5 Reasons To Write An Ebook Based On Your Niche Blog

Hello, Inspire To Thrive readers!

I am deeply grateful to Lisa for the privilege of discussing one of my favorite topics with you today: ebooks and their potential.

I’ve been a writer since I could form words into sentences. All through school, I read incessantly (books that would have made my mother’s hair go gray even sooner than it did), and fashioned my own stories and poems. After assisting another author to publish her debut novel, I finally published my first book – a young adult fiction novel, in ebook form – back in late December. I’m thisclose to completing my second book, a romantic comedy, which will be published very soon.

I am smitten with the ability to publish my own works with a good degree of ease, and also with the related possibilities.

Would you indulge me by answering a few questions?

Yes or No

• You’ve worked hard to develop a niche blog. Yes or no?
  • You write about a subject for which you have a lot of passion and knowledge. Yes or no?
  • You have posts rich with evergreen material hidden deep in your archives. Yes or no?

If you’re a subscriber – or you clicked through a link on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter – to Inspire To Thrive, chances are you answered “yes” to at least two, if not all three, of those questions. And if I was to hazard a guess, I suspect that if there was a “no” among your answers, it was for the third statement. Am I right? Well, forgive me, please, but I suspect you’re wrong. I suspect you’re three for three, and that’s a very good thing.

Ebooks Are Big Business, and Getting Bigger

Contrary to what traditionalists prefer to think, ebooks are here to stay.

At this moment (12:38pm on Tuesday, March 5, 2013), there are 1,909,868 ebooks available for sale on Amazon.com.

That’s just on Amazon. I didn’t even look at KoboSmashwords, iTunes, Google Play Books, or Barnes & Noble.

It’s predicted that 65% of all children in the United States will have access to a digital reading device by the end of 2013. It’s also predicted that ebook sales will reach at least 45% of the U.S. trade book market.

Readers don’t need to own a Kindle or a Nook to read an ebook. Just as is the case with email and blogs, ebooks can be read on iPods, smartphones, tablets, and computers. In some cases, devices will sync, so if you happened to start reading an ebook on your Kindle, you can continue reading it on your smartphone, and finish reading it on your laptop, if you want.

Ebooks are convenient. You can carry a library of books with you, everywhere you go, if you own a digital device.

Ebooks are affordable, too. They’re way more affordable than print books. Prices for ebooks start at free, and go up from there. $2.99 to $3.99 is considered the “sweet spot” when it comes to ebook pricing for a novella (25,000/30,000+ words) to a full-length novel (60,000+ words). Shorter works – novelettes, short stories, and even essays – in the 5,000- to 20,000-word range are being sold at the $.99 and $1.99 price points, or given away.

What This Means For You

5 Reasons To Write An Ebook Based On Your Niche Blog

You, on your niche blog, have established yourself as an expert. People read your posts because they trust you to impart accurate and helpful information about your niche.

Imagine how much more of an expert you would be considered if you were to author a book based on that information. You would compile a number of your evergreen posts, or type up a new work based on your hard-earned knowledge, and use that material to create a professional, easy-to-digest, go-anywhere ebook. The back matter of the ebook, and perhaps even the cover, would tie into the brand you’ve built.

You would post a linked image of it in the sidebar of your blog, which would take your readers either to a PayPal checkout screen, or to Amazon or Smashwords. Or, perhaps you would link to a PDF that can be read online or downloaded, as the reader prefers. You would add it to the publications section of your LinkedIn profile. You might mention it on Facebook and Twitter now and again (you don’t want to be a human spambot), with a link, of course, which renders it easily shareable. Your regular readers will be excited, and will share, too. The likelihood that more traffic will be driven to your niche site – to you – is, well, very likely.

5 (or 6) Reasons To Write An Ebook Based On Your Niche Blog

1. To establish yourself as even more of an expert in your niche.
  2. To add another facet to your brand.
  3. To dust off the valuable posts languishing in your archives, and share them with new readers.
  4. To offer your readers a convenient way to digest the best information you have to offer.
  5. To drive more traffic to your site.
  6. To fund your Starbucks addiction habit.

