Facebook Page Text Posts Increases Engagement and Reach

Facebook Page Text Posts

Facebook page text posts can really increase your engagement and reach on your Facebook page.  Have you tried different styles of posts on your Facebook pages? Text posts seem to outrank images and link style posts from 2 pages I have been experimenting with. I also read over on Pagemodo that they found the same thing with their Facebook page posts. Let’s take a look!

Different Types of Facebook Posts

• Text Only – Asking a question, sharing a quote, etc.
  • Photos/Image – Showing off a quote via an image, sharing a photo or funny image.
  • Links – Sharing information via a link to a website or blog.
  • Video – Sharing video’s on Facebook.

Why Facebook Page Text Posts Work Well and Pictures Are Not Worth A Thousand Words

• Text posts tend to ask questions and engage your readers.
  • They are easy to read as long as they are not lengthy.
  • They are coming directly from you, more personal than sharing an image or link.

My Facebook Page Posts Results from 2 Pages

What Stands Out For You On These 2 Facebook Pages?

If you look quickly you will see the green highlighted areas on the left hand side are text posts. And you can see the numbers are much bigger for reach.

You can reach more Facebook fans via Facebook page text posts!

If you look further at the charts above you can see that reach does not always mean engagement. Especially on the top image for Fancy Scrubs Facebook page posts.  You may reach more fans but not all your fans engage with your Facebook page text style posts. Those fans that talked about posts seemed to prefer the text style posts but not all. Some loved the funny style quotes to share. And when your fans share your posts you make get more Facebook likes.

What is Virality on Facebook Pages?

According to Facebook itself it is defined as “Virality is the number of people who have created a story from your post as a percentage of the number of people who have seen it.”  If you look again at the charts above Facebook page text posts do not mean higher virality.

What Should You Do For Your Facebook Page Posts to Get Noticed?

• Use a variety of style posts, mix it up with text, photo/images, links and video.
  • Share information important to your fans.
  • Comment on other Facebook pages.
  • Change up your Facebook page covers – Seasonally, monthly, or weekly.
  • Read and analyze your Facebook insights. They have the information for you to get better at posting on your page.
  • Try to boost a post, spend $5-$20 and the post will be seen by more fans and friends of fans.
  • Try, try again!

Did you know according to Daniel Zeevi, with the latest Facebook Page algorithm changes  “it’s almost 30 times easier to get into Harvard than to be published in the News Feed.” (you will love his post rant on Facebook – click the link with his name at beginning of paragraph).

So if you think your posts are not being seen on Facebook anymore you are not alone. Facebook like Google need to make money. Their stock prices need to continue to grow. Isn’t that what business is all about? We may not like it but social networks websites are a business. And a thriving business at that.

How are you doing with your Facebook page posts?

Have you tried the different style posts?

She has 20+ years experience in marketing/advertising with 4 years experience blogging, social media and SEO. Get her new eBook Tweeting Like It's 2nd Nature Today!

62 Responses to Facebook Page Text Posts Increases Engagement and Reach

Interesting indeed :)

I love doing a combination I would say, though prefer more of quotes – inspiring ones with a little line added up. Of course, sharing other people’s posts, and my own is always there too. Have yet to try the video, but I know they work well, if they are really good ones, as I also open and listen to a few of them that come down my stream.

Haven’t tried those boost your post option because I’m rather happy with the shares I receive for my posts, so why pay for more, though I’m sure it must be working well for those who use it. However, I think I need to try it at least once. :)

Thanks for sharing this with us. Have a lovely weekend :)
    Harleena Singh recently posted…Shocking Sleep Deprivation Effects You Need to KnowMy Profile

I think that’s the best way Harleena. I need to work more on video as well. I don’t watch long video’s myself. I always check the timing of them. I will be trying another one of the promoted posts shortly. Thanks for coming by Harleena and for your input, I don’t know how you do it all. You are always the first to comment :) Have a great weekend Harleena.
      Lisa recently posted…Facebook Page Text Posts Increases Engagement and ReachMy Profile

• Carlie Hamilton says:

Hey, great post!

