Why Are So Many Blogging Today?
Why So Many Blogging Today?
People are blogging more than ever before. Have you ever wondered why that is? In 2012 there were over 100 MILLION blogs. (updated via Cendrine) Wow, imagine we are one of 100+ million? Does that scare you? It shouldn’t. That number is even higher this year according to Cendrine it is around 44 million for WordPress alone and 59 million on Tumblr. Many of the blogs still online may be stagnant. Have you visited a blog recently to find they have NOT posted in months or even years? I find that more with FREE versions like blogger and some Tumblr blogs.
Reasons for Many Blogging Today
- To Make Money – Many people start out blogging to make money. Often many are surprised they do not make any money for months and quit blogging. Others try to do different things with their blogs until they do eventually start to make money.
- To Help Businesses Succeed Online – Many businesses realize they need blogging to aid their marketing efforts and be found online. It’s a great way to get to know their customer base yet only 60% of businesses now blog.
- Hobby – Some people start blogging as a hobby. That is how this blog Inspire to Thrive was born. I wanted to share info with a few friends who had websites and were calling me for more information. Check out the latest info now on SEO – this is BIG! Has your site been affected today with this algorithm change?
Penguin 2.1 launching today. Affects ~1% of searches to a noticeable degree. More info on Penguin:
— Matt Cutts (@mattcutts) October 4, 2013
- To Find Another Job – Many people today are looking for work. Blogging is a way to show future employers what you can offer them. It can lead to a whole other career for some. Imagine what a future employer can learn about you from your blog? It can show off more than a resume can or even what a cover letter could tell.
- To Have A Personal Journal – Many blogging like to share their personal journal. I remember Candice once said she blogged about her kids so when they grew up they would be able to read all about it. I wish I had started that years ago.
- To Spread Awareness – Many blogging today started to so for their cause. Many of you know Bren who now is saving dogs and cats from kill shelters with her Homeless in Delaware site. It is amazing to see how she has built upon her first blog. A cause can really fire up a blogger!
When Did You Really Become A Blogger?
The day I realized I became a blogger was just yesterday. I never have really considered myself one prior to this day. I felt more like a sharer. Sharing info that I learned working online. Yesterday I was doing work at my day job and glanced at the wordcount of a word document. “Oh my God” I thought, it wasn’t anything that needed to be counted (it was my vacation coverage coming soon) but my blogging instincts kicked in. Have you really become a blogger yet?
If you are in the 40% of businesses that are not yet blogging, check out this infograph below as to why you should consider blogging today.
What are your reassons for blogging today and does the number of bloggers scare you at all? Let me know how Google’s latest change has affected you too!
Top “Blog” Image courtesy of renjith krishnan at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
She has 20+ years experience in marketing/advertising with 5+ years experience blogging, social media and SEO. Get her new eBook Tweeting Like It's 2nd Nature Today!
Latest posts by Lisa (see all)
- Twitter Edits Will Make You Happy This Year Tweeting - January 9, 2017
- 9 Real Estate Agents Who Get Twitter Right Today - December 6, 2016
- How To Avoid Getting The Mute on Twitter Now - November 21, 2016