What Will Separate Your Blog or Pumpkin From Another?

What separates one blog or pumpkin from another?

The past few weeks I have been reading lots of blogs and after a while they all seemed to look alike. I had been to the market and took a picture of these pumpkins because it seemed so early to have them out and ready for sale. They all looked alike too and if I was going to purchase one would not be able to decide which one to choose. It was the same for the blogs I had visited. Which blog do I comment one? Which blog do I share?

I thought maybe by labeling the pumpkins with letters it would make a difference. What can we do to make our blogs look different?

Here are some ways you may get creative with your blog:

• Take your own pictures – Always carry your phone or camera because as you see above you may never know what will catch you eye and turn into a post. People love images and are drawn to them on posts.
    • Keep an eye out on the news – Yesterday word broke about GoDaddy and Jan quickly turned it into a post – I assume his blog did not go down :) It may not be the most original – although Jan’s always is, but it will get comments if it’s one of the first on a news story.

• White SpacePlease use white space – How many times have I visited a blog and everything is clumped together with no white space or images? I do not stay around long enough to read it – never mind to comment. Sometimes not even the reading glasses can help.
  • An Inviting Headline - Some thing that draws others in. Others who are great at this draw people right into their blog. When they share on social media sites it draws more  attention.
  • Creativity – To make those pumpkins look different from one another you could get creative with cloth and markers to make them look really unique. A few years ago I had bought a New England Patriots Pumpkin. Wish I knew where that picture was now. Seems every year people are getting more creative with their pumpkins.

What do you like that separates one blog or pumpkin from another?

She has 20+ years experience in marketing/advertising with 4 years experience blogging, social media and SEO. Get her new eBook Tweeting Like It's 2nd Nature Today!
p5rn7vb

37 Responses to What Will Separate Your Blog or Pumpkin From Another?

• Aditi Datta

This pumpkin concept of presenting blog is simply superb idea.Yes, your concept is correct that all blogs do look alike but unique content do make a blog look different and also attracts the attention of readers to read and comment on it. This is all what I think which makes a blog different from others.Thanks for the share!!

You’ve brilliantly conveyed what I’ve been recently kicking around in my brain. I think a blog has to be what it purports to be, and the personality of the Blogger has to shine through the content. It’s similar to reading a good book. You want to love the protagonist. I’m drawn to information, honesty and great storytelling, as well as originality.
    Lauren recently posted…Dentist DementiaMy Profile

• Kita says:

I hope I don’t have any white space I need to check on that. I hate blogs that have everything jumbled together or has so many things on the page makes navigating so hard. My headlines usually make the difference if I have a topic that is different I get more readers. Great tips
    Kita recently posted…Sunday’s Song: Bridge over troubled waterMy Profile

Loved your title Lisa!

I was just about wondering what you had to share where pumpkin was concerned :)

Yes, most blogs are the same and one doesn’t find anything different, unless you choose a different niche or see something really different than the usual. Most people I see are trying to sell their products or services, which might not be something that people are interested in – or perhaps they need to try a different way to convey what they really want to rather than doing so the normal way.

Having an inviting title is the first criteria I think that attracts people to your blog, followed by a nice picture and yes, your own pics work well if you can manage to take them and they are related to the post. And yes, being creative or trying out new things is another thing that attracts readers to your blog and makes it separate.

Thanks for sharing. :)
    Harleena Singh recently posted…Are You Ready for Being a GrandparentMy Profile

Hi Harleena, I guess the title worked on this one :) it was not planned but
      after I took the picture I knew it meant something and would be used. Sometimes the best things are NOT planned. Thanks for commenting.

• Jan Bierens

Hi Lisa!
    I don’t know much about pumpkins, but I know a little something about water-melons. To find out if they are ripe you just thump them. If they make a ‘hollow’ sound, they are good to eat.
    What makes a water melon even better, is cutting it up for your guests in nice bite – size bits,

Just like you write a blog post. nice bite – size pieces. Ripe. Ready to eat. With a great title, like this post. ;) Thanks for mentioning me on your blog, Lisa.
    Jan Bierens recently posted…GoDaddy is Down AND Publishing a Post on your blog.My Profile

• Brenda

Great post! p.s. How long did it take you to label those pumpkins? :mrgreen: I have to agree with the cluttered blogs, run on sentences, not so good formatting is a major turnoff. I might read the first post, but I’m not subscribing. Then I run into blogs that I have followed for quite some time and something has changed. Run on’s, poor grammar and spelling, just a major turn off. I can’t stand it! But I know there are people, especially Blogger ones that love sidebar graphics and such. Oh my…..I could go on and on about this one. My blog isn’t the best but I do try to keep it “clean”.
    Brenda recently posted…Just a Little Freaked OutMy Profile

Hi Brenda, it did take a little while :) Yikes, I know I’ve had typos in the past, hope you forgive them. If they are a lot I sure do understand your point. Clutterness is the worst for me to bear. Thanks for input. Always appreciated.

• Jens P. Berget

That’s a topic that’s been on my mind lately as well. And that’s the reason I decided to add a picture of myself to the sidebar (just an hour ago). I used to think that the design would be the difference, then the words we write (and the voice), now I’m more of an opinion that it’s a mix of many things. But, in one way or another, we need to be different.
    Jens P. Berget recently posted…I had to walk away to find the true meaning of life and marketingMy Profile

• Michael says:

Great post! I tend to agree that a lot of blogs look the same, in other words they begin to look generic once you start reading a lot of them. Having a catchy headline and some great photos that you took yourself is sure to make you stand out.

Does it take more time? Yes. But then how much do you truly value your readership if you can’t take a couple extra minutes to make them happy?