It’s a win-win situation. Your time and knowledge to compile and/or write new material, combined with a professional-looking cover that illustrates your topic, can yield an inestimable ROI. What are you waiting for? The sky isn’t even the limit anymore. Lisa did it. You can, too.

By the way, as of 1:28pm on Wednesday, March 6, 2013, there are 1,912,373 ebooks available on Amazon.com.

What do you think? Is this something you would consider? Do you feel it would be a boost for your site?

———————————————–

~Ellen M. Gregg, Writer, Reiki master/Teacher, Ebook Creator

Ellen M. Gregg

I'm a vegan writer and a Reiki master (also vegan), which means I write, and I heal, and I'm eating my way to good health. It doesn't mean I write about plants. That would make me a botanist. I think. I'm powered by love, laughter, coffee, wine, beer and plants. Lots and lots of plants.

Latest posts by Ellen M. Gregg (see all)

77 Responses to 5 Reasons To Write An Ebook Based On Your Niche Blog

Hi, Rakesh!

In my experience, the right time is when it feels right to you. The inexperience of your blog truly isn’t a factor. If you have extensive knowledge about a topic that you want to share, and feel confident you have enough material to create an ebook (which needn’t be long, by the way; novel-length is about 50,000 words, but for the purpose of a niche-related ebook, around 10,000 words would be plenty), then there’s no reason you have to wait.

Peace. ~Ellen

• Rakesh Narang says:

I have thought about doing this several times, but the inexperience of my blog holds me from creating one. What do you think is the right time to create an eBook. At the initial stage itself, or when you hit x number of subs. I see people writing shit content, which really doesn’t do anything, but make reader pissed.

• Alex says:

I think we have a tendency to think we do not know enough to put an ebook out there. This post is perfect for getting those creative juices flowing. There is always someone that does not know what we know especially if it comes with some experience behind it.

• Jack says:

Writing an ebook is one of important way to get better SEO such as uploading ebook in format doc or pdf to the document directory such as DocStoc and Scribd, and also don’t forget to input links to website or blog for getting more backlinks will affect to SEO.

• Ellen M. Gregg

It might help SEO, Jack. I think it’s more about establishing yourself as an authority on your topic, though. PDF format is a good one, but I don’t recommend a Word doc. Better to do an epub and/or a mobi format, in addition to PDF. Thanks for commenting! 🙂

• Emilia says:

Very timely article to read since I am now writing an ebook myself. Somebody encouraged me and I’m giving it a try. Honestly, I don’t know how it will turn out but for now, I am simply enjoying the experience. My friend told me to write something that my daughter will be proud of when she grows up. I am actually writing about my journey as a work-at-home mom — a choice I made a few years back mainly because of my daughter. Perhaps many have written about the same topic but I would love to have my daughter read her mother’s story and why I think it was among the best decisions I have made in my life. Thanks for sharing this article.

• Ellen M. Gregg

Such a wonderful thing to do, Emilia. It will be priceless for her to read, and it’s a great exercise for you to revisit your journey through a writer’s lens. Nice! 🙂

• Calra says:

It’s wonderful to know how deep your passion for writing is. I can completely relate with you because I’ve always been writing a lot of stuff as long as I can remember. Thanks for sharing this article with us.

• Fatima says:

E-books is the future of writing and the number of writers and readers are increasing in almost an equal proportion. Inspirational people like yourself always encourage newbies in the field:) Thanks for the share.

• Ellen M. Gregg

Fatima, you are absolutely right about the numbers of writers and readers growing in proportion. I’ve heard rumbles in the publishing industry about there being too many books available because of the ebook revolution. Umm… No. Not the case. That’s fear of change talking.

I’m happy to help! The world is clamoring for information, and ebooks are a near-perfect vehicle to deliver it. Thanks so much. 🙂

• Joy says:

I can’t thank you enough for how much you made things clear for me. I always thought that writing an ebook or two for your niche is just a waste of time, but it can actually help with the traffic boost. More power to your blog.

• Ellen M. Gregg

It definitely can be a boost, Joy. And on the back end of things, taking the time to write that ebook will work toward improving blogging/writing skills. There are multiple layers of goodness involved. 🙂

Thanks for the comment! I’m glad the post was helpful. 🙂

• Veronica says:

I have friends who are ebook writers as well as bloggers and I can attest to their success. Plus, you can help school children and students because of the ebooks that you made. Thank you very much for this post.

