Interconnecting Your Social Media Accounts – Good or Bad?

Interconnecting Your Social Media Accounts – Do You?

social media accounts

Do you notice how many people share their content on various social networks and link their social media accounts together? One of my pet peeves are the ones who share only Facebook updates on their Twitter updates. Twitter has made many of them look better now as they link directly to the link – unless it’s a Facebook post itself. Then if users are not sharing these posts publicly you won’t be able to see them – makes them kinda of useless, no?

Which Social Media Accounts Work Well Together Sharing?

Facebook and Instagram. When you share an image on Instagram you can choose Facebook to share to. It shows right up in your Facebook stream and your friends can like and comment. This type of sharing can take your friends back to Instagram where they can like your image too. A win-win scenario.

EBay and Twitter. Just tweet out your eBay listing and the image shows in the tweet! Very sweet! Great for the holiday sales.

Check out Ready to Go HelOTC Touch Control #Helicopter by Griffin / Batteries #Griffin http://t.co/lAB1f5UPSA via @eBay — Lisa (@Lisapatb) November 22, 2014    Etsy and Twitter. When someone shares an Etsy post you can click on view pic and see the item nicely. Another great way to feature your Etsy items. This also works nicely in the Facebook feed.

— Ann Tollette (@annimae9) November 25, 2014

Pinterest and Facebook. When you share a Pinterest Pin and choose Facebook it shows right in your Facebook feed where others can see, like and comment. This also allows those Facebook friends and followers to like and share your pin back over at Pinterest. This is another example of  how interconnecting some social media accounts work very well together.

Instagram and Tumblr. – You can easily share your Instagram pics on Tumblr too and they show up right in your Tumblr stream. It’s so easy to do and looks great too. Another win-win combo.

The BufferThe Buffer. If you are using the Buffer to share posts/info on your social media accounts – it is easy to change some of them. You can change some shares to quotes and mix up the verbage prior to the link so each channel will have a slightly different message. (The same for Hootsuite and other social management sites). That is a great way to mix things up on your social media accounts as your share the same links or info across the channels.

Which Social Media Accounts Do Not Play Nice Together?

Twitter and Pinterest. I’m not a fan of sharing too many Pinterest pins on Twitter. You have to take the extra step and click on them to see them. They are NOT displayed in the feed as they are on Facebook.  BUT this I thought was a clever idea from a friend of mine. She used Twitter to thank me for a pin on Pinterest.

You Tube and Twitter. – YouTube does not like to play nicely with other social media accounts. They (Google) want everyone to be on YouTube not on the other social media accounts. That is unless of course you are sharing on Google+ (another Google product). Google may be smart to keep us on their products only!

Facebook and Twitter. As I mentioned above this is not my favorite combo as you cannnot see the Facebook posts in your Twitter stream – it takes another click to maybe see them or to visit the link. (It would be better at least if Twitter allowed a photo from the post or link). Besides if I wanted to be on Facebook I’d be on Facebook and not Twitter, right?

Which social media accounts do you share together?

Do you only share those accounts together that work well together or do you share them all together to save time?

32 Responses to Interconnecting Your Social Media Accounts – Good or Bad?

• Mustafa Gaziani says:

It’s my first visit on your blog. I come across to your blog through twitter. I just saw you had re-tweeted my post on twitter.
    Come to the point. The post you’ve shared with us really an interesting one. Pinterest and facebook combinantion is one of the best among all of them. Also, it depends on choice. Either to go with this or not.

Thanks for sharing :) I’ll gonna visit your blog again for more interesting post.

-Mustafa

• Irish Carter

I have no idea but I would never have matched ebay with twitter but now it makes total sense. Plus facebook and instagram. Boy, did I have it all wrong. My brain wanted to match instagram with pinterest and I didn’t even have one with ebay. This is great helpful info Lisa. Thanks for helping us to wrap our heads around it a little better. I tend to market market market and the sites that I feel make me work extra hard to get reach I tend to refuse to go above and beyond….like facebook. I stayed away as much as I could for a long time. Now, I stopped fighting the fight because I want to stay engaged and connected with others that I enjoy communicating with. Why let facebook win, right?

Irish
    Irish Carter recently posted…Why Many Great Online Influencers are Not Always on Those Top 100 Lists!My Profile

• Ryan Biddulph

I link up sparingly thru social accounts because I care not to overshare. Ditto on your twitter-FB thing. Some networks lend themselves to frequent sharing, or connecting accounts, while others do not. Play around with each site.

I am still a hyper tweeter at times but I also tend to space updates out, so the sometimes Pin sent to twitter may not be all that much. Slamming your FB feed with tweets is the quickest way to lose a gazillion friends, and to find yourself in Facebook’s dog house lol…..nice breakdown here Lisa.

Have a fun week!

