Sponsored Tweets, Your Value, Money Making Blogging

I just love getting this email in my inbox from Sponsored Tweets:

“Good news! You just got paid for tweeting”

I realized the other day it had been 4 months – since the end of October that I started a Pro Account at Sponsored Tweets. Since then I have earned over $85.00. That is $21.25 per month minus the $1.99 fee for Pro = $19.26. Where else can you invest $1.99 and earn $19.26? I don’t think your local bank will pay you anywhere near that for putting in $1.99/ month. That is over 90% interest on your money!

I then wondered if I was at the point to raise my price per tweet. I had increased it to $5 per tweet from $2 per tweet when I went Pro. It really made a difference! I received more offers. What if I increased it another dollar? I asked Sponsored Tweets via Twitter of course and quickly received an answer:

Sponsored Tweets and Your Value

That is where I went wrong in the beginning. I did not value myself enough. I thought why would they pay me several dollars to tweet? Is that something you have done with your products or services? Have you ever priced yourself too low?

Make a pledge to yourself right now, to declare that you are worth your time and energy. ― Deborah Day

When you price yourself too low you are telling the world you are really not worth it. You can always start high with your pricing and then cut your price. That is much easier than raising your prices.

Value of Tweets

Many companies don’t have the time to be tweeting all day and night. They pay for others to do it for them. That’s where the Sponsored Tweets come in. They choose peeps via their interests and by the numbers of followers on Twitter. This is where you come in. You can make money tweeting their promotions. Since you put in your interests when you sign up – most tweets will be relevant in your Twitter stream. If not you can always refuse an offer.  I have refused some. Once you get the email that you have been paid for tweeting you can transfer the money to your bank account when you hit $25.00 with a pro account. It’s the quickest way to earn a little extra cash. They guide you what to write for your tweet and they pick the best time to tweet it. What could be easier? If you love to tweet like me, it’s a no-brainer.

UPDATE – Also log in weekly to check for updates in your opportunities folder. They now offer some with a pay per click formula – usally a few cents for each click. They can add up as well.

Affiliate Money Making

Another money making part of blogging and having websites is having affiliate programs. I have been averaging $25/month in that arena. There are 2 out of 10 affiliates that are being the money makers. I will concentrate more on those 2 going forward. They say the 80/20 rule applies to sales. 80% of your sales comes from 20% of your clients. Should you concentrate your efforts on thosee 20% more? Just don’t ignore the 80% either. Does there come a point when you drop ones that are not producing anything? I know I hate to give up on anything.

What about you? Are you finding ways to make money via your blog? Have you dropped things that did not produce sales?

She has 20+ years experience in marketing/advertising with 4 years experience blogging, social media and SEO. Get her new eBook Tweeting Like It's 2nd Nature Today!
m4s0n501

67 Responses to Sponsored Tweets, Your Value, Money Making Blogging

• Tom

Hi Lisa! I have heard about sponsored tweets but never tried it my self.There are rumors that some “big name” bloggers make as much as $100 per tweet! This could be a great new income stream for many bloggers.
    Tom recently posted…How Posting Classified Ads Can Help Your Affiliate Marketing CampaignsMy Profile

I remember your earlier post about it, and though I did head over to give it a look I didn’t really follow it up. However, once you have tried it out and you truly vouch for it – I guess it does make sense. However, I guess we might have to create a different twitter handle from the one we have right now, or do you manage to send these sponsored tweets with the same handle? I know you can choose topics that you are interested in as you mentioned, but even then I wonder how it all would be working – just curious. :)

Thanks for sharing. :)
    Harleena Singh recently posted…The Father Who Had No TimeMy Profile

• Sapna

HI Lisa,

Great share!

I went through the website, they are partnering with an Indian media company(UTV), this is a great news. I can surely explore that now as the company involved appeared to be the gem in media.

Thanks for this awesome share.

