Have Your Facebook Likes Fallen Away Like The Fall Leaves?

Have Your Facebook Likes Fallen Away?

Have you noticed a dip in your Facebook likes recently? Did you wonder what happened? Facebook likes on Facebook pages seem to have fall away like the fall leaves this time of the year. How can we pick them up?

Can we pick up our fallen Facebook likes?

It doesn’t appear anytime soon. It’s a good thing in some ways. It helps the integrity of the Fan pages and one cannot just purchase bulk likes. I had done a post on this a while back about a company that did it and I was compensated for it by likes. Guess what? Those likes disappeared about a week ago.

Facebook wrote about this on their website but what I find a little ironic is that they still sell ads for people to purchase likes. Hmmm. Thoughts?  I believe their ads give people a choice to like a page or not. It’s a suggestion only not a guaranteed sale like some of the other companies were selling. If you read the comments on Facebook’s page about this, it is interesting to see that some page administrators likes went missing too!

The Benefits of Quality Facebook Likes

• Users are truly interested in your page or brand
  • Users may purchase more from your brand
  • You are not wasting posts on uninterested parties (if your posts are getting seen now, more on this on the post I did yesterday at Logallot)
  •  It could help your Edgerank on Facebook – The smaller the numbers and the better engagement and likes you’ll get on posts thus bringing up your Edgerank

The Downside of Less Facebook Likes

• Your brand may appear small with less likes
  • Your fans may wonder why everyone ran away  :)
  • Less fans to reach and less friends of fans to reach

How You Can Get More Facebook Likes Now

• Include your Facebook logo in emails to customers and encourage likes
  • Use other social sites to promote your Facebook page but not with every tweet or pin, (it would get annoying!, if I wanted to be on Facebook I would be there and not over on Twitter, Google+ etc)
  • Purchase ads on Facebook directly
  • Include your Facebook logo on business cards, in print media, anywhere your business is have your Facebook page there too

Did you lose any Facebook likes on your pages or notice any of big brand pages losing theirs?

Do you believe this was a good move on Facebook’s part?

She has 20+ years experience in marketing/advertising with 4 years experience blogging, social media and SEO.

38 Responses to Have Your Facebook Likes Fallen Away Like The Fall Leaves?

Haven’t really noticed likes getting less Lisa!

I guess what you mentioned was quite true – if the people have liked your page for the content you share and not because you purchased those likes or did something else to get more likes, then those people are going to stay because they like you for what you share and who you are. I guess they are used to you and wouldn’t go away.

Love those autumn leaves :)
    Harleena Singh recently posted…4 Tips to Setting Healthy Boundaries For TeenagersMy Profile

• Kita says:

I am in the middle of thinking about combining my facebook fan pages right now because my readership sucks over there. I think people like your page one time and then forget all about you and if they see you in their posts then they may visit. For me I rarely see posts done by blogs I have liked. I keep up better with my google reader.
    Kita recently posted…Sunday’s Song: Wrong Side of LoveMy Profile

Hi Kita, It takes time to grow your fans there naturally. So don’t give up. Try posting different things at different times and converse with others pages too. It can be frustrating :(

• Brenda

I haven’t noticed a drop. If anything, mine has picked up a bit. However, with all the changes facebook keeps making, a fan page makes me weary. People are dependent on that to follow blogs and business, however, if something were to happen, these same fans/readers would be missing out on our material. I’ll be posting soon about this and asking my readers/subscribers to be sure and follower other ways and not be dependent on the fan page. I think facebook will start charging for these pages or some other crazy nonsense. :) I’d like to see more business and blog pages go to Google+ or other sources. Just my humble opinion… :mrgreen:
    Brenda recently posted…I’m In LoveMy Profile

Hi Brenda, that’s a good thing :) I think keeping on top of an email subscriber list is a great idea. I agree on Google+ and I bet they will come up with something for it too. Thanks!

Hey Lisa

I don’t have many likes on my Facebook page, so I’ve not really noticed any change.