• Ellen M. Gregg

Excellent point, Veronica. It’s an easy thing to dedicate income from an ebook’s sales to a charity, if you wish. And that’s something that will also fold back into a blogger’s business in a very positive way.

I appreciate you commenting. 🙂

• Ellen M. Gregg

Thank you, Aayna. 🙂 They are the buzz word, for certain. I think the bloggers who are really focused on taking their blogs to higher levels will jump aboard.

Thanks for commenting. 🙂

• Aayna says:

A brilliantly written post!! ebooks are definitely the buzz word of today’s time. Each and every blogger is gearing up to bring ebooks, but the trick lies in coming up with the ebooks, when you have a considerable stuff that can keep the readers engaged. Reading your experience in this post was such a nice experience. Thanks for the share.

Thanks for commenting. 🙂

• This is my type of topic.

I’ve been a writer all my life too and I’ve written several eBooks, but I’m yet to write a “real” book, but it should be coming soon. Besides being a writer I am also a life coach so my book will be about self development.

Interestingly, my today’s post discuss the ways we can publish and promote a book nowadays. We are so fortunate that publishing a book has gotten so much easier and anyone can do it.

Thank you for all those great tips. Thank God I have no Starbucks habits what so ever 🙂
    Sylviane Nuccio recently posted…How To Write Your First Book – Part Two Publishing And PromotingMy Profile

• Ellen M. Gregg

The cool thing, Sylviane, is ebooks are real books. Equally so as paper and ink books. Times; they have changed, and for the best.

What great timing on that post! And, yes, you’re so right: anyone can publish a book. It’s a wonderful thing. 🙂

I’m with you on Starbucks – a now-and-again treat for me. Thanks for commenting! 🙂

• Sue Neal

Hi Ellen and Lisa,

This is something I’m already planning to do, just haven’t had time to get going on it yet, so thanks for this reminder. You’re so right – bloggers often have tons of material on their blogs that could quite easily be turned into eBooks.

You mention series being popular in fiction – I’ve heard they work very well in non-fiction books too and can lead to more sales, because each book in the series helps to promote the others – and people don’t like to think they’re missing out on something, so if they buy one of a series, chances are they’ll buy the rest.

Thanks for a very inspiring and helpful post,

Sue
    Sue Neal recently posted…Warning! Don’t Let Blogging Become a Pain in the NeckMy Profile

• Ellen M. Gregg

It’s my pleasure, Nizam. I’m glad you found it useful.

Thanks for commenting. 🙂

• Nizam Khan says:

Awesome and much useful post. Indeed, just on Amazon. Well yes, Ebooks are an excellent, to establish expertise in one’s niche and to drive more traffic to site/blog. Agreed, it’s a win to win situation and it can yield great ROI. Thanks for sharing and tweeted 🙂

• John says:

That’s why it’s really important to choose right niche while starting your first blog. If end of the day you’re forced to change your blog because of above mentioned reasons, means you’ve wasted your lot of time and efforts. So it’s crucial to choose correct niche.

• Ellen M. Gregg

Very true, John. I think the most important thing is to choose a niche that you are passionate about, so you can stay with it for both the long term and the long tail.

Thanks for the comment! 🙂

• Brian Hawkins

Hi Ellen, I’ve only written a few e-books in the past but never earned money from them, not directly. I gave a couple away for a subscription and another one away to members of a membership site I had for a few years. E-books a pretty easy to make, even if you don’t have access to Adobe PDF pro, there are free alternatives.
    Brian Hawkins recently posted…Why Big Business Has To Pay Facebook And You Might TooMy Profile

• Ellen M. Gregg

Brian, it sounds like you have loss leaders in place. Maybe time to put them to work toward selling your next ebook.

I do my writing in WriteWayPro, and then export it to Word for formatting. Some booksellers prefer the original document to be a .doc/.docx file, and others prefer a .pdf or .epub, so I save the document to the various formats and upload.

