Are These 5 Things Really Annoying You In Your Twitter Feed?

Twitter Feed5 Things That Are Annoying in the Twitter Feed

Do you jump onto Twitter somedays and really get annoyed with tweets in your stream? There are days I do and wonder – what are they thinking? Or are some folks just using automation 100% and not really there on the network to see what their tweets really look like?  Here are the 5 things I find annoying in my Twittter feed.

Twitter Feed Facebook Posts – Why do some people on Twitter only tweet out their Facebook posts? Isn’t that the most annoying thing to see in your Twitter Feed? (or is it just me?) You can’t see their Facebook post links unless you are logged into Facebook most of the time (unless their posts are set to public.) It’s a waste of time and a reason to unfollow someone or mute them out. If we wanted to be on Facebook we would be there and not on Twitter, right?

Horoscopes for Today – Do you really want to read horoscopes in your Twitter feed? These are another automated tweet or FB feed that gets into our Twitter stream. Another No-No annoyance!

Seeing Favorited Tweets – This is a new feature Twitter is testing out. This is where users are seeing tweets that have been favorited by accounts they follow in their own timelines. What do you think of this new Twitter feature?

Posts With Only @ – Have you seen these too? That’s all that’s in the posts. They are like mentions but with no words, rhyme or reason. What is the purpose of these types of tweets other than to mention someone? It would be okay if it was TY, YW or a short question with them. It’s a very lazy tweet.

Flooded Tweets – Every see a new peep tweet out the same thing multi times within a short period of time? It is usually self-promotion and can get annoying on your feed. A great time to use the new mute button.

Twitter Feed – Which is Your Favorite?

There are several ways you can view your Twitter feed today, which do you prefer?

• Home
  • Photos/Video
  • Lists
  • Favorites.

When I get annoyed with my feed I prefer to use lists. There are folks on Twitter who really know how to tweet and the lists can be a breath of fresh air. I rely on my lists most of the time when going on Twitter. It really narrows down my focus for being there. You  can grab my FREE new eBook to learn more about using Twitter lists.

5 Tips to Maintain a Healthier Twitter Feed

are-you-maintaining-a-healthy-twitter-feed_53c7ee93d4d7d_w1500

What annoys you in your Twitter feed? How do you maintain a healthy Twitter feed?

Top image of annoyed woman is courtesy of jesadaphorn at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

49 Responses to Are These 5 Things Really Annoying You In Your Twitter Feed?

• Parth Patel

Wow , great infographic .
    By the way yeah I too get annoyed because of my friends whom I follow in twitter . They set automatic sharing of facebook posts in twitter so everytime I get to see those already seen posts which is really irritable . But what to do , as they are my friends so I can’t unfollow him. But I too use twitter for sharing my posts so its like the way bloggers use .
    Parth Patel recently posted…Amazing things you can do after rooting your android phoneMy Profile

• Sue Price

I am not very regular with Twitter. I use it to syndicate people and not much more except for thanking and interacting that way. I go straight to the mentions and that is about it. If I focused on it and was a twitter expert like you the things you mentioned would annoy me for sure.

Reading your post is making me think I really should use Twitter more.

Thanks

Sue
    Sue Price recently posted…Online vs Brick and Mortar BusinessMy Profile

Hi Sue, Oh that’s why. I use Twitter more than other social network – but not as much since I haven’t been online as much of late. I love the mobile site too as that makes it easy to at least check in and see notifications. If you do use it more be sure to take advantage of lists Sue, they are the best!! I hope your weekend is going well there. Thank you for coming by and contributing to this one.
      Lisa recently posted…4 Quick Facts About Googlebot and What It Does To Your BlogMy Profile

I practically never check the Twitter feed. I mainly find self-promotion and other stuff that makes no sense to me. I check notifications and respond in kind, but mainly I use Triberr as well. It’s too time consuming and fast paced to see ‘everything’ I don’t get annoyed with Twitter because I know what to expect. Although they say ‘business’ wise it’s the greatest, I don’t see it or get it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. I’m with you. Many annoying things about it so it is not my focus for social media except as it relates to Triberr and notifications.

Good info. Thanks.
    Barbara

Hi Barbara, Sometimes it is nice to see the feed during breaking news stories or major events. It’s not all self promotion but there are still many who do that too. I love Triberr, it’s a great news feed too for bloggers. I use lists a lot on Twitter to stay focused either on local folks, bloggers, friends, etc. It’s a great way to use Twitter to see the best of Twitter. Thanks for coming by Barbara and hope you have had a great weekend!

• Hey Lisa,

I finally made it to your blog post!

As you know I took a couple of weeks off from blogging and now I’m back in action. But one thing that I really like is that I’m able to still communicate with my blogging friends through twitter!

