What Is This SEO All About?

SEO – What is This SEO All About Today?

Everyone is talking about SEO. Just exactly, what is this SEO all about? And how does it affect your website or blog? I came across a great quote this week and I had to share it. It really rang true for me.

SEO Now and Future

When applying SEO to your website or blog it’s not so much about what is happening now on Google but about what will be happening on Google. It is constantly changing. I am always reading about the latest Google updates and checking rankings of keywords, products or pages. I must admit not as much as I used to as traffic was going up and so were sales on our retail website. Until a week or so ago. And then I found the missing sitemap and broken links that were taking time to re-direct.

The good thing is that Google crawls websites faster than it did just 2 years ago with their caffeine update. One thing I have not totally figured out is how a new page can rank near the top in the beginning and then begin a descend sometimes. Other times it can remain high in the rankings. Google always leaves some things a mystery to me. But not for long. I continually do research. It’s a good thing I do not need much sleep to learn  SEO all about what it can do for us.

Years ago SEO included using many of your keywords throughout the copy and meta descriptions. Now you can have to be careful not to overdue it with Google’s latest Penquin update. Yes Penquin – not Panda this time! I learned yesterday it should be around 2.5-3.5% keyword density.

So what else has that penquin been up to over on Google? Here are some of the highlights:

• Multiple Sites – Do not make multiple sites with the same content. That just saved a lot of people a lot of work!
  • Multiple Pages – The same goes for pages – Why would you have 2 pages alike to begin with?
  • Images – Label all images appropriately and make sure they are related to the content.
  • Image Sitemap – Upload image sitemap – They help Google to crawl your images.
  • Link Schemes – Glad to see this one going bye-bye. Excessive reciprocal links or excessive link exchanging. This was big when I first build our retail website and was very time consuming. I’ve dropped old links like those and kept only relevant ones.
  • Paid Links –  Gone! Buying and selling links that pass PageRank, disregarding the quality of the links, the sources, and the long-term impact it will have on their sites. Buying or selling links that pass PageRank is in violation of Google’s Webmaster Guidelines and can negatively impact a site’s ranking in search results. Glad to see this one gone too – money can’t buy you organic page rank through links anymore.
  • Doing No SEO? Did I read that right? Here it is from Google’s Webmaster Blog: “We want people doing white hat search engine optimization (or even no search engine optimization at all).”
Do you think the bottom line is quality content above all for SEO?

She has 20+ years experience in marketing/advertising with 4 years experience blogging, social media and SEO. Get her new eBook Tweeting Like It's 2nd Nature Today!
p5rn7vb

17 Responses to What Is This SEO All About?

You are right Lisa. Everyone is talking about SEO and most of them applying them without digging into that subject. They think showing off their content on first page is what matters. I doubt why they just don’t take their time to learn and be qualitative :) I’ve seen most people writing impressive content but some content still appears to be top on Google are just worthless. I think that’s what third party SEO solutions responsible of.

Personally, on the aspect of SEO, I’ve optimized my titles and descriptions. That’s how people find relevant content. All I’m worrying about producing informative and relevant content worth for my readers. As my opinion, quality is the first and best factor. I don’t need Google to rank my content on top of results. I just need it to help find my content whoever needs it. That’s why we need search engines, no? :) If we are trying to be honest and produce quality content, I think Google updates are coming towards our content ;) So you don’t wanna worry about Panda and Penguin. You can cuddle ‘em ;)

Informative as always Lisa :)

Mayura recently posted…How to Customize Comment Label in BloggerMy Profile

Thanks Mayura – I like that word “qualitative”. You’ve done a great job optimizing because one day in my research your post came up #1 on Google on page 1. Very impressive. Excellent point – we should be found “by those searching and meeting their needs.” (I do not like while searching and coming up with garbage websites.) The new changes should overall be very good.

• JanB

SEO – The more you know the more things*can* go wrong, it seems. I can appreciate the ‘quality over quantity’ idea Penguin seems to favor, but where’s the good old competition? Or – as you would call it – Thrive! I liked this post, Lisa.

• Jens P. Berget

I have been focusing on SEO lately, and I’ve seen awesome results with not much effort. I am doing research and analyzing keywords, but the most important part is still high quality content that people will share. So if we combine the content with quality relationships, we’ll be successful with SEO, no matter what Google is doing :)
    Jens P. Berget recently posted…Niche Marketing – The Most Important ResearchMy Profile

Very good point Jens. I fixed a few things yesterday and saw results today on our retail site. I think Google crawls much quicker now with caffeine. 2 years ago it would have taken weeks for it to improve. Amazing stuff!

• Aswani

Well, thanks for these useful points. I was aware of Panda but not so aware of this Penguin. Anyways, these rules and regulations will keep coming. Finally, I believe it is all about doing what one should do and it should be legal. The basics must be followed without stretching it too far. Honestly, I am least bothered about what Google’s upto. I know finally I have to follow it all right by creating quality content which is where I am putting my best these days and slowly but surely….it should pay off ..!
    Aswani recently posted…Blogging Infographics – Must do things for bloggers after blog post completionMy Profile

• Mika Castro says:

I love it! I also see that SEO is very powerful to discuss especially for marketers and bloggers. SEO really helps.
    Mika Castro recently posted…אוכל ביתיMy Profile

• Shalu Sharma

SEO is pretty hard work. It does pay off when done consistently over time. Its quite hard work specially in the beginning.
    Shalu Sharma recently posted…How to Make Your First $1,000 OnlineMy Profile

• Susan Silver

SEO … It changes so quickly. This week Google killed PostRank which they had acquired a few years ago. All the widgets people have been using for stats, are going to be dead. I really liked Postrank too! *sigh* I am called you are so on top of it. You are much better at explaining it in plain language then me.

• Latha says:

Lisa,
    Just heard of the Penguin recently. I then realized that I was having more sales since the Penguin :) Needless to say this makes me very proud.
    I must be doing something right I guess.
    SEO is something you need to do (but not overdo). yes it is not worth stressing out on BUT it is something to keep in min when building a website or BLOG.
    I try not to sweat it out but then I go back once in a while and check on the H2, links (contextual), add or remove an image and add the alt tags.
    Not much but it seems to help.

• Atish Ranjan says:

SEO has been changed completely over the time. The days gone when SEOs just do link building to come up in first page of SEs. Now relevancy works everywhere. Everthing should be relevant. Relevant backlinks, relevant keywords in title and description; they should match with the page content. SEO became very challenging.
    Atish Ranjan recently posted…What’s New On Facebook & Gmail?My Profile