Sapna

• Shalu Sharma

This is very interesting. I am on it but so far I have only got one offer and when I tried to tweet it, did not work. I did not bother to go back to it. But now that you are saying some good things about it, I might consider going back to it. What do I need to do so that advertisers can find you? Perhaps it might be a good idea to try out the paid account a few months.
    Shalu Sharma recently posted…Holi – Festival of ColorsMy Profile

• Evan

It’s about time Twitter stepped in to save the “Twitter ecosystem!” Love your phraseology and am delighted that they’re stepping in to preserve such a wonderful and free platform from would be corporate poachers.
    Evan recently posted…The best WordPress themes for Designers 2013 – Part 2My Profile

I would love to make some extra money. What’s the minimum number of followers you need to qualify for the sponsored tweet program?

Occasionally, I get emails from people who want to pay for advertised links at my blog. I’m charging a fee now if a company wants me to write a post for them. In the past, when I agreed to allow a guest post at my site, the article was so poorly written, I had to rewrite the entire article. It took up a large chunk of my time. No more freebies unless it’s for the arts.

I agree with you about setting a higher rate for your services. “You get what you pay for!”

One company wanted to create a page on my blog. I was afraid of losing control of my content, so I said no.
    Lauren recently posted…Empty Ester, An Accident in ProgressMy Profile

• Theodore Nwangene

How was your weekend?

I have heard of sponsored tweet before but has never paid much attention to it. Of cause yes, there are some numerous things that I’ve dropped before that did not bring any sales, but we just have to keep trying.

Yea, there are some things I’m planning to do to make money with my blog.

Thanks for sharing.
    Theodore Nwangene recently posted…My First Dough OnlineMy Profile

• Bren says:

That’s awesome Lisa! I dabble a bit with Sponsored Tweets and have made a teeny bit. Nothing like you though! Wow! I’ve recently add a few affiliates that “give back” when items are purchased to Pibbles & Me. The goal is to be able to take that “give back” and give to the local No-Kill Shelter here. Although I just started doing it, not much has come in yet but I’m looking for other ways to “get” and then “give”.

Kudo’s to you gf! Congrats!

Thanks for sharing this opportunity with us. I’ve been a pro member for about four months now and I’ve managed to make a little money.

I’ve gotten more opportunities and even referrals yay :) but I haven’t gotten a tweet from them ;)

Glad it’s working out for you Lisa! I so wanna be you when I grow up, LOL!
    Corina Ramos recently posted…What Would You Do If You Were CEOMy Profile

Hi Corina, what do you mean you haven’t gotten a tweet from them? If you had opporutunities you tweeted right? I did see one or two of yours because I re-tweeted to help you out :) The more followers you get – will help you. Just get them organically. you are a great sharer you should have no trouble getting more followers. You are too funny Corina, want to be me? ? LOL.
      Lisa recently posted…Sponsored Tweets, Your Value, Money Making BloggingMy Profile

• Karen Woodham

I’ve had a complete slump in SponsoredTweets for a while, not had any offers for ages, which isn’t really a good sign, but fingers crossed that it will start to slowly build up again soon.
    Karen Woodham recently posted…SciFi Weekender 2013 Part One: Early Bird ArrivalMy Profile

Well congratulations Lisa, that’s fantastic. Who doesn’t want to earn a little extra and if it’s promoting products that you approve of then that’s even better.

I didn’t check this service out either because I just had so much going on at that time. Just one more thing to check out right! But it sounds like it’s working very well for you and that’s what’s really important. Great job and thanks for sharing your results with us.

Now, enjoy your week.

Adrienne recently posted…In Search Of The Perfect Author Bio BoxMy Profile

Thanks Adrienne. It’s one of the easiest and quickest things I’ve done. So don’t worry about losing time. I’d give you 20 minutes for set-up and that’s it. You wait for email saying you have an offer and that takes 2 minutes to compose the tweet that they suggest. I’ve done them right from my mobile. Maybe they should have an app for that :) I hope you enjoy the rest of your week Adrienne.

I must admit, I’ve never heard of sponsored Tweets. I guess it’s somewhat similar to Facebook sponsored posts, just formatted to the Twitter ecosystem.

I have a lot of work to do on the social network side of things. I have the necessary accounts, but I haven’t taken the time to learn the intricacies of them yet. Plate’s just too full right now, but it’s on the goal list for this year.

This is definitely something I’ll want to check out as I continue to grow my Twitter following!