I haven’t been focusing much on facebook yet, but plan to in the near future. I have read a lot of posts on how people are annoyed with facebook’s algorithm. It is interesting about the text posts, and I have read many posts on the opposite that pictures are more popular! I do agree that a combination works well. I try to watch the leaders in my field and see what they are doing, to get an idea of what works for them that may work for me as well.
    I am not going to pay on Facebook until I already have a firm base so that I can leverage my current fans to make new ones. In my mind, I think that the “friends of” is a feature that would work well in terms of facebook ads.

Carlie Hamilton

Thanks Carlie and welcome to Inspire to Thrive. Yes, it sure has become annoying to many as they feel invisible on Facebook with their pages. Yes, that used to be the case but with the changes it is now different. Friends of fans is a great idea to target. Why have likes if they are not interested in the Facebook page or will never come back to visiit. It used to be the higher number of likes the better, I don’t think that’s the case as much now. It’s more about engagement. Thanks for coming by Carlie and have a great weekend.

• Now that’s fascinating! I wonder if there’s been a shift? For a while, it was all about the images.
    If you follow George Takei, he *rarely* offers up text posts. He’s all about images, and a smattering of articles. But he doesn’t just share an image, he adds his thoughts in the text block that appears when you choose to share an image or post on Facebook. I think his sometimes witty, sometimes thought-provoking message with the share is as vital as the share itself. A lot of (maybe most) people just hit share – no thoughts of their own. I wonder if adding engagement-oriented text above the share makes a difference? I wonder if that share method would stand up to a text post? Curious! :-)

Hi Ellen, yes – the shift has been their algorithm too. Interesting point you make Ellen, I tend to add something to some of the shares I do and not just hit share. I will have to see if there is further research on that but from I have read and experienced on 2 different pages it’s the pure text that gives you a further reach. Now rmemeber, the images may give your post more virality. Thanks for coming by and for your insights too Ellen. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

• Michelle Mazur says:

Wow, Lisa – I’m so glad you posted this. I’ve noticed for awhile now that I get more traction with text posts than images or links. Still I was reading everywhere that it’s all about the images. Post images. People love images. My images would get 1/3 of the views that my text post recieved. It’s nice to know that I am not alone!

Hi Michelle, you are NOT alone :) I had read about it first and then experienced it over the past several weeks. Even earlier today I posted a pure text link that got more comments/likes than the one for this post that I just promoted an hour after for $5. It sure is fascinating. The images do have a chance to go viral though. (Engagement and virality are 2 different things). Thanks for coming by, commenting and welcome to Inspire to Thrive Michelle. Hope to see you back again soon.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us. It’s fantastic information.

I have a fan page but haven’t done much with it. I’ve been using my personal fb profile for posting and commenting. I’ve always been confused about which profile to use.

To answer your question, I guess I’ve been doing a little bit of everything. Mostly liking and sharing. I’m in several fb groups (several closed group). How does that affect fb’s algorithm?
    Lauren recently posted…Write Something. Damn it! Who cares if it’s crap, literally?My Profile

Great stuff you’ve shared Lisa and you said it best when you told Carlie it’s not about the “likes” anymore but the engagement.

I’ve been thinking about promoting my page, even went as far as to set it up but didn’t submit it. I just might do it just to compare stats.

When I first signed on to Facebook it was about images and video now it seems text is catching more attention…we just gotta keep rolling with the punches I guess.