I haven’t really notice the tweets that you mentioned since my main focus is on bloggers in the online marketing niche, but I definitely take note. I like the idea of building lists so i can just focus on blogging and online marketing. I’m going to have to look into this more!

Thanks for sharing and I hope you’re having a great week!
    Sherman Smith recently posted…How Being Relatable To Your Blog Visitors Is The Majority Of The SaleMy Profile

• Hey Lisa, I totally agree with you. I don’t know about all but there are many people who are tweeting rubbish. They are thinking that it is meaningful tweet but for us, it is just forcing to mute them. Well if I talk about automated facebook post tweets than it is saving lots of my time. Whenever I want to share something with people, all I have to do is post at a single place and it will automatically post on twitter and facebook simultaneously. There is nothing wrong with it, if people are posting meaningful and informative things.
    Brijesh Gohil recently posted…How to Play iOS Games on PC ?My Profile

Hi Brijesh, isn’t it awful to see that rubbish? But if you post from FB it must be set to public, is that how yours is set up? So many times I’m on Twitter and see a FB post – then it goes nowhere because it was set up not as public. Meaningful and informative things are the best for Twitter indeed. Thanks for your input Brijesh 🙂 Have a great week!
      Lisa recently posted…Why 11 Commenters Really Rocked it in August My Profile

• Ahmad Raza says:

Hi Lisa, I also get annoyed from random photos which i get in my news feed from some of my friends.. Is there any way to block them?

• Ellen M. Gregg

Hi, Lisa! 🙂

I don’t like seeing Facebook posts in my Twitter feed as much as I don’t like seeing Twitter posts in my Facebook feed. It makes no sense to me, unless someone is specifically sharing something from one stream to the other.

Of course, the way around that is to only follow the person on one network or the other. It’s just that they’re two completely different animals, so I figure they’re best approached differently. Maybe that’s just me. 😉

I hope you’ve enjoyed this beautiful August weekend! 🙂

• Rohan Bhardwaj

Interesting stuff, I haven’t experienced it till now, as I only follow people and not brands. The mentions without name is a very lazy act, sometimes people do this without realizing it also.

From the list, if I were too get annoyed from anything, it will be of facebook links. As you said, there isn’t much sense in doing so.

Any social media is subject to intensive promotion and automation, we just need to filter our feed and enjoy the experience.
    Rohan Bhardwaj recently posted…Running Is LifeMy Profile

• Emebu

Mi Lisa, I certain I am
    Even though I love gadgets, plugins and tools, at times they become boring and frustrating!
    I think Meshfire is a little bit different from most of the social media tools out there and integrates with Buffer too. I love Buffer so much I tell you.
    Emebu recently posted…6 Types of Blog Posts That Builds Your AudienceMy Profile

Ever since I started using Meshfire I don’t tend to look at my Twitter Feed any more. Any mentions I get are assigned to me as tasks so I go through each one individually and respond. I do also check my mention feed as well for favourites and some RTs though.

Meshfire also points out people I should engage with based on their demographics and I often use those suggestions as a starting point to get to know some of the people who are in my Twitter feed.

I’ve not seen the @ mentions or favourited Tweets yet but that would just clutter up my Twitter feed even more. It already travels at pace and I can barely keep up with it which is why I don’t tend to look at it!
    Tim Bonner recently posted…Blogging Communities: Are They Worth A Look?My Profile

Hi Tim, why you are using a lot of tools of late huh? I don’t remember reading on Meshfire. Something I’ll have to look at. It sounds similar to Hootsuite? I still prefer the Buffer as I recently signed up again for Hootsuite. Seeing the favorite tweets would be good Tim to know who is favoriting yours. Let me know if you did a post on Meshfire and please include the link. Thanks and have a wonderful weekend!
      Lisa recently posted…Are These 5 Things Really Annoying You In Your Twitter Feed?My Profile

• donna merrill

I usually check my mention page and work with that. I’m not very active on Twitter, but do try to keep up with things. When I look at my home page and see what some people are doing, I’m amazed!

I haven’t seen the @ thing yet lol. But sometimes as I scroll through from curiosity, I wonder what are these people doing?

But on the other hand, I got lucky a few days back. Gary Vernerchuk was giving out his free hard copy of his new book. He noted that the first 10 people would receive it! I won! Karma? Or a message I must pay more attention to Twitter? I really don’t know lol.

Great article and infographic Lisa!

donna merrill recently posted…Talking To The WorldMy Profile

• Ariffin Ariff says:

Definitely i prefer the list.
    BTW, those Facebook posts on Twitter likely because they use automated tools.
    Thank you for sharing your thought.

