i hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    Sherryl Perry recently posted…Are You Confused about Google’s New Ranking Signal?My Profile

Hi Sherryl, glad to hear that. Sometimes I think everyone has read what I’ve read and don’t realize that’s not truly the case. I left one too and didn’t always in the past but love the new look he has there at his blog. I hope you find the other sites useful for your redesign Sherryl. Enjoy the rest of the weekend too!
      Lisa recently posted…10 Blogs with Great White Space Design Today My Profile

• Ileane

I’m thrilled to see that you noticed the new look of the blog and decided to include it here!

I was in between themes because the other theme I was using got retired. But the theme I’m using now is from Appendipity called Playcast Pro and I absolutely love it! During the transition I also decided to get rid of AdSense and some other widgets that were cluttering the sidebar. I think this brings more attention to the content like you mentioned.

Thanks Lisa, I’m off to check out some of the other blogs on your list now too.

Have a great weekend my dear.
    Ileane recently posted…How to Create Infographics that Send Hoards of New Visitors to Your BlogMy Profile

Hi Ilene, me too! I have not heard of that theme before, very interesting. Thanks for letting us know which theme you are using. I have been cleaning mine up too from time to time and minimalizing the site as well. I haven’t changed themes but made tweaks along the almost 4 years now. I hope you are well and are enjoying the weekend Ileane. I know the weather finally cleared up here and the snow has finally melted. I hope the same in your area.Thanks for coming by!
      Lisa recently posted…10 Blogs with Great White Space Design Today My Profile