eBook Rough and High Waves to Completion

Ebook that had high waves on it’s way to completion

Have you ever wanted to do an eBook? Or maybe you have. If you have, I really appreciate all the work and time that it takes. I thought the writing would be hard. What was harder was the formatting and knowing what you need to do before you submit your eBook. That was a long and rough ride for me. I had to overcome the high waves.

Why an eBook?

I loved the challenge of coming up with a product for this blog. Traffic was increasing and I wanted to offer something to my loyal readers and help to teach others how to tweet. I ‘d been to networking events locally and many people were on Facebook but not Twitter. A few signed up for Twitter because of my recommendation but then were confused on how to tweet. So thanks to them for inspiring me to write my first eBook.

The Birth of an eBook

For the past year I had the eBook in my head. What really got me going was a post by Adrienne Smith on How to Be Productive So You Can Achieve the Internet Lifestyle where she introduced me to Steve Scott’s eBook. It was all about learning to productive with your online business. As Steve put it “Master Time, Increase Profits, Enjoy Life”. I love how he said most of us were an army of one. I could relate! I bet you could too. He is also a big fan of the old 80/20 rule as I am.  I started with his daily action plan and began writing the book, little by little. You can check out Steve’s book here. I have it dowloaded on my Droid and my Galaxy pad.  If I had not done it little by little I may not have ever started. Thank you to Adrienne and Steve for getting me into action!

The Writing of an eBook

The writing of an eBook was getting easier as I went along but time consuming. I had many old posts that I incorporated with more details and updated as I went along. I also did a little more research. I had written for the RISBJ (Rhode Island Small Business Journal) and I used some of the info I had researched for those articles. There was plenty of materials I had compiled but I wanted to keep it simple. (That was the uniqueness I wanted with this eBbook, simple!)  I wanted newbies to be able to follow and not be overhwhelmed. I included what has worked well for me on Twitter. I had planned to be done in January but my arm would not let me. The piched nerve slowed me down that month.

The Writing is Done, Now What?

This is where the ride got rough.  I wanted to sell this eBook outside of my loyal readers here. I had read how to format it for Amazon and Kindle. So I did. And then I went to submit and realized I need an ISBN which cost at least $100+.  Now I knew I could not spend that much for this eBook. I turned to Twitter and learned about Smashwords.

Why Smashwords?

There are many reasons I choose Smashwords. They are an eBook distributor. They make it fast and easy for people to publish eBooks. Perfect!  They make money by selling your eBooks to readers. The first reason I choose them was I could get an ISBN # for FREE. Free was for me. They also offered the eBook on many formats and platforms. Loved that! They take a percentage of commission on sales. Since they make it easy and help promote, why not? They have recommendatons of  people to help you with formatting and covers ( for a cost of course). After playing with the formatting and then submitting to learn it was wrong, I decided to hire one of their recommended people. Why spend hours when $15 would do it within 24 and I could work on my retail sites? Smashwords also has an affiliate program where all of the books there are automatically entered into. Very nice! You can at anytime re-load your eBook if you find errors. Another great feature!  Smashwords starts to send you money (Paypal being the easiest route) once you accrue $10 in sales. They do it quarterly. You then have to fill out a form that they will send to you via snail mail for tax purposes. We can’t forget the tax man when we earn money online. The next step is to get your e-Book into the premium catalog where it will distribute them via Apple, Barnes & Nobles, Sony and more. Mine is in the review stage. Amazon distribution comes after $2,000 of sales of your eBook. (I would need to sell 667 eBooks for that at full price) .

Will There Be Another eBook?

I do have one in mind again with a cover set in my head. But I need a break. It was more time consuming than I first though. It was very satisfying to have completed it though. Maybe I’ll begin next month starting the next one, stay tuned!

Have you ever created an eBook or will you do one in the future?

Have you used Smashwords for producing or purchasing an eBook?

Don’t forget to grab your FREE copy by signing up for Inspire to Thrive’s New newsletter

and I will send you the code!

If you are a subscriber already send me a quick email for the code!

