Google Plus Social Network or SEO Advantage?

Google Plus Social Network or SEO Based?

google plus social networkIf you are not a blogger you may not understand exactly what Google Plus is. During my day job I am out seeing clients on social media and other online products we now help them with. The one question that keeps coming up is “What is Google Plus?”  Other times clients find search results and see the pins in maps for their websites or their competitors websites and they don’t know that this is part of the Google Plus social network.
The average person out there uses Facebook, a few may to use Twitter but the majority do NOT  use Google+, mainly because they do not understand it. Is it a social network or is it’s purpose to help websites SEO rank in Google search?

Here is how one blogger answered a question on what Google Plus is:

Just Like A Fine Wine Similar to Facebook but less personal. Somewhat like Twitter with more than 140 characters. Takes a lot of work to get something out of it.

Google Plus – The Social Network.

Google Plus is a social network, just like Facebook. You can search for your friends on the Google Network and put them in circles. When you share content you can choose which circles to share it with, as you can with Facebook lists and/or groups. You don’t have to connect with those that circle you if you don’t want to.

Google social networkI found many geeks on the Google Plus network and many willing and able to help me with tech questions, etc. You can also join groups and hangouts there but I caution you as joining too many will surely spread you too thin. You can read more on Google Plus circles from an earlier post via Samantha Gluck.

You can also give posts a plus (similar to a like on Facebook) and of course comment and engage with others on their posts. It is also polite to thank others for their +’s and comments on this Google social network. Many times if you are logged into your Google account you will see what your friends gave a + to and see Google Plus posts in the search results as well.

Google Plus – SEO Enriched

Google Plus used to be known as Google Places a few years back. Businesses would appear in a Google search with a pin on map of where it was located as it is still now. google mapsBusinesses could claim their place by submitting a request to Google who would send a postcard for them to fill out. Each business would need a physical location to qualify and to be verified. Once verified a business could fill out information in this Google place now known as Google Plus. This is still how it is done today. Once verified a company can update their page as often as they want! And it’s FREE. (One note: someone must have a Google account to set this up and be sure others at the company have passwords in case that someone ever leaves.)

Google-Plus-pagesThey now offer a beautiful image cover on business pages and businesses can post other photos pertaining to the company as well as information such as hours etc. It is very important for businesses to include their website addresses on this Google+ page as well as other information. It will help the businesses main websites SEO efforts over time. Do note: Any SEO that is done for a website takes time.

How To Increase Engagement on Google Plus Social Network

I found this new infograph via Visualy that I thought would be helpful to newbies or some who may not use this social network often. There are some great insights and tips for regular Google Plus users too.

How to Increase Your Google+ Engagement by 281%

If you are not on the Google Plus social network why haven’t you joined yet?
Special note: If you noticed I hadn’t been around, I suffered a broken arm in 3 places and 10 broken ribs about 2 weeks ago in a snowmobile accident. I will be undergoing surgery on my arm and will be taking it slow. I am so glad for voice activation tools!

54 Responses to Google Plus Social Network or SEO Advantage?

• Mohit farswan

Hi ma’am,
    Excellent article with an infographic. It is easier to understand with images. I think Google plus is best social networking website in terms of getting visitors from there, But very not very easy indeed. You have to share your post consistently on Google Plus so that it can attract people out there. But most of the people don’t know the value of Google Plus, they just spend their time on it.
    Mohit farswan recently posted…Windows 10 Features For PC, Mobile, Bugs and ReviewsMy Profile

• Sharad Gupta

Google Plus social media network is good way to drive direct traffic for blogs like other social media …

But you need to notice that Google+ is a service operated by Google .

Google always put weight on content that is shared on Google+ and it improves the Search rank in Google thus SEO advantage is also there …

• charan says:

its a prefect lesson for the new bloggers like me.. social networking sites playing an important role for our daily lifes as well as bloggers .. now every blogger using google + as same as a twitter.. thaks for the post.. including actually i mostly participate in google plus rather than twitter or fb.

You’re opening doors for a wonderful discussion with this informative post :)

I’m with Brenda’s definition about Google+ too – but still I think we can improve the privacy by tweaking some settings though.

Actually, the first days of Google+ was all about gaming for me. It was amazing and there was a lot of engagement as I recall. Now it’s quite a platform I reserved for blogging related activities. Since Google+ is Google’s social platform, content worth sharing over there.

But imagine if Bing (Microsoft) introduced a social network. They already have. I think it’s the brand “Google” got our attention as bloggers, and integrating Google+ with Google Search has been another reason due to SEO advantage. Isn’t it?

