Old Twitter Followers That Haven’t Tweeted Being Swept Away

Old Twitter Followers That Don’t Tweet

Old Twitter followers are being sweeped away. It’s Spring and the Spring cleaning continues. Why follow peeps who haven’t tweeted in weeks or months? If peeps are not active on the social network it’s time to say Goodbye!

3 Great Ways to Unfollow Old Twitter Followers

There are some great tools you can use to check who isn’t following and how long since they last tweeted.  Why waste your stream with folks that are inactive and / or irrelevant to your tweets?

1. Just Unfollow – Just Unfollow is quick and easy. I use the FREE version to sweep away those old Twitter followers who haven’t been active on the social network. You can of course pay for the premium version and get more tools to use.
  2. Commun.it - Commun.it is a great tool as it recommends which peeps to follow or unfollow. You can also see when they last tweeted and/or interacted with you on Twitter.
  3. Tweepi - When I did not find enough to unfollow I went to Tweepi. A great way to see who’s tweeted in the last week or month. It was amazing to see how many peeps just tweeted in minutes while I was on that site checking it out.

Old Twitter Followers – Be Careful How Many You Unfollow In A Day

Twitter has rules about how many you can follow and unfollow in a day. You must be careful not to  be seen as churning spam particularly by automated means. If you are one to follow and unfollow daily you may get noticed by Twitter and could be a cause for concern. So be careful not to constantly follow and unfollow. You can also read my eBook so you don’t end up in Twitter jail – it really exists!

6 Reasons To Unfollow Old Twitter Followers

1. They haven’t tweeted in weeks or months. They are considered inactive.
  2. They don’t tweet in your areas of interest, why continue to follow?
  3. They do not interact with you when you tweet or retweet them.
  4. They don’t have a face or icon associated with their account – why did you follow in the first place?
  5. No profile – What are they about? What is their purpose for being on Twitter? Bio’s should be filled out!
  6. They tweet constantly – filling up your stream with not so great content. Maybe they should use the Buffer app.

How often do you clean up your old Twitter followers on Twitter and do you have other reasons to unfollow peeps on Twitter?

She has 20+ years experience in marketing/advertising with 4 years experience blogging, social media and SEO. Get her new eBook Tweeting Like It's 2nd Nature Today!

79 Responses to Old Twitter Followers That Haven’t Tweeted Being Swept Away

• Enstine Muki

I’m using JustUnfollow free too. I do use TweetAttack to unfollow accounts that are inactive for over 5 days. Sometimes, I kick off accounts that are idea for 72hrs and above ;)
    Enstine Muki recently posted…$150 Paypal Cash Contest ~ Enter to win!My Profile

You are so right there – it IS spring time and everything, including our Twitter followers need cleaning :)

I’ve been using Tweepi for a while and it’s pretty good, though you do need to take out time and check out who the real people are who have been sitting quiet for long. It’s still either to send them a message before unfollowing them, but that’s about it – after that I do unfollow them too.

Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week ahead :)
    Harleena Singh recently posted…Is The Fat In a Diet Really Bad For YouMy Profile

• Evan

Good set of tools, thanks. i was always wondering if its possible to check the followers or not.
    Evan recently posted…20+ Retina Ready WordPress Themes – Top ShowcaseMy Profile

• Babanature says:

Hello Lisa,
    I have not thought of unfollowing my inactive twitter friends. For them to be inactive, it might be for some reasons so unfollowing them while they are in that crises might be a cruel thing to do. At times i see people follow me and when i follow them back, they’ll unfollow me. Now i am wiser and i am taking action and unfollow those who are not following me, but i am doing this manually :) . I Hope one of these tools can show me people that are not following me anymore? If yes! i should try one. Thanks
    Babanature recently posted…Why Trying to Make Money Online Can Be Dangerous to Your HealthMy Profile

• Kumar Suhas

Thanks Lisa for the all the important information about Twitter cleanup and I agree that we do not need social associations that are not active. Twitter has some different value and not like personal Facebook profile where we have friends that do nothing but stay as friends.

This is a great reminder Lisa.

