Social Profiles – Your Profile A Face or Logo Which Comes First?

Social Profiles – Twitter Profiles and More

When setting up your social profiles, which do YOU set up first? Do you start with your own photo or do you start with your branding logo? I’ve done them both ways and I think I see a trend. Please whatever you do –  be sure not to start with an egg head! A major no-no on Twitter or anywhere on the web.

(Feel free to embed or link this social profiles image: http://inspiretothrive.com/2013/06/social-profiles/)

Why You Should Set Up Your Personal Profile First

• People love engaging with other people. They are more apt to engage with you on the social networks.
  • A face is more personal. People will get to know you and then they will want to know more about you and your brand.
  • Once you build a following with your personal profile it will be easier to get a following for your brand profile.

Why You Should Also Set Up Your Brand Profile

• Your brand profile (logo) is a great branding tool for your blog or website. People will get to know it and recognize your brand’s logo.
  • It shows you have a brand or product. Your logo will become more recognizable.
  • It gives you more links back to your website or blog.

Don’t Forget Gravatars for Your Social Profile

Check out Mitch’s post on 5 reasons you need to have a gravatar. Not only do you need gravatars across the social profiles but you will need them for commenting on blogs and websites across the web. You want to engage out there right? People will want to know who you are before they engage with you! You would not let a stranger into your home, why let them into your blog?

I saw this pattern with personal vs. brand social profiles before I started my new Twitter account for Inspire to Thrive – feel free to follow me there.  I will be more focused on the Inspire twitter handle on SEO, blogging and social media vs. my personal one. The personal one is a little more varied as my profile suggests. How do you use your social profiles differently if you have two or more different profiles?

Social Profiles All In One Neat Place – Rebel Mouse

You may have missed my guest post on BasicBlogTips Saturday – you can read more on Rebel Mouse here. It’s an easy set up for your social profiles to appear all in one place. (Good for link juice too!)
Do you use your personal social profile and / or branding social profile across the social networks?
Update: June 12, 2013 – My InspiretoThrive Twitter account was suspended this morning – not sure why. Was it because I had the URL the same on both accounts? Or did I use RT’s too much? Those are the only things I could possibly see from their rules. I put a request through to have it reinstated and asked why. Stay tuned!
Update: June 14, 2013 – Twitter reinstated the Twitter Profile and claims in their email to me:  Twitter has automated systems that find and remove multiple automated spam accounts in bulk. Unfortunately, it looks like your account got caught up in one of these spam groups by mistake. I’ve restored your account; sorry for the inconvenience. Please note that it may take an hour or so for your follower and following numbers to return to normal. Sweet!

She has 20+ years experience in marketing/advertising with 4 years experience blogging, social media and SEO. Get her new eBook Tweeting Like It's 2nd Nature Today!
p5rn7vb

52 Responses to Social Profiles – Your Profile A Face or Logo Which Comes First?

I agree with you there – I think the personal profiles need to be set up first before your business or brand ones, because people like to know who they are connecting with, or who the real person behind the scene is – their work comes after them. At least that’s the way it works for me – I’d always check on who the person is before I check their page or business profiles.

I’ve always been in a double mind about creating one for my blog, because I have two blogs and to make 1 profile and 2 business profiles – doesn’t it all become too tough to handle? I know you have a few yourself that I’m following, and would be the best person to let me know. Same thing goes with my FB page. Speaking of which, I really face no problem presently too by keeping just one profile on Twitter and the single Fan Page I have currently.

Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week ahead :)
    Harleena Singh recently posted…6 Bad Ways to Reduce Stress You Should AvoidMy Profile

Hi Harleena, it can become a little harder but with the right tools like Hootsuite. FB Page Manager or Tweetcaster for Mobile it can be done. It gets more tricker for Triberr and which social buttons to use to share your posts. I’m sticking with my personal one for now and will wait until I grow the brand one. I’m not in a rush but thought branding was indeed a must for the future. Thanks for coming by and for your input. I hope I answered the question for you. Have a wonderful day and don’t hesitate to ask away :)
      Lisa recently posted…Social Profiles – Your Profile A Face or Logo Which Comes First?My Profile

• Evan

There are so many different aspects of promoting or just making your business/blog noticed that ever a lazy one won’t use this opportunity. Thanks for sharing. The post is very informative.
    Evan recently posted…Top Showcase – Industrial WordPress themes 2013My Profile

• Enstine Muki

I just followed your new profile – @InspireToThrive

Well, A face for presonal profile and logo for business profiles. That sounds more logical.
    Some people pick images of celebrities and attach to their personal profiles. That’s bad and crazy :evil: I think bloggers need to show their real faces. That somehow gets your visitors to trust you more. They know you are a real person

Now, gravatar is a must. I hate faceless commentators on my blog. Most of my readers know it. I often contact and help them get that free gravatar account.

I signed up to Rebel Mouse following your guest post on BBT. I’ll be creating more time this week for a closer look.

thanks for the nice share. Have a wonderful week ahead :evil:
    Enstine Muki recently posted…My 5 Year Experience With Hostgator!My Profile

Hi Lisa. Interesting post. I have stuck with my blog profiles for my Twitters simply because I don’t want my employer all up in my business. I find it easier to use blogs in Twitter because it keeps me focused in that niche.

If i had an actual business blog, I might think differently about a personal Twitter. Interesting post which makes ya think a little more.

• Sarmista Aun says:

HI Lisa,
    Thanks for describing the importance of a personal and brand social profiles. I do agree with you. A personal social profile should be set before a brand profile.

I agree with Bren, this is very interesting Lisa.

I wonder though, what factors should we look at to determine we should break out from our name and into our brand? Should we look at traffic to our blog, our social media or a little of everything?

I think I’ll start working on a logo, just in case :)
    Corina Ramos recently posted…It’s A Pish Posh Baby $200 Gift Card GiveawayMy Profile

Hi Corina, Yours is really a combo and that is great how you did it. I see many doing it that way as well. So they see you as the person and as the business name too. Sort of like Adrienne and Jeff Bullas if you look at theirs. You could do just your logo once your personal one has grown. You will know when that time comes. For me it was being able to focus more on the 3 categories of my blog on the new Twitter handle and then I can do more with personal one, like Pets, womens issues, weather, etc. Things outside of the blog that I’m interested in. Does that make sense? Thanks for your questions :)

Lisa,

Just signed up for Rebel Mouse. Another fabulous tip. Thanks so much.

I agree with you on having a personal picture for a public profile. I avoid people on social media with blank faces or logos, especially blank faces. Sometimes bloggers use composite pictures of themselves, which I’m okay with if I know them. Same is true of logos. In the real world, I wouldn’t talk to someone wearing a mask…and in fact would be afraid of them if it wasn’t Halloween.
    Lauren recently posted…What’s on the blogging menu today?My Profile

• Sourav

Hello Lisa,

I had the same question when I had made this Twitter account. Whether to make it a personal one or one for the branding. I also had doubts over the name I will use for the blog. Because of this confusion I ended up using my name and face, but the handle is my blog’s name (bad mix-up). :P

Anyway, I agree that starting out with a more personal approach works better, because when we are new, our brand doesn’t have any value and it won’t affect others. But the human side of ours might be able to affect, because people actually get to see the real person.
    Sourav recently posted…All You Need To Know About Pinterest Images [INFOGRAPHICS]My Profile

I am my brand when it comes to my blog so it can be a little trickier to differentiate.

I have a Facebook Page and a Google+ Page but I’m not using them with any great vigour. I prefer the personal ones for now and we’ll see what happens.

It definitely makes sense to have a branded page for your business, you’re right. I’m too far down the road to change my brand now so at some point, I’m going to have to make an effort to make more of a distinction between my personal and business pages.
    Tim Bonner recently posted…Facebook Images Not Working? Try ThisMy Profile

Hmmm Food for thought Lisa!