Ryan
    Ryan Biddulph recently posted…Why Gollum Should Be Your Blogging Role ModelMy Profile

Lisa -This is a great guide for connecting social media accounts. Believe it or not, I still don’t know how to use Pinterest. I don’t know how to upload a picture to my wall. I have a Buffer account but don’t really use it. I will now that I see the benefits.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
    Lauren recently posted…Do You Feel Like You’re Blogging In An Evening Gown?My Profile

• Akaahan Terungwa

Basically, the idea of interconnecting social media accounts is to save time and increase productivity. However, this must be done right because many messages that we pass daily on social media aren’t at all suitable for the various accounts we may run. Personally, only my Pinterest account is linked to FB.

Do you cross link your accounts all the time?

Always,
    Terungwa
    Akaahan Terungwa recently posted…Free eBook On How To Make Money Online In Nigeria: My [Early] Christmas Gift To NigeriansMy Profile

• Carol Amato

Hey, Lisa,

Thank you so much for the heads up, excellent article on interconnecting social media accounts, which I do not do at this time. I do use Buffer, however it’s only connected with Twitter.(Now I am doubting myself, and I have to go check… lol)

I usually choose the manual route because I feel it is more personal, and if I don’t have time for something that I feel is mundane or too time-consuming, I’ll delegate that task to my VA.

Definitely sharing this with my friends, Lisa, because I think it’s value packed.

Yes, We did have a wonderful Thanksgiving, thank you – so blessed!

I’ll be talking to you soon,
    – Carol
    Carol Amato recently posted…5 Tips To Keep The Content FlowingMy Profile

I’m glad I don’t do this. I don’t interlink any of my social sites together. I keep them all separate although I might share some of the same information on different platforms. Of course if they go together then I will but they don’t always do.

I’ve seen some of the interconnecting and you’re right, they definitely don’t all play well with each other. Especially if they’re mentioning something in particular about one site yet sharing it on a totally different platform.

Every once in awhile I’ll use Buffer to share on some of the sites other than Twitter but only if I know I’m going to be away and can’t manually do it myself. I don’t like to do everything automated these days but some I definitely do. Hard to be everywhere right!

Thanks for pointing this out and let’s see how many people actually take your advice here.

Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and you’ve enjoyed your weekend. Take care and talk to you next week.

Adrienne recently posted…How Blog Commenting Can Help Your Blog ThriveMy Profile

Hi Adrienne, Oh yes, I know you are good about this one! I love using the Buffer Adrienne and the way you change them quickly by making them into quotes. I do use the Buffer on most days. I think Hootsuite offers that option as well. I’ll be curious too if some take the advice to change up their posting and not be like robots.
      It was good Adrienne – better than I anticipated, thanks – I hope yours was good too. It is so hard to believe December is here. I’ll be glad when it’s January :)
      Lisa recently posted…Interconnecting Your Social Media Accounts – Good or Bad?My Profile

This is my first time to your blog and I came to know via your comment at Adrienne’s blog post. Nice to meet you here.

Quite interesting topic you have discussed here. Interconnecting social media accounts is a good option and it automatically put updates on other social network.

Even, I have interconnected my each social networks. Pinterest with Facebook and Twitter. Twitter with Facebook, Linkedin with Twitter. And it works fantastic.

Thanks for sharing with us. Have a lovely weekend!

• donna merrill

Wow..are you giving me a great education lately! Right now my Facebook is linked to Twitter. Hmmmm Sometimes I use Pagemodo and link to my Facebook Page, Twitter and Linked in.

I don’t use Pinterest, but oh boy do I have to get my game on Instagram. I’m trying to play more on that platform. I see it is of great potential, especially with marketing. I’m still learning on my off times lol

Best take away here is to use Buffer to choose what to post and where!

Thanks again,

donna merrill recently posted…Luck Is Not The Same As SuccessMy Profile

Hi Donna, I sure try. You are not alone in that. It is easy to set up but once you see it in action you may realize it doesn’t work well together. YES – you got it Donna, use the BUFFER, – you can choose quote and change the way you share on post quite easily. You are welcome. Thank you for coming by Donna and for taking the time to comment too. I hope you having a great weekend!

• Hey Lisa,

Thanks for sharing these combination. Right now I have Twitter linked to Facebook. I know, I know, that’s not your favorite combo but these are the two social media sites I use the most. Whenever I tweet a blog post in Twitter it shows in Facebook. Sometimes it doesn’t go all the way through as far as the image, but for the most part it does. For now this is fine but possibly in the future I’ll look at the other ways! Thanks for sharing and I hope you’re having a great Thanksgiving!
    Sherman Smith recently posted…Should Network Marketers Use Online Attraction Marketing Systems?My Profile

I use Buffer primarily to share other people’s stuff and sometimes quotes. I like the fact that I can pick and choose as to which accounts I share to and all from one dashboard.

