Hashtag Plugin to Increase Blog Visibility and Attract Followers

A Hashtag Plugin For Your Blog

#Hashtags are everywhere today – from Twitter to Google+ and now even Facebook. Would you like to add them to your blog posts and increase engagement and followers at the same time? A new plugin called #Hashcore now claims to do just that. I received an email from the company asking if I would review it. I thought why not? I will give it a try. You can use clickable hashtags in your content to display social media feeds on your website or blog. You will now see them here in this post and I tested it in my post on email marketing.

Why Get This New Plugin?

• Hashtags are the craze and can get your content discovered. Many people may search the social websites for words or phrases. They will search in Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, etc.
  • Hashtags may help SEO. There seems to be a debate on this subject. Most of the experts agree there is some value from hashtags for SEO. But I loved Jeff Bullas’s quote on hashtags:

“HashTags are Like Twitter SEO”

• If at the least it’s SEO for Twitter, that’s a plus in my book, yours too?
  • It is FREE. It’s in beta testing and there is no charge to sign up.
  • It’s easy to download and set-up. I was SO happy about that.
  • Bonus – You don’t need a WordPress blog or website, if you do not have WordPress Hashcore will send you a tag to implement in your code source. They originally had a bug in the Blogger format but that has since been fixed.

3 Easy Step How You Can Get The Hashtag Plugin

1. Register at their website Hashcore.com.
  2. Wait for the email from Hashcore with the product code. When you receive it just install the plugin or implement the code.
  3. Choose 1 or 2 words for the hashtag in your post and the plugin will do the rest!

What Will HashCore Look Like?

You hashtag word or phrases will be highlighted like a link and when clicked this is what will show up – You can see here I have used #InspireToThrive as my Twitter handle. I’m looking to expand my following there with this blog. The Hashcore plugin will only show the words you use the hashtag on, if you repeat the word it will not repeat the popup. The words must have the hashtag to show up like this below:

See more at their plugin website here. You can see there are not many folks yet using them as they are BRAND new. I can be a sucker for new things.  Other times I like to have it tested by others. This one really fascinated me as I just love #hashtags and of course Twitter.

4 Places To Find The Best Hashtags

Hashtagify.me – I love the name of this one. Not only can you find the top hashtags to use but you will find the top influences of them.  There is a free and paid version of this service.

Hashtags.org – This site organize’s the worlds hashtags and offers advice, forums, tweet chats and much more. A wealth of info can be found at their website including a dictionary. You can track your hashtags at a cost via their website – from $49 to $349 per month. I guess hashtags are important at those prices right?

Twubs – This one is great for chats and finding others in your niche. It also has info on events and TV with hastags. You can register a hashtag, get a customizable feed and get a branded page there. You may also embed a hashtag feed for your blog via Twubs. They have a great list of Twitter chats with the corresponding hashtags.

What The Trend.com – You can follow trends via country and register a hashtag there as well. You may vote for trends anonymously there.

I will follow up in a few weeks or month on the results of this plugin – will it increase engagement on this blog? Will it generate more followers on Twitter? I will give it some time to see how it does that. Remember, nothing good happens overnight. It’s like Triberr - it takes time to work it and get results. I have been assured and shown that this plugin does not take up space or speed, another bonus!

What do you think of this new plugin called Hashcore for hashtags?

Do you see value to in using it on your blog or website?

She has 20+ years experience in marketing/advertising with 4 years experience blogging, social media and SEO. Get her new eBook Tweeting Like It's 2nd Nature Today!

67 Responses to Hashtag Plugin to Increase Blog Visibility and Attract Followers

• Ellen M. Gregg

Very, very interesting, Lisa. I might give it a try on my healing blog, as it’s completely niche, which would be an asset, it seems to me. Thanks for the tip! I look forward to your follow-up post. :-)

• Pramod

Hi Lisa !
    This plugin is interesting and i wish best of luck to the developers . Automatically adding hashtags to the blog posts is a great idea and it would definitely work .And thanks for sharing those links Lisa , some of these links would help me get an idea of a new blog post .

-Pramod

• Carolyn

Hi Lisa, Very cool. I love trying new things too and #hashtags are only increasing in importance.

But if you don’t want to use #hashtags in the body of your article, is there any way to use this plugin? What would it do then?

Thanks for this great review!
    Carolyn recently posted…Samsung Galaxy Gear – The Latest Entry in the Smartphone WarsMy Profile

• Silviu

On the one hand I like to try new things, on the other hand it is always better when somebody else tries them first and tells you about. Like you did here.

My problem is to understand what happens. It seem that you choose a word from your post and the plugin will treat it like a twitter hashtag.