If I may, Google Places and Google+ are two products as I know, Lisa :) Now Google Places is Google My Business, and they still send postcards in US? My cousin verified his two weeks back and didn’t send a postcard though.

Apart from all, what amaze me is that I’ve seen more people now use Google+ as a blogging platform :) Create and circulate wonderful information within Google+ and they seem to grab more attention as well. I didn’t encounter such on Facebook much though. Hmm… Google+ has potential, but it seems moving slow. Orrr… less dynamic.

BTW, is this the post you have been composing while you’re at hospital? All I have to say is brilliant! :) I thought you’re only addicted to coffee and Twitter. Nah, and blogging too :mrgreen:

Hope you’re having a lovely Sunday while in the speedy recovery dear.

Take care dear friend :)

Mayura recently posted…How to Secure Your Twitter AccountMy Profile

Hi Mayura, I believe you are right – bloggers jumped to Google Plus for the SEO benefits it has taken longer there then Facebook or Twitter to gain strength in numbers
      I had this post started in my head before the accident but worked on it afterwards. It took much longer between voice activation and using just one hand.
      Thanks for coming by and have a great start to the new week Mayura :)
      PS, yes postcards still in US to verify Google accounts for places.

• Avnish Gautam says:

In my view Google plus has advantage as both social network and seo because more friends make it wonderful social network and more plus one votes helps in SEO.

Hi Irish, I hope so too – I am getting more movement in the arm.
    You sound a lot like me Irish when it comes to Google+ and our time restraints. It sure is not an easy fix, I always thought of a weekly schedule and try to focus on one network each day, have you ever tried something like that?
    You are welcome and thanks for your input. I hope you have a great week Irish!
    Lisa recently posted…Google Plus Social Network or SEO Advantage?My Profile

• Irish Carter

Hope you are getting stronger everyday. :) I really do love Google+ . I confess I don’t use it that much anymore. Not because I don’t believe in it, because I really really really do. In fact, I used to promote the heck out of it. My biggest reason for not using it is simply my time schedule and restraints. I share my info there but in regards to finding time to engage strongly there, it is so limited. I tend to focus on facebook, twitter, pinterest, instagram and linkedIn. It’s silly I know. I have a large following there on G+. I should be finding the time to engage there.

I’m going to go check this link out from Samantha you have here. Thanks for sharing. :) Have a good week.

Irish

• Alize Camp says:

I’ve a lot of friends in my Google+ profile but when I post something there, it’s not bring much visitors to my site as well. I don’t know why and just think maybe they don’t interested in my post.

good to see you are back online.

I’m so sorry for your accident, I hope you are recovering well.

Coming to your post, I think Google+ will always be attractive for webmasters and people working online.
    I think it can be good, both for social purposes, or for SEO benefits.

I’m sure Big G will bring soon some news to its social network.

My best wishes for a good recovery, Lisa.
    Sending you positive energy! 😛
    Erik Emanuelli recently posted…6 New Social Media You Need to WatchMy Profile

Hi Erik, thanks – it is a slow process but coming along.
      I would agree with that – I just don’t know if non webmasters and those not working online will get to use Google+ even half of what they use say Facebook for. It will be interesting in a few years to see how these sites progress.
      Thanks Erik, have a great day!
      Lisa recently posted…Google Plus Social Network or SEO Advantage?My Profile

• Neil Ferree

Google Plus is getting a lot a negative press these days. My crystal ball doesn’t work anymore, but I doubt the sr. execs will pull the plug on G+ anytime soon. I still think there’s value in the social engagement dynamic that G+ provides and if you’re included in a user’s Circles, your content will be elevated in the SERP’s as a result and that’s a good thing – right?
    Neil Ferree recently posted…How to Dramatically Increase Your Online VisibilityMy Profile

• Shivkumar

Hope you are feeling better now.
    Google+ is a good way to get loyal reader and more traffic. You have explained it in a very nice way using inforgraphic. I think I can make get more traffic using your tips in inforgraphic.

Thanks for sharing! Take rest and get well soon. :)

>SK Lohar
    Shivkumar recently posted…Remove Virus/unwanted file Using Command PromptMy Profile

• Veena Furtado says:

Hi Lisa:
    Great post you have written on Google Plus.
    I do not use it all that much due to time constraints..24 hours is too less in a day. But, I have included the address of my various websites on Google Plus.
    The visuals you have shared are just awesome, how did you make them? Thanks for this great post.
    Best wishes and regards.
    Take care.
    Veena 😛

I sure hope you’re doing much better my dear. I’m so sorry for your accident and not a fun way to spend your birthday this year. Boy this one will always be remembered won’t it?