Thanks for sharing this information with us! Have a great weekend!
    Corina Ramos recently posted…Friday Work from Home Job Leads Round Up 05-31-13My Profile

Thanks Corina. I have just a few times and actually did use the boost for this post a few hours ago. (My previous text one still reached more people) I love testing things out. I had heard about text doing better with Facebook page posts so I started to experiement for weeks and I was amazed at the results I was getting Corina. I just had to share! Thanks for coming by and taking the time to comment today. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• Susan

Nice post. Lisa. My experience is different than yours. Texts are not more engaging on my FanPage. I mix mine up with quotes, relevant articles and most important for me, professional jewelry pictures. As to text posts in question format, I often find them to be uncomfortably contrived. I suspect different niches will have different results and it all depends if you are selling a service or a product.
    Susan recently posted…Let the Creative Process Begin!My Profile

Hi Susan, thanks. I just checked out your page and you don’t really have any plain text posts except for one VERY LONG one (quote). Questions can sometimes product no answers and other times can bring in conversation. It’s a chance you have to take sometimes. (It’s like diving off a diving board) I don’t think the niche’s will make a huge difference after everything I’ve just read on it. Do try some simple text ones and see how it goes. What do you have to lose? Love to know how you make out. Are you thinking of getting a gravatar? CommentLuv may no longer accept comments from those without gravatars (a heads up!) Besides I’d love to see your lovely face Susan. Thanks for your input and hope the rest of your weekend goes well.

Now that’s all about facts ;) Excellent research.

Very true Lisa, Facebook is a business too and it’s not only about running their site. But strategies can help ‘em a lot.

I’ve read that images are the type of content that gain more engagement on Facebook, but unfortunately, it wasn’t good enough when I post images on my fan page though. Poor than links.

However posting more relevant information helped me a lot and I’ve noticed increase in reach there. I know, reach is not all about it. I think there’s more engagement, when the audience know what to come in specific days. As I post an informative video on each weekend, I’ve noticed increase of reach but not likes and comments though.

Boost a post feature can immensely help out :) I know some bloggers who did it and got some fabulous results. But it doesn’t mean you get more attention on next couple of posts though. However it’s about quality and marketing effectiveness to attract users, nah? :)

You have a wonderful weekend there dear :)

Mayura recently posted…Manage Your Website in Google Webmaster Tools: Part 5My Profile

Thanks Mayura and I even did more than I linked out to here too. I had to pick and choose, you know? Images may work more on your personal account but not for fan PAGES. Relevancy is key too Mayura, good point. I just did a boost this a.m. on the post for this one and the prior post which was just text still is doing better. It may have drawn some new readers though. Thanks for coming by Mayura and for your valued inpout. Enjoy the rest of your weekend as it’s probably already Sunday there.

• Colette Saucier says:

LOVE the post, Lisa!

I went back and checked and, sure enough, my most “viral” post (over 10%) was a text comment about reaching the halfway mark in my weight-loss goal, but it only had a “reach” of 87. On the other hand, a funny picture I posted got a “reach” of 778 (!) but only a virality of 5.5%. So I think your advice is sound: Use a variety; mix up text with pics & links. It looks like that’s what I’ve been doing all along without even realizing it!

By the way, for anyone reading this, please Like my page. ;) just kidding

• Sue Neal

Hi Lisa – thanks very much for this post. It’s the second one I’ve read today that’s made me realise I don’t use FB very intelligently or strategically – have to admit I’m a bit disorganised and ad hoc when it comes to my social media activities – something for me to work on.

I can understand why the text posts do better, particularly if they’re actively encouraging engagement by asking a question – it makes sense.

Sue
    Sue Neal recently posted…Are Your Blog Posts Missing This Vital Ingredient?My Profile

Interesting post Lisa that made me go check my FB pages, like I never do, and check on my stats. Both of my pages are about even on written posts, blogs links, and pics I’ve shared. I have quite a few of “all” that have gone viral well over 25%. Shocked me that’s for sure. I’d love to get more engagement on MGP but I’m sure it will come eventually. Pibbles hits and misses with engagement but I get more reshares on that one.