I have my personal blog up for around 3 years. Yes, I do agree that we need to set up a personal blog BEFORE a brand one.
    I’m just working with one right now and have not set up another. Yes, my face pops up everywhere. But after reading this blog, I just might set up another in the future. You have my wheels spinning!

Thanks,
    Donna
    Donna Merrill recently posted…The Power of Social MediaMy Profile

So I only have one blog and one Twitter account which both brand me. I am my brand for my business and I really don’t have a separate account for my personal stuff. I mean who wants to read about what I did five minutes ago. Oh wait, I was blogging and sharing content which to me of course goes hand in hand.

So if you have a business then I can see where you might want to keep them separate if it’s a brand you’re trying to get people interested in where you shouldn’t really combine the two. I know for me personally I just much prefer connecting with a person rather then a brand whether it’s in comments, Twitter, Facebook, wherever.

Great food for thought though and seems like you got some thoughts running around in a few people for sure.

Always appreciate what you bring to the table young lady so thanks.

Enjoy your week now and I’ll be by also to check out your guest post as well.

Adrienne recently posted…Who Really Won The Commenting System WarMy Profile

Hi Adrienne, yes you and several others – have your name as your brand. That’s an interesting combo as well. I think that can work wonderful as they really know the YOU. I decided to start the brand profile so I can do more with my personal one. Do my readers really care about local events in RI or health and nature photos? So this way with the branded Twitter profile I can really focus on the 3 topics here, social media, blogging and SEO. I will slowly transition over. Maybe in 2-3 months I’ll start to use the branded Twitter for my share buttons, etc. I’m not in a rush but want to get the branding started for the future. And my personal one for Twitter should I add my retail website there too? That’s another food for thought for me as well. Thanks for your input Adrienne and enjoy your day ahead there.

I think it really depends on how you look at the subject and build your scope :)

I agree that when it comes to businesses, the branding can be a huge plus point for ‘em :) If you brand yourself, then you will get more numbers rather than having two separate profiles too.

For me, I didn’t wanna mix up everything in first place :) Just wanna have friends connected with my personal profile and followers on brand related to my blog. Not both in same row :) Was thinking about being organized though it costs bit of my time. AND it’s much preferable for me :) So, two entities. Further, as I offer services via my blog, the branding helps me there too :)

Thank you for including my Twitter profiles in there too dear :)

You have a wonderful week there Lisa :)

Mayura recently posted…Ensure Security of Your Google Account with Google Account ActivityMy Profile

Hi Mayura, yes – you inspired me with your two. It really got me thinking. I knew I would need to do more branding for Inspire to Thrive. The timing was good since I eliminated 2 other Twitter handles. I will slowly transition over with the share buttons here. I want to build it up a little more first. I thought it was interesting researching those with the 2 and how the personal ones had more followers. It just proves what our faces and personal accounts can do :) Hope all is well there Mayura and have a great week too.

• Sue Neal

Sorry you’ve been poorly – hope you’re feeling better now :)

I share Harleena’s concern about multiple profiles becoming unmanageable – particularly for those of us who aren’t so hot at using automated services. It’s one of the things about social media that just drives me round the bend. I’ve only got one Twitter account at the moment and couldn’t face having any more.

I know what you mean about the importance of letting people get to know you on a personal level – real names and real faces are so much more powerful than logos.

Sue
    Sue Neal recently posted…Are Your Blog Posts Missing This Vital Ingredient?My Profile

• Silviu

1. For he moment I use only my photo. I don’t have a business Twitter account. The personal profile is tiresome enough. What will happen when I create the business profile? Scary!

2. The problem of personal photo in our profiles

This is a kind of hot iron. I agree with the positive part. However, I would like to speak about the negative part here.

It is very important to have a photo for your profile but you must be careful how you do it. Possible mistakes:

a. The person looks straight at the camera. Terrible mistake! The picture can be taken and used for an identity card, passport etc.
    Tip: Make a photo of you but look to the left / right.

b. The entire the face can be seen. No! Only part of the face must be available.
    Tip: Cut the upper part (above the forehead)

c. The picture is big. NO! A big picture is easier to handle and process.
    Tip: Make the picture small

d. The picture is very clear. No. Clear pictures are the first to be selected.
    Tip: The picture must be a little bit blurred.

e. The picture is full of light. Not a good idea. If you do this you need to take other security measures.
    Tip : Darken the picture.