I have to go in and do some spring cleaning myself and thank goodness there are tools to help otherwise I’d sitting there all day doing it manually :) I haven’t signed in to my CommunIt account in a while but it looks like I’ll be using it more often :)

I’ve had the same thing happen to me as Babanature where I’d follow back and get unfollowed right afterward so I’m on to ‘em now :)

And you’re right we should all be taking time to read the person’s profile and get a sense of what they’re all about. I’ve read some doozies let me tell ya :)

Have a great day Lisa!
    Corina Ramos recently posted…Monday Work from Home Job Lead Madness 04-29-13My Profile

• Ellen M. Gregg

Another great post, Lisa! You’re two for two today. :-D
    I regularly clean out those I follow, usually based solely on inactivity (I look for several weeks to a month of inactivity; some people just don’t have the time/need to Tweet daily, or even weekly, and I totally appreciate that.)
    I have called out several people who pull the same-day follow/unfollow thing. I had a minister (a minister!) do that to me three times in a row over the course of several days. I respectfully called her out on her game-playing, and blocked her.
    I don’t ever automatically follow those who follow me. I check out their profiles, and read their feed back over at least a few days (unless they’re aggressive tweeters, in which case one day is plenty) to get a sense of what they tweet. If I’m not interested, I just don’t follow.
    Have a great day! :-)

Thanks Ellen. Glad to hear you do it regularly. I agree, I give them at least a month because you never know of life situations that come up. (Though if I wasn’t on Twitter for a day people would probably call the police). Glad you came by Ellen and gave your input on this one today. It sounds like you are on the right track with Twitter Ellen. Enjoy the rest of your day and week ahead.
      Lisa recently posted…Old Twitter Followers That Haven’t Tweeted Being Swept AwayMy Profile

• Ted Rubin says:

I totally disagree with this post. Twitter lurkers have so much value and there is no way to know which of those not tweeting are using Twitter for what most use twitter for… searching, learning, and reading content. just because someone does not interact does not mean they do not have value, and IMHO many of them are way more valuable than those who do tweet.

I suggest reconsidering this approach. This comment box will not allow me to include a link to my post in Mashable about Twitter Lurkers so I suggest checking it out if you have the time… Why You Should Embrace Twitter Lurkers.

Ted, that’s the spice of life – disagreement. Very interesting conversation we all had on Twitter- thanks. I will definately check it out Ted and get back to you on it. I don’t agree at first glance on the ones that don’t interact but you are making me think. There are many people on Facebook that don’t post or like anything but they are still my friends. But they are 2 diferent platforms. Very interesting Ted, thanks!

• Mohsin Ali says:

Before reading this article I was un-following Twitter followers manually but thanks to the programs you tell I will now use these surly.

I’ve been tempted to put my accounts on protected, especially MGP’s twitter. I get the strangest followers that are very inactive and don’t have full profiles. Constantly blocking them. Why follow me if you’re not going to interact or at least, tweet something? Very odd. I use the Unfollow but will also look at that Tweet Attack. I like it’s name :)
    Bren recently posted…10 Fab Things on the Way to FiftyMy Profile

• Kita says:

I just used the justunfollow one last week to get rid of those that don’t tweet. I also do it with my instagram account too. I hate to get rid of people but twitter is about connecting and talking .
    Kita recently posted…Taco CasseroleMy Profile

• Sapna

HI Lisa,

Great set of tool shared!

Tweepi is what I like the most and I do the cleaning on regular basis. But haven’t done that for quite sometime now, a great reminder though. I don’t have any rule of removing anyone but yes at time I accept anonymous users, I try to find the most inactive amongst them and remove them.

Thanks Lisa and have a great week ahead.

I sincerely agree with you on this, i think its of no use following people that are inactive on twitter, its just a waste of time. The reasons you gave above are really same thing that will also make me to unfollow someone.

The truth is that i can’t even remember the last time i did that but, you’ve just reminded me of what i should do immediately.

I know and have used commun.it and i really love the features. But, I haven’t used the other ones before, will have to check them out.

Thanks for sharing.
    valentine belonwu recently posted…Small Business Goes MobileMy Profile

Hi Lisa -Thanks for the Twitter tool tips. I didn’t know about the Twitter follow and unfollow rules. But it makes sense that any above the radar activity would upset Twitter. I also never understood why someone would create a Twitter account and then be antisocial by not personalizing their profile. Twitter is one of the most social, social networks.