• Ravi Chahar

You know Twitter is full many people who usually do the work to irritate others.
    As you said when we follow anyone and he/she continues to tweet one single post many times in one day then it’s so annoying and we feel as why we followed such kind of person.

As you have mentioned above about horoscopes, I mean who is there on Twitter to see these kind of tweets? You are right people need to mute such type of users.

Providing educational, reliable and shareable content should be the aim of every user.

You have summed up these annoying things about Twitter in a good way.;)

Great post indeed.:)

Enjoy your week ahead.

~Ravi
    Ravi Chahar recently posted…How To Choose The Right WordPress Theme For Your New Website?My Profile

• Pankaj says:

I too use lists so that I get only what I’m interested in. There is huge noise in twitter feed and if you’re not using lists then you’ll get huge number of irrelevant and spam tweets.

And I totally related with your point, where I have noticed various twitter account who only share their Facebook posts. If you do it occasionally then its fine or else it going to annoy your followers.
    Pankaj recently posted…Travel Portal Software : IT FreelancingMy Profile

• Adrian Jock

I think that the idea of showing the favorites in the timelines is a very bad one. The reason is obvious to anyone but Twitter, so I won’t develop the topic.

I see only one advantage… There are marketers who use bots in order to favorite tons of other tweets, usually based on hashtags. The idea is to fool the original tweeps and make them follow these marketers. Didn’t you notice in your Notifications tab favorites from unknown people who don’t follow you? These are the marketers I’m referring to.

Well, when the followers of such a marketer will see in their timeline tons of favorites (1 per minute or even more), most probably they’ll unfollow that marketer. And hopefully these marketers will stop using this practice 🙂
    Adrian Jock recently posted…5 Marketing Mistakes to Avoid When Writing TweetsMy Profile

I haven’t seen a lot of Facebook shares on Twitter yet but I don’t really think that you should auto post your tweets to Facebook or the other way around. I think this is the lazy man’s way of doing things.

I haven’t had any issues with any of these things honestly accept the @mentions with only names and nothing else. I totally ignore them although I’m trying to figure out why they tweeted that in the first place. Did they mean to say something but forgot? This one friend of mine does it all the time but he puts a period and then everyone’s name. He’s not saying or tweeting anything.

As you know I do have a pet peeve with Twitter that I wrote about. Just to share again here it’s when I tweet something out to say 10 of my friends and one person will tweet back addressing only me yet leave everyone’s name in the tweet. If you’re just talking to me then take all of those names out. There has been a conversation the last 2 days going between several girls who left my Twitter ID in the pile but they aren’t talking to me and it’s a waste of the little time I have now to go through them all to make sure.

I guess we’ll always have something to complain about right!

I agree, cute infographic and spot on. Now if only we could some how just know which tweets are in which category and then put them into lists accordingly. Wow, wouldn’t that be awesome.

Great share Lisa, thanks and hope you’re enjoying your week. Have a good rest of your afternoon.

Adrienne recently posted…How To Create Loyal Readers That Will Trust And Love YouMy Profile

Hi Adrienne, you sure are lucky not to see those on your feed. It certainly is lazy! I look mostly at my mentions too but a few days a week I do glance at my main feed to see if anything different is out there. It makes it interesting. Oh yes, that was an interesting pet peeve and I’m trying to be careful of not doing that one anymore Adrienne, thanks to you! You could probably do that Adrienne but it would take a lot of time to put them into lists. I do it with new followers or people I begin to follow so I don’t get behind on working on my lists. I do rely heavily on them daily. Thanks for coming by and for your feedback. Do have a wonderful Thursday.

I agree with you about the Twitter feed. I had some crazy stuff pop up on my feed with my old handle. The good thing about my new handle is I’m more selective about who I follow versus when started I was just learning the ropes and would follow anyone. :)..

I like the pics and quotes most of all but overall I do love me some Twitter :).

Thanks for sharing this infographic. This helps me take a mini self quiz to make sure I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing :).

Great post, as usual! I agree with Debbie you are the Twitter guru hun! Happy Wednesday!
    Corina Ramos recently posted…Four Cool Things We Can Learn From Our TeensMy Profile

Hi Corina, Oh yes, being selective sure helps too. I go through mine every few months to double check as well. I think pics and quotes add a little something to the stream. Keeps it interesting. You are welcome Corina. Do you use FB with Twitter? I don’t believe I’ve seen you do that one. I think I had it set up on my FB page and must remember to ditch it! Have a wonderful Thursday as another week flies by us Corina.