Thanks for commenting! 🙂

• Jaimie says:

Publishing a book would do several things for me: (1) It would follow in my father’s footsteps, (2) It would continue to enhance my platform, (3) It would stretch me to process things on the next level, (4) It might be the avenue to support additional missions projects.
    Jaimie recently posted…Are we a nation of shopping addicts?My Profile

• Ellen M. Gregg

Jaimie, you identified a very personal reason many writers choose to become authors: legacy. My father has authored several short pieces for various publications, and one of his sisters – therefore one of my aunts – published two books of poetry during her lifetime. It’s another cherry on top of an already sweet proposition.
      As for the other items you mentioned, I’d say they’re a win-win-win. 🙂 Thanks so much for commenting.

• Jeremy Norton says:

Love this post. Choosing a niche both for blogs and ebooks should be the same as this will be very helpful in promoting yourself in that niche, and thus having many people to trust in you,
    Jeremy Norton recently posted…How to Evict a TenantMy Profile

• Ellen M. Gregg

Good point, Jeremy, in regards to the niche you choose for you blog in conjunction with your ebook niche. That’s why fiction authors with blogs are niche equally as much as social media blogs. It is a(nother) great promotional tool, for sure. Thanks for commenting. 🙂

• Ellen M. Gregg

Greed is a funny thing. Of course, they want the little guy to succeed if it means they’ll make more money. The nice thing is, we can sell direct from our websites (as long as Select isn’t part of the equation). 🙂

Hi Ellen,

Great, informative post. Congratulations on publishing your YA book. It’s interesting how eBook demand has changed the way publishers do business. The masses, backed by Amazon and Apple, have initiated change in a highly conservative industry. If only it could be done in Washington.

I’ve flirted with the idea of publishing an eBook. I self-published a book the old fashioned way years ago and sold it to local stores. I’ve thought of revising it and publishing it. I haven’t done anything with it yet. I’ve been revising a memoir. I have to research illustrated eBooks. A friend of mine illustrated the book. I bought the illustrations from him and own them.

I’ve published over 400 posts at my blog. Plenty of archived material for a book. We’ll see. : )

Thanks for the great read.
    Lauren recently posted…Ethereal WhispersMy Profile

Hi Ellen,

Yes, welcome to Lisa’s blog and great post you shared with us today.

Lisa is the perfect example of taking this and running with it. Me personally, I’m more about giving away the farm whether it’s in the form of blog posts, reports or eBooks. I’ve yet to write one and actually charge for it although it was on my agenda for this year. I’m still not sure whether I want to go that route only because I’ve also learned that you’re not going to get rich by writing just one book. It’s got to be more of a series and that’s just not an area I want to delve into. I prefer going for product creation and putting all my information into that area.

Great share though and this is probably the best route for a lot of people to take if nothing else, get their toes wet.

Congratulations on your own books, very impressive.

You ladies have a wonderful day and weekend too. By the way, happy international women’s day!

Adrienne recently posted…Change Your Thoughts By Playing The Prosperity GameMy Profile

• Andrea says:

This is really great info. I had never considered an Ebook, not sure I even knew what it was prior to reading your post. Thanks for sharing!

Aha! Another one converted to the light side… [rubs hands together gleefully] 😉

Welcome, Andrea! 🙂 I love introducing people to new ideas. 😀

• Cynthia

I love ebooks. I have not thought about trying to publish one even though I write alot. I always just keep them tucked away on my many flash drives.
    Cynthia recently posted…Are you still pretending to be sixteen when it comes to health issues?My Profile

• Ellen M. Gregg

Non-fiction or fiction, Cynthia? It’s definitely something worth considering. Maybe gift yourself with a read-through of some past works and see if there are any that jump out as strong possibilities.

• Michelle says:

Your post has got me thinking! Really helpful information…thank you!!

• Rosy says:

Thanks for the cute article. I am in the work of an ebook to giveaway free on my blog. So this article will help me a lot.
    I am an ebook seller (GSOCGuide.com). At first I used e-junkie but it is not profitable because selling is harder and honestly I am not getting sales every month. So I am using Lulu.com. They are just great.
    Thanks for the post

• Ellen M. Gregg

Good for you, and for your readers, Rosy. That scenario, especially at the outset, is a win-win. It builds confidence with your intended audience, and provides a very nice platform for subsequent books, for which you can charge a fee. I am working with CreateSpace (Amazon’s print-on-demand service) for my print books, and like what they have to offer. I’m glad to know Lulu is working well for you. 🙂

• Hyptia says:

Yes this will be the great thought because this is nice way to introduce himself in front of others and you can also make your network as well with the help of this.