I hear more changes are coming to Google+, splitting it down the middle or something. I briefly glanced at what’s to come now but you did a great job of explaining this to those who still aren’t familiar with what exactly it is. Like any new social media platform, or in this case they changed the name and some features, it takes awhile to get use to it. It took me some time too and I blog! LOL!!!

Great job Lisa and take it easy girl. We miss you but want you well.

Adrienne recently posted…HELP: Why Adrienne Smith Needs A RebrandMy Profile

Hi Adrienne, every day a little improvement – I’m so thankful to still be here and without a spinal or head injuries as I crashed trees coming down. That sure will be a birthday to be remembered!
      Oh yes – there are always changes it seems on every social network. I think it’s how the Google+ feed will look. Yes even most of us bloggers had to get used of using Google+ when it first came out. We were so ised to Facebook and twitter. Amazing how much we do learn daily online.
      Thank you – I start PT later this week, today is one month from the accident. I feel a little out of touch with time now too. Thanks for coming by and I hope you are enjoying your weekend Adrienne!
      Lisa recently posted…Google Plus Social Network or SEO Advantage?My Profile

• Hey Lisa, great little write up and infographic, it’s so easy to assume that everyone knows about Google+ and it’s purpose because we use it often. But I completely agree, I often chat to old clients who have seen the site but never really know what it’s about.

I spend far more time on Google+ than I do on Facebook, for me Google+ isn’t so much of a ghost town as Facebook is or can be. I’ve not yet got involved in doing any hangouts yet, that’s one feature of Google+ I think I need to take advantage of more. Also I don’t do as much on my Google+ business page as I do with my profile, that’s just something I’ve always done from the start.

Hope you get fixed up soon Lisa, sorry to hear about accident.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Van Marciano recently posted…19 Must-Use Tools For Running Your WordPress Blog Like A ProMy Profile

Hi Fabrizio, thank you. Yes, it’s only people like ourselves involved with blogging and marketing that are well aware of Google+, That’s unusual being there more than Facebook. I just got an invite yesterday from my 7 year old great newphew – too funny but he knew what to do.
      I’m like you too with my business page on Google+ – I usually share there from the Buffer.
      Thank you, it’s challenging with one arm but I start PT later this week. It’s hard to sit in the same position for long the ribs, so glad for voice activation on my tablet.
      Thanks for coming by and have a great new week ahead.
      Lisa recently posted…Google Plus Social Network or SEO Advantage?My Profile

• Simon Apps says:

Some really useful information there, thanks! Only recently discovered Google+ and I’m encouraging our clients to leave us reviews, but Google don’t make it easy for these busy people.

Hope you recover quickly. If you look at my biog on the website you’ll see I went through something similar when I was younger. It’s surprising how fast we heal. :)

• Don Purdum says:

I’m sorry to hear about your injury and I hope you’re on the mend?

Regarding Google Plus, I’m LOVING it!!!! I have made a number connections with some massive influencers and I love the results I’m getting.

I get as my click through’s to my website and blog, if not more, than any other social site and yes there is definitely and SEO advantage with it.

Personally, I’m a fan.

I hope you feel better soon and have a great end to your week!

~ Don Purdum

Thank you Don. Slowly but surely, it will be weeks with the broken parts.
      That is great to hear- I also made some new connections there. Many of the tech folks were more than happy to help whenever I had questions too.
      Thanks for your input Don, have a great rest of the week there.

I hope you’re feeling better.

I still don’t know my way around Google Plus which explains why I’m hardly on there. The way you broke it down and the infographic helped a lot. Now I’ll have a better idea of how to engage and get noticed on there thanks to you.

Thanks for sharing all this info with us. Get well soon!

Cori
    Corina Ramos recently posted…Infographic: The 20 Effects Of Stress On The BodyMy Profile

Hi Corina, thank you slowly it is healing, some days are harder than others to find comfortable spot to sit or sleep.
      I’m surprised you think you are hardly there I do see you there when I visit. You seem pretty active to me. You are welcome and thanks for coming by. Have a great day Corina.

• jitendra

Very nice explanation. And I am highly impressed with those infographics that you have used in this post. I have been active on G+ plus to generate a generate traffic but after reading this post, now I know how to get the best out of G+. Thank for sharing such valuable information.
    jitendra recently posted…Togofogo.com: Get the Stuff you wantMy Profile

Thanks Jtendra and welcome to Inspire To Thrive. Yes, it can generate traffic but the SEO benefits a great. It is also a great network to meet other like minded people. Thank you for stopping by and have a great day.