Thanks for sharing your results and I hope you have an awesome week!

~Barry
    Barry Overstreet recently posted…Do You Know Who Your Target Market IsMy Profile

But Barry you don’t get paid to promote posts in Facebook, right? (I don’t think so). I understand about a full plate, I just received an email to join another site – I had to delete that one. It would have put me over the “edge.” Yes once you grow your following it doesn’t take long, believe me, I would not do it if it did. 20 minutes to set up and then only when you receive an offer, you do a tweet that they suggest, 1 minute. 1 minute to make $6. I like that! I’m hoping to get up to $10 soon per tweet. I hope the rest of your week is productive Barry.

• Kita says:

I have heard of them and actually signed up because I sign up for things that I will not have time for lol. I have not put them to use at all I think I want a more personal relationship with companies not fill my TL up with stuff just to make a quick buck.
    Kita recently posted…Creamy Spaghetti CasseroleMy Profile

Hi Kita, It really takes no time to do the sponsored tweets. After you set up your account you just wait for email. IF you don’t like the companies offer you can refuse it. I’ve refused some that don’t make sense for my Twitter feed. Most are fun offers for Disney, movies, etc. I only do a few per month as you can see at $6 each and early around $22 per month (I used to get $5 per tweet) it doesn’t fill up your feed at all. Thanks for coming by on this one Kita. Have a wonderful day.

• John says:

This was a good post, If anyone wants to start blogging or anyone who has just started should read this article about making money as a blogger.

Wonderful :) Really nice how you come with extra money with a little investment. Didn’t earn that much with affiliates Lisa?

I’ve signed up last time you introduced this service, but I had no offers to tweet out initially. Anyway I think they will weight especially on number of followers, no? :)

After all I’ve decided to cut down affiliates on my blog and focus on services. I’ve made some money through offering services, and still experimenting with HootSuite so far though I wanted no affiliates this year. Still in the experiment level :)

I’ve been using Infolinks and it’s generating few bucks too. However my focus is on services where I can value myself and I’d love to do :)

Main problem for me is receiving payments. PayPal not allowing me to receive money to Sri Lanka, so I had to give up on many advertising platforms though readers encouraged me to place ads.

Mayura recently posted…How to Add Your Website to Google Webmaster ToolsMy Profile

Hi Mayura, oh yes, I also included my affiliates which is averaging a little more than the Sponsored Tweets. Some months a bit more, depends on time of year I guess. I’ll have to hear more on your infolinks Mayura. I can’t believe PayPal is not in SriLanka or letting you receive money there from them. I hope that changes for you Mayura because you could rock with ome of the advertising platforms. Have a wonderful day there, probably heading into night :)

• Jaimie says:

I love this post. It is honest and true and makes the very important point that blogging is a long term strategy. Too many think they can blog for 6 months and make a fortune. But like you say it’s hard work. It’s about building a strong following, delivering quality content, defining your niche and putting your stamp on the world.

Thanks for your inspiration,
    Jaimie recently posted…Are we a nation of shopping addicts?My Profile

• Praveen Rajarao

Lisa – I had read your earlier post about Sponsoredtweets and I actually signed up for a Pro membership, but never really made any money out of it. Maybe my twitter account is not having the right amount of followers with like minded interests :-)

Not sure what happened, but i did not even follow up on that. Maybe, it is time now, after reading this article, i do want to see if there might be some changes :-)

Lets see how it goes.
    Praveen Rajarao recently posted…How Beneficial Is Facebook and Twitter for Your BusinessMy Profile

• Atish Ranjan says:

I never heard about it. Thanks for the info. Yes praveen I too think that you should be having a great base of like minded people as follower in order to make good money. :)
    Atish Ranjan recently posted…Dreaming of Blogging Success? You Need to Understand This!My Profile

• Cam says:

you’ve got me thinking about going pro with sponsored tweets. I always wondered if it was worth it to have the pro account. I think you’ve made a good case for it!

• Sue Neal

I haven’t tried making money from my blog yet, but intend to do so in the coming months. Never heard of sponsored tweets – they sound like fun, so it’s something I might explore. You’re a wealth of information – always learn something new here – thank you!