• Ellen M. Gregg

Exactly right, Hyptia. If you’ve produced a quality product, and you are marketing it appropriately – and to your target audience – it’s another credential for you. Very well said. 🙂

• Astro Gremlin says:

Sooo, Ellen, let’s say a writer isn’t Stephen King but writes a decent e-book on a good topic. How much money can you make? You mentioned Starbucks money. Amazon may have a million + e-books but a lot of them aren’t any good. How many of those $2 or $3 buck paychecks can you make in, say, a month. I’ve always written for money, until I started blogging on “spec” and after two years only making a few bucks a week. Not complaining, just wondering if e-books are different.
    Astro Gremlin recently posted…Funny Irish Toasts Old and NewMy Profile

Hi, Astro! Fabulous question, multi-layered answer:

1) You can’t be Stephen King – only Stephen King gets to be Stephen King. You need to use your voice to convey your message.
      2) If you’re looking to make serious money, you’re going to need a few things: more than one ebook, an extremely professional product, and patience. Those who are making big money are those who are in it for the long-term, have written multiple books, and whose books – from front cover to back matter – are polished to a high shine.

What that means is, if you’re looking for a quick buck, “it ain’t gonna happen.” If, however, you are invested in producing polished products that will build upon each other, you could do very well – maybe pay for your coffee and a pastry. 😉

• Ellen M. Gregg

I should add, after the ever-so-slightly teasing at the end of my reply, that it is possible to make a substantial amount of money by writing and selling ebooks. What it comes back to is this: the ratio of what you get back to what you put in will grow more advantageous when what you put in finds its audience.

What can you provide? What need do you fill? What service do you offer? What to do you know that sets you apart?

Now I need my coffee – and it’s not Starbucks, just for the record. 🙂

• Dan Black

Great post Ellen,

I’m in the process of writing an eBook. I look forward to sharing it with the world. My book is within my niche and passion areas and know my readers (both current and future:) will enjoy it.

Congratulations on your book! That’s great!

• Ellen M. Gregg

Good for you, Dan! The phrase “think big” just came to mind for you; maybe you’ll know what to make of that. 🙂 Much luck on your endeavor.

• Dan Black

It speaks to me on a couple different levels. Both the potential of the book and my personal self confidence. Thanks you for sharing your thoughts after reading my comment.
        Dan Black recently posted…Serving QuotesMy Profile

• Kyle Nelson says:

The stats alone that you have shared has motivated me to keep working on an ebook. I have all my passions and thoughts in my mind about my niche blog i just need to get it all on “paper” haha actually i guess the screen?! Anyways ebook sales are skyrocketing and it is obviously a trend that is continueing to grow. Time to jump on the band wagon and get a chunk for ourselves.

• Theodore Nwangene

Great topic Ellen,
    You’ve said it all but i can’t help but tell you what i think too. Its very obvious that ebook has come to stay just as you said and the earlier we start reaping the rewards associated with it the better for us.

Just as you pointed out here, two of the main reason’s why i will consider writing an ebook is to prove myself as an expert on my field and to also add some more income stream to my business.

Right now, I’m just planning on writing one as soon as I’m through with the things I’m doing at the moment.

I can’t agree more Ellen.

Thanks for sharing.

@ Lisa, thanks for introducing her to us.
    Theodore Nwangene recently posted…Top 5 Reasons Why Your Business Needs a BlogMy Profile

• Sapna

HI Ellen,

Great post!

It appears that ebook is the call of the day, I have not given a thought to it yet but with everyone giving a very serious thought to it, it appears to be a matter of concern for me now.

But I’d surely write a cartoon series if ever I make my mind of doing so.

Thanks Ellen and Lisa for this great share.