Everyone should read your Twitter eBook. It’s a great resource.
    Lauren recently posted…Broken News in Boston!My Profile

Thanks Lauren, oh yes Twitter has rules. And if you are not careful you could end up in Twitter jail. So far I’ve not ended up there:) I agree, why set up account and not do anything? Although you do see that with some even on Facebook. Interesting, isn’t it? Have a great day Lauren and enjoy the rest of the week. I hope your weather is just as great as mine this week here.

• Keral Patel

Very helpful in situation where one is just following all the followers. Following inactive followers just caps your limit to follow other people. As twitter rule says you cannot follow more then 10% of your total followers. Sometimes I do hit that limit and I have to clear out some trash.
    Keral Patel recently posted…Create/Design your own Custom CMSMy Profile

• Hello Lisa,

These are great reminders. Also, a nice list of tools! Thank you!

Hey Lisa!

Well this post sure helped me out! I’m pretty new at using the Twitter platform. Have stayed away from it until I learned the power of it from our dear friend Adrienne Smith on a mastermind group.

I’m on Triberr and using it carefully. I don’t like to have too many followers that are inactive. I like quality rather than quantity. Each day I get new followers and scrutinize them before I accept them. I want to do some Spring Cleaning on my Twitter and I must thank you for introducing me to Tweepi.

Just went over to check it out and will sign in after I finish this comment.

As always, wonderful info my friend,
    Donna
    Donna Merrill recently posted…Do You Own Your Business or Does It Own You?My Profile

• Taswir Haider says:

I am using the tool TweetAdder for doing this and earlier I used a good site for doing the same but can’t remember the name exactly. I think removing such user is a good idea but make sure that you don’t unfollow too many twitter followers in a single day, otherwise your account might get the risk of being banned Lisa.

Yes Taswir that is what I referred in the post – you could end up in Twitter Jail. I’ve heard of TweetAdder but to be honest people I know that use it are not very “engaged” so I’m not so sure about it. And it is not FREE. Do you see a big benefit from it yourself? I’m always curious of course. Thanks for coming by Taswir on this one and enjoy your day.

• Taswir Haider says:

Hi Lisa, frankly speaking I am getting benefit from TweetAdder for unfollow and auto tweet. You are thinking to bulk unfollow while using TweetAdder I normally unfollow 100 of people every day which has reduced my task. I have also scheduled some of my best posts in auto posting, which is also helpful. Actually tweetadder has all the tools which a twitter user generally do.
        TweetAdder has recently released version 4 and I have heard from somewhere else that they are going to change the pricing plan to monthly instead of current lifetime license, though I am not 100% sure on this point.

Hi Taswir, thanks for the info on TweetAdder. Do you find engagement as well with it? Wow, that’s a lot to unfollow on a daily basis – what is the criteria for that? I use buffer for auto posting myself. Interesting that they are going to monthly plan as well. Enjoy the rest of your day Taswir.

• Taswir Haider says:

Yap Lisa I am somehow enjoying it and using everyday. Though I have see many people are getting the most of out it, but I am not that much aggressive though the result is not bad too. Buffer is a great app but I am using dlvr.it. There is 3 options for unfollow in my Tweet Adder current version 3.0.
            I can unfollow people who hasn’t followed back to me ever
            I can unfollow only them whom I added trough TweetAdder but hasn’t followed back to me
            I can unfollow all people in my list except the whitelist.
            But I didn’t test version 4.0 yet. Have a great day mate!

• Debbie

Hi Lisa; Thanks for the info. I use the free JustUnfollow as well and find it pretty good. Commun.it is something I just discovered, but, haven’t really explored in detail. Must take the time to do some spring cleaning at Twitter, for sure! Have been busy doing that with the blog. Didn’t know you could go to Twitter Jail. Yikes!
    Debbie recently posted…MORE CONFESSIONS OF AN AGEING ROCK CHICKMy Profile

• Pauline

Sorry I have not been around much but I am back now….
    I use free JustUnfollow and Commun.it and find them useful, I have not heard of Tweepi so I will check it out and see if I like it.
    I tend to have a clear our every week, what is the use of keeping these people if they do not Tweet or engage with others?
    Thanks for sharing hope you enjoy your day Lisa
    Pauline
    Pauline recently posted…How To Get Beyond The Newbie Stage Part 2My Profile

• Ray says:

I honestly don’t have a clue how many followers I have that are inactive or don’t tweet something very often. I used to do a pretty good job keeping up with that stuff, but I guess I have been putting off doing so. I have used Tweepi, but it has been months since I logged into it. I am almost afraid to look now because I know I will most likely have more than I thought to go through. I probably have a few egg heads too. Anyway thanks for the reminder.
    Ray recently posted…How Long Does It Take Google To Show My Authorship Face?My Profile

Always a good tip Lisa and I keep mine pretty clean. I’ll check every once in a while to see who hasn’t tweeted in awhile but I’m never following anyone really who just doesn’t tweet. I also don’t have any faceless connections or totally inactive friends. That’s why I’m not following as many people that are following me. A lot of them are probably going after the numbers where I’m going after awesome people.

I use ManagerFlitter to clean up my account, been using that one for years now and they keep improving their service. It works beautifully.

Great reminder, thanks!

Adrienne recently posted…Google Analytics Knows Who Shares Your ContentMy Profile

• Sherryl Perry

I unfollow users about once a month. I can’t remember which tool sends me a monthly list of people who have unfollowed me. (It may be Twellow.) That always motivates me to want to unfollow them back (if I am following them). My favorite tool to do this is manageflitter.com. After it checks your Twitter account, it returns all sorts of interesting views that you can use to determine who you want to unfollow.

In addition to identifying those who aren’t following you, it also identifies fake followers, followers without profile pics, inactive, quiet etc. The free version fits my needs.
    Sherryl Perry recently posted…How Many Social Networking Sites Should You Join?My Profile

• Mitch Mitchell

I see no one mentioned the one I use (that seems to happen often lol) which is Unfollowers.me. It’s pretty simple and works okay. I miss my old one though.
    Mitch Mitchell recently posted…Don’t Be Bullied About Your Blog Or Web SpaceMy Profile

• Hi Lisa, thanks for the post. To be honest, the people I like to unfollow the most are those that tweet too much. Ironically, they are people heralded as mavens of social media.
    Andrew Healey recently posted…One thing every web writer should know about social mediaMy Profile

I was unfollowing people every once in a while but what Ted mentions above has got me thinking.

I’m not sure now whether to unfollow them or not. My Twitter feed is far too active for me to keep up with and maybe it’s the more active Tweeters that I need to unfollow?!
    Tim Bonner recently posted…WordFence To The RescueMy Profile

• Rahul says:

I son’t use Twitter that much, but I have few tweets in my account but they are not mine. Is someone else tweeting on my behalf? How can I resolve it?

• RobG says:

Hello Lisa, I use a number of site to help my social media, Managerflitter is one another one is Just Unfollow.

Thanks so much for a great share Lisa.

Out of the 3 tools you have mentioned, I’ve been using Tweepi :) I like the options it has and easy to use tool too. I’ve seen folks tweeting “I’ve unfollowed with JustUnfollow” too. It’s preference, right? :)

However it’s not essential if you ask me as I don’t have much to unfollow :D lol… I follow as I get to know and very rare I unfollow someone too.

As I think if someone don’t tweet for 6 months or long, we can safely remove them, no? :) AND it’s really important mentioning about following and unfollowing too much, as Twitter doesn’t like it. Well, that’s how tools work.

I really like the reasons you have mentioned there Lisa :) Especially the 6th one. Ha ha… Of course they need Buffer, HootSuite or something similar to schedule. My vote goes for Buffer though ;)

One more thing though. When someone intrudes a conversation with links and/or shows off spammy behavior, I tend to unfollow ‘em too. Twitter is not all about promotion. no? :)

Hope I haven’t been unfollowed for not tweeting much lately :D lol…

You have a wonderful weekend with lovely Spring flowers Lisa :)

Mayura recently posted…Add a Twitter Tab for Your Facebook Page with WooboxMy Profile

Hi Mayura, it sounds like you are on the same page with me on this on about Twitter and unfollowing. I like Tweepi the best too now over just unfollow and you know how much I love the Buffer, it’s not a good day unless my buffers are filled up :) I agree on the spammy behavior too, great point. You seem to be on Twitter almost daily do I would not worry about being unfollowed. I hope your projects are going well there. Enjoy the rest of your day :)

• Yetunde says:

I have not thought to unfollow inactive twitter fans because I sometimes am not as active as I should be. I’m trying to improve but life happens outside social media. I am looking forward to being more active on twitter. Takes a while but I get there eventually.
    Thanks for sharing this.
    Its always good to know.