Interesting stats for sure! Thanks for sharing this!
    Bren recently posted…Somethings Are Better Off…UnknownMy Profile

• Love those constant updates made by Facebook. Those updates surely help a lot in promoting businesses.

• Heather Stone says:

We’ve heard this from more than a few folks here on the BizSugar community. Text only entries seem to trump other kinds of posts on Facebook in terms of reach. This apparently has something to do with Facebook’s algorithm. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the community!

• Manny says:

I think I have to agree with this one. Text post seem to outrank image posts because we can never deny that we can always talk about anything in texts. I am currently following a YouTube celebrity in facebook and I have been monitoring his likes on texts and images. It seems that texts is the best one.
    Manny recently posted…How to Download Google Web Fonts and Use in Offline ApplicationsMy Profile

• RobG says:

Hello Lisa, great research thanks for sharing your findings. I’m still trying to learn Facebook so all of this is new to me even tho I have about three accounts. I think Facebook need a face lift and their whole interface need to be revamped.

Thank you for pointing this info out when I have time I’ll check out my stats also.
    RobG recently posted…How-To Spice Up Your Blog With vSlider WordPress Image Slider PluginMy Profile

• Kita says:

I am getting ready to change up my facebook cover soon so that’s great info. I do comment on others facebook I normally do it on Sundays where I go through as many as possible and either like something or answer a question. I have noticed you get more reach when you post a question or put up a picture.
    Kita recently posted…Finger Lickin ChickenMy Profile

I have to admit Lisa, I’m absolutely hopeless with Facebook.

I need to try something with it because I just don’t engage on there any more.

I promised myself I’d start going there every day and posting so I’ve done that today and hope to turn a corner.

Interesting you mention that text posts get more engagement so I’ll be doing more of them.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Tim Bonner recently posted…Blogging Isn’t For EveryoneMy Profile

I do know that when you ask questions then it does get more engagement then just sharing a post or an image. Now the images people tend to like and share but the questions get more interaction which is really what I enjoy the most.

But I have had some good interaction when sharing posts too. Okay, it varies I admit but you do bring up a very good point Lisa so thanks for that. We all need to find ways to get in front of our audience more and get our content shared. I think you’re right about being able to get into Harvard quicker then getting our stuff read in the newsfeed. Why am I not surprised. lol…

Thanks for this great tip and insight.

Enjoy your week.

Adrienne recently posted…The Next Step To Creating SuccessMy Profile

Adrienne, you are the queen of engagement though :) Sometimes I’d ask questions and get no answers. It would get more views but the question went into a black hole. I loved that quote. Anyways mixing it up I found best and using more text posts which many of us had not been doing. Thanks Adrienne for coming by and for your insightful comment. Enjoy the rest of your week there.

• Silviu

Interesting and comprehensive article. I would not lose myself in talking. I will jump to what I think are the most important things.
    My experience with Facebook tells me this:

1. Attraction
    The posts that really attract attention are the pictures with text incorporated. The best text in the picture is usually a quote from a kind of influencer, a personality, someone who is well know by a lot of people. It helps if the text is not only a quote but a question, too. The best texts come from the personal development and life coaching world. This seems very liked and very trendy now.
    The second place is occupied by videos.
    Status updates are rarely read.

2. Facebook
    In my opinion Facebook is not the way to reach the top in the beginning. First you must reach heights outside of Facebook. Then you will go to Facebook and use your army of followers to get likes, clicks, etc. Then, yes, you can use Facebook to reach new heights. This is the only way to succeed in Facebook. If you create a profile page, then a like page hoping you will do business on facebook you will fail. People won’t come. Most people do not read their newsfeed. So it doesn’t matter what you put in there.
    Now I go to facebook because of email notifications. If the notification is really interesting or the person is important, I go to facebook. Otherwise, I don’t like this autistic environment and I believe that they shoot themselves in the foot with their restrictions. The real reason for them is not business but greed.