She has 20+ years experience in marketing/advertising with 4 years experience blogging, social media and SEO. Get her new eBook Tweeting Like It's 2nd Nature Today!
m4s0n501

81 Responses to eBook Rough and High Waves to Completion

Congratulations Lisa!

Sounds wonderful to know about your eBook and now all of us just can’t wait to read it. I did sign up yesterday itself, though there was no code that time, and look forward to it. It surely is something great done, and I know I too have to start with my much awaited project of writing an eBook :)

I have heard of Smashwords but never looked it up, so thanks for sharing this wonderful information with us. I guess I will give it a proper look after this, and bookmark your post for the time when I start off with mine.

Thanks for sharing, and wishing you the best with the new venture. :)
    Harleena Singh recently posted…10 Reasons Your Kids Don’t Listen to YouMy Profile

• Hello Lisa!
    Now you become a writer. So, congratulation.

I believe that the majority of people are don’t know that what is Twitter. I was also confused about Twitter earlier. But honestly Twitter is the best. If anybody concentrate on twitter then he/she will realize that it is better than Facebook. It is is the fastest social media of the world.
    So Lisa, you just written about the most important subject which every professional net user should know.
    Majharul Hossain recently posted…Increase your eBook sale and AdSense revenue at same time.My Profile

Congratulations again on publishing your first ever e-Book dear :) I just happy for you and you have made it. 2013 is the year of accomplishments ;)

So you asked me “Have you ever wanted to do an eBook?” :shock: Well… Mmm… Not really, but I love reading ‘em ;) Not with 100s of pages though.

Unless you being through it you wouldn’t know about SmashWords :) That’s is a real saver from my point of view and even more than we expect. Really thanks for pointing out benefits and your experience here. I think folks wanna publish an eBook would find it very helpful. Does the ISBN is comes under SmashWord Lisa? I mean, do they claim any rights for free ISBN?

Simplicity matters Lisa :) It reflects through your eBook and haven’t finished yet though. Still at Twitter Automation :) I hope now you can ask people to read this one when the don’t get what is it all about.

Just a suggestion here ~ How about adding a Facebook tab about the book? ;)

Wish you can jump into Premium catalog with this eBook too dear :)

Mayura recently posted…How to Deactivate Your Pinterest AccountMy Profile

Thanks Mayura. I’m glad I was able to finish it, pinched nerve and all. I agree I don’t 100+ pages either unless it’s a real book. Yes it is assigned to them. I choose it for the simplicity and tweeted with a few last week that had used them and were happy. I’d love to add a FB tab, I forgot how. I need to revisit that for sure. Thanks so much for all your encouragement Mayura that you have given me over the past 2+ years!
      Lisa recently posted…eBook Rough and High Waves to CompletionMy Profile

• Congratulations, Lisa!

Right off the bat, I have two major suggestions:
    1) Uncheck the Amazon distribution box on Smashwords, and publish direct to KDP (not KDP Select, which is Amazon-exclusive). Why? Because you will be “live” on Amazon in under 24 hours, you will have worldwide distribution, and they pay royalties, with detailed statements, every 60 days. Smashwords’ statements are a lot more challenging, let’s say. Amazon is *easy* to publish to.
    2) Change the font on your cover. Make the title larger (a lot larger) and choose a different font (for your byline, too). On all the distribution channels – Amazon, B&N, iTunes, Kobo, Smashwords – your cover is going to be viewed, more often than not, at thumbnail size.
    I actually have a lot more to say about your cover, because I think your book can be successful. If you want to know what I have to say (I don’t mean to be pushy, it’s just that ebook publishing is as much my business as Reiki is), shoot me an email: ellen (at) ellenmgregg.com.
    :-)
    Ellen M. Gregg recently posted…The Beauty of a Woman: Inside OutMy Profile

Hi Ellen, just a little pushy :) I did read the Smashwords statements, reminded me of LInkShare that I’m an affilaite for. The money finally comes but takes time. If I did that what about the ISBN? Oh yes, the font and size on cover, I could do that. Glad I saved it in photoshop, that’ll be an easy fix. Thanks Ellen, I do appreciate it. I see you have done already yourself :) I’ll probably email in the a.m. when I’m fresh vs. end of day and ready to hit my pillow.
      Lisa recently posted…eBook Rough and High Waves to CompletionMy Profile

• Sapna

HI Lisa,

Congratulations for your first e-book.. My Best of wishes for it’s huge success.
    I signed up for the book 2 days back.