Then when somebody clicks on that word, the plugin connects with Twitter, searches for that word among twitter hashtags and brings you tweets related to that hashtag in a kind of popup. Am I right?

What I want to understand is the relationship between these words (hasthags) and the keywords in the respective blog post.
    Do you have to use the keywords for that blog posts as hashtags or you can choose different words? What is the strategy here?

Have a wonderful day.
    Silviu recently posted…What is your Favorite Online Community?My Profile

Hi Silviu, oh yes, there was a small glitch yesterday. (May do another post on beta). But it’s working now :) The developers have been fabulous with responsing to me. The comments with CommentLuv were not working and then the # were not, all is great now. Yes, you must put a hashtag on keywords in your post for it to be highlighted and when clicked you will see the others who talk of it on social networks. It’s really pretty neat and I’m glad I have it and tested it out. You can choose your own hashtags and that’s why I put in the info at the end how to find good ones – I hope that helps Silviu. Thanks for coming by, commenting and have a great day.
      Lisa recently posted…Hashtag Plugin to Increase Blog Visibility and Attract FollowersMy Profile

This sounds like a great plugin Lisa. I usually like to wait and here what others are saying about a product or plugin before I start using it but I just might give it a try. After all, hashtags are all the rave right now and it would be a great idea to have them placed within our post.

Thanks for sharing the other sites. I’ll have to check them out as well.

Hope you’re having a great day! Have a great new week!
    Corina Ramos recently posted…Monday Work from Home Job Lead MadnessMy Profile

Wow, a great post, and I really want to check this out as I love hashtags too.

The sites you’ve mentioned sound very attractive too and I’m so going to check them as well as I’m working very hard to increase my reach these days.

This post really came at the right time!

Thanks, Lisa :)
    Sylviane Nuccio recently posted…6 Ways To Plan Your Writing For More Valuable Blog PostsMy Profile

• Jeevan Jacob John

Hmm, this seems like a great plugin. It could help perhaps – like when mentioning a particular blog chat or event that we host?

But, other than that, I don’t see the purpose (It takes away visitors from our post pages, for not particularly useful). Perhaps it could help.

I do want to mention that the text wasn’t highlighted for me; there was no link here or in the other post. Can you take a look?

Anyways, thank you for the review, Lisa :)

• Theodore Nwangene

Hello Lisa,
    Happy new week. This is a very interesting post indeed as always :). I never knew there is a plugin that can perform this function.

From this post, it seems to be a very useful plugin that we will all need and, I’m going to check it out ASAP :).

Thnaks a lot for telling us about it and, do have a blessed weekend.
    Theodore Nwangene recently posted…Paid and Free Traffic: Which One Generates the Most Effective Results?My Profile

• Chasing Joy

This sounds interesting. You always know the latest and greatest info. :-)
    Chasing Joy recently posted…The Joy of Getting Powered Up!My Profile

• Saul Fleischman says:

There’s one problem with the concept: how are they suggesting hashtags? What makes one better than another…? Take a look at http://RiteTag.com yet? We do not offer a wordpress plugin yet – working on the Chrome extension first, but the plugin will be coming later. Let us know what you think, and whatever you do #reachbeyondyourfollowers

• Ashley says:

I love using hashtags as they really do spread your content for free. I monitor certain hashtags myself on twitter and see familiar faces posting there all the time – so just goes to show. This is an interesting plugin I will have to take a look at, thanks

• Sebastian Collorafi says:

Hi Everyone, I’m Sebastian from #HASHCORE

Thank you all for your interesting comments!

#HASHCORE is really a new way to bring up-to-date information to your articles – you can for example review a product and add hashtags related to it e.g. if you are writing a review about the new smartwatch from Samsung, you can add #GalaxyGear so your readers can instantly access the latest comments related to that product (Videos & Pictures social feeds coming soon!). Hashtags can also be used for real-time information about events, cinema, people etc.

Adding known related hashtags to your articles is key to bring the most relevant information, Lisa has kindly mentioned a few websites at the bottom of her article where you can find the trendiest hashtags.

If you want to know a bit more about what we do or have any feedback, please do not hesitate to contact me via our website.

Thanks again Lisa for your great review :wink:

• Susan Velez says:

I don’t really know that much about Twitter, but I hear so many people talking about hash tags. It looks interesting. Can’t wait to see how it helps you improve your traffic to your site.