Have a nice day
    Silviu recently posted…Blog Commenting Results. Case Study 1My Profile

• Rudd

As a people who are doing Facebook marketing, I agree with you. Fb keeps changing how things work with Facebook page. I believe the best combination would be text + image. The problem with those who are using image is they do not use the right “hook” to caught people’s attention to engage with the post. A question type of post is one of the best ways.

Whenever people leave comment on a Facebook page, their friends will see it on the newsfeed. Having an image on the post will make it more noticeable.
    Rudd recently posted…Giveaway: 3 Premium WordPress Themes from Colorlabs & CompanyMy Profile

Thanks Rudd. I sometimes gringe when I post a question because sometimes they go unanswered. But they do reach more fans. When you use images less people see it in the feed. I have been checking the facebook page insights for quite some time now. One thing about the photos – they can go viral easier. But the engagement may not be as high. (I just checked the insights again). It seems to work best when you MIX it all up too. Thanks for coming by and for your input. Enjoy your day!

Hi Lisa!

I haven’t boosted yet because I usually receive lots of action for the most part. I found that when I share an event in my life people come on like crazy.

Pictures…yes, I need to do that more often. I kind of slid off on that one.

Videos – Now that is something I do need to do. I did a lot last year and I was ranking very high.

But, for the past few months, I have been focusing on my product and spend less time on Facebook.

This is a good reminder for me to put more effort into it. I do comment a lot, but I need to put more umph in it.

Thanks Lisa!

Donna
    Donna Merrill recently posted…People Should Know These Things!My Profile

Hi Donna, so you share events in your life on your Facebook Page and not your own profile? I notice that works well for those on Facebook but not pages. (Rather, I haven’t seen pages posting on events in their personal lives, I will look more into that one.) Interesting note. I can’t wait to see your product Donna, that must be exciting. Have a great day and thanks for coming by and commenting on this post today.

• Sandhya says:

Actually photos posts are more better than the text post because they are more clear and organic search is very much higher. But now text photos also have some demands in the market.

Hi Sandhya, welcome to Inspire to Thrive! It really depends, some photos do not rank as well. Good point on organic search. But if you look at your Facebook page insights you will see how text gets much more reach and engagement.
      Photos can go viral which is a difference. Viralityon Facebook is the percentage of people who create a story from your post out of the number of people that saw it. You can see that info right on your insights and click on the ? above virality. They are always changing things on Facebook. Thanks for coming by and for your input Sandhya.

• Carolyn

Hi Lisa, This is very helpful. I had seen that headline around but your analysis was a great explanation of why text posts may be better for Facebook. I think you’re right, a variety of posts is probably best. I still respond best to visual posts, but you’re right, some of my text posts do get good responses.

Thanks for sharing this, Lisa!
    Carolyn recently posted…12 Terrific Father’s Day Tech GiftsMy Profile

• Disha

Hi Lisa, It’s really Interesting to know about Facebook Page. Thanks for great sharing Lisa.

• Angela McCall

Lisa, I found out that TEXT is better on Facebook than photos. Not only do photos take time to load, I found out people don’t really engage with me much except they click that LIKES button and that’s about it. So you’re so RIGHT. TEXT is much, much better for engaging your readers, audiences, and fans with you.

Angela

• There are some truths to be told here. :cool:

One, just 6 months ago a post with an image got way more visits and such than anything else.

Two, I’m not sure when it turned but you’re right, as soon as I noticed that views were dropping on images I tried writing a few posts on my page, and suddenly I was up around 33% in viewership; neat!

Three, sorry to say that engagement didn’t really jump at all. I had a few more likes than before but that was it; if a post got 2 comments that was a reason for cake (okay, I don’t really need reasons for cake).