I have not given a thought to the e-book yet but will plan it after June 13. I have never heard about Smashwords but I will surely look it now.

Thanks Lisa for sharing this.

Sapna
    Sapna recently posted…Hey Google Larry Page you have these businesses unexplored(An infographic)My Profile

• Praveen Rajarao

Lisa – I read this article on my android and was waiting to come to my laptop to leave this comment. Awesome effort and i am sure how proud you must feel by accomplishing the ordeal :smile:

I should say that this has come at the right moment for me, and I was wondering about an eBook to offer, and was asking around some bloggers what they think. This article has given me even more inputs and am really grateful for you.

I will surely use Smashwords after your recommendation, am sure it should work just fine.

I have signed up for your subscription and hope to recieve the code soon to start reading your book. I also have some other questions which I will shoot you an email with.

Thanks and all the very best at reaching that magical figure to get onto the premium accounts. :-)
    Praveen Rajarao recently posted…Waze – A Crowd-sourced Navigation AppMy Profile

Thanks Praveen, I think if there are other eBooks out there, like they are for Twitter, you can still do it you have your own experience that is different from others. Find a way to do it differently. Or pick a subject that doesn’t have any eBooks yet out there. You could go either way, really. I decided to just dive in, why wait til it’s all perfect? The material would be outdates by then, right? Thanks for signing up and have a great weekend.
      Lisa recently posted…eBook Rough and High Waves to CompletionMy Profile

Congratulations!!!!! I had heard that Smashwords was good. I’m glad that you had a great eBook publishing experience with them. I wouldn’t have the patience to format a book. Money well spent.

Can’t wait to read it! I’m so excited for you.

Good luck with it! Hope it’s a bestseller.
    Lauren recently posted…Microsoft, what were you thinking?My Profile

Thanks Lauren. I’ll keep you posted how it goes. Let me know what you think too. I can’t imagine writing a whole book like you are Lauren. Don’t think I’d have the patience to write that much. Have a wonderful weekend – hope the snow turns to rain for us this time. 3rd weekend in a row here in the Northeast!
      Lisa recently posted…eBook Rough and High Waves to CompletionMy Profile

• RobG says:

Hello Lisa that’s GREAT, You should be very proud I think that’s were most of us are heading in the future.
    having your content converted in to an eBook I would think is a timeless process although many people are doing it these day.

I can’t remember were the link is but Copy-blogger has an article about creating your Ebook in 30-days which I couldn’t even think of. I’m like you I think there is so much writing and it will be very time consuming.

When is it going to be released Lisa? have a wonderful day my friend
    RobG recently posted…How to Publish Weekly And Keep Your Readers Aroused And InterestedMy Profile

First, I’d like to congratulate you on this eBook and I’m wishing you all the best with it! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us (what a ride that must have been!) and especially for sharing Smashwords what they do and the cost you incurred. That gives us a great idea what to expect if anyone is thinking about doing an eBook.

I have been following you since day one and I can certainly vouch for all your guruness because you have certainly created a blog and now an eBook that newbies like me can use without feeling overwhelmed or intimidate. You may not know it but I’ve been holding on to your shirt tails following your advice and it’s helped me tremendously especially all your help and advice offline, you truly are a gem!