I may have to sign up and begin using this method to help me get more traffic to my site. Thanks for sharing.
    Susan Velez recently posted…Flippin Websites Product Creation Update Progress ReportMy Profile

• Okto

Very interesting Lisa. I need some tips to increase my blog visibility in twitter. Looks like your post here is best alternative to try for.
    Okto recently posted…4 Possible Ways to Make Money With Facebook You May Not Know YetMy Profile

This does sound interesting :)

Never heard of Hardcore plugin earlier than today, and it does make sense if it can bring additional traffic to our blogs. Is it something like adding keywords to your posts with a # in-front of the keyword as such? Yes, just like Triberr and a lot of other new things, this would also take time till we get the hang of it. I shall look forward to how you use it and find it over the next few weeks.

Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week ahead :)
    Harleena Singh recently posted…Why Your Kids Will Never Amount to AnythingMy Profile

I was one of those that commented on Carolyn’s latest post and it said the box wasn’t checked that I was human. She had to put the comment in for me but I see your response to her that that particular issue has been resolved. Thank goodness, that wouldn’t have been good.

So as you know I’m still not a big hashtag user. I know that it’s even popular over on Facebook now but I’ve read a couple places that it’s really hurt the posts more then help. Probably because some people just really take it to the extreme.

I certainly don’t claim to know everything and you’re much more proficient I believe on Twitter then I am so you would know what works better then me. For now though I don’t think I’ll be installing this one. I personally don’t like things highlighted in the post itself. I also hate those links some people put in the middle of their posts to read more over here, etc. Urgggg I’m weird right?

Okay, that’s my spill and wanted to at least share my opinion. I think that’s cool that they asked you to review this one though and give your honest opinion. Way to go girl, bravo.

Hey, enjoy your day now.

Adrienne recently posted…Anti Backlinker: The Ultimate Spam BusterMy Profile

Hi Adrienne, yes the developers have been really great about fixing and being in touch (Like Andy from CommentLuv). Oh yes anytime taken to the extreme it makes it ineffective. I don’t mind seeing something when I scroll over as long as it doesn’t hide other things I’m reading and move around – especially on mobile. Weird, no. We arell are a little different or we would be awfully boring Adrienne. Thanks for coming by and sharing your opinion, have a wonderful day ahead.

Awesome! That’s something which will improve the interactivity on a blog :) I like how they allow users to mention their Twitter accounts too, so interested parties can follow them. I hope it won’t send readers out of the blog as it shows off tweets of other tweeps :)

I think it can be very effective if you really have a unique hashtag to be mentioned :) For example, to join a Twitter chat with a specific hashtag. Why not, good causes can be promoted very well in that way.

Anyway, I think bloggers need to make use of ‘em where necessary. Isn’t it? :) Gotta balance the use with other links. Even it’s based on JavaScript, it seems they are not much affected on page load time.

Did you check out PageSpeed report and found any mention about it? :)

Glad to hear it’s just not for WordPress Lisa. Wanna try it out on test blog and I think the interface can be improved very well. Way to go, eh? :)

You have a GREAT week dear :)

Mayura recently posted…Sharing on Google+ Made Automated in BloggerMy Profile

• Babanature says:

Hello Lisa,
    This plugin really do sound nice and it is worth the try as well ;)
    I am bad at using hashtags, but my feedburner do provide me harshtags when posting my tweets to twitter…
    Seriously, i should try the plugin on my other blog and see how my findings go. Thanks for showing all of us this wonderful new plugin.
    Babanature recently posted…Top 50 Active Blogs With Commentluv EnabledMy Profile

• Barbara Charles

I;m glad you wrote this article as I am really not understanding anything about hashtags. I just don’t get it. Your article helped to clarify a little for me. I mean, I know what they are but not sure how to use them effectively. Thanks for the info and I can check it out more and hopefully learn how to use them well.

Thanks
    Barbara

• Susan Neal

This looks very interesting, but like Adrienne, I’m not that keen on putting hashtags in the body of my posts – I’m also reluctant to add yet another plugin to my blog as I already have too many. I may have to change my mind about that in future, if this proves to be a powerful way of extending your blog’s reach. I think for now I’ll hold fire and see how those of you who are testing it out get on with it – I look forward to hearing from you about this again when you’ve had chance to test it out properly – have fun :)
    Susan Neal recently posted…Is Your Video Blog a Big Turn Off?My Profile

Thanks Lisa. Sorry I haven’t been around lately. I’ve been busy with this 30 day photo challenge – 30 Days of Torture, not really the name.

That is a great idea for a plugin. I’m glad you discovered it and wrote about it. I’ll look into it. Like, Susan, I’ve got a lot of plugins. I think it’s time to evaluate what I’ve got and start downsizing. Have a great weekend! The weather is getting nice here. I see blue sky and white puffy clouds. Hope you’re enjoying the same brightening of your day.

