Clogs, Cancer, Conversations…..

Clogs, Cancer, Conversations

Clogs, cancer, conversatons lead up to the meeting. I met Carey today. We had been communicating through social networks for over a year after she purchased a pair of clogs for ovarian cancer awareness from our website. She then promoted it on Facebook and Twitter where we connected with clogs, cancer, conversations from time to time.

She had told me recently she would be in RI visiting relatives and I thought how could we not meet? So I took a day off from my day job and took the drive to Middletown (for most Rhode Islanders that’s like driving across the country.)

clogs and cancer

Meeting Over Clogs, Cancer, Conversations

We met for breakfast and chatted for over an hour. I never knew she had children along with her demanding job. Not only had she had ovarian cancer but she had been through breast cancer too! If I had run into her in the street I would have never known by looking at her. She was upbeat and determined. Her treatments are going well. It’s interesting how clogs, cancer, conversations can go on.

She told me how she got started with the idea of Teal Toes. She had painted her toes teal and when the other mothers at her kids bus stop had seen that, they started to paint theirs teal in support of Carey undergoing surgery and chemo. She decided it would be an easy way to spread awareness. So many women are not aware of the symptoms until it’s too late or that breast cancer can also be an indicator of possible ovarian cancer as well. A friend of hers created an awesome logo and the journey of Teal Toes began. You can visit her website at www.tealtoes.org

If you own a business or organization and would like to help please contact Teal Toes here: www.tealtoes.org/contact
September is National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month.

Symptoms Include:
Bloating that is persistent
Eating less and feeling fuller
Abdominal pain
Trouble with your bladder

You may also learn more at www.ovariancancer.org
Do you ever have clogs, cancer, conversations in your life too?

20 Responses to Clogs, Cancer, Conversations…..

• Jen says:

It’s a nice experience to be able to help other people through what you have and through the internet 🙂

Jen

• misssrobin says:

What a great idea. Thank you for sharing this.
    misssrobin recently posted…Why Doesn’t the World Stop?My Profile

• krystle says:

That’s so great you got to meet after all that time! And I love the painting the toes teal thing as support!

• Joanna says:

Wow, I hope she’s still doing well! She sounds like a really amazing lady. That’s really neat that you were able to meet up with her! I also didn’t know the symptoms of ovarian cancer at all. :-/

• mom2kmjx2 says:

My Grandma just had surgery for Ovarian Cancer and 25 years ago beat Breast Cancer. The saying in our family CANCER SUCKS. I like those butterflys clogs. Cute.
    mom2kmjx2 recently posted…GeocachingMy Profile

• Mothering From Scratch says:

{Kathy} I enjoyed reading about raising awareness for a cause in a creative way. Getting positive attention for an important issue has to be visible! Prayers lifted up for her battle from me today.

• Tricia says:

What an amazing woman and amazing story!

• Brenda

Lisa, that’s awesome ya’ll got to meet. What a powerful woman to battle not only one cancer, BUT TWO! My goodness! Have you keep in touch since? I hope she is still battling strong!

Yes, we have kept in touch. I also did a blog a while back on when the medications were no longer available. She was affected by it, so awful. Amazing to be fighting 2 forms on cancer.

• Lisa says:

Signing Charity, just found out she has breast cancer too – please say some prayers.
    Ms. Positivity – I didn't know that, glad to hear you are doing well.

• it's great to "BE" ™ says:

Thank You for sharing this information… so important to know your body. I found your post from Chasing Joy #FBF

• Ms. Positivity says:

Wow our bodies go thrugh so much and still we press on! It is amazing that the connection became so strong to meet up. I love a purpose behind anything. Its been 9 years since I had my last lasering off and I have been fine. (Thank God) It was a rough road but we still press on. I love this post! Visiting from #FBF

• Lisa says:

Always good to listen to your own body! But ovarian cancer is very hard to determine – it's called the Silent Killer.

• signingcharity says:

Wow! I am so glad Carey's treatments are going well. Thank you for sharing about your meeting. I am hoping to meet a couple fellow bloggers this May. I can't wait!

Visiting from Flashback Friday.

• Sammyjoe Dube says:

Thank you for such inspiring story, I will make myself more aware of my body.

Stopping by from Flashback Friday.