Now, let’s check the avatars on this page:

- Harleena: Excellent: small picture; blurred; she looks to the right
    - Enstine: Excellent: small, blurred; he looks to the left
    - Sarmista: Bad. Probably taken from an ID photo. She looks straight to the camera. The picture is full of light and the face is clearly visible. I know it’s an avatar but if you put such a picture into a twitter profile or on your site, get ready for trouble.
    - Lisa: Not good. The only good thing is the size of the picture. Do not use a bigger version. It’s clear, you are looking straight at the camera and the picture has a lot of light. A bigger version can easily get you into trouble.
    - Donna: Acceptable. She is looking straight to the camera but the picture is darken.
    And so on.

I think you got the picture :).

Have a nice day
    Silviu recently posted…How to Engage More People on Twitter with an Engagement ShipMy Profile

• Margarita

Lisa,

I find your post very educational. It is a matter of distinguishing between your personal and company logo picture. And you pointed out which one goes first, why and what is the difference. Great Job!

I think the before we do business with someone, we have to develop good and trustworthy relationships.

Established names can go straight to the company brand, because their memes are strong and peple always want a oiece of their success.
    Margarita recently posted…How To Raise A Valedictorian | High School Graduation 2013My Profile

• Neamat Tawadrous

I am fairly new to the online world and I only have one blog and one Twitter account , one FB profile and one FB Page which all brand me. I believe that I am my own brand. And for all of these accounts I use my personal photo. Because people like to connect with people with real faces and names.

Thanks Lisa for sharing. Have a great week ahead.

Be Blessed,

Neamat
    Neamat Tawadrous recently posted…6 Steps On How To Be Brave In Your Business!My Profile

• Ferb says:

I can definitely say that, a face come first, people love to do business with real people behind brands rather the brand like StarBucks, they’ve done a great job on it.

• Kita says:

Yay I did this one right lol. I had my personal twitter page for ages before I started my brand page I don’t mix the two at all I like to keep my personal fun and the brand one business but I am thinking I need to show a little personality on the brand one so people don’t think I am a robot. Great info
    Kita recently posted…LeeHenry EventsMy Profile

• Chetan Gupta

Hey Lisa
    I am totally appreciate with you. It is most important to set own identity while promoting any business. There are many people who try to know more about the profile owner or business owner. I also use my own image everywhere where i promote my work. It is also the best way to make your identity online.
    Thanks dear for sharing this post.
    Chetan Gupta recently posted…You Should Learn: Interesting Things to Do After WordPress InstallationMy Profile

• Manny says:

I believe that personal profiles should come first. You need to introduce yourself first as a real person with real business before you introduce your brand. People tend to do some background check about the business. So it is essential to start with personal profiles first.
    Manny recently posted…Atomic Mail Verifier Coupon Code: 25% DiscountMy Profile

• Jens P. Berget

Great advice Lisa. I always start with my own photo, and I am still using it. Not sure if I’ll ever turn it into a logo when it comes to my social profiles. But, when it comes to the vegetarian festival, I’ve started the other way around. That’s because I want the other people who’re involved to be involved as well (both online and offline), and I believe that if I had my face all over it, people would think that it was my festival :)
    Jens P. Berget recently posted…Why I just bought the iPad MiniMy Profile

• Jens P. Berget

Yes, that\’s it. We’ve made a logo with some really nice vegetables. You can see the Facebook page here: facebook.com/vegetarfestivalen (it’s in Norwegian, but you’ll see the images) :)
    Jens P. Berget recently posted…Help! Switching from Google Reader to what?My Profile

• Different people have different views.

If you want to spared your business with its own name, then your business should have its own profile and logo.
    Majharul Hossain recently posted…3 Great Blogging Doctors!My Profile