• Ryan Biddulph

I hope you’re feeling better!

I am warming up to G Plus because Google gives its little brother some serious juice in search engines. Network, or Circle Mates, will pop up on your web searches for certain keywords and vice versa when they search for keywords included through your shares. I don’t see this with Facebook but then again, FB doesn’t own Google 😉

I intend to be active on G Plus regularly. I’ve just focused my attention and energy on Twitter so much and on blog commenting, as well as doing the eBook and content creation bit, that I have little time for working G Plus intelligently and effectively.

Thanks for giving me the nudge Lisa 😉

Please make sure to rest up too!

Ryan
    Ryan Biddulph recently posted…Visit the Blogging from Paradise Library on AmazonMy Profile

Thanks Ryan, some days better than others but I’m very lucky to be able to eventually recover from the accident. Yes, that is a great reason to use Google Plus as it works with search. I think Facebook did with Being but not sure if that is still the case today.
      I am Twitter more for sure as its my number one network. I try to get to Google Plus severalbtimes per week. You are most welcome,
      Have a great new week Ryan and thanks for your input on this one.

• donna merrill

Good to have you back. My healing prayers are still with you. You are a real trooper coming back online. But I find that working is the best medicine.

I love using Google+ for so many things from sharing other people’s posts to Google Hangouts. As I looked through this infographic I was surprised at the small number of marketers using this platform. There is a lot of controversy in the marketer’s world about it, but I love it!

It comes to no surprise to me that images receive a high percentage of +. People love images there. I have to get on my game with that one!

Thanks for all the information you have given us. It sure helps so much.

donna merrill recently posted…3 Ways To Pump Up Your BlogMy Profile

Hi Donna, thank you I do come on when I feel up to it in mainly use the voice activation – it is great to as it keeps me from getting bored and climbing the walls :) do you use the hang out a lot? That is something I have not done a lot of myself. It sure sounds like you love this network Donna. It does appear to on some marketers backburner. It will be interesting to see how many new users come to this network in 2015. Have a great new week Donna!

• Reginald Chan says:

Nice article and thanks for sharing dear friend! For me, Google+ is a twin edged blade. If I have to decide, it would be around 70% SEO and 30% social media site.

Like today, Google decided to slit Photos and Streams seperately just shows that it is desperate to grab real users trying to engage on G+.

We will all be using G+ as long as there is Google dominating the search. But do remember that FB, Twitter and LinkedIn are very close-by.

Cheers!

Hi Reginald, you are welcome. I like your 70/30 breakdown of Google Plus. That seems about right. I agree on never putting all your eggs in one basket via social media. Have a great new week and thanks for stopping by!

• Hey Lisa,

Your back and I hope you are feeling better now after your accident! I know you were really inching to come back and felt like you were missing all of the blogging action.

When users first look to Google+, they are pretty confused on how it all works and come together. It’s a good thing that you related the Google+ features with the Facebook features since its pretty come for people to use Facebook a lot more.

But yes there are many benefits to Google+. I’m said to say, but I just figured out how to do a mention on Google+ :(.. it’s bit different since on Facebook the name tends to pop up as oppose to Google+ you have to add the ‘+’ sign and then the name. So I’ve been making sure that I put this into practice each time I share a post!

Great share Lisa and talking about these basics, comparing them to Facebook features will definitely uplift the confusion with a lot of people!
    Sherman Smith recently posted…5 Common Power Words You Need To Instantly Put Your Blog Audience To ActionMy Profile

Hi Sherman, and I really still am itching with the cast. I had this post writen it in my head before the accident so I had to use the voice activation to get it down and kept me from being bored from lots of rest.
      Excellent point about using the plus sign before a person’s name. I think comparing it to Facebook does help since most people are most familiar with the Facebook network. I hope it does lift the confusion of the Google+ Network. Thank you for coming by and have a great new week!

• Brian ( from bbrian017)

I would say to Google Plus is both a social networking site and a source of SEO enrichment. Social media is an important factor for search engine rankings. One of the ranking factor is social media signals. We can all assume that Google+ signals will be a valuable part of that.

Other than that, it’s a great place for networking and communicating with people. Communities are really helpful unlike Facebook groups.

Thanks for sharing such an informative post.
    Brian ( recently posted…Sion Sono’s TOKYO TRIBE to be released in the UK + New Poster ArtworkMy Profile

Hi Brian I would agree. I believe you have spent a lot of time on there and I see you do the hangouts as well, something I haven’t done a lot of. Thanks for your input and coming by. You are most welcome!