To be honest, I haven’t promoted very much on Facebook either. I usually use Twitter and Google+.

I know it’s something I need to review though.
    Tim Bonner recently posted…A Bear Came To Stay For The WeekendMy Profile

Facebook announced that they gonna remove fake accounts from Facebook and progressing now :) I think it’s a good step towards integrity. Personally I don’t believe in buying followers or one-to-one following like Twiends does. It really helps to build up follower base, but it’s all about numbers I guess.

Anyway I haven’t noticed a drop in mine dear. However sometimes people like my page and ask me to like theirs ;) But I don’t do if I’m not interested in, so they unfollow again. Once I lost all my followers I had and I couldn’t reach ‘em afterwards :) It’s a great experience for me to not to depend on counts and do what my core activity – Blogging. They are coming back eventually :)

Facebook advertising allows promoting pages dear :) Usually I check out page and content before like ‘em. I think we don’t just click like if we have no idea about it, right? Anyway it’s another great way of generating revenue for Facebook. Many and many marketers make use of it though we usually believe in one good head really interested in our content and like our page voluntarily :)

Mayura recently posted…Use Images to Find Information on the Web with Google Image SearchMy Profile

I like the way you think Mayura. Keep it natural and real. I do the same on my Inspire FB page. But I did play around with the other retail pages, how else could I write about it, right? Everything on social is still an experiment on most days :)

• Sangram says:

I know many guys who provide likes for money. 2 ways tp do that

1. Some of them give the Genuine likes with real profile…., but people actually didn’t understand what they are liking so may be the dislike the page once they found it.. : :shock:

2. Others do it with BULK Phone verified facebook accounts..They are FAKE.. :twisted:

3. Many times people buy a page with around 10,000 fans for a Good price (in few thousand dollars).. Page uses ‘generalized title’ like “smile, fun, jokes’ which can be used with any page…

Personally for me. none of these methods make any sense now. Facebook has changed a lot in last 2 years. basically facebook hides the posts shared on our page from most of the FANS and if you really want every fan of your page to see you post, You need to use the Promote (pay facebook :smile: ) option.

Moral of story:- Social network turning out to be a Business network..

Wow, I can’t image doing #2 and #3. That’s sad Sangram that it is turning out to be a business network – isn’t that why we have LinkedIn? Thanks for your insightful comment.

• Jens-Petter Berget

I haven’t been using Facebook for my own business much, at least not recently. But, I am using it for several clients. The reason I haven’t noticed any less likes is probably because my clients are based in Norway, and they’re fairly small on Facebook (one of them have 4500 likes, but mostly they’re less than 1000). There haven’t been many “fake” likes that I have noticed.

Right now, I am working on a way to get more likes for my clients and adding the facebook url to offline marketing is a great idea. And adding it to their email signature as well.
    Jens-Petter Berget recently posted…Social Metrics Pro – More Traffic From Social MediaMy Profile

• Jeevan Jacob John

I haven’t noticed any changes in FB likes (I won’t since I haven’t been that active in FB lately; I will be launching my new page soon).

I have used FB ads (that’s how I got most of my FB likes). Just advertised to friends and friends of my friends :) I never thought that it would work out, but it did (not only with quantity, but also the quality of the followers).

I don’t know whether it is a good move, but I am glad to see changes from FB (I guess it might be a bad move, I am not sure).

• Jan Bierens

FaceBook is in the process of ‘cleaning’ up their act. I have read that there were to many ‘business pages’ that were not really business related. That probably includes mine. When I started the FaceBook page I started of with zero. Then in went up to around 40 (Fourty!) and it’s still like that. No movement whatsoever. I saw a sudden burst in ‘people talking about’ and ‘people saw this) then it dropped to the old values.
    I have no clue what to think about that…
    Jan Bierens recently posted…Why me endorsing you won’t help youMy Profile

• Mitch Mitchell says:

What timing. I just wrote about this on my SEO blog, the link to which is below. Yes, they did reduce it, saying that if we want more engagement and more people seeing our stuff on our pages we have to recruit them. That’s obviously tied in to the marketing thing as well, which I hadn’t thought about until reading this.