I’ll be reading your eBook this weekend along with Adrienne’s post and Steve’s eBook you recommended. Congratulations again, Lisa and enjoy your break :) !
    Corina Ramos recently posted…Important Tips For Working With FamilyMy Profile

Corina, thank you. You almost have me in tears – so sweet. I do try to keep it simple here. I know somethings I was reading things that were so complex I could not grasp it like when I started with a WordPress self-hosted blog and a c-panel. I hope you find the eBook helpful but you are becoming a quite a star on Twitter yourself. You really seemed to have grasped it quick! I hope you have a nice weekend and thanks for being a loyal follower and friend Corina.
      Lisa recently posted…eBook Rough and High Waves to CompletionMy Profile

Oh my goodness Lisa, I’m so thrilled that I introduced you to Steve’s book and he helped you move in that direction. Yay!!! I’m so happy for you.

Accomplishing a feat like this is huge because like you said, it’s time consuming. We definitely want to get it right but it was a learning process so you have that much behind you. I’m so glad you shared with us the stuff with Amazon. I did not know that, just one more thing I learned today and I’ve had a few of those.

Okay, I’m signing up for your list because I want to read your amazing book. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Congratulations Lisa! I’m clapping big time over here for you. Yay!!!

Adrienne recently posted…How To Use Twitter To Your AdvantageMy Profile

Thanks Adrienne to you for introducing Steve’s book that put the fire under my pants to get it going. It was only in my head at the point. I knew I may not get it all right but if I continued to wait it may not have happened. I’m sure they’ll be more things to learn along the way. I hope you like the eBook and find something there that you may not know :) Have a wonderful weekend Adrienne.
      Lisa recently posted…eBook Rough and High Waves to CompletionMy Profile

• Steve Case

Thanks for the tips Lisa!

You even answered a question I’d never really gotten around to asking: I had a vague idea of where ISBNs came from, but had never thought to ask what they cost. It sounds like SmashWords takes care of that and some other details economically, so I’ll keep them in mind if/when the eBook bug bites.

Hi Steve, thanks for coming by. I didn’t realize it until I went to purchase the ISBN and then moved on to plan B. If it was a lengthier book I may have gone that route but for one with 3300+ words I didn’t think it was necessary. Do you plan on creating one Steve? I miss #blogchat, I haven’t been able to stay up long enough during winter to make it. I hope to return soon as we change the clocks. Hope all is well your way Steve.
      Lisa recently posted…eBook Rough and High Waves to CompletionMy Profile

Congrats on your Ebook Lisa! YEAH!!! It was great if I may say so myself and although I thought I was very good at Twitter, I found a couple new things to try, via reading your book. I’m sure it was very time consuming and honestly, I have no clue where you find the time. Your just SuperWoman in my book! Good luck on this EBook and I look forward to reading your next!

Oh, and no, I have no plans in the future to do any kind of ebook. Shew….oh no way :mrgreen:
    Bren recently posted…Gift Card Giveaway: Time To Get Your Sexy On!My Profile

• Sherryl Perry

Congratulations Lisa and thanks for the tips. I love it when people share their knowledge with us. I have not published an eBook yet but I definitely plan to. So, your advice to check out Smashwords will probably save me hours of research.
    Sherryl Perry recently posted…Tracking Your Blog Post SEO Meta Tag DataMy Profile

• Kita says:

This is great info I need to put it on my pinterest board to save this. I have wanted to write an ebook something funny with recipes in them kinda like each chapter has to do with my life and I name the recipe after it. I started working on it got done with about 5 chapters and then stopped I need to start back up.
    Kita recently posted…Creamy Chicken and NoodlesMy Profile

Hey Lisa

Wow, that’s really cool. Congratulations on the eBook. It sounds great and I’ll be signing up in just a moment!

I’ve always wanted to do an eBook and had a few ideas but that’s as far as I got. It does sound time-consuming but from what I’ve heard the more you do, the easier it gets!
    Tim Bonner recently posted…HostGator Is My Web Host Of ChoiceMy Profile

• Pauline

Congratulations on your book, I can’t wait to read it! I am already on your list so I will send you an email for the code thanks :)
    I have been thinking of writing a book myself, I actually had it on my to do list for last year but that being too ambitious so maybe later this year…
    Hope you have a great weekend
    Pauline
    Pauline recently posted…How To Choose A NicheMy Profile

• Samantha

Congratulations, sweet Lisa! I’m so proud of you…my friend the author. I just downloaded your book and can’t wait to check it out. I’ve got a couple of books in my head, but just need to find the time to get them out of my head and into a document. It seems I’m always ghost writing or editing someone else’s book (kind of like always a bridesmaid, never a bride, but for writers).