• Samantha

What a nifty idea, Lisa! Was the plugin hard to install? Seriously, you know what a moron I am with technology like that. If it’s as easy as installing plugins like commentluv and shareaholic, then I can do it. I think I’ll give it a try (if I can muster up bravery to install it). LOL
    Samantha recently posted…How to Use Onomatopoeia in Content Marketing and ElsewhereMy Profile

• Sudipto

Thanks for telling us about this plugin and it really seems interesting and I am thinking for using it as it helps to attracts reader and also increase blog visibility.
    Sudipto recently posted…Vodafone local and national sms plan 2013My Profile

• Gautam says:

Looks like a great plugin and you also mentioned some of the best sites and i will surely Visit them once and use it on my blog.

• Sonia

I use Hashtags, but some bloggers go way over board with how many they use in a tweet or post on Facebook. I remember seeing one post with over 8 hashtags in it. The worst part is had nothing to do with any of the tags they used inside the post. I thought to myself how to NOT spam readers to just get attention of readers. That was a sure way to turn people off. The original content also got barried inside hashtag mess. I say use them with care and don’t go overboard. I didn’t know about all these places to go to utilize hashtags. Thanks for that list.
    Sonia recently posted…Six Easy Steps to Set Up Google Authorship (Infographic)My Profile

• Gladys

Hello Lisa

Wow so much information to learn in blogging.
    Now about hash tags, I have seen them in many blogs and websites but I have also seen overkill. But it does not mean if we are interested in this plugin, then we should go for it.
    Maybe I will try it later on.

Gladys posted…. Five Internal Tools To Help You Forgive
    Gladys recently posted…Five Internal Tools To Help You ForgiveMy Profile

• Kumar Gauraw

Hello Lisa,

While Hashtags are a great tool for getting discovered on social channels, I am still not sure how these could benefit blog posts. However, I also didn’t know about this plugin. I am going to do some research about this plugin and understand more.

Thank you for sharing!

Regards,
    Kumar
    Kumar Gauraw recently posted…You Should Blog Regularly Even When Don’t Feel Like An ExpertMy Profile

Well, this looks like a good thing. Although I don’t use hashtags that much, I try to use them when it is appropriate. But one on my blog? Hmmmm I feels good to me. But I’m the “wait and see” kind of gal. I don’t like trying anything new, so I will keep my eye on this one. I’m not skeptic, just careful.
    I want to thank you for introducing this Lisa…you are always on top of things.

Donna Merrill recently posted…Seven Social Media Tips For WallflowersMy Profile

Hi Donna, I’m a jump right in and try it type of person most of the time. But plugins not so much as I’ve been burned by some but this one was good and the developers woked out the kinks for me as it would not allow comments the first day I had it. I agree about hashtags being appropriate, I’ve been doing more research on that recently. Maybe a future post idea too. Thanks! Have a great day and welcome to October.
      Lisa recently posted…Demistying WordPress Plugins For Your BlogMy Profile

• Stacey says:

What a help Lisa!
    Thanks! This plugin was very interesting and something new!
    I guess i should give this a try in my future blogs!

• William Butler

Until I saw your post, I did not know about HashCore, so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I like how you have outlined the various places to find hashtags, as I see some potential there for people who may
    use them for research.

I have not been using hashtags in my blog. I do however use #BeLoveToOthers and #leadfromwithin on Twitter.

All the best!
    Bill
    William Butler recently posted…37 Ways To Boost Your Self EsteemMy Profile

You are welcome Bll. I didn’t know either. They had contacted me for a review so I thought I would give it a whirl since I’m a Twitter addict. I have to find some unique hashtags myself soon. Sometimes we teach but we don’t do, right? Thanks for coming by Bill and have a great day and weekend ahead Bill.
      Lisa recently posted…Demistying WordPress Plugins For Your BlogMy Profile

• Dee Ann Rice

Lisa,

I guess I am like you I am skeptical and also intrigued by new things.

I am not sure about this plugin. It is a bonus that it will not take up space and affect load time. That is my biggest reason for not using more plugins.

I will definitely be interested in your follow up post on this. I may also go over and have a look at this plugin just to see more about it. If it will send more traffic my way then it may be well worth it.

Thanks for the info on this plugin.

Dee Ann
    Dee Ann Rice recently posted…WordPress Text EditorMy Profile

• Bashir Ahmed says:

Hello Lisa,

Nice review about the Hashtag plugin. It seems nice plugin but still I’ve not tried it yet on my blog. I think I should give it a try and see how it works.

Thanks for sharing!

• Pankaj Bhatt says:

i am using this plugin and you post really help in reaching to more people , now my posts get noticed and i use it every post to increase my reach… thanks you came like an angel and helped me a lot through your post…please keep on writing more post for keeping us updated.