Why Blog Now?
“Why blog now?” someone I know with a website recently asked me this. They went on to ask “I don’t ever seem to have anything to say, and not sure why anyone would want to read it… just how would it benefit me?” Well I thought those questions could be better explained here in a post. These 2 friends of mine, Mike and Beth, have a really nice website showcasing websites that they have created that are mobile ready. They can update old websites and make them mobile ready. Their website is called Easy Does It Media.
So their website is more of a service website than an e-commerce store. I could easily see them adding a blog now to their website. Could you? You may have remembered the infographic I shared of why so many are blogging today back in October. Here are my current 12 reasons why they and you (if you haven’t already) should blog now.
12 Great Reasons To Start That Blog Now
1. You Will Learn A Lot – And Develop New Skills. You cannot believe how much you will learn once you start to blog. From writing skills to technical skills that are required to blog. From choosing which format blog you will go with after doing the careful research, to learning how to create graphics, and formatting your own blog posts. It was all an incredible learning experience for me over 4 years ago now. Will you be ready to learn more?
2. It’s Like Building Your Resume – What a better way to showcase what you know and your abilities. I’ve read of several people landing new jobs via their blog. It surely makes sense. You can learn a lot about somebody from reading their blog.
3. It Gives You More To Share On Social Networks – Why share only boring sales pages and sales pitches? Offer them some valuable content and you will see the visits climb to your website as well. You may even find yourself engaging more with others on the social networks.
4. It Will Help Your Website’s SEO via Updates – Google loves websites that updated often. How can you update a service websites besides offering new services or testimonials? A blog would greatly increase updates and the website’s visibility on the web.
5. You Can Help Others – Through your content you can help others learn new things and make better decisions. Some will buy from you and others may not. You may find your readers may help you. This has happened to me many times over the years. It’s the wonderful two-way street of blogging.
6. You Can Increase Your Website’s Traffic and Sales – By blogging it does increase the visibility and possible sales from your site. Your website may even rank better in the search engines. You know being found organically is just awesome. (And not to rely on it as the algorithm changes all the time now.)
7. You Will Make More Connections and Friends – This was one benefit I was not aware of and found to be the most beneficial – meeting wonderful people and making good friends, some of whom I’ve got to meet in person.
8. You Can Become An Authority on Particular Topics – People may look to you as an authority on a topic. If Mike and Beth had a blog about mobile sites, the benefits, the ease of use, etc they could become an authority on that topic and more people would purchase via their website. They could share this knowledge from the posts on the social networks.
9. It Can Become a Journal – It can help your business look back and see where you were a year ago, etc. Just as mom bloggers journal their families, businesses can journal their business. It’s fun to look back!
10. You Can Inspire Others – You may inspire others to learn new things, try new things and much more. Your readers may also inspire you!
11. It Will Improve Your Writing Skills – If you think you can’t write, don’t fright. It will come with time. It is amazing to look back and see the progress of many bloggers over time. If you are really concerned you could take a class or learn from other online writers.
12. Enjoyment – You may come to enjoy it and find blogging to be therapeutic. You may not want to stop blogging, so beware!
One Reason Not To Blog Now
1. To Make Money – If you are going to blog now just to make money you can surely try but it won’t come fast or be easy. To make money blogging takes some time and patience along with a lot of hard work. I got into blogging for the retail websites so that the websites would be refreshed often and to offer value to the readers. This blog was started to help others navigate their online journeys. (It wasn’t started to make money – though I’ve slowly started to recently.)
What other advice would you offer to Mike and Beth for starting a blog now on their website?
Top Image courtesy of Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net