I had already considered using Smashbooks, but after your stellar recommendation, am definitely using them for my first eBook. For the print book I have in mind, I’m going to self publish, but not through one of those big “self-publishing” houses. I’m going to create my own “label” of sorts.

Congrats again, sweets. I’m getting right on reading your book today. I’ll write a review for it on Smashbooks afterward (if there ‘s a place to do that.)
    Samantha recently posted…Top 10 Reasons to Self PublishMy Profile

Thanks Samantha, I don’t really consider myself an author, it’s an eBook not a book book :) I’d love to know what you think of it since you have been on Twitter for as long as I. That’s the problem with writing, they stay in the head but once you start to get them into a document, that inspires you to finish. At least it did for me. You need to be a BRIDE of YOUR own book now Samantha! Thanks for doing a review once you are done it, I really appreciate that Samantha from you.
      Lisa recently posted…eBook Rough and High Waves to CompletionMy Profile

• Sarah Park says:

Congratulations for completing your eBook. The cover is adorable as wee.
    Sarah Park recently posted…How to Become a Child PsychologistMy Profile

• Susan Silver

Lisa you beat me too it! You didn’t even tell me, a little hurt :) But, that will wear off. Very proud of you and much success! I’ll be downloading my copy for sure.
    Susan Silver recently posted…How to Speak the Same Language as Your Customers with KeywordsMy Profile

Great reference book, Lisa. Very helpful advice.
    Lauren recently posted…I Have a Linking ProblemMy Profile

• Theodore Nwangene

I’ve heard of Smashwords before through Sunil of extramoneyblog.com. I wanted to create a kindle book before but learnt that they don’t accept my country, maybe Smashwords will be an answer.

That means that I’ve never created one before but i will definitely give it a trial. What i want to focus more on right now is to create some niche sites, ones I’ve created two or three, i will give an ebook a trial.

Please keep us updated on how your ebook is doing on smashwords.

Thanks for sharing Lisa and do have fun,
    Theodore Nwangene recently posted…Are you Becoming Lazy Too? How to get back on TrackMy Profile

• Enstine Muki

Congratulations on your first ebook. I remember my first ebook that sold very little on Clickbank. I had little experience then ;)
    I’m just getting to know about smashwords. I’ll take a closer look

I just got on your newletter. Now waiting for the code to read it.

Thanks for the copy ;)
    Enstine Muki recently posted…Surefire Way To Make Money Blogging ~ GuaranteedMy Profile

• RobG says:

Hello Lisa finally got the copy and t looks GREAT I’m sure these twitters tips will come in very handy for those starting out.
    How long did it take you to write it?

Thanks again for allowing me to be one of those who had first hand ate reading it…
    RobG recently posted…How-to Use Popchrom Text Expander For Google ChromeMy Profile

• Hi Lisa! Glad to see you’re rocking well :)

Adrienne’s a fountain of helpful info, and though I’ve not read Steve Scott’s ebook, I *love* that his ebook jumpstarted *your* ebook.

Even more interesting, I wrote a book a few years ago, which I’m re-writing and re-releasing shortly, and it’s all about…

SIMPLE.

A simple, online jumpstart. (to use one of my fave words.)

Either way, congratulations on such an awesome project, brought to completion – I bet it feels great! Keep ryzin’!

P.S. Glad your arm’s improved!
    Jason ‘J-Ryze’ Fonceca recently posted…You’re Way Too Spoiled To Focus (& You Prolly Dont Know It)My Profile

• Lily says:

This is a very informative and helpful post. Thank you for sharing some ideas. I enjoyed reading this. :wink:

• Bonnie Andrews says:

Congrats and thanks for sharing! I love your thought process here: “Why spend hours when $15 would do it within 24 and I could work on my retail sites?” That’s the first things I work through with clients – how much is your time worth! And it goes along with the idea of getting stuff done too :)
    Great post. I’ll have to check out Smashwords for a client whose working on an ebook right now…

Hi Lisa!