• Carol Amato says:

Your title is catchy, and I had to see if those five things (whatever they were) actually DID annoy me… 😉

No, it is NOT just you – I don’t like social media network sharing on other networks – it’s confusing and doesn’t help anything, in my opinion. The other day, I was trying to figure out why I could not like Gladys’ post on Facebook, and only had the share option. I kept going back to her business page and then her personal profile to make sure she was a friend to me…

Drove me nuts. Then, I found out she had shared a Twitter status on Facebook, and that’s why I could only share it. At least that’s my understanding of it, who knows if I’m wrong. But I don’t like spending time to try to figure stuff like that out… LOL

Can’t stand horoscopes – not interested, but I don’t mind the Favorited tweets.

Don’t care for the @ only posts, makes no sense to me.

Forgot about the new mute button, Lisa, so thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for sharing this – It was a great article! 🙂

– Carol

Hi Carol, I agree – the only time I may use 2 networks at once is via Pinterest. I may share on Facebook or Twitter but mostly Facebook since the images show up nicely on the Facebook feed. But I do it with caution and thought. Oh yes, the mute button can come in handy at times or the unfollow button 🙂 Thanks for coming by and sharing your input on this one Carol. Have a wonderful day ahead!

• Debbie

Hi Lisa; You are the Twitter Guru, for sure. I’ve been using it for a couple of years now and still can’t say I understand it all. My program of choice is Hootsuite and like Harleena, I mostly check mentions and interact from there, but check the stream every now and then and haven’t found anything too annoying. Sometimes spammers will try to engage me and I just report and block those. I’ve tried to simplify my online life a bit by adding favourite blogs to Twitter Feed, (including yours), that way every new post gets tweeted right away. Good idea in practice, but, it backfired on me recently. There isn’t always time to read every post and I missed one where somebody featured me. That was a little embarrassing, but on the other hand, if I plan to feature someone I ask them first and then let them know when the post is live. Oh well! Haven’t really done anything with lists and I’m still figuring out hashtags. LOL
    Debbie recently posted…SAVING LIVES WITH ORGAN TRANSPLANTSMy Profile

Hi Debbie, LOL, thanks. I was wondering how that happens when others tweet my latest posts when I hit the publish button. I knew there was sort of program for that. Thanks for sharing that one. I’ve had that happen where I missed a post by someone who featured me too – most times people will either ask or they will tweet you when it’s live. I’ve done it both ways myself. Lists are the best Debbie. Start one and you’ll see. I love using them for so many things. Thanks for coming by and have a wonderful day ahead.

• Bren Lee

Here goes my Twitter Queen again! LOL I like interacting on Twitter when I can. It seems though anymore that all people are doing is sharing links. That gets annoying to me. I understand people are busy but when you mention someone and they never acknowledge you, I have a problem with that. I like seeing some photo’s but not a lot. As far as Favorite’s, I like seeing them in my mentions feed on my phone and webapp. I don’t see any of that when using Hootsuite though. Twitter is still by far my favorite app and I get the most blog traffic from it and Facebook at second. I don’t know why Twitter continues to add more features. If it’s not broken, don’t change it. :mrgreen:

Thanks for this post gf. Gladly passing it along!

LOL, Hi Bren. I should come up with a graphic for that one. I get frustrated too if someone you mention over and over never acknowledges it – especially if they blog about “engagement” on social media (that gets me!) Really? I love the photo’s on Twitter – it makes it even quicker to view and scan. I wonder why favorites are not seen on Hootsuite? Great point, thanks for that one Bren. I hope they don’t continue to try to be like Facebook, if I wanted I’d be there and NOT on Twitter. Thanks for your input Bren and have a great day. It’s almost TGIF!

Yes, I saw that infographic just yesterday on Pinterest too and loved the way it was done up in a plate 🙂

Honestly speaking, I’ve not come across any annoying Twitter feed as such because I just check my mention page most of the time and take up the comments or replies from there. However, I have come across those tweets where perhaps you are only replied to, yet a few others are also tagged for no reason with their names and @. So, the word goes all over, even though it doesn’t relate to them, and it comes to me too, which I have to just ignore.

Other than that it’s weird messages off and on on posts others have RT, by people who aren’t on my list, trying to get on my list or making conversations, as they come on my mention feed too – again ignore or replying to them is an option you have.

I guess these are all the choices you make, and what you share, does have to be something your followers can relate to. So glad we are on triberr for that, which does have great posts most of the time.

Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week ahead 🙂
    Harleena Singh recently posted…Are You Worried About Your Blog’s Alexa RankMy Profile

Hi Harleena, I check my mention Twitter feed the most as well. But every so often I like to check the main feed to see if anything special is going on. That’s when I find some of those annoying things out there. Or if I get a new follower and check out their feed I may find some silly stuff too. And yes, thank goodness we have choices with the Twitter feed and what we can view or not though Twitter is rapidly making some changes on that. It will be interesting to see how far they do go with those changes. Thanks for coming by on this one and sharing how you use Twitter. Have a great day Harleena!