I mostly share to Twitter from Buffer but I do also share to other networks if I think it’s appropriate. For sharing my own stuff, I use CoSchedule.

I haven’t interconnected accounts other than that. As I’m mostly on Twitter, I suspect I may not until I decide to get back into any of the other social media networks again.
    Tim Bonner recently posted…Do You Follow Bad Blogging Advice Or Take Your Own Path?My Profile

• Brian Hawkins

I agree, Facebook and Twitter don’t mix well. We see people’s tweets auto-posting to Facebook and it looks horrible. It’s funny though, I haven’t been seeing that so much lately and I bet it’s because Facebook isn’t letting us see it.

I did think Twitter and YouTube worked well because you can see and play the video right on your Twitter stream. It’s like embedded there.

I’ve also noticed the both SoundCloud and Slideshare play well with Twitter. Their not really social networks but I thought I’d toss that in.
    Brian Hawkins recently posted…Optimizing Your High Value Content For Leads And ProfitMy Profile

Hi Brian, yes I so agree! It drives me crazy as it barely makes any sense. I bet you are right on that – that Facebook is NOT letting us see it. I haven’t seen all of the YouTube video’s embedded, I wonder if it is certain ones or all? Thanks for letting me know and adding those other two as well. I do like Slideshare and can’t believe I haven’t made a new one this year, time is flying by Brian. Thanks for coming by and sharing, have a great Sunday!

• Brenda Lee

Fabulous article Lisa!

I’m so glad you broke down the good and the not so good. I love posting directly from WP to my networks. Instagram and Tumblr do work very well together. Love how the pictures come over for sure. I also like posting from my FB page to Twitter. Pinterest to FB is awesome as well, although I don’t use Pinterest often enough. Just not enough time to utilize all the networks.

Thanks for sharing this Lisa! Happily passing it along!
    Brenda Lee recently posted…Do You Worry About Side Effects of Prescription Drugs? (A Follow Up)My Profile

Hi Brenda, thank you. That’s a great addition to this post – using the WP directly as well. That’s the FREE version correct? If the images show – that’s great! I have to change my own setting on the Inspire FB page so it doesn’t do that anymore. I forgot til the other day I did hook it up in the beginning. You sure are correct about time – never enough time to utilize all these networks. Have a great Wednesday and Thanksgiving day tomorrow GF!
      Lisa recently posted…Interconnecting Your Social Media Accounts – Good or Bad? My Profile

• Adrian Jock

After reading the headline, my answer was… “Facebook… Twitter… Baaad”. Wrong answer. Actually incomplete… Your article reminded me that I should share some of my pins on Facebook. Thank you! :)
    Adrian Jock recently posted…How I Increased the Reach of a Tweet by 23,810%My Profile

Hi Adrian, you – only reading headlines? I somehow don’t believe that :) Yes, Pinterest works well with Facebook. It can take people back over to Pinterest and connect there too! You are welcome. Have a great day and rest of the week!

• Adrian Jock

Lisa, I haven’t read only the headline, did I say that? :)

After reading the headline and before reading the article, I answered the question from the headline. Just an exercise. Then I’ve read the article. The article, not the headline, reminded me that it’s fine to share the pins to Facebook – that part of my previous comment was supposed to suggest that… yes, I have read your article, not only the headline. The simple truth is that I don’t use Pinterest so frequently and your article was a good reminder to me. That’s why I thanked you.

Actually after reading your article, I shared my first pin on Facebook and it looks fine. And I thank you once again. Did I clarify it now? :)
        Adrian Jock recently posted…MadMimi, a Cheaper but Professional Alternative to AWeberMy Profile

• Kita says:

I am guilty of sharing what’s on my facebook right on twitter. I do this because I don’t want people to miss anything and do it at different times throughout the day. I have been debating if I should separate the two but I have gotten lazy :( Great article though and I forgot all about posting directly to tumblr from instagram. I need to utilize tumblr a bit more.
    Kita recently posted…Black Friday DealsMy Profile

• Rohan Bhardwaj

Wow, superb article. You made me choose the best of the social networks. Linking up social network is nice as we can share the posts to multiple audience on two different platform.

I had only used twitter and facebook, it was an okay experience for me.

Now, my move is to go for instagram and facebook, need some vibe in instagram.

Pinterest is really great and I use it, only sometimes I let it to post to facebook. Let’s see how my journey goes. Thanks for the guidance Lisa.

Take care.
    Rohan Bhardwaj recently posted…Do Your Evergreen SEO In 3 WaysMy Profile

Hi Rohan, Thank you. Do you share your FB posts via Twitter as well? It works much better with FB and Instagram and Pinterest. I’m not sure why Twitter doesn’t allow FB posts in the stream – but maybe they fear less people will remain engaged on Twitter and they would probably be right about that. It’s like Google keeping their products to themselves for the most part. Thanks for coming by Rohan and have a great rest of the week.