And there you go; me sharing stuff again. :wink:
    Mitch Mitchell recently posted…Insulin, Injections And BloggingMy Profile

Hi Mitch, watch now it will switch back since we got it :) Always keeping us on our toes between Facebook and Google. One day it’s one way, the next it’s another. I’m also experimenting with time of day too. It all depends on where the major of your readers are. I try to post 2x daily now. Thanks Mitch for coming by and for your input. Have a great day ahead there.
      Lisa recently posted…Goodbye Website or Blog – It Was Nice Knowing You My Profile

• Hermine says:

I’ve been really disappointed with Facebook as of late because of the whole edgerank factor and yet, I too noticed that simple text posts were getting a lot more traction in terms of reach. I’ve also heard from a few people that, believe it or not, longer posts get more interaction (we’ve been told otherwise). So, it would be interesting to do an experiment between longer and shorter posts on one of your pages and show the results here.

I’ve managed FB for clients before, but personally I like Twitter and LinkedIn for promoting my own business – I just find it less of a hassle.

Thanks Hermine, I had been too. Facebook really has changed. I like your train of thinking with the longer posts, I will test. And I’m not one to post long things normally :) I love Twitter Hermine the best! LinkedIn is okay but I’m not as active. I also really love Pinterest and using it with Twitter and FB helps. Thanks for coming by and for your suggestion of using longer posts. I will test it out soon :) If you do let me know too. It will be interesting to see the results.

• Susan Silver

I think it must depend on what you are using Facebook for. No one clicks on a status update for the magazine without an image! Perhaps it is just a visual sub-culture, but not even video links get much action. Also, long posts work well for us. They are usually announcements though :)

So, I think it depends on how things evolve with your fans. Things change over time and I try to keep track of the trends and give people more of what they like!
    Susan Silver recently posted…Content Strategy Quick Tip #1: You Move to FastMy Profile

Hi Susan, yes, that is part of it. Have you tried mixing it up yourself? Things certainly do change over time with Facebook and the trends too. It is amazing how often they do. I just read yesterday they are changing their ad structure and what will be in our FB streams, etc. I hope things are well your way and have a great weekend Susan.

• Chetan Gupta

You have shared really well explained article here. I am totally appreciate with you in this article. Facebook is really a great platform to get success in any business and Facebook page for your brand plays an important role in getting more customers for the product. But If the Facebook page wouldn’t have the engagement then that would not be good for the business. This article is really helpful for the readers. Thanks for sharing this with us. Happy Blogging :D
    Chetan Gupta recently posted…How To Send Free Text SMS to Any Number Using GmailMy Profile

Hi Chetan, yes, Facebook pages are so tough now to get engagement with all the algorithm changes being made there. I still find the text posts work best for them. It amazes me how little reach though each post has unless you promote it via paying for the post to reach more people. Thanks for coming by and have a great day!
      Lisa recently posted…Why I Won’t Use Shareaholic To Share Your PostsMy Profile

• Andrew Hidas says:

Thanks for this, Lisa. I’ve been perplexed in noticing the definite trend of text-only FB posts garnering far more reach than either posts with links or posts with fotos, both with my own page and another I manage for a client. It’s disappointing because I actually have a lot of fun tracking down appropriate fotos, and I think they definitely enhance the viewer’s experience, so why FB would frown on enhanced posts and purposely limit their organic reach is rather exasperating. It couldn’t be as simple as wanting to limit the overall bandwidth they allot to each user, could it?

Hi Andrew, welcome to Inspire to Thrive. I know, it seems odd since many love photos but for some reason the texts do reach further many times. That’s an excellent point on the bandwidth and I really don’t have an answer for that one. It gives us something to think about though Andrew, thank you!
      Lisa recently posted…How To Avoid Getting The Mute on TwitterMy Profile

• olili Bob

Hi lisa, I must say facebook has really helped me in terms of reaching out to people, i try all methods though but yet to try the video. I was recently banned for 90 days for sharing too much links on facebook so am really waiting to be unbanned so i can focus text posts and maybe videos and see how it goes.
    olili Bob recently posted…7 Free Software apps that will Help you Root Your Android Phone without Using a PCMy Profile