Sapna
    Sapna recently posted…Are you an Optimistic or Pessimistic blogger(Cartoon-graphics)My Profile

Hi, Sapna! 🙂

Cartoon series are more than viable for ebooks – they’re practically ideal, and can even be interactive.

Thanks so much for commenting. 🙂

• Bren says:

Well lookie who’s featuring on Inspire to Thrive today! My own personal inspiring friend Ellen! :mrgreen: This is an awesome post Ellen and is certain to get wheels spinnig in just about everyone’s head. Lisa’s EBook was fabulous imo. I am anxiously awaiting your 2nd one! I’ve been thinking about this since Lisa’s EBook and, time permitting, might try out one myself. I have envisions of a …. oh heck, I’m not gonna say it! Someone might beat me to the punch!

Anyway, I think you and Lisa are both right with these EBooks and if one has a Voice, one should share it via EBook!

Great seeing you here my friend! 😉

Hello Ellen,

So nice to meet you.

This post definitely has my wheels spinning. I’m actually thinking about all the material and notes I’ve collected over the years and wondering how I can put it all on an eBook, has such as nice sound to that 🙂

I’m in the middle of reading Lisa’s eBook and she makes it look so easy 🙂 and with all the benefits you’ve pointed out it is definitely worth going through the experience of putting one together.

Really enjoyed reading this post…looking forward to reading more of your work 🙂 Have a wonderful day!

Hi, Corina. 🙂

I’m glad I’ve got your wheels spinning. As they continue to do so, consider this context as a guide: Who is my reader? That’s who you want to write to, and for, in an engaging way that will both help them and keep them coming back for more.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting, and good luck with your project! 😀

Welcome Ellen to Lisa’s blog – nice to meet you 🙂

Absolutely! Writing an eBook has long been on my to-do list and I hope to complete one this year at least if not more. Yes indeed, I agree to all your points the most important being the reach it has, just as you mentioned in the post too.

Besides the traffic it gets to your blog, it also establishes you as an expert in your niche and all the other points you mentioned. I think there are all the plus points whatsoever in creating one for yourself.

Thanks for sharing. 🙂
    Harleena Singh recently posted…Are You Living An Ideal LifestyleMy Profile

• Ellen M. Gregg says:

Good for you, Harleena!

It’s been suggested that ebooks are the new calling card. Moving forward, from a business standpoint, that could well be the case.

Thanks so much for the comment. 🙂

Hi Ellen,

Nice to meet you here on Lisa’s place 🙂

Well, Lisa inspiring others thorugh her posts and actions. Her first ever eBook is a very good example. Oh me? Yet I’m not in the eBook authors list 😀 lol… Am I eligible to comment? 😯

I have an idea of eBook but there are some other alternatives I might like to try out too 🙂 An experiment doesn’t hurt, right?

I think eBook and videos are popular methodologies to build the authority 🙂 Why not? Generate traffic too. I’ve seen my friends doing it.

Now I have a question for you dear 😉 Do you think eBook is better than publishing a book with 10000s of word count? Well, let’s say in digital form.

Have a fabulous Thursday, Ellen and Lisa 🙂

Mayura recently posted…How to Pre-Format Your Posts in BloggerMy Profile

• Ellen M. Gregg says:

Hello, Mayura!

Experimentation is always good, because it involves creating, or, as Seth Godin calls it, “making a ruckus.”

As for your question: Better to do both. Fact is, print books are on the decline, and can be prohibitively expensive. When it comes to independently published books, an ebook might cost $3.99, but a paperback will be $12.99, or even more, because of printing costs. Nice to have both options – especially in this economy.

For myself, I don’t buy print books anymore. Aside from the expense, they take up precious living space.

Thanks so much for the comment. 🙂

• Ellen M. Gregg says:

I should add, ebooks can be 100,000+ words in length. Take Stephen King’s 11.22.63, for example. It’s over 100,000 words long. But…

It depends on what genre you’re writing in. In fiction, series are extraordinarily popular. Bestselling indie author Hugh Howey’s Wool series comes to mind. Also, by virtue of the fact that we tend to consume the written word in shorter formats – like blog posts 😉 – the average reader is less likely to commit to an epic than a novelette.

Lots to consider. 🙂