:oops: This is just what I needed to hear. I thank you so much. This is one thing I am not doing….putting my Facebook link on different places.

Thanks for the reminder, I greatly appreciate it.

Donna
    Donna Merrill recently posted…Living GratitudeMy Profile

• Chris

thanks for it. I used FB ads to get likes – and it really works. Only about 1% of likes disappered somewhere… But the point here is that I try to mix social networks – so I tweet some links from FB, post stumbled links on FB and use Pinterest for it too :)
    Chris
    Chris recently posted…How To Use Pinterest In Your Marketing StrategyMy Profile

Hi Chris, how do you find that? I sometimes get frustrated when I’m on Twitter and see people post FB posts because I’m not logged in and don’t want to be because it will suck away my time :) I think “If I wanted to be on Facebook I would be there, not here on Twitter” …. thoughts?

• Chloe B says:

For those who never “bought” likes, it is great that FB has sorted the wheat from the chaff. It’s the same with links and google, organic, slow but sure, the hare and the tortoise! You can’t game algorithms as they spot anolomies a mile off, and this is to the benefit of hard working honest bloggers. :grin:

I know that my likes have slowed down Lisa but I haven’t lost any. Guess that’s because I’ve never used a service for likes. I hope that the majority of the people who have liked my page have because they really are interested in what I share. Oh heck, I know some of them just did it to help me but that’s okay too.

I would never “buy” likes so I don’t necessarily look at a pages success by the number of likes it has. I look at what they share. That determines whether I’ll stick around or not.

Interesting though but not totally surprising Lisa.

Hey, have a great weekend okay. It will be here soon.

Adrienne recently posted…Could Your Blog Use A Little HelpMy Profile

That’s a good thing Adrienne. Great point about seeing that they share vs. like’s #’s. Wonder if more people will begin to do that as well? You too have a wonderful weekend Adrienne.

• Hey Lisa,

I am so not an expert at this. My fan page is still pretty much brand new, and I don’t even know where to start to get more likes and the ones that I’ve got so far, well I don’t even really know how it happened.

I tell you, there is room for improvement in this area as far as I am concerned. Thank you for your expertise on this matter :)
    Sylviane Nuccio recently posted…How to Use GIF Images Effectively With Article MarketingMy Profile

Hi Sylviane, you could add the Facebook URL in your emails and mention on Twitter and G+. It does take time. Also liking other pages that you truly like will help.

• Ferb

Hi Lisa, I’d love to talk more about Advertise Facebook Page and give more a little tip to others. My Facebook Page worked effectively after advertised with a small budget and grow from 25 to 205 fans.

However one bad thing is that was my first time, so I found out if we spend too much on our daily budget. In the end, we’ll be really really sad because when my Facebook Page was running on ads, my page insights was great growing so greatly from 0 to 28,745 or something, and now it dropped so badly. (back to only 97 :O)

My suggestion is spend as less as possible on our daily budget when advertising our page. (I spent about $5/day) so if it’s you, I would suggest you to spend about $2.5/day is a really great advice.

Ferb recently posted…8 Easy Ways to Network on TwitterMy Profile

Hi Ferb, I have done that for our retail websites FB pages. The thing is we target United States but we get likes from out of the country and we only ship in the US. I was disappointed with that since we target the US only because of shipping. Thanks for your info on your Facebook page. Nice to know the small budgets is the way to go :)

• Angela McCall

I haven’t really noticed any less likes but in fact mine increased more since I started posting more photos. However, I STOP liking any posts there since I found out there disgusting recycled of FAKE LIKES. Instead of “likes,” I put a <3 on my comment to them and/or just leave a quick comment and that's about it.

Anyway, I am so fricking behind on reading here. What else is new? The story of my life. Right? But better late than never. Night nite dear.

Angela