Sue
    Sue Neal recently posted…8 Blogging Tips From Some PenguinsMy Profile

• Maneesha says:

Great sound Lisa, Nice post. This is really effective information for Blog reader

• Koundeenya

That’s so cool Lisa!

Another point added to the make-money-online list. Sponsored Tweets! Ah! Sounds great. I’m sure, a lot of people will start using bots to get more followers so as to earn more through tweets. But this ain’t gonna work. Only when we have true followers, we can expect clicks in return which indirectly raises the price. Having thousands of autobot followers doesn’t gonna help in either ways.

And we can get genuine followers, only by sharing other’s content- The Ultimate Rule of Social Media.

Thanks for sharing,.

• Ellen M. Gregg

Okay… Whoa. Where have I been? What sparkly pink rock have I been under? This is news to me. Do you get a kickback for referrals, if I mention you? Mind = blown. :idea:

• Susan Silver

I suddenly feel inspired to dig into research for affiliate stuff and sponsored things for the blogs. I have been using Quantcast for the past month and I actually know demographics of the people who visit my blog. Combining that with my stats should lead me in a direction that might earn me some money.

I might try sponsored tweeting if I can hook up with people that I can endorse. I am assuming you get to make choices about what you tweet or don’t tweet.

Susan, what is Quantcast? You got me wondering here. You do get to make choices – you can refuse an offer to tweet for a company. I’ve refused a few. And I only get about an average of 1 per week but at a payout of $6 for the $1.99/mo. it got me excited! I hope to get more and to get my price up over time. No rush. I want to do it right and have the right followers, not just everyone and anyone, you know? Quality over quantity. Thanks for coming by Susan!

• RobG says:

Hello Lisa, I have never heard of Sponsored tweets, but it sounds like you did well for starters.
    The way I see it if you can earn a little from services like that I say go for it because I know that’s what most people are looking for these to make a few bucks doing what they enjoy…

Thanks so much for the share.
    RobG recently posted…Please Read: Converting Over To AWeber, Keep Your Eyes OpenMy Profile

• Jeremy Norton says:

I didn’t know you could earn by sponsored tweets with so little to invest. I wanna try this one also.

• I never heard about this. So, it is the most important news to me in 2013 so far. I should learn more about sponsored tweets. Thanks for informing me.
    Majharul Hossain recently posted…Monetize your blog perfectly- With Google AdSense.My Profile

• Rashmi Sinha

I have just started my blog and this post have given me a brilliant idea to spread the word around and earn while doing so. My mind and eyes are wide open now.

Thanks for this share. I appreciate your effort.
    Rashmi Sinha recently posted…Are you a mobile gamer: Now develop it yourselfMy Profile

• Jens P. Berget

This is very interesting Lisa. I had no idea that it was possible to earn that kind of money from Sponsored Tweets. I signed up with them a long time ago, and just tested it for a few weeks (the free version) and nothing really happened. Now, I need to consider if I should give it another test :)

I am not earning much money from my blog, and that’s something I need to focus on during 2013.
    Jens P. Berget recently posted…A single tear makes all the difference in the worldMy Profile

• Kelly says:

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of getting paid for tweeting. Thanks for sharing this amazing opportunity with us. This could also add to my income.

• Kristine says:

Tweeting for money. I’ll definitely try this out since I spend almost half the day online. Thanks for writing about this opportunity.

• Jennifer Cunningham

Are you tweeting to your contact list for this sponsored tweet? Unique approach
    Jennifer Cunningham recently posted…Create the Best Backlinks to the WebsiteMy Profile

• NY Daily Quote says:

I also use Sponsored Tweets and I´m fairly satisfied. I just wish they would let us decide when the tweet goes out. (I know when my followers are most active and ST clearly does not.)

I´ve been thinking about trying the Pro service, but so far haven´t had a convincing reason to do so. Did you get more offers once you “went pro”?

• NY Daily Quote says:

Hey, Lisa, I wanted to let you know that after reading your response, I decided to go pro and you were right: almost immediately I began to get more (and better) offers. The $1.99 a month pays itself. Thanks for your advice!