Good point Michael about it taking more time. Putting the alphabet on the pumpkins did take some extra time for sure! But needed to do it to prove a point and give it some zing :)

• I always learn from you Lisa. btw- my pumpkin is bigger than your pumpkin:) :???:

• Samantha Gluck

Sage advice, Lisa. I struggle with the “taking your own pictures” part. I just don’t feel as if I have the time or the skill to take great pics for my sites. I don’t hold any fantasy that I’ll ever be a great photographer and that doesn’t really bother me. I’m willing to put my less-than-stellar pics on my sites, but my biggest stumbling block is time.

It takes time to seek out the appropriate subject for a certain article or story. I can barely keep up with what I have on my plate now! Any suggestions for me?
    Samantha Gluck recently posted…Writing a White Paper: 5 Techniques to Reach Your Target AudienceMy Profile

Samantha, you are always taking pics on Instagram. Just continue to do so but of the beauty and sights around you and you will find something that will fit in to your next post. Just think more out of the box (though you already do quite a great job of that) Always be ready with the camera and even if it’s yours smartphone, so many of them take great pictures now! I keep shooting away and when I work on a subject I think back to see if any photos would fit. Thanks for coming by and commenting today- much appreciated :)

Blog or Pumpkin? :D lol… I call it “Creative Thinking”… Nice concept and really cool title Lisa. It grabs attention :)

Jan is quicky ;) He got that talent. Ohw yes! He’s engaged and “GO DADDY”… What?! Now he’s talking about Watermelons ;)

Reading is a kind of art too. But if all blogs seems alike with similar topics, then it might feels boring. Sometimes the outer look can be seems alike as you represent pumpkins in above images, but there could be an unique message inside. But bloggers need to be careful more and be creative to grab attention of readers. However it’s still harder when it comes to blogs related to tech, news etc.

I like your suggestions Lisa :) They can really work out. Taking own images would be awesome if we can spend time out.

Mayura recently posted…How to Set Up Google Analytics for Your WebsiteMy Profile

• anshul says:

Hi Lisa!
    greta tips .pumpkins what a great idea to seperate your blog to another.i like your idea .because many of blog looks alike so there are a situation of mingle arise which is to choose or not.so i think pumpkins is a great concept.
    anshul recently posted…Hospital Software IndiaMy Profile

Now that I think about it you’re right. There are a hand full of blogs that I visit that look the same. You can tell their theme is similar and it’s all white. They have no heading or logo and their sidebar is boring. They don’t put images in their posts and it’s all I can do to get through them at times.

Now my theme isn’t classy or colorful I admit. For the most part my headlines don’t grab your attention either, but I do love images and I do my best to keep your attention. For the most part I think I’m having some success in that area.

I’m really not good at keeping up with what’s happening today online because I write my posts ahead of time and schedule them to post. I’m definitely no last minute writer.

Taking my camera with me everywhere I go is a great idea. Thanks for reminding me to start doing that.

Adrienne recently posted…Why You Are Not Successful On FacebookMy Profile

Hi Adrienne. Your headlines are great, everytime I get an email with your headline I have to look :) Love to see what images you will capture with that camera. Thank you for coming by and commenting. Have a nice weekend!

Hey Lisa

I just changed the theme on my blog to Pagelines and it’s so much easier to read, or at least I think it is!

I usually use free images but that’s such a cool idea to just take your own. I always have my camera so there’s no excuse! Mostly I take pictures of my kids so it will be interesting to take a picture of something different for a change.

My blog has evolved even from only starting it in May and I’m trying to get more creative with each post.

I always have Google Alerts sending me an email if anything happens in the news, although I often forget to look at them and then it’s too late!

I tend to have a look at Google Trends as well just in case there’s anything on there that is of interest.

Thank you for sharing Lisa.

Have a great weekend.

Tim
    Tim Bonner recently posted…Would Your Blog Win A Grand Slam?My Profile

Hi Tim, yes, I really like your blog’s look. Just found it the other day. I used to use the free images and sometimes still do. Thanks for coming by and commenting. You too have a fantastic weekend!

• Enstine Muki

You are very right. We need to create a difference and you have provided the right tips to follow.

thanks for the advise, Lisa
    Enstine Muki recently posted…Lenovo IdeaPad Z585 Laptop GiveawayMy Profile

• Cynthia

I love this article. I always feel like my site is a work in progress. I know that it is hard to get people to come back and read you blog especially if they find you for the first time and you are having an off day. I try to put thought into everything that I put out there. I don’t always hit a grand slam but every once in a while I get lucky. I have tried to make my blog a bit unique from other with the set up. I know that I still have a lot to do with my sidebars and coming up with great titles that make people want to take a peek.

Cynthia
    Cynthia recently posted…Why Is Jane Married to Jack and Dreaming About Jill?My Profile

• Sonia

I never thought about that Lisa, but I know what you mean when it comes to some blogs looking the same. I think where some bloggers make big mistakes is not changing their look and feel. I am in the middle of mine, slow coming, but it is in need of a update and I have gotten good use out of the template that I have been using for over a year now. Another thing that helps is personality too. I love blogs that can poke fun at them self every now and then to keep it fun.
    Sonia recently posted…Do You Know When to Trade Expectation for Appreciation?My Profile

• Kevin Martin

I prefer to not use pictures on my blog because I like to let my words do all the talking.
    Kevin Martin recently posted…Five Ways to Become Better at What You DoMy Profile

• Kevin Martin

Yes, Lisa. I’ve tried pictures before and the traffic usually stays the same. The only time I see a major difference in traffic is when I write a super attractive headline.