Your very first ebook…Woo Hoo…I just subscribed! Can’t wait to read it girl!

I haven’t heard about Smashwords until now. I do have some kind of thing I purchased for Kindle books on Amazon, but just never got around to it.
    I am working on creating other teaching products right now. Did the learning curve in 2012, and creating it all since January of this year. But…an ebook would be great to include.
    That is on a to-do list for later, but I am going to research Smashwords because It looks great.

Well, I’m on your list girl and will be reading your book soon!

Whoopie!
    Donna
    Donna Merrill recently posted…Organize Your Space, Clear your MindMy Profile

• Tom King says:

Thanks for posting this! Love your thought process.

• christina

Great article Lisa! Many Many thanks for this helpful article.

• christina

yes sure Lisa. I will surely do it

• Khaja Moin says:

I was about to write an ebook, to build list. Do you think I should try Smashwords as ny priority is to get leads (email).

~@Khajamoin1

• Samantha

Lisa,

I’ve downloaded and read this great Twitter resource! I actually want to talk to you about arranging to use it as a teaching tool for clients who are new to SoMe after RebelSpark launches. Many of my clients own businesses in the health care and financial services sector. The SEC only this year allowed financial planners and similar professionals to engage in social media. They all could use a primer like this one. I’m going to write a more detailed review of it over on Smashbooks when I get through my assignments this week.

Great job!

Samantha
    Samantha recently posted…No Fail (Almost) Guide to Hashtag BasicsMy Profile

Congratulations!! That’s totally awesome!

I’ve thought about doing an ebook in the past, but I think I have a ways to go before I have enough content to make it a quality product. It also seem daunting as heck.

The writing doesn’t scare me so much as all the outside stuff does, which matches what you had the most problems with. There’s so much more involved in getting one of those published.

I’m excited that you got it completed and published. Just as with most anything else, the hardest part was overcoming that initial inertia.

I hope you have an outstanding rest of the week!

~Barry
    Barry Overstreet recently posted…I Need HelpMy Profile

• Aayna says:

Firstly congratulations for the first e-book. And secondly, a valuable thanks to you, for sharing this first hand experience through this article and also offering the brilliant tips. It is always nice to learn from the experience of the other person. Thanks.

• Cararta

:grin: Hi Lisa,

I’ve several Kindle publishing programs on my hard drive…not used them yet, but read though just to get an
    idea…..
    Not one of the mentions ISBN ……

But that Expensive Only Place to Buy has a free guide….in one place it does say that “Customized personal Digital information (ebook maybe?) does not require an ISBN….BUT ON another chart lists eBooks as requiring one….. Amazon will publish for Kindle without one! Definitely says “optional” in their instructions.

I guess if you aren’t doing a “real print book” might be able to get by!
    Thought provoking post…I sort of got the idea from one of the guides I have that the formatting is the big dea!
    Not sure after reading all the do’s and don’ts that I wouldn’t do what you did….get someone else to do it!

congratulations on taking that first big leap!
    :mrgreen: That’s Envy!
    Cararta recently posted…Review: What Are Podcasts? What do Podcasts Do?My Profile

• Steve Costello says:

Very interesting.

I have been fooling around with an ebook myself and can’t seem to get the formatting quite right.

Smashwords sounds like the solution, I will have to check it out.

• HI Lisa,
    Congratulations for your first eBook. :)

It’s really great that you found enough time to write your first book along with other 10 blog activity. That’s really awesome and good time management.

Smashword looks great and I can surely try for any future needs. I am going to subscribe your book and let me comeback with further updates. Again Congratulations..! Thanks.
    Manickam Vijayabanu recently posted…YouTube Introduces A New Redesign – One ChannelMy Profile