• CarolB

Hey Lisa, thanks for the explanations. Although I am on Google+, I admit I am still trying to figure out how to best use it.
    So sorry about the snowmobile accident. Hope you mend quickly!
    CarolB recently posted…7 Sure-Fired Sites Worth The Drive To Valley of Fire State Park, NevadaMy Profile

Hi Carol you are welcome. It certainly takes time to learn how to use the Google Plus network. Its like most other networks you have to spend some time before you see any results. Thank you I am very lucky that I didn’t have more permanent injuries. Hope you have a great new week ahead there.

• Brenda Lee

Yeah! She’s back! I’ve never used voice activation to write a blog post, only texting. Was it pretty accurate?

As for your post, thanks first of all for the mention. G+ is very hard to explain. I’ve been trying to spend more time on there and build more interaction. I do find it difficult though. Facebook is definitely a lot easier. Maybe because FB is more friends that business acquaintances? I do have a personal profile as well as a brand page for JLAFW that I continue to try and build. I do like G+ better now that I did when I was first on it. I think it just takes time understand it and time to build your communities.

A fabulous post Lisa. I’m definitely passing it along.

P.S. Sending love to you from Delaware.

B
    Brenda Lee recently posted…You Know You’re A Grown Up When…..My Profile

Hi Brenda I’m sorta back I had this post in my head before the accident- instead of getting bored laying around so each day I did a little at a time. The voice activation is pretty accurate most of the time.
      You are welcome you are always so good at answering questions on the Facebook pages: I think it is because you have more friends on Facebook and people do spend more time there as well. I sometimes find the quality better though at Google Plus if it’s more on technical type stuff. It definitely takes time as I’m sure if Facebook did too when it first came out. It’s been around so long we are so familiar with it now
      Thanks Brenda, hope you are not getting too much snow, another 4″ here now with more overnight.

• Enstine Muki

Oh oh sorry to hear that my dear friend.
    Yes I have note seen you around for a while and I couldn’t think it was accident. I pray you heal soon my dear friend.

This is a good post to send to someone who ask to know what Google plus is all about. A few days ago, I was with a young blogger who knew nothing else apart from Facebook and Twitter. I had no time to explain Google plus to her so I think I have here something for her 😉

Once more, get well soon Lisa 😉
    Enstine Muki recently posted…My client wants to publish on your blog for $100 per post!My Profile

Hi Enstine, thanks, slowly but on the way.
      That’s why I had this post in my head before the accident. I kept getting blank stares when the Google+ network came up. People were not familiar with it or understood what they were seeing in the search results. I hope this will help people to better understand the Google Plus network and what it also does for their SEO efforts. Thanks for coming by and have a great week ahead Enstine.

Good to have you back, though you should be resting still after all that you’ve gone through. We wish you a speedy recovery :)

Coming to the post, yes – it can be pretty tough to explain about yet another social network, which is comparatively new as compared to the popular ones like Facebook and Twitter, and it’s not everyone’s cup of tea (G+).

I guess because I was on it right when it started, it was all very easy as you learn along. And it takes you a while to learn your way, but that’s the same with any social media platform. This infographic says it all, along with your post. Yes, communities are a great help, though I’ve still to try out the Hangout feature from the list.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Take care and get well soon :)
    Harleena Singh recently posted…Live Your Best Life In The BEST WayMy Profile

Hi Harlena, I’m still resting quite a bit but needed to do something from getting bored your last post was in my head prior to the accident.
      I guess it is that way with any new network and many people are afraid to try new things or to have to learn something new. Thank you for coming by and for your input. I hope you have a great new week ahead…..

• Lisa sorry for the injury and great to know that you will soon be done with the surgery. I know what it feels to dislocate a bone but for fracture I haven’t been there and don’t pray to experience it. Happy that you were at least able to do some little writing. Yes even if its with the aid of voice activation tool.
    On my own have been quite busy with my job and haven’t heard enough time to focus on blogging hope to remedy that soon.
    As regard your post I concur that Google plus is both as I have seen my pics still appear on Google search despite the deactivation of this feature on official google search
    Peter kanayo recently posted…16 Epic Website To Drive Traffic To Your Food BlogMy Profile

Hi Peter thank you. Me too thanks to voice activation tools – helps keep my mind going too. Do you mean your own photo Or do you mean pictures you posted on the Google Plus network itself? Thanks for coming by and commenting on this post -have a great new week ahead.