• Barry Wells

Spring is in the air :) I’ve been getting back into work by having a spring clean on my blog and removing old dead links etc.

When i first started on Twitter I was following a course that told us to auto follow to gain followers fast. Little did I know at the time what a mistake that was, I had all sorts of clowns following me that I automatically followed back.

I saw an unsavoury tweet on my stream and thought “What….. People will think i’m into that crap” and quickly put it right.

I followed a post by Mayura last year about Tweepi so ran my account through it…. Boy oh boy was I surprised by the amount of fake and flat followers.

I did do a mass unfollow and luckily got away with it, but now I know about Twitter Jail I’ll be more careful in future.

Thanks Lisa, great tips on twitter :D

Barry
    Barry Wells recently posted…Blog Feed Error Resolved… Sort OfMy Profile

Hi Barry, so far I like Tweepi the best of all the tools I’ve tried. Yes, I do remember that one from Mayura – fake followers :) I like how it shows the last time someone was active and if they are fake too. It still amazes me as to how many tools they are out there for this function with Twitter. It’s nice to see you back online Barry, I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday.
      Lisa recently posted…Plug-In Happy – Are Plug-Ins Really Magical?My Profile

• Speaking of twitter jail, I follow Rosanne Cash and she has been in twitter jail a few times. A couple of weeks ago I did a good twitter clean up, then the next day noticed I lost about 25 followers. Now, I try to un-follow only those who are truly annoying or are not following me.
    Savvy Working Gal recently posted…Catherine the Great: Portrait of a WomanMy Profile

• I really find it annoying when I have so many followers who are not beneficial to me. I’d rather have few who gives relevant information to me than have tons which are useless anyway.
    Jeremy Norton recently posted…Business to Business Marketing StrategiesMy Profile

• Silviu

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write about Twitter. I’m a big fan of Twitter. Everything related to Twitter is important to me. I clean my account from time to time. Not regularly. During my first month on Twitter I had no idea that I need to make some cleaning.
    I liked very much the idea of connecting people, being polite, making relationships etc. I used DM a lot. It was so nice to say thank you to people for following me. One day I said thank you to a person then I checked him and realized he is not a real person. It was a fake follower. I said “thank you” to a ghost.
    I was so embarrassed and pissed off that I immediately decided to check my account for any other ghosts. I found a lot of eggs, people who buy followers etc. From that day I gave up sending DM’s to thank people. I do this only for those people who are real and I respect, admire etc..
    Then I realized it is not so easy to clean my account so I searched for a software to help me do that more efficiently. Now I’m using MangeFlitter and it works fine.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day
    Silviu recently posted…Smart Twitter Manager Tools Are Life SaversMy Profile

Hi Silviu, welcome to Inspire to Thrive. I love Twitter myself. My favorite online place to be. I don’t use the DM’s anymore for thanking followers. I find them a little silly now. I’d rather interact via the stream with new followers, etc. Only if it’s a personal messsage with I use DM or to help someone out if I found a mistake and I didn’t want the world to know. I’ve used ManageFlitter too and had forgotten about it as I signed in a few weeks ago after others mentioned here in the comments too. There are so many ways or apps for Twitter it boogles my mind! Thanks for coming by and for your input on this subject Silviu, have a great weekend!
      Lisa recently posted…Are You Ready For The Next SEO Penguin At Your Blog?My Profile

• Nobody likes inactive Twitter users, which is why I try to be as active on it as possible. If you can’t be active on it, I always recommend using something like Buffer which will help space out your tweets. It’s also helpful if you’re article surfing or something and you want to share with your followers, but you don’t want to annoy them by tweeting them all out at once.
    James McAllister recently posted…How Safe Is Your iPhone From Malware?My Profile

• Chetan Gupta

I really impressed from this post. Twitter is really a great social networking website. Having more followers can helps to make a new engaged community. And there is a twitter tool named Tweepdash which helps to remove followers who are not following you back. I think you know about this lisa. right??? I appreciate with you. Actually I have also written a post related to twitter followers recently so I think why not to check others post and came across to your